Rams extend Big Rob Havenstein

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's hard not to be a weak link when you have three All-Pro caliber players on the left side and one of the best right tackles in the league on the right. I look at it this way: Jamon has improved a ton since his rookie year, and even with his suspension, I'd take him. If anything, it'll make his contract less expensive. And it'll hurt a lot less if Saffold goes to another team in free agency, gets injured, or shows signs of aging.
Even in the Raider game there were two times he was turning and chasing rushers.....still gets out over his toes way too often.
He has improved massively though.....he also shows a nice ability to block on the second level. He did some serious work in the Seattle road game last year in the run game.
Rams may have options at RG they didn't have at RT, but, a lot may come down to how Brown plays this year.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sweetness. With how Noteboom has looked and getting to redshirt, we seem set at the tackle spots for the next 4 years even when Whitworth is done. Great move.

If Noteboom pans out, the Rams will not have a lot of money invested in tackles for the next 4 years. Great move by the front office. Now I wonder what Saffold will want next year, or if the Rams have started talking with him yet?

TexasRam

Legend
Some of you have a low view of Brown. i watch a lot of film on the Oline and he is a solid RG. In fact his power and quickness are top shelf for a guard in the run game. once he got the mental side figured out he was reallly solid. As a pass protector, he is also solid, only lacking in ability to lock on till the whistle. for the first 3 seconds he is money.

Having said that, he may be odd man out as we have a lot of options at guard right now and Saffold still has to get paid next year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our players have seen the bad times, and now want to ride the wave to greatness. Getting top dollar is fine, but often it's means playing for a lesser team. The Rams are nearing the mountain top, and they many don't want to start again...don't blame them.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our players have seen the bad times, and now want to ride the wave to greatness. Getting top dollar is fine, but often it's means playing for a lesser team. The Rams are nearing the mountain top, and they many don't want to start again...don't blame them.

I really do think that signing them early helps. If you wait until after the season, the player is risking blowing out an acl and maybe never getting the big contract. Havenstein can now have fun and still put enough money away that his grandkids' college education and the down payments on their first homes are secure. If he has a good year he would have been able to get more in free agency - but by signing now he gets FU money guaranteed.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wonderful decision by this Ram Org. Makes me proud to be a Ram fan.

Rams are still looking @ getting new contracts for FIVE of their present OL cadre after this 2018 season:
Starting LG Rodger Saffold
Starting RG Jamon Brown
Four year reserve OT Darrell Williams
Two year reserve OC/OG
Two year reserve OT Cornelius Lucas

Then in 2019 Rams will deal with:
Starting All pro LT Andrew Whitworth
starting Former All Pro Center John Sullivan
Main interior reserve Austin Blythe

Pretty sure with Noteboom we don't need Lucas. I'd rather see the rook learn in a backup role than have someone we know is a liability in Lucas. Don't mean to be down a player, but he's just not performed when he's been needed.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
In a year or two we could easily see an Oline of Havenstein RT, Demby/Brown RG, Allen OC, Saffold LG, Noteboom LT. If that happened that would actually be a cost effective Oline.:rockon:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I compared him to Jon Runyan and it seems to be tracking that way so far. Bonus is he isn't dirty like Runyan, but still has the necessary mean streak in the run game. Pleasantly surprised and loving the numbers. The way the front office has elevated and stabilized the offense is remarkable.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Glad they are getting alot of these important FAs out the way early. After the past few offseasons where only Tree got extended, I was getting concerned about the Rams ability to retain their talent. Next on my list is since we cant extend Joyner at this point is Saffold. IMO he was the best lineman over the course of the season.

On another note I am getting a little concerned about the numbers in Donald's contract. The Rams aren't afraid to pay top of the market at "less valuable positions" like RT, RB, Punter, and LB (Trees and Barron). Demoff was also a huge factor in Quins's deal that was position setting at the time. Rams also aren't afraid hand those deals out early i.e. Quinn, Tree, Gurley, Tavon. All those factors together makes me concerned that the Rams dont want to pay what Donald is asking for. The Rams clearly have no problem "overpaying," paying the core guys early or setting the market which makes me think ADs demands have to be astronomical.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I like it , good yearly salary throughout and nfl cap will only continue to grow.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Like the move. Have not seen the exact terms, looks like it is a contract in line with other RT's in the league, not setting a new standard. Good to see the Rams giving good draft picks 2nd contracts, Hav certainly fits that.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Any way they are making some of these deals in order to move some money around for Donald's deal?

I'm not really sure how that would work but convert some of Havensteins money into signing bonus or roster bonus so you can free up space in a place for Donald's contract?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Normally they might be structuring it to keep Havenstein and have room for AD, but there are so many big contracts that we already know are not structured for that. And the big contract starts in 2020 with Goff - his 5th year extension is going to be in the $20s at least, since it functions as a transition contract - which is the average of the top ten salaries at his position. Cooks contract starts being big next year. Gurley's contract seems to be fairly consistent, starting in 2020. They may try to backload it a little, but there are numerous big cap hits coming up that dwarf Havenstein's.

More likely that Donald's extension will have a huge signing bonus, so he can get his money first and by having a low first year salary they can have the cap hit for 2019 be more manageable, to delay the cap issues until they can maybe have a year without a bunch of stars approaching free agency, or at least until they've had a few years at the top of the league before depth issues hit hard for a year or two.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Give me McVay, Snead & Demoff over any 3 humans on the same NFL team that operate and run their franchises.

These 3 wise men are the Golden Pyramid that gives us Rams fans hope for long term stability at the highest level in professional football. :yess:

______
-
-___________________________
Kevin+Demoff+HWU47cp0Eqpm.jpg

845385116.jpg.0.jpg

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1031575186569486336

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Thats good, I think? Does this mean that Brown is the odd man out? Hav is only an adequate RT, and really can't play anywhere else....Does this mean that he has improved and is less susceptible to a speed rusher? Hope so..

"...only an adequate RT"?
Sorry Merlin, this is one time I don't agree.

Only staley (9ers) rated higher at tackle in run blocking last season. After over 40 starts in 3 seasons, he's already a proven player. If the Rams have a year similar to last (offensively), Havs would be commanding a bundle in FA.

I thought for sure this is where the situation was headed and that would've meant big $$ for Havs...from his NEW team.

I get the point that he's strictly a RT, but he's a good one who could end up being one of the better ones by the end of the season.

Glad he's signed. This is very significant.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
"...only an adequate RT"?

Only staley (9ers) rated higher at tackle in run blocking last season. After over 40 starts in 3 seasons, he's already a proven player. If the Rams have a year similar to last (offensively), Havs would be commanding a bundle in FA.

I thought for sure this is where the situation was headed and that would've meant big $$ for Havs...from his NEW team.

I get the point that he's strictly a RT, but he's a good one who could end up being one of the better ones by the end of the season.

Glad he's signed. This is very significant.
You'd better be careful, I don't think things will end well if you keep confusing @LoyalRam and @Merlin. :shocked: