Rams Future??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's obvious that we need a capable back up qb behind Stafford if McVay is going to keep Stafford at qb. Stafford is up there in his mileage as a qb in the NFL, so it only makes sense to get a backup capable of taking over if Stafford goes down. Wolf is not the guy. Sorry, but truth hurts.
Heres the hard part.....finding a good NFL ready back up QB without spending a few million a year.
The Rams have made the choice to save money in some position depth to pay the big names.
Its always a touch choice, but, it is a choice.
I don't see the Rams dropping a bunch of money on a vet backup QB.
For example, Keenum is making $6 million this year. Brissett is making $4.6 million.
Wolford and Perkins combined are making about $1.6 Million.
If they go the cheap route for a backup it would really be to get name people recognize, but, not necessarily a better player.
Draft a QB? Well, that will be a 2-3 process to figure out if he an play at the NFL level. And when is that draft pick coming? The 2nd round with a team that has plenty of holes that need filling? I doubt that.
I am willing to beat the back up QB next year if Wolford.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
Heres the hard part.....finding a good NFL ready back up QB without spending a few million a year.
The Rams have made the choice to save money in some position depth to pay the big names.
Its always a touch choice, but, it is a choice.
I don't see the Rams dropping a bunch of money on a vet backup QB.
If they go the cheap route for a backup it would really be to get name people recognize, but, not necessarily a better player.
Draft a QB? Well, that will be a 2-3 process to figure out if he an play at the NFL level. And when is that draft pick coming? The 2nd round with a team that has plenty of holes that need filling? I doubt that.
I am willing to beat the back up QB next year if Wolford.
Mariotta will probably be dumped after this year. He would be a good backup. As another poster said, Cooper Rush was ripe for the picking. He played great against us in a preseason game a few years back and was a pretty obvious choice. There are high quality backups to be found. Good grief, Joe Flacco would have been a big upgrade on what we have.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Shelton is under contract for another year.
Allen and Shelton will 100% man two of the inside spots.
Edwards likely to leave via FA.
Inside I could see Allen and Shelton with the other G spot coming down to Bruss, Brewer (who played solidly before getting injured) and a new addition.
Outside Hav is the RT. I think LT will be open between Jackson and Noteboom.
Some of my logic..
Noteboom is better than any of the returning guards.. other than Jackson.
Jackson is better than any of the returning guards.
Allen and Shelton are under contract. Allen will miss games, Shelton will be the backup.
Bruss is a 3rd rounder… he has all the traits and will be given every opportunity.
I think Brewer & Anchrum can be backup Guards.. Maybr Arcuri will be ready to be a backup RT.
Draft 2 and have them fight for spots.. one needs to be a G/C.

fearsomefour

Legend
Mariotta will probably be dumped after this year. He would be a good backup. As another poster said, Cooper Rush was ripe for the picking. He played great against us in a preseason game a few years back and was a pretty obvious choice. There are high quality backups to be found. Good grief, Joe Flacco would have been a big upgrade on what we have.
Maybe or maybe not with Flacco.
I said before the Rams game I like Rush more than either of our backups.
But....ripe for the picking means a nice pay raise as well.
Mariotta would be in that $5M plus a year category I would imagine if the Falcons continue to be competitive.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
None of those guys were pressured at a 50% rate.
Not defending Wolford… pointing out gap in evaluation.

fearsomefour

Legend
Some of my logic..
Allen and Shelton are under contract. Allen will miss games, Shelton will be the backup.
Bruss is a 3rd rounder… he has all the traits and will be given every opportunity.
I think Brewer & Anchrum can be backup Guards.. Maybr Arcuri will be ready to be a backup RT.
Noteboom has been solid at G (after being terrible earlier in his career).....I wouldn't say the sample size is big enough on Jackson to make a determination. He can play in the league.....as a back up or a starter, regardless of position, is the question.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The sample size is way too small on either player.
We've also never seen either against an NFL starting defense.
For sure. Though I did watch 1 on 1’s in training camp.That is just judging from an individual standpoint.
The drill was like they do at the Senior Bowl practice.The scouts get a up close view of a player going against the best D’Lineman & best D’Lineman.
What I saw with AJ Arcuri was impressive to myself.I thought he was really good at RT? Can’t actually recall right now,because my head is spinning from all the change. I’m just glad AJ Arcuri was not show cased in the preseason as much as I would’ve thought. He got cut,but he is getting solid experience on the Practice Squad.
—I wasn’t impressed with Logan Bruss,but he was put in as a starter.and was being asked to do a lot as a rookie.
Funny how Tutu Atwell & T. Lewis have been held to such a higher standard.I think that is more of my point.
—Those other 2 players were much valuable draft picks though as well.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I've only got one thing to say about the Rams future:

[Ah-nuld voice: ON]

We'll be back.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Whatever they do...the draft will be huge. They have to make better choices. Too many misses. This team will have to rely on young players to fill the holes and they need hits.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Some of my logic..
You don’t take your best left tackle, which is the most important position on the oline, with the exception of the center when you have a right handed throwing QB, and move him to some other position simply because he’s better in that position too. If it wasn’t the the LT position I’d agree with, but because a good LT is so highly valued, whoever plays that position best plays that position.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
None of those guys were pressured at a 50% rate.
Not defending Wolford… pointing out gap in evaluation.

Really? I’d say Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl. Nick Foles was a MVP.Marriota was a number 1 or 2 overall draft pick.
Wolford to me is crap!! He is a good practice QB.In the preseason he has never really showed much. The Arizona game a few years back he didn’t look that good against another backup with Murray injured back then.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You don’t take your best left tackle, which is the most important position on the oline, with the exception of the center when you have a right handed throwing QB, and move him to some other position simply because he’s better in that position too. If it wasn’t the the LT position I’d agree with, but because a good LT is so highly valued, whoever plays that position best plays that position.
Not understanding your logic here though. Especially as a rebuttal.I also have no idea what the O’Line is going to look like this next Sunday in N.O.’s ?

An example to me is David Edwards. Where will he play when healthy? It’s not like he didn’t play LT last season,but when is it best or can he play there is a seriously good question that I don’t think most of us can answer.

I know I can’t. Still there is a time & place he maybe is better playing Tackle or guard or visa-versa

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If there was a huge gap in pass pro.. I’d agree. There’s not, imo.
Someone else said Noteboom has gotten better at guard.. I just don’t know. I do know they are 2 of the Rams best 5.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
IF and WHEN we decide this season isn't going the bring a playoff run we will really need to evaluate our unknown/unproven players.
Who is worth developing, and where are our strengths and weaknesses when healthy? Can we turn some of our unsorted positional players into starter quality or key role players?
We then should decide how to replace and or acquire the players we are in need of, a mix of FA's draft picks and trades will likely be mixed in to best serve our needs. We will have to be very creative in where we spend FA money and what positions we target in the draft. Expect some surprises

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
8Ball.png

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Rams look to be picking inside or near the top ten of the second round. According to the trade calculator trading down to upper 50's and upper 80's is very close in value. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade down like that. 3 day 2 picks would fit with Snead's drafting strategy. Upper 50, mid 70 and upper 80's might get us some decent players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams look to be picking inside or near the top ten of the second round. According to the trade calculator trading down to upper 50's and upper 80's is very close in value. I wouldn't mind seeing a trade down like that. 3 day 2 picks would fit with Snead's drafting strategy. Upper 50, mid 70 and upper 80's might get us some decent players.
Rams need a lot more than just decent players to rebuild this roster. None of his 2022 draft selections have made any sizeable contributions to this roster other than possibly 6th rd pick Drion Kendrick filling in for 3 injured CB's.

Not sure Snead has much magic left & doing an overview of what work Snead/Mcvay have done I would not give him a passing grade on those 2nd thru 4th rd selections. It's been slim pickings since the Kupp 3rd rd selection. But the Ernest Jones pick appears solid this season. Other than that other 8 selections have done very little but sit. Most of the 2020 draft has spent most of their time injured on the IR or just out unhealthy

Highly doubtful Ram will resign any of the first 4 Snead picks of the 2019 draft class. IMO none will be starters on any other NFL team once they depart in March of next yr.

McVay might be hindering Snead more than I really know. McVay's lust for toys in the 2nd rd like RB Akers & WR Atwell has my concern turned up on high. His lack of interest in the last 4 drafts to get good solid OL'ers in here finally caught up with him and kicked his ass this season. It closed this team's "Championship Run Window " shut on this team's future real quick.

Last edited: