Rams Draft Developmental QB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
By the time we need to replace Stafford, we’ll have first round picks again, so we’ll just trade up to get the next starter.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Pass, there are other holes that need to be filled and the three they have are sufficient. I expect Stafford to be here for at least 5 years. 2024 would be about the right time to start looking.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Ehhh, I feel this is another fan fantasy. When was the last time a QB was "groomed" to take over for the old vet? If you need a QB you'll either trade for/up one or sign one to big money in FA.
Bulger wasn't purposely groomed, but was a late pick of another team, claimed off waivers, and became a good QB on s team that deteriorated around him.

Having said that, wait until next year at the earliest. Too few picks this yr and let's see what Wolford can do. Maybe next yr you grab a guy in the 4th, 5th or 6th.. We will have like four 6th rounders due to 3 comp picks.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Ehhh, I feel this is another fan fantasy. When was the last time a QB was "groomed" to take over for the old vet? If you need a QB you'll either trade for/up one or sign one to big money in FA.

Yeah, it is sort of a fan fantasy. Brees (41) and Brady (43) played into their 40's. Peyton Manning was done at age 39....or at least not the real Peyton that last year. Plus he missed his entire age 35 season. Rivers played to age 39. Yeah, Stafford will play for another 5 years. Or will he?

The last 2 guys I remember being "groomed" were Rivers and Rodgers. Worked out pretty well I'd say. But it is a luxury. And McVay probably doesn't want to groom somebody anyway. He might not have the patience for it.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pass, there are other holes that need to be filled and the three they have are sufficient. I expect Stafford to be here for at least 5 years. 2024 would be about the right time to start looking.

For this reason, it feels too early to me.

Limited picks, other needs... even if we can trade down for more picks... I’d use them any place but QB.

This draft (due to CoVID impacts to scouting) could be a draft to find players late. So... collect those picks Snead. Players could/should slip to later rounds.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bulger wasn't purposely groomed, but was a late pick of another team, claimed off waivers, and became a good QB on s team that deteriorated around him.

Having said that, wait until next year at the earliest. Too few picks this yr and let's see what Wolford can do. Maybe next yr you grab a guy in the 4th, 5th or 6th.. We will have like four 6th rounders due to 3 comp picks.

Marc just happened to be available and played pretty well on a stacked team. Besides, Matthew Stafford is only 33. He's still got a number of years left barring injury of course, before worrying about a QB.

The last 2 guys I remember being "groomed" were Rivers and Rodgers. Worked out pretty well I'd say. But it is a luxury. And McVay probably doesn't want to groom somebody anyway. He might not have the patience for it.

Well Aaron Rodgers was supposed to the first pick and an immediate starter. We all know that story, and everyone thought Brett Favre was going to retire only to milk out a few more years. That also appears to be Drew Brees' story, with an old Doug Flute in SD. Drew was a the first 2nd round pick (32nd if using today's format).

I'm talking about someone taking a guy in the 5th round, stash him on the bench and then unleash him in a few years. When was the last time that happened? Tony Romo is the closest that I can remember.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Assuming the Rams anticipate Stafford at QB for the next 3-4 years, if they drafted a QB and then developed him, they may have developed him for another team.

A quality backup is important to a team with high aspirations. It was one of my biggest concerns with Wolford as the backup last season but he looked pretty good.

The Rams’ cap limitations may prevent them from paying a veteran backup QB but Wolford seems capable for a short period of time. My biggest concern now is his durability. I watched the Arizona game the other day, and Wolford took five scary or almost scary hits to the head ... similar to the one that knocked him out the follow week in Seattle.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My biggest concern now is his durability. I watched the Arizona game the other day, and Wolford took five scary or almost scary hits to the head ... similar to the one that knocked him out the follow week in Seattle.

Yeah at this level he needs to be smarter when he runs. If I’m reading his stats right he played in 47/48 college games.

So..., he has not had a track record of injuries. (y)

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Marc just happened to be available and played pretty well on a stacked team. Besides, Matthew Stafford is only 33. He's still got a number of years left barring injury of course, before worrying about a QB.

Well Aaron Rodgers was supposed to the first pick and an immediate starter. We all know that story, and everyone thought Brett Favre was going to retire only to milk out a few more years. That also appears to be Drew Brees' story, with an old Doug Flute in SD. Drew was a the first 2nd round pick (32nd if using today's format).

I'm talking about someone taking a guy in the 5th round, stash him on the bench and then unleash him in a few years. When was the last time that happened? Tony Romo is the closest that I can remember.
It happens...
Tom Brady - 6th
Dak Prescott -4th
Russell Wilson - 3rd
Kurt Warner - UDFA

But agree they need to wait a few yrs before looking for a real developmental QB.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Yeah, it is sort of a fan fantasy. Brees (41) and Brady (43) played into their 40's. Peyton Manning was done at age 39....or at least not the real Peyton that last year. Plus he missed his entire age 35 season. Rivers played to age 39. Yeah, Stafford will play for another 5 years. Or will he?

Warren Moon played QB at a high caliber till the age of 45

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Moon broke his collarbone in 1996, which started his decline a little. But, he did make the pro bowl in 1998.

Dude was amazing. And... you’re right. He wasn’t a bum even those final years.

11A607F8-EB03-45E6-A683-6DBE4493CEC9.png

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Moon broke his collarbone in 1996, which started his decline a little. But, he did make the pro bowl in 1998.

Dude was amazing. And... you’re right. He wasn’t a bum even those final years.

View attachment 44768
Counting the CFL, Warren Moon played 23 seasons
CFL statistics
CFL Career94321,3692,38257.521,2288.91447793.83401,7065.014
GPGSCompAttPctYdsAvgTDIntRtgAttYdsAvgTD
YearTeamGamesPassingRushing
1978Edmonton Eskimos158917351.41,1126.45764.5301143.81
1979Edmonton Eskimos1614927454.42,3828.7201289.7561562.72
1980Edmonton Eskimos1618133154.73,1279.4251198.3553526.41
1981Edmonton Eskimos1523737862.73,95910.52712108.6502986.03
1982Edmonton Eskimos161633356259.25,0008.9361698.0542594.84
1983Edmonton Eskimos161638066457.25,6488.5311988.9955276.23

Name
MistahTroupe
If i may provide my 2 cents...

giphy.gif

Ok first off this title is a little misleading imo, if you are asking the question "Will The Rams Draft A Developmental Quarterback". The overall answer should be a resounding "NO". This team just traded a boat load of picks to take the gamble with Stafford at QB and even though I myself personally feel this will be a gamble that will pay off positively for The Rams.

Lets take a moment and analyze this for a moment, currently behind Stafford the Rams Have Wolford/Perkins/Hodge as back up QB's on the team.

Now on the surface when it comes to football it would make sense that The Rams "not draft" but "bring on a developmental QB" as they have been cause in truth this is what got us too the point with Wolford and the removal of Goff from the team.

So getting back to the initial point do i believe The Rams will "draft a QB", no why should they and there is no reason to do so and there are plenty of other areas of need that need to be addressed with the use of a draft pick.

But no in flipping this question around, do i believe The Rams with bring on a developmental QB then yes I do think they will by way of either FA or second round of FA after the Draft.

- MT

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It happens...
Tom Brady - 6th
Dak Prescott -4th
Russell Wilson - 3rd
Kurt Warner - UDFA

But agree they need to wait a few yrs before looking for a real developmental QB.
I thought the question was when was a guy drafted, waited a couple years before taking over? Rodgers is the only one, and that's simply because Favre kept waffling on retiring.
Brady-took over for an injured Bledsoe in his second year, not sure how that is answer.
Prescott- drafted possibly to be "groomed", but Dallas was looking for a QB, IIRC they wanted Paxton Lynch, they knew Romo wasnt gonna last
Wilson? QB job was wide open and he took it

All these examples just dont match up, the "old days" of the backup QB being "groomed" just dont apply anymore.
Stafford is the starter and he is the heir apparent, and future QB of the team....
If they are drafting a QB it's because they know Wolford isnt worth the years they can control him, and see a QB they can lock up for 4 years, strictly to be the backup

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I thought the question was when was a guy drafted, waited a couple years before taking over? Rodgers is the only one, and that's simply because Favre kept waffling on retiring.
Brady-took over for an injured Bledsoe in his second year, not sure how that is answer.
Prescott- drafted possibly to be "groomed", but Dallas was looking for a QB, IIRC they wanted Paxton Lynch, they knew Romo wasnt gonna last
Wilson? QB job was wide open and he took it

All these examples just dont match up, the "old days" of the backup QB being "groomed" just dont apply anymore.
Stafford is the starter and he is the heir apparent, and future QB of the team....
If they are drafting a QB it's because they know Wolford isnt worth the years they can control him, and see a QB they can lock up for 4 years, strictly to be the backup
My point was those guys were drafted with that in mind, but they just became the starter much sooner.

Wilson beat out the newly signed Matt Flynn.

Prescott took over for an injured Romo immediately.

And of course Brady waited a yr, when an injury to Bledsoe put him in the line up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
It happens...
Tom Brady - 6th
Dak Prescott -4th
Russell Wilson - 3rd
Kurt Warner - UDFA

How dare you leave out the Wolf! :D

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well Aaron Rodgers was supposed to the first pick and an immediate starter.

According to whom? The talking heads? Fans? For a guy who was "supposed to be the first pick", he dropped like a rock.

Warren Moon played until he was 44. He played "decent" through age 41. His last "high caliber" season was age 39. But still, of all the QBs to play in the NFL, a handful played to age 40 or beyond and few of them played all that well. So we're to bank on Stafford playing another 5 years? Have they extended him yet?

oldnotdead

Legend
The problem is Stafford has had a ton of injuries and has dodged the bullet on each of them. The wait crowd is willing to gamble that he can play for 5 years? 3 maybe 4 is more likely. You don't use a 1st round pick then let him sit for 2-3 years. Get him now with one of their 3rd round picks if someone like Mills drops. After all, there is a very good chance they might not have Wolford in 2023 because he will be an RFA and there is no realistic tender for an undrafted FA for a backup player.

Getting a developmental QB now will give them 2 years to groom him. Wolford is a good backup but if they are serious about being a SB contender for the long term they need to be proactive. Also, Wolford isn't a fit for the offense they are probably going to run with Stafford. John lacks the deep ball accuracy and arm strength to run that type of offense. There are very goods reasons IMO the Rams are in no hurry to extend Stafford. He's theirs for the next 2 years. They are well aware of his injury history. They also, want to see if there is any deterioration in 2023. Both Brees and Rivers began to show their ages around 35. Getting a potential follow-on QB would simply be hedging their bets.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was just looking at Atlanta... Matt Ryan is about to turn 36 (in May). He has played 3 more seasons at age 33, 34, and 35 than Matt Stafford.

Not much buzz about them drafting a QB, and they hold the #4 overall pick.

This seems to be the track many QB’s are on. Playing into late 30’s.

Atlanta Falcons: Drafting a QB is waving the white flag on next two years

The Atlanta Falcons have an important decision to make when they are on the clock with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft later this spring.

Depending on who you talk to, you might get 30 different answers as to what the Falcons should do with their first-round pick. Some believe they should trade back and earn more draft capital. Others believe they should take the best player available- regardless of position- when their turn comes around. Some think they should zero-in on a defensive playmaker who can help turn that unit around. Still, many others believe the Falcons should draft a quarterback with their top-five pick.

It’s a logical argument to make, no doubt.

There aren’t many opportunities to pick inside the top-five, so why shouldn’t the Atlanta Falcons go ahead and find their next quarterback once Matt Ryan is gone?

If your stance is to draft a QB now, what you’re saying is that the Atlanta Falcons should wave the white flag on the next two years

You can’t draft a quarterback to sit on the bench for the next two seasons behind Matt Ryan and still say that you’re looking to compete this year- or next, for that matter. It’s just not going to happen.

The Falcons have far too many other needs- edge-rusher, secondary, running back and the offensive line- to address for them to take a quarterback who’ll be tasked with developing over the next couple of years, and still expect to be competitive.

Now, many of you have already waved the white flag.

The Falcons have one of the worst cap situations in the league and anyone who sees that this team has only 39 active players on the roster and they’re still upwards $10 million over the expected cap limit can easily understand why that would be an issue. Ryan makes up a large portion of the space being taken up and, let’s face it, he’s not getting any younger.

I’m not here to talk you down from your position or to change your mind. The only thing I’m saying simply this: If you’re sold on drafting a quarterback this year, you need to be in for a long-term rebuild. You need to be prepared for mediocrity for at least the next three seasons, possibly longer.

Perhaps it is time for the rebuild. Just a few years ago, the Atlanta Braves faced a similar situation. They ended up deciding not to spend major money and decided to develop their young prospects, build through the draft and focus on a long rebuild. Now, they’re winning divisional pennants and one of the top teams in the National League with tons of youth and promise moving forward.

Is that what the Atlanta Falcons need to do? Let their veteran contracts expire off the books, build through the draft and look towards the 2023, 2024 and 2025 seasons?

Maybe that’s what needs to happen. Or, maybe the Falcons just need to add a few new pieces to shore up the defense- with a breath of fresh air in leadership- and change up the offensive system.

Who’s to say this team- which lost nine games by a touchdown or less– couldn’t turn it around and make a run at the postseason? If they win just five of those nine one-possession games, they’re finishing the 2020 season with a 9-7 record and are right there in the mix for a wild-card berth. Is it really worth giving up on when you could see that kind of a turnaround?

I’m not here to change your mind- no matter what end of the spectrum you may fall on- and I see both sides.

If you’re convinced the Falcons can’t win with Matt Ryan, there’s nothing else to say. But the only thing we’re here to point out is that you’re stuck with him for the next two years, so the Falcons have two choices:
  1. They put a few more pieces around him through the draft and small free-agency contracts and hope for the best
  2. They give up on the next two years with him here and they look towards the future
If you’re ready to throw in the towel on Ryan, that’s completely understandable, but don’t think it’s going to be a quick rebuild or that you’re going to see the Falcons back in the playoff picture anytime soon if they go after a quarterback to sit the bench in this draft class.

You either have to be ‘all in’ on trying to make the best of this current roster and situation or ‘all out,’ there can’t be any in-between.