Rams have least athletic roster in NFL, per RAS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kentuckyrams

Pro Bowler
Not saying I put a lot of faith in some of the metrics used here, and we certainly have been a lot more successful than some of the "more athletic" teams out there. Interesting emphasis, though, on how we do things differently. Ending suggests special teams and defense would benefit by us adding more traditionally athletic players, but also neglects to look at where we have been drafting for several prior seasons.

Sporting news

The Los Angeles Rams don’t put a lot of stock in athletic testing numbers when targeting prospects in the draft. Instead, they focus on how a player performs on film and their game speed, which is captured by player-tracking data in games or at events like the Senior Bowl or the Combine, where Puka Nacua reached the fastest speed of any prospect in the gauntlet drill or Van Jefferson's GPS tracking at the Senior Bowl.

Their lower emphasis on athletic testing led them to select players such as Cooper Kupp in the third round and Nacua in the fifth last year. This year, they drafted Miami safety Kamren Kinchens in Round 3 despite his 4.65 in the 40.

Kent Lee Platte runs the Relative Athletic Score (RAS) testing database, an overall measurement of a player's athleticism based on weighted testing compared to thousands of peers.

Their 2024 draft class ranked 23rd among all teams in Relative Athletic Score, and their current roster ranks even lower than that compared to the rest of the league. According to Kent Lee Platte, the Rams’ RAS of 6.66 is the lowest in the NFL, significantly lower than the next-closest team (Raiders, 6.91).

The Rams have always beat to their own drum, but it is fascinating to see just how far they really lean away from the rest of the league. The Rams don't take chances on raw athletes in the draft, preferring to take more experienced and older players, and that can be a double-edged sword.

Platte notes that this is how the Rams have seemingly operated for decades, and that hasn't stopped them from being successful recently. However, it is important to note that most of their best players over that time (Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller) all scored 7.00s or higher in RAS testing. Even recent contributors like Steve Avila, Kobie Turner, Jared Verse, and Byron Young all tested higher, perhaps an indication of them potentially expanding their horizons in the draft.

I think this is one of their biggest issues, as it impacts every phase of the game, particularly on special teams and on defense (see Derion Kendrick's 4.6 40). In my opinion, the Rams have proven to be good enough coaches to take a chance on young, raw athletes instead. However, the Rams are wont to go their own way, and it certainly hasn't diminished their success under Sean McVay.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Sporting news

Kent Lee Platte runs the Relative Athletic Score (RAS) testing database, an overall measurement of a player's athleticism based on weighted testing compared to thousands of peers.

Their 2024 draft class ranked 23rd among all teams in Relative Athletic Score, and their current roster ranks even lower than that compared to the rest of the league. According to Kent Lee Platte, the Rams’ RAS of 6.66 is the lowest in the NFL, significantly lower than the next-closest team (Raiders, 6.91).
Sometimes I think they are splitting hairs with these metrics.
Wake me up, when there is a metric for passion to play the game.... (I'm looking at you Puka, Kupp, Stafford, the Conductor and the FSU rooks...!!) :woozy2:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Damn, and to think I’d we didn’t cut Rochell, we might be out of the RAS cellar.

Vernon Gholston likes this post.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, Snead's done well when he hasn't targeted the freak athletes with no understanding of the game. Greg Robinson, Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, Jacob Harris, Isaiah Pead, Maurice Alexander, Temarrick Hemingway, Robert Rochell, etc. None of them have had the careers of Cooper Kupp (who dropped because of his 40 time), of Aaron Donald (who, while he did have outstanding athleticism, didn't necessarily have the size that others preferred out of their defensive tackles), or even Rob Havenstein (who had the lowest bench press of any offensive tackle in his draft...and yet he's still chugging along, and he'll have a successful ten-year career when he reaches 2025).

Yes, you have the exceptions, the Avilas, the Verses, the Agent Zeros, the Conductors, the Kingpins, but normally, they don't care how fast you play; they care how smart you play, how dedicated you are, your football IQ, and that's what every draft pick we've taken has in common, especially the successful ones.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got suckered in by Logan Bruss' RAS score at guard. Since then, I have RAS in the IDGAF category.

yep. i wish all these nerds would come up with a play football score.

of course if they knew that they would be hired by nfl teams.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Publish statistically relevant data showing a correlation between what you deem to be aggregate “athletic” traits on a roster and WINNING and then I’ll worry about your rankings.

Until then…not concerned.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unsurprisingly, with the Rams having less premium picks and aiming for win now, they've tended to draft high IQ players who are likely to be solid role players. I imagine if we have more high draft picks in future years, we'll see them take better athletes. But when you're picking a bunch of dudes on Day 3, you're generally choosing between athletically gifted projects and athletically flawed guys who can play a specific role.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Don't know what the hell this stupid rank is trying to prove but I'm sick of signing athletic projects!! First time I ever heard of that term was jacoby somebody, a bust DB brilliant draft pick of ours back in 2002?

Look where it has SF roster though, can we get a lamer list of nothings? I swear these bloggers be bored!!!!!!

Over It Reaction GIF by jjjjjohn

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Another thing we tend to do, especially lately, is to draft LEADERS. In my opinion, you can't have enough leaders on your team. These are the guys that don't accept failure, and hold the other players accountable.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
One of the absolute worst RAS guys out there is Kyren Williams.

You know.. the guy who lead the NFL in yards per game.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Notice how they cherry pick our roster to create controversy (i.e., DK), like it was our plan to wash out Rochelle.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Back in the day, guys used to come into training camp fat and out of shape. Camp was the time to get in shape and maybe cut back to two packs of cigarettes a day. But damn, those guys could play some football!