Rams Hire Raheem Morris as new DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Do you think Mcvay is the coach with the knowledge to teach Morris the system Staley installed? We lost Joe Barry and Aubrey Pleasant.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams plan to keep Staley's defensive scheme under Morris – with new wrinkles

Free agency is still more than a month away but the Los Angeles Rams have already suffered a few significant losses to their defense. Those losses have just come on the coaching staff and not (yet) on the roster itself.

None were bigger than the departure of defensive coordinator Brandon Staley, who was hired as the Chargers’ head coach. The Rams ranked first in the NFL in scoring defense and total defense this season in Staley’s first year as a defensive coordinator, installing a system that highlighted the ability of Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey, among others.

The Rams replaced Staley rather quickly by hiring former Falcons interim coach Raheem Morris, opting not to promote from within. With Morris guiding the defense now, Les Snead doesn’t expect a whole lot to change scheme-wise.

He told reporters Tuesday that while Morris will add his own wrinkles, the overall system will remain in place.

Some fans worried that when Morris was brought in, he would completely change what Staley had done so successfully this season. Coming from primarily 4-3 defenses, there was even some speculation about whether the Rams could switch to a 4-3 front in base sets.

That’s still possible, but based on the way Snead is talking, it’s unlikely. With how much success the Rams had in 2020, why change much at all?

As the saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” And the Rams defense certainly isn’t broken.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Do you think Mcvay is the coach with the knowledge to teach Morris the system Staley installed? We lost Joe Barry and Aubrey Pleasant.
He's the head coach. He should know the system. It would be a shame if he didn't.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think that's exactly what will happen. Which actually doesn't concern me as much as Morris' track record as a DC. Said before I think this is McVay's first real friend hire and I fear that far more than whether McVay had a strong grasp of Staley's scheme. Because I am certain he does and I'll bet he could coordinate a defense at this level and he'd probably be damn good at it lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Always looking for the silver lining in things... The good thing about the coaching turnover...

Opportunity to improve day preparation.

If you were to pick apart McVay’s track record, it might be here. It sure feels like too many times we lose because the other team has an out-think strategy we haven’t anticipated. And we are slow if unable to counterpunch.

(It comes up around here as... “I can tell if we will win or lose from the first few series”)

McVay’s record leading at halftime is perfect. So, when he “guesses right” in the preparation... we win.

But there feels opportunity to improve how we anticipate the other team‘s attack on us.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always looking for the silver lining in things... The good thing about the coaching turnover...

If you were to pick apart McVay’s track record, it might be here. It sure feels like too many times we lose because the other team has an out-think strategy we haven’t anticipated. And we are slow if unable to counterpunch.

(It comes up around here as... “I can tell if we will win or lose from the first few series”)

McVay’s record leading at halftime is perfect. So, when he “guesses right” in the preparation... we win.

But there feels opportunity to improve how we anticipate the other team‘s attack on us.

They keep telling us his record when the Rams lead at the half. What's his record when the Rams are behind at the half? It's got to be something like 4 and 20.

So i think you are 100% correct in your synopsis.

TexasRam

Legend

Agreed. It is common to face some different looks and stuff, but our team was a tad slow adjusting. Though Mcvays halftime adjustments were almost always on the mark.

I feel like Morris could tweak our system just enough to add the dimension of aggressive blitzing it lacked once in a while.

Maybe some recruits he can get will also help.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
They keep telling us his record when the Rams lead at the half. What's his record when the Rams are behind at the half? It's got to be something like 4 and 20.

So i think you are 100% correct in your synopsis.

He's 11-21 when not leading at the half, according to what I could dig up.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep seeing everyone seem ok with DWill leaving are you serious the guy was absolutely amazing. I don't want a low 1st rounder who replaces him think we have someone that is a sure thing with Ramsey. 50% of 1st rounders are busts this is crazy talk.
I haven’t seen a single person not want d Williams where are you reading this?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
At first impression, I like the Morris hire already: Keep the core values of the defensive philosophy while evolving it with the newcomers, if they synergize together, defense further evolves and keeps the element of surprise

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
At first impression, I like the Morris hire already: Keep the core values of the defensive philosophy while evolving it with the newcomers, if they synergize together, defense further evolves and keeps the element of surprise
We should implement that strategy on offense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I haven’t seen a single person not want d Williams where are you reading this?

I think the worry is that someone who's drafting in the mid 20s or beyond will opt to pick him up at that price for a year and then extend him as opposed to a late 1st round crap shoot...

Strong case can be made for that and I really hope it doesn't happen...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the worry is that someone who's drafting in the mid 20s or beyond will opt to pick him up at that price for a year and then extend him as opposed to a late 1st round crap shoot...

Can't the Rams match the offer if they want to keep him?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Can't the Rams match the offer if they want to keep him?

Well, they have the option, but if someone offers him a multi-year contract above $8M/yr.. we won't be able to match that.

We have the option to match it, but if they pay him as a top #2, he's gone.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I imagine the Lions will be looking at Hill, and possibly going after Williams if he’s given a 2nd round tender.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
A 2nd round tender is insane and the Rams deserve to lose Williams if they do that.