Rams injury update vs Colts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t have a problem with people saying Hendo is injury prone but I’d say that’s more prevalent when getting strains and tears etc. Yesterday some big bloke fell on his ribs, not much you can about that and a bit unlucky in my opinion. I thought he was looking decent (again) as well. Hopefully its nothing too bad.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don’t have a problem with people saying Hendo is injury prone but I’d say that’s more prevalent when getting strains and tears etc. Yesterday some big bloke fell on his ribs, not much you can about that and a bit unlucky in my opinion. I thought he was looking decent (again) as well. Hopefully its nothing too bad.
Yep that very large defender placed his knee directly into the right stomach & lower inner liver rib area. That knee went deep into Henderson.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Henderson 13 carries for 53 and a TD. 3 catches for 29.

Not over worked but, really good production that has to be replaced.

Hopefully he can be back to “full strength” in a week.

MauiRam

Rookie
Yeah, Henderson will be back next year for the final year of his rookie deal. He might not cost too much if they want to re-sign him. His agent won't be able to ask for starter type money with his injury issues. Would be nice to bring back Michel. We won't know how Akers responds to that injury. That is one where sometimes a guy isn't the same when he comes back.
Achilles surgeries are constantly evolving but as of yet it appears there is no "slam dunk" procedure. We all wish the best for Cam. After our acquisition of Matt Stafford, I was really really looking forward to watching Cam tote the rock after Matt softened up opposing secondaries and daring defenses to load the box to stop the run. Fingers crossed that Cam can come back and be at least 98% if not 100%

Cam Akers Faces Long Odds in Returning to Previous Standing

Published on July 20th, 2021 10:29 am EST

Written By: Dave Manuel

Achilles Tendon Rupture is one of the most serious injuries for a football player. Earlier today, the Los Angeles Rams received terrible news, as their budding superstar, Cam Akers, ruptured his Achilles tendon.

When you are talking about really bad injuries that a NFL player can suffer, a ruptured Achilles tendon is near the top of the list. For a running back, a ruptured Achilles can permanently alter their career.

There have been examples of high-level players returning from ruptured Achilles tendon to continue to perform at a high level. Demaryius Thomas and Terrell Suggs are two great examples.

A ruptured Achilles tendon for a running back, however, is particularly hard to bounce back from. In fact, a torn ACL is likely preferable. One of the biggest issues with a ruptured Achilles tendon is that it usually leads to more injuries down the road. There have been numerous examples in the NFL of players returning from this injury, only to suffer another crippling leg injury. On top of that, the Achilles tendon is so crucial for a running back, who is stopping, starting, cutting and exploding.

In 2013, NFL.com said that "our research concludes that no running back has ever recaptured sustained pre-injury form after rupturing an Achilles tendon". D'onta Foreman ruptured his Achilles tendon in 2018 and is now out of the league.

Edgar Bennett missed the 1997 season with the injury, and returned in 1998 to rush for 611 yards. Bennett would quit the next year. Andre Brown of the New York Giants ruptured his Achilles tendon, only to end up breaking his fibula. Marlon Mack ruptured his Achilles tendon last year and is going to attempt a comeback this season. The problem? The Colts have seemingly found a new number one guy in Jonathan Taylor. That is another issue with the injury - the running back position is already largely expendable, and teams will be quick to move onto somebody else.

In short - things are looking pretty bad for Cam Akers right now.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I thought I saw Henderson walking gingerly after a run near the goal line on the series he scored. My first thought was “uh oh here we go with an injury” but he eventually scored on that drive.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Achilles surgeries are constantly evolving but as of yet it appears there is no "slam dunk" procedure. We all wish the best for Cam. After our acquisition of Matt Stafford, I was really really looking forward to watching Cam tote the rock after Matt softened up opposing secondaries and daring defenses to load the box to stop the run. Fingers crossed that Cam can come back and be at least 98% if not 100%

Cam Akers Faces Long Odds in Returning to Previous Standing

Published on July 20th, 2021 10:29 am EST

Written By: Dave Manuel

Achilles Tendon Rupture is one of the most serious injuries for a football player. Earlier today, the Los Angeles Rams received terrible news, as their budding superstar, Cam Akers, ruptured his Achilles tendon.

When you are talking about really bad injuries that a NFL player can suffer, a ruptured Achilles tendon is near the top of the list. For a running back, a ruptured Achilles can permanently alter their career.

There have been examples of high-level players returning from ruptured Achilles tendon to continue to perform at a high level. Demaryius Thomas and Terrell Suggs are two great examples.

A ruptured Achilles tendon for a running back, however, is particularly hard to bounce back from. In fact, a torn ACL is likely preferable. One of the biggest issues with a ruptured Achilles tendon is that it usually leads to more injuries down the road. There have been numerous examples in the NFL of players returning from this injury, only to suffer another crippling leg injury. On top of that, the Achilles tendon is so crucial for a running back, who is stopping, starting, cutting and exploding.

In 2013, NFL.com said that "our research concludes that no running back has ever recaptured sustained pre-injury form after rupturing an Achilles tendon". D'onta Foreman ruptured his Achilles tendon in 2018 and is now out of the league.

Edgar Bennett missed the 1997 season with the injury, and returned in 1998 to rush for 611 yards. Bennett would quit the next year. Andre Brown of the New York Giants ruptured his Achilles tendon, only to end up breaking his fibula. Marlon Mack ruptured his Achilles tendon last year and is going to attempt a comeback this season. The problem? The Colts have seemingly found a new number one guy in Jonathan Taylor. That is another issue with the injury - the running back position is already largely expendable, and teams will be quick to move onto somebody else.

In short - things are looking pretty bad for Cam Akers right now.
:hijack:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And I would like to see a big power back to compliment Akers and or Henderson. A guy that can take some of the short yardage pounding.

They have been treating Henderson like he is 220 lb big back. Before he got hurt my son was saying it's only a matter of time if they keep pounding him between the tackles.... And then he went down.
Me too on the power back. As much as I love McVay one of his biggest blind spots is his fascination with speed at every level. Power matters too. In fact this offense has always looked its best when there is a power threat in the backfield.

Gurley gave us that. He was rare and could bust short gainers to put away games and stick that knife in, or bust long gainers. Once he started struggling the offense did not look the same until they brought in CJ Anderson who gave them a shot of life they rode to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately by that point CJ got ignored in the Super Bowl after helping us get there.

All these backs McVay prefers are agility/speed types who can work in run or passing game. That's his thing. Akers was one of those too, he just had some of that strength/power to his game like Gurley did. And IMO the irony is that as smart as he is he's got that preference wrong. If he'd build the run game with a power back everything else would be far better off.

This is why I think Michel is gonna be a godsend. As long as he can stay healthy of course.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think the scary part about our future, is that the threat of a run has always helped McVays system, and our top two running backs can not stay healthy. Akers has misses time his rookie year, and now missed his second season. Thinking he’s going to come back in top form for 17 games isn’t really a realistic thought to have. Hendo can’t stay healthy, but is a solid RB2. Who knows with Sony.

I personally think RB is a top need at this point.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the scary part about our future, is that the threat of a run has always helped McVays system, and our top two running backs can not stay healthy. Akers has misses time his rookie year, and now missed his second season. Thinking he’s going to come back in top form for 17 games isn’t really a realistic thought to have. Hendo can’t stay healthy, but is a solid RB2. Who knows with Sony.

I personally think RB is a top need at this point.
With all those 3rd day awarded draft selections, Snead is certain to select 2 or 3.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd like to think that the Rams are looking around for more RB depth. I'd also like to believe that they're also exploring trades before the deadline.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

I believe that in order to active Lawler again he'd have to be signed to the roster.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I believe that in order to active Lawler again he'd have to be signed to the roster.

Sean McVay Provides Updates on Kenny Young and Justin Lawler

1632182862309.png

Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay provided updates on two of his players that were forced out of Sunday’s win against the Indianapolis Colts for different reasons.

Linebacker Kenny Young was ejected from Sunday’s game after contacting a referee in the third quarter. It’s unclear what set Young off, as the play that immediately preceded his ejection was a run for no gain by Jonathan Taylor. McVay noted on Monday that he wasn’t expecting Young to face a suspension for the Rams Week 3 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

View: https://twitter.com/LindseyThiry/status/1440091582246440965

A broken hand and surgery aren’t going to prevent defensive end Justin Lawler from missing any time. Lawler broke his hand on Sunday, underwent the procedure on Monday, and could be ready in time for the Bucs game on Sunday. Lawler was elevated from the practice squad for the Week 2 contest, playing only three snaps before injuring his hand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Sean McVay Provides Updates on Kenny Young and Justin Lawler

View attachment 48152
Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay provided updates on two of his players that were forced out of Sunday’s win against the Indianapolis Colts for different reasons.

Linebacker Kenny Young was ejected from Sunday’s game after contacting a referee in the third quarter. It’s unclear what set Young off, as the play that immediately preceded his ejection was a run for no gain by Jonathan Taylor. McVay noted on Monday that he wasn’t expecting Young to face a suspension for the Rams Week 3 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

View: https://twitter.com/LindseyThiry/status/1440091582246440965

A broken hand and surgery aren’t going to prevent defensive end Justin Lawler from missing any time. Lawler broke his hand on Sunday, underwent the procedure on Monday, and could be ready in time for the Bucs game on Sunday. Lawler was elevated from the practice squad for the Week 2 contest, playing only three snaps before injuring his hand.

Thats good news on Henderson. If he misses this weekend, odds go up he’s ready for next.

I think this gets us to a more natural order; 1a Michel 1b Henderson

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Thats good news on Henderson. If he misses this weekend, odds go up he’s ready for next.

I think this gets us to a more natural order; 1a Michel 1b Henderson
It's actually not a bad idea to let him heal up this week. The Bucs give up 3 ypc and have been traditionally stout against the run.

Just give the occasional handoff to Michel and Funk to keep them honest.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well The Rams just picked up 2 of the 3 triplets from Louisville.Javain Halwkins.They have Buddy Howell already on the practice squad as well.
I'd like to think that the Rams are looking around for more RB depth. I'd also like to believe that they're also exploring trades before the deadline.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's actually not a bad idea to let him heal up this week. The Bucs give up 3 ypc and have been traditionally stout against the run.

Just give the occasional handoff to Michel and Funk to keep them honest.
Mcvay & Reggie say they are playing it smart & going to have him ready by Sunday. That interview cut out though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RB injuries are a league wide issue. Not saying Henderson isnt injury prone, but the amount of guys already hurt is mind boggling

TexasRam

Legend
Running vs Tampa is like hitting your head against the wall.

I expect Mcvay to come out passing like we did last year to beat Tampa, with that horrible QB that shall not be named.