Rams have least athletic roster in NFL, per RAS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I truly believe that Snead and McVay have their own secret metric that works for this system.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
These numbers are taken from draft data. I wonder if it even holds true after players acclimate into the Rams’ system. We seem to be pretty good at sports science, people like AD’s emphasis on work and training etc.?

dang

Legend
I truly believe that Snead and McVay have their own secret metric that works for this system.
Let’s see how this year pans out but McSnead may have cracked the code for getting the most bang for the buck in the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not saying I put a lot of faith in some of the metrics used here, and we certainly have been a lot more successful than some of the "more athletic" teams out there. Interesting emphasis, though, on how we do things differently. Ending suggests special teams and defense would benefit by us adding more traditionally athletic players, but also neglects to look at where we have been drafting for several prior seasons.

Sporting news

The Los Angeles Rams don’t put a lot of stock in athletic testing numbers when targeting prospects in the draft. Instead, they focus on how a player performs on film and their game speed, which is captured by player-tracking data in games or at events like the Senior Bowl or the Combine, where Puka Nacua reached the fastest speed of any prospect in the gauntlet drill or Van Jefferson's GPS tracking at the Senior Bowl.

Their lower emphasis on athletic testing led them to select players such as Cooper Kupp in the third round and Nacua in the fifth last year. This year, they drafted Miami safety Kamren Kinchens in Round 3 despite his 4.65 in the 40.

Kent Lee Platte runs the Relative Athletic Score (RAS) testing database, an overall measurement of a player's athleticism based on weighted testing compared to thousands of peers.

Their 2024 draft class ranked 23rd among all teams in Relative Athletic Score, and their current roster ranks even lower than that compared to the rest of the league. According to Kent Lee Platte, the Rams’ RAS of 6.66 is the lowest in the NFL, significantly lower than the next-closest team (Raiders, 6.91).

The Rams have always beat to their own drum, but it is fascinating to see just how far they really lean away from the rest of the league. The Rams don't take chances on raw athletes in the draft, preferring to take more experienced and older players, and that can be a double-edged sword.

Platte notes that this is how the Rams have seemingly operated for decades, and that hasn't stopped them from being successful recently. However, it is important to note that most of their best players over that time (Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller) all scored 7.00s or higher in RAS testing. Even recent contributors like Steve Avila, Kobie Turner, Jared Verse, and Byron Young all tested higher, perhaps an indication of them potentially expanding their horizons in the draft.

I think this is one of their biggest issues, as it impacts every phase of the game, particularly on special teams and on defense (see Derion Kendrick's 4.6 40). In my opinion, the Rams have proven to be good enough coaches to take a chance on young, raw athletes instead. However, the Rams are wont to go their own way, and it certainly hasn't diminished their success under Sean McVay.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I was relieved after seeing Snead’s first draft once McVay arrived. I was critical of Les and Fisher for their drafting failures. Apparently Fisher was the driving force behind the athletic freaks like Jackrabbit. I recall him loving that Alabama RB that was a top pick, due to his amazing workouts (he was basically a bust. Can’t recall his name. Maybe Trent?).

I wanted football players and that is what McVay apparently wanted too. Maybe Snead did all along.

Another thing we tend to do, especially lately, is to draft LEADERS. In my opinion, you can't have enough leaders on your team. These are the guys that don't accept failure, and hold the other players accountable.
I think this has been the revelation that they have discovered more recently. They do not interview at the combine. Instead, they make all participants take a test. The test was created by a guy who wrote a book on performance on Wall Street or something like that. The Rams hired him as a consultant.

The Colts did this a few years ago with a military type who created a test for leadership skills. At the time they were building a very good team and I was wishing the Rams would do the same. Not only are they doing the same, they seem to be doing it even better. I’ll see if I can find the excerpt from Jourdan’s article.
IMG_9348.png

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
To be fair that dude couldn't stay healthy.
LMAO - so your saying if healthy he makes the roster ? Super simple question with now excuses.

He was cut by The Rams & from what that means is he had to be resigned to another contract? I use to know contracts a little bit,but refuse now a days of looking it up. From DAY 1 training camp 2/3 years ago when he wasn’t hurt & penciled in as a starter.TALK about WISHFUL THINKING !! Bobby Evan’s was the player he had to beat out ?
Well maybe Anchrum.

WOW - how FAR The Rams have come with there front 3!!! Limmer who was a late RD pick will beat him out for sure if healthy.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I got suckered in by Logan Bruss' RAS score at guard. Since then, I have RAS in the IDGAF category.

I got suckered in by Logan Bruss as well. I wonder if the scout who jumped into the pool when the Rams drafted Bruss is still scouting for the Rams. What a wasted draft pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I got suckered in by Logan Bruss as well. I wonder if the scout who jumped into the pool when the Rams drafted Bruss is still scouting for the Rams. What a wasted draft pick.
I think that was a coach who jumped in the pool when Robert Rochelle was drafted.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
How did Bruss get an RAS of 9.66? Anyone who has seen him play in preseason should be able to tell you he is slow after the snap and to react, and looks clumsy as hell trying to recover. Did he leave that RAS at Wisconsin when he graduated?

I hope Bruss has taken the offseason seriously to work on conditioning, balance and footwork. Otherwise, it’s N.F.L.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Damn Snead and McVay ... I mean, besides playing football, what are any of the guys on our roster good at that warranted them being on the team??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I was relieved after seeing Snead’s first draft once McVay arrived. I was critical of Les and Fisher for their drafting failures. Apparently Fisher was the driving force behind the athletic freaks like Jackrabbit. I recall him loving that Alabama RB that was a top pick, due to his amazing workouts (he was basically a bust. Can’t recall his name. Maybe Trent?).

I wanted football players and that is what McVay apparently wanted too. Maybe Snead did all along.

I think this has been the revelation that they have discovered more recently. They do not interview at the combine. Instead, they make all participants take a test. The test was created by a guy who wrote a book on performance on Wall Street or something like that. The Rams hired him as a consultant.

The Colts did this a few years ago with a military type who created a test for leadership skills. At the time they were building a very good team and I was wishing the Rams would do the same. Not only are they doing the same, they seem to be doing it even better. I’ll see if I can find the excerpt from Jourdan’s article.View attachment 65699

From what has been said about interviews at the combine is that they can do it O’Line.
The Rams send certain coaches as well,but just not the DC /OC exact.& HC.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
How did Bruss get an RAS of 9.66? Anyone who has seen him play in preseason should be able to tell you he is slow after the snap and to react, and looks clumsy as hell trying to recover. Did he leave that RAS at Wisconsin when he graduated?

I hope Bruss has taken the offseason seriously to work on conditioning, balance and footwork. Otherwise, it’s N.F.L.
Has Bruss played in the pre season? I know he got injured in 2022 so when has he ever been on the field?

~ArkyRamsFan~

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Back in the day, guys used to come into training camp fat and out of shape. Camp was the time to get in shape and maybe cut back to two packs of cigarettes a day. But damn, those guys could play some football!
Yep, they had that high GRISTLE factor going on. It's more important than RAS if you ask me.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
So…who made the top 5?
Just curious.
Here’s the top 5 teams (highest RAS)

1) colts
2) eagles
3) jets
4)jags
5) gmen

Cmon, only the eagles made the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, every one of those teams saw their QB get injured in some capacity except philly. Three had season ending injuries. Just sayin’.

Ram65

Legend
I have found the RAZ scoring interesting. Darrell Henderson's 10-yard split was top-level fast. I never saw it as he looked bigger and a little slower in the NFL. Still, I'm sure there are good arguments for both sides. The Rams defense needed to upgrade the athletic ability of the squad. Bryon Young and Kobie Turner were a good start.