Rams Hire Raheem Morris as new DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Hopefully Morris stays around for a couple of years. Maybe he'll be like Spags where he had his stint at HC and now he's just sitting back calling plays.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent! Now stick around for a couple years and get one of our position coaches ready for when somebody gives you a HC gig again.
Hopefully he does very well and that actually happens.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I keep seeing everyone seem ok with DWill leaving are you serious the guy was absolutely amazing. I don't want a low 1st rounder who replaces him think we have someone that is a sure thing with Ramsey. 50% of 1st rounders are busts this is crazy talk.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

This seems like a strong hire by the Rams. The quick action suggests that Morris had other options as well, and of course that Morris likes this opportunity. (What's not to like when you're starting with AD, Ramsay, and the No. 1 D in the league?)

Like others I will be curious to see how it works out in terms of the scheme. One would think for example that Morris would give strong consideration to keeping Ramsay in a movable "star" role-- of course, that by its nature gives the coach a lot of game to game flexibility in how he might be used.

Psycho_X

Legend
I keep seeing everyone seem ok with DWill leaving are you serious the guy was absolutely amazing. I don't want a low 1st rounder who replaces him think we have someone that is a sure thing with Ramsey. 50% of 1st rounders are busts this is crazy talk.

I don't think anyone wants him to go or is ok with it but it does soften the blow to be able to get a first rounder if it happens. We can't afford him this offseason so our hands are tied to the RFA tender that he'll likely get. So it's more about accepting the reality that we have one choice with him that has two possible outcomes. It is what it is. Hopefully no one thinks he is worth a 1st and a large contract and he sticks around one more year and we are able to afford him in the 2022 offseason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This seems like a strong hire by the Rams. The quick action suggests that Morris had other options as well, and of course that Morris likes this opportunity. (What's not to like when you're starting with AD, Ramsay, and the No. 1 D in the league?)

Like others I will be curious to see how it works out in terms of the scheme. One would think for example that Morris would give strong consideration to keeping Ramsay in a movable "star" role-- of course, that by its nature gives the coach a lot of game to game flexibility in how he might be used.
He was on his way to Jacksonville when McVay called him and he cancelled that interview to come to LA. He had options he was I think even interviewed for the Falcons job they saw a good turn around under him when Quinn was fired. Guys a good coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Im a little bit worry about the start of the season as a DC with the Falcons...

That's a valid point, Morris was the DC to start the season and then took over Head Coaching duties. I still believe he's a very good Assistant Coach and was high in demand, but before he was hired as Interim Head Coach, the Falcon defense gave up a ton of points in the first 5 games.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's a valid point, Morris was the DC to start the season and then took over Head Coaching duties. I still believe he's a very good Assistant Coach and was high in demand, but before he was hired as Interim Head Coach, the Falcon defense gave up a ton of points in the first 5 games.
Yeah I really dislike how that defense looked. But McVay likes him and the guy is well respected around the league so I'm onboard and hopeful with the hire.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Who do you all will get the assistant head coach nod now that Barry is heading to Chargers?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
He was on his way to Jacksonville when McVay called him and he cancelled that interview to come to LA. He had options he was I think even interviewed for the Falcons job they saw a good turn around under him when Quinn was fired. Guys a good coach.

Glad the Rams landed him. Jacksonville will be an up and coming franchise under Urban Meyer, so this was a good score. Rams are quicker on their feet in hires and trades than any sports organization I have ever seen.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And once the stench of Quinn was off the team and they had a better person leading them it was turned around and they played some pretty good football.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
there seems to be some question about how changing coaches ever year will affect the players but i can't believe how fast the rams can get things done when they want to. just hope it all works out sb here we come.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kind of wonder if it'll be Morris seeing as he has present experience.
I think the idea of it is to protect position coaches. McVay can refuse Morris getting another DC offer but not a HC offer.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think the idea of it is to protect position coaches. McVay can refuse Morris getting another DC offer but not a HC offer.

I guess that makes sense. I always found it odd that Barry was the Assistant Head Coach and just chalked it up to his immense experience.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
I wonder if the time taken to officially name Morris as DC had something to do with opinions over Barry as LB coach, as maybe he Morris decided to bring in another coach and there were discussions over this with McVay. Pure conjecture, but the timing makes it interesting.