Rams have fired Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Now, we just have to fire just about everyone else, including most of our offensive team, and a couple defensive guys.

Overall, this year has just sucked, and would someone start a fund me, to pay us even with the NFL officials.
I can agree with you as far as the Offensive Coaches and the Offensive Lin goes but We do have a few Offensive Players worth Keeping and on Defense I would Keep the Coaching Staff and I think we only need to Replace a few Players! JMHO!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" Now we have a Very Short Week and we get to go Play in Seattle!!" Oh! Boy!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/12/rams-fire-jeff-fisher-who-might-replace-him

It Was Inevitable: The Rams Fire Jeff Fisher
After a rising tide of turmoil culminating in a humiliating home loss to the Falcons, the Rams have parted ways with coach Jeff Fisher. The big remaining question: Who will replace him? (And will Jim Harbaugh pick up the phone?)
by Albert Breer

jeff-fisher-filed-tile.jpg

Photo: Adam Glanzman/Getty Images

The obvious question I had when I wrapped up the reporting on my Rams column last week: What would it take for coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead to save their jobs?

Wins would help, but that wasn’t really it.

It was explained by one person that Fisher and Snead had to prove they could work together and facilitate a healthy environment inside the building. Another said the Rams had to show they weren’t—and this is the term he used—a “clown show”. The collapse following a 3-1 start was bad enough. The ominous feel inside “Rams Junior High” was worse.

Then, the Falcons game happened.

The Rams fumbled the opening kickoff and yielded a touchdown on the next play. Later in the first quarter, they allowed Atlanta to embark on an 88-yard touchdown drive, despite the Falcons going at it without their two best receivers. Then there was a pick-six. After that the stadium started to empty, and the punchlines flowed.

Somehow, what transpired post-game might have made it worse. In a week during which organizational in-fighting was exposed, the man whose face was plastered all over Southern California this spring and summer as the team returned to L.A.—Todd Gurley—went in on the whole operation.

First he called the offense “middle school”, which seemed like no coincidence given the existing storyline. Then Gurley added, “We're just going through the motions. It looks like everybody's just playing to get through."

So the clown show on the field had given way to a star player conceding that those drawing paychecks from Stan Kroenke were all just, sort of, doing their own thing. It was time to draw up the divorce papers.

At that point the only thing that might have saved Jeff Fisher’s job was the fact that the Rams were going into a short week, and pulling off that kind of change would be a logistical challenge. In the end, even that wasn’t enough, which tells you that management didn’t feel it had much choice left to make.

So where do the Rams go from here?

First of all, they have a decision to make on Snead and his personnel staff. Over the last few months there was a feeling in league circles that Fisher would try to push Snead out and encourage the Rams to bring in a strong voice, like Bill Polian (Fisher’s old friend from the competition committee), to realign the football side of the organization.

Additionally, coaches openly complained about depth issues on the roster, and those complaints certainly made their way up the corporate ladder. There’s no question there’s a talented young core at the top of the roster—the Rams did have back-to-back rookies of the year in 2014 and ’15. What’s harder to tell is whether that’ll be enough to save Snead.

The second piece of this—the impending coaching search—plays right into the first, and could be the death knell for those remaining. Imposing a sitting GM on your next coach will necessarily shallow your pool of candidates. How much is a variable, but there will be coaches who won’t want to inherit someone else’s GM.

When the Rams do get to that next phase of this, they’ll have elements to sell (Los Angeles, Gurley/Aaron Donald/Alec Ogletree, and for some Jared Goff). It should be even clearer what they have to buy. And that’s a coach who will come in and shake the place up.

Those on the personnel side were vocal about what was seen as a country-club environment in the locker room. The team wasn’t hitting enough in practice, according to some; offensive players, and particularly those along the line, weren’t being developed, according to others; And there was a general lack of accountability permeating from Fisher’s players’-coach ways, according to many.

In short, on the surface, the Rams need to find a modern version of Bill Parcells.

Perfect would be Jim Harbaugh, who’s always steered focus to fundamentals and discipline, has history developing quarterbacks, and has California ties and would probably love to shove it up the Niners’ behind. I’d expect at least a phone call would be made, but (to be abundantly clear) there’s no indication Harbaugh is ready to leave his alma mater to return to the NFL.

Another collegiate name I believe the Rams will inquire about: Stanford’s David Shaw, who (like Harbaugh) is at his alma mater and hasn’t shown an inclination to leave.

And Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan are two others that make logical sense for some of the same reasons Harbaugh does.

As for the rest of the 2016 season, consider this: Over the last two weeks alone the Rams have dealt with Fisher bickering with franchise icon Eric Dickerson, Fisher fouling up the names of the Patriots’ running backs on a conference call, and Fisher’s problems with Snead and the scouting staff bubbling to the surface. Even if they go 0-3 to close out the year, it can’t get much worse that it already is.

Which tells you everything about why this needed to happen now.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theringer.com/los-angeles-rams-fire-jeff-fisher-nfl-1545c8efb778#.o41miljvf

Firing Jeff Fisher Won’t Save the Rams From 7–9
The coach might be gone, but the franchise still seems set on mediocrity
Rodger Sherman
Staff writer, The Ringer

1*xAlY1w6g5811tcP8jt5TVQ.jpeg

(Getty Images/Ringer illustration)

Here’s the last touchdown the Los Angeles Rams scored under head coach Jeff Fisher, who was fired on Monday.

View: https://twitter.com/waynekai/status/808399103990169600

Down 42–7 in the game that eliminated the Rams from playoff contention, Fisher’s coaching staff called an option play for Jared Goff, the rookie quarterback for whom Los Angeles gave up two first-round picks, two second-round picks, and two third-round picks to select with the no. 1 pick in this year’s draft.

He sprinted head-first into two Falcons defenders, one of whom hit him high, and one of whom hit him low. Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum set off fireworks to celebrate the touchdown.

In the short term, it made sense. The Rams scored! Hooray! In the bigger picture, many parts of it were troubling. How could a team that spent so long sitting Goff for the sake of his development justify having him risk his body in such a meaningless situation? Why call this play down 35? Why are you down 35 in the first place?

The Goff touchdown is a lot like the firing of his first head coach. Like any touchdown at any point in time, his firing is an obvious win for the franchise. But all the things happening around these immediate successes make me wonder if anybody within the organization has any idea what’s going on.

This was Fisher’s fifth season as the Rams’ head coach, and the team has failed to reach .500 in all five.

He ends his tenure with 165 career losses, tied for the most of any coach in NFL history. That he may permanently be on the precipice of a distinction for bad coaching is fitting: Fisher’s defining tendency was his tepidity. He’d been an NFL coach for 22 of the last 23 seasons, but managed only six winning records.

Meanwhile, he managed to win between six and eight games 12 times. He was never good enough to get excited about nor bad enough to get pissed at. He is an expert in passing the buck, routinely providing excuses for the team’s semi-failures.

Before the season, Fisher promised on HBO’s Hard Knocks that this year would be different. He’d been with the Rams for four years, going 7–9 twice, 7–8–1 once, and 6–10 once. But this team was better. “I’m not fucking going 7–9,” he proudly proclaimed. And he kept going, like LeBron James promising Miami eight titles: “Or 8–8. Or 9–7, or 10–6 for that matter.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5AIoh-Sz8g

Of course, he was right: He was fired at 4–9. This Rams team was different: It wasn’t mediocre; it was awful. The Rams offense is the worst in the NFL by any reasonable metric. They’re last in basic stats like points per game, last in pace-adjusted stats like yards per play, and last in advanced stats like offensive DVOA.

On Sunday, Todd Gurley, one of the most explosive running backs in recent college and NFL memory, called it a “middle school offense.” That they’ve managed to win even four games is a testament to the brilliance of their defense: No team had won a game while scoring fewer than 10 points since 2012, and the Rams have done it twice this year.

The right answer would’ve been to fire him a while ago. This season was a waste, in many ways, most of which can be traced back to Fisher. The efforts of a strong defense were counteracted by a horrendous offense. They lost a critical year for Goff’s development, as he spent most of the season benched while he learned a system that he’ll never play in again now that Fisher’s gone. And as they attempt to rebuild a fan base in Los Angeles, they were led by one of the most aggressively uninspiring people the NFL has to offer.

The wrong answer would have been to keep him past this year, but I’m somewhat surprised the team has grown the courage to do so. Just a week ago, it appeared as if Fisher had an unbreakable grip on the Rams that would permit him to coach forever. His agent is Marvin Demoff, whose son is Rams COO Kevin Demoff. Last week, somebody leaked that Fisher had signed a contract extension with the team before the season.

The Rams chose an exceptionally middling way to fire an exceptionally middling coach. Axing him now does nothing except leave the team rudderless for its final three games. (Special teams coach John Fassell will serve as interim head coach.) The recent contract extension shows the team’s ambivalence. And worst of all, the decision to let Fisher coach most of this year allowed him to squander this season while making decisions that could mire them in mediocrity long past his firing.

His reluctance to play Goff delays the team’s understanding of whether or not he’s actually a franchise QB. The fact that the team traded away so many picks to get Goff means the next coach will have less of an opportunity to rebuild. And with the Chargers most likely moving to Los Angeles next year, fans who weren’t convinced by the first season of the Rams will now have an alternative.

The NFL’s King of Mediocrity is dead. Long live 7–9.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know why people have to bring up how much someone made, as if that erases the pain and/or humiliation. Losing your job is still a bummer, depressing, and it tears at your ego quite a bit. I don't care if he made $35M or $35.00. It's still poor form to celebrate that happening to someone else.

Because I'd say it's poor form to celebrate some poor guy who just scrapes by getting fired. That could destroy his life. Fisher? Nah. He's made a ton of money in a volatile profession despite not getting the results that were asked of him. That's life as a NFL Head Coach. It's what he signed up for and why he demanded to get paid the big bucks.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Yeah Robinson, Goff and Austin have been real winners to date..........

I love instant gratification. Robinson and Austin haven't been met expectations but I'd like to see what they can do with a good coaching staff on offense. Boudreau, Schottenheimer, Boras, and Cignetti aren't really cut out to develop offensive players in today's NFL.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Not saying I disagree with this move, but I am not celebrating a man losing his job either. Fisher wanted more than anything to make the Rams great again. I have no doubt about that. This is a depressing day that hammers home the dysfunction of this team right now. Hopefully we are able to get a new HC in here quick and he can get to work putting out this dumpster fire....
I feel the same way. Fisher took the Rams as far as he's capable of doing. Took us from a 2-14 team to mediocrity.
Now we want another Super Bowl run. Sorry Fish but we want more than you can offer.

Maybe Fassel is a golden nugget. I'm ready to start that 3-0 run to close this baby out on a high note. Look the eff out, Chickens ........ here we come to bust your jocks.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Coach Fassel seemed to be a bit overwhelmed in his interview on local TV but boy you sure root for him. Fisher gave him his blessing, One thing we all must remember is when we hire our coach the chances of any of our coaches being retained will be up to the new H.C making their chances the same as any outsider or only slightly better. I believe Snead is gone just not yet he has honestly been about average certainly not exceptional when posting his success's pease don't leave out all the failures as well. Those that call JJ a success must also call him a failure since he was not retained and is clearly better than our present CB's and yes that is the Job of a GM

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Coach Fassel seemed to be a bit overwhelmed in his interview on local TV but boy you sure root for him. Fisher gave him his blessing, One thing we all must remember is when we hire our coach the chances of any of our coaches being retained will be up to the new H.C making their chances the same as any outsider or only slightly better. I believe Snead is gone just not yet he has honestly been about average certainly not exceptional when posting his success's pease don't leave out all the failures as well. Those that call JJ a success must also call him a failure since he was not retained and is clearly better than our present CB's and yes that is the Job of a GM

Thanks for the report from local TV my friend. Good to see these kind of things for us out of the area. I most definitely agree on the new HC choosing his own people per say, but hope Fassel can stick in some way..

That said, is there even a coaches show tonight? I heard on Postgame broadcast yesterday the Snead would be doing it again? Just wondering if they cancelled it totally?

Lesson

Oh, really?

Regarding JJ, I honestly don't know if that was Snead's call or not. Until recently, Fisher seemed like he had final say on the roster. If that's the case, that's not Les' decision. That was Fisher's.

If Snead didn't have final say on personnel, and Fisher did, I don't see why he shouldn't be given a chance to hire a coach and have final say on personnel.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sounds like completely/ While I wouldn't have been surprised to see him stay on in some capacity, it is probably for the best to just move on completely.
Yeah that's what I thought too but the way it read when I saw the announcement made me wonder.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Because I'd say it's poor form to celebrate some poor guy who just scrapes by getting fired. That could destroy his life. Fisher? Nah. He's made a ton of money in a volatile profession despite not getting the results that were asked of him. That's life as a NFL Head Coach. It's what he signed up for and why he demanded to get paid the big bucks.
Meh. Let me know how you feel if you become a successful partner in a firm and then get tossed aside for failure to perform. You'll be okay if you made a lot of money up to that point - that's true - but you know it would suck ass and you'd feel like shit. I know this is rather commonplace in the NFL. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying it's (to me) shitty to celebrate it. Celebrating a change in direction and hope for a new future - sure. That's totally understandable. Celebrating someone losing their job and ridiculing his time here - that's just stupid.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh. Let me know how you feel if you become a successful partner in a firm and then get tossed aside for failure to perform. You'll be okay if you made a lot of money up to that point - that's true - but you know it would suck ass and you'd feel like crap. I know this is rather commonplace in the NFL. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying it's (to me) crappy to celebrate it. Celebrating a change in direction and hope for a new future - sure. That's totally understandable. Celebrating someone losing their job and ridiculing his time here - that's just stupid.
Good to see you X.....(y)

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Meh. Let me know how you feel if you become a successful partner in a firm and then get tossed aside for failure to perform. You'll be okay if you made a lot of money up to that point - that's true - but you know it would suck ass and you'd feel like crap. I know this is rather commonplace in the NFL. I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying it's (to me) crappy to celebrate it. Celebrating a change in direction and hope for a new future - sure. That's totally understandable. Celebrating someone losing their job and ridiculing his time here - that's just stupid.

Doesn't that just make you a shitty attorney? :LOL:
Who cares about "feel"