Rams Grab Kicker Matt Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some people lack the ability to comprehend what others are saying. To him it seems that Blankenship having a weak leg and not being able to kick FG's reliably over about 42 yards and not also being able to kick off in the NFL means he's bad or as bad as Sloman was. It's ok we laugh at him and move on to the next subject hoping he'll eventually get up to speed with the rest of us. For the record most everybody he's insulting and spending half a day digging back through comments for absolutely no reason will tell you Blankenship is a very accurate kicker inside about 42 yards. He likely could be a good kicker for the Rams too until 2 or 3 years down the road when even Corbin is tired of having to have a gameday active roster spot for a 2nd kicker because we're not going to have Hekker kick off regularly and even more so he'll get tired of always punting in 30-40 yard range instead of trying long FG's.

Blankenship would have been a better option than Sloman in hindsight. But we weren't going to waste a pick on a Kicker who couldn't be the answer. We took a shot on Sloman. It failed. He's gone. I'm glad he's gone after what a disaster he was. We might be taking a shot on Gay. He also has potential to be the answer. He could also suck and be gone soon. But Blankenship would have never been anything more than "Kicker purgatory" (to steal the old QB purgatory cliche). He's good enough to hit the high percentage kicks, but his weak leg limits our offense and special teams. Don't know why Corbin is so bothered by that notion. We can take another stab at the Kicker position this off-season if we don't find a guy this year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Blankenship would have been a better option than Sloman in hindsight. But we weren't going to waste a pick on a Kicker who couldn't be the answer. We took a shot on Sloman. It failed. He's gone. I'm glad he's gone after what a disaster he was. We might be taking a shot on Gay. He also has potential to be the answer. He could also suck and be gone soon. But Blankenship would have never been anything more than "Kicker purgatory" (to steal the old QB purgatory cliche). He's good enough to hit the high percentage kicks, but his weak leg limits our offense and special teams. Don't know why Corbin is so bothered by that notion. We can take another stab at the Kicker position this off-season if we don't find a guy this year.
I agree.
My biggest fear, though, is it taking a few years.

I've watched the Chargers lose so many close games in the past couple of years that could have been won if not for missed FGs.
This year their losing close games because of poor coaching decisions.

We have, no doubt, been spoiled with the run of solid kickers we've had.

Right now, I'd be quite happy with a guy that was solid from 42 and in, as long as he can give our gunners a chance on kick offs

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree.
My biggest fear, though, is it taking a few years.

I've watched the Chargers lose so many close games in the past couple of years that could have been won if not for missed FGs.
This year their losing close games because of poor coaching decisions.

We have, no doubt, been spoiled with the run of solid kickers we've had.

Right now, I'd be quite happy with a guy that was solid from 42 and in, as long as he can give our gunners a chance on kick offs

Funny thing about the Chargers is that they actually arguably had their kicker, twice. Since leaving the Chargers, here are the numbers for two of the kickers they jettisoned:
Josh Lambo
43 games
76/80 (95.0%) on FGs
48/48 (100%) inside 40 yards
68/74 (91.9%) on PATs

Younghoe Koo
16 games
44/48 (91.7%) on FGs
26/27 (96.3%) inside 40 yards
33/37 (89.2%) on PATs

Don't ask me why both kickers are less accurate on PATs than FGs lol. Here's hoping Tampa Bay made the same mistake with Matt Gay that the Chargers made with Josh Lambo.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I remember it like it was yesterday as well. Saints could have made playoffs for the first time in their history. IIRC, that game winner was the first points the offense scored all day!

Nobody snatched Matt Gay Nobody snatched him but the Rams, Kai Forbath, Austin MacGinnis and Lirim Hajrullah went unsigned and by other teams as well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nobody snatched Matt Gay Nobody snatched him but the Rams, Kai Forbath, Austin MacGinnis and Lirim Hajrullah went unsigned and by other teams as well.
Not true.
Gay was on Tampa practice squad. Forbath was on Dallas practice squad. Which is why both guys had to be active. MacGinnis was a FA like you said, but the Rams at least thought enough of him to put him on their PS.
Liram? He's the only one hearing crickets

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Not true.
Gay was on Tampa practice squad. Forbath was on Dallas practice squad. Which is why both guys had to be active. MacGinnis was a FA like you said, but the Rams at least thought enough of him to put him on their PS.
Liram? He's the only one hearing crickets

But anyone with Kicker issues could have signed them from the practice squads from other teams. They didn't.

Well Lirim did have a few tryouts but yeah no one signed him. The port a potty incident must still reek on him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But anyone with Kicker issues could have signed them from the practice squads from other teams. They didn't.

Well Lirim did have a few tryouts but yeah no one signed him. The port a potty incident must still reek on him.
I dont know how many teams (other than the Rams) have kicking issues? Basically a PS spot is a backup kicker gig. At least those guys know they have a shot at being called up. If you arent even on a PS, you're nowhere

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quickly scrolling this thread....

Has their been any announcement on the kicker tonight?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Quickly scrolling this thread....

Has their been any announcement on the kicker tonight?
Not that I've seen. Apparently it's a competitive advantage to keep that shit under wraps. :ROFLMAO:

Course it will be Gay. And he'll probably look like a Hall of Famer vs his old team that's how it works. And we'll get all hyped and shit then... Well hopefully it works out lol.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Not that I've seen. Apparently it's a competitive advantage to keep that shit under wraps. :ROFLMAO:

Course it will be Gay. And he'll probably look like a Hall of Famer vs his old team that's how it works. And we'll get all hyped and shit then... Well hopefully it works out lol.

I like your way of thinking

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty much has to be MG since MacGinnis hasn't been signed to the active roster.
I'm not sure the Rams active roster is at 53 guys right now. They can move Mac off the PS if he's the guy tonight.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
McVay says Rams “have pretty good clarity” about who their kicker will be tonight.

Given that McVay has been talking up MacGinnis the last couple of days, I think Gay would have had an uphill battle to beat him out. MacGinnis has some experience with clutch GW kicks, and seems to have a solid approach to the mental aspect of the game.

We’ll see, but I suspect MacGinnis will be the guy tonight. Just my guess...

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
McVay says Rams “have pretty good clarity” about who their kicker will be tonight.

Given that McVay has been talking up MacGinnis the last couple of days, I think Gay would have had an uphill battle to beat him out. MacGinnis has some experience with clutch GW kicks, and seems to have a solid approach to the mental aspect of the game.

We’ll see, but I suspect MacGinnis will be the guy tonight. Just my guess...

That's what I originally thought when Mcvay was pumping him up this week. But it makes no sense to me to not go with MG because he has to be on the roster 3 weeks. I don't see them wasting a spot for a 2nd kicker. Like you, just my guess.