Rams Cowboys Scrimmage 08/14/24

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Made it out to the Rams scrimmage with the Cowboys today.
Recorded notes on my phone, was tough deciphering some of them as you'll see.

First off nothing serious with Stafford he practiced for about 2/3d's of the scrimmage then was hanging out on the sidelines shootin' the shit, still had his helmet on.

Most of my notes are on the defense, offense was on the far field and there's that giant billboard blocking the middle of the field.

Disappointed I didn't spot AD!

Verse was the Cowboy's offense worst nightmare today.

Karty made 100% of his kicks today, all from 30-50 yards out.

Jimmy G looked pretty good with the ones.

Bennett looked like he's bouncing back from the 4 picks.

Whittington continues to shine.

As does Tre'Davious White.

Overall the Rams Defense dominated the Cowboys Offense.

Got to the parking lot about 9:45 Gates opened about 10:15.
Parking was 10 bucks scrimmage was free unless you paid 20 dollars to stand at the fence behind the sidelines.

Not much of a crowd so had no problem with parking or getting a seat. Sat in the back row of the bleachers up high hoping to get a view of both fields.
Rams Players coming out to the field about 10:30 mostly staying on the far field. I see Steve Avila and some of the O Line coming closer to the bleachers.

Bones Fossil is out doing some stretching and talking to the crowd along the sideline in front of the bleachers, comments on a fan's Deacon Jones jersey. Fossil is a super nice guy, always taking the time to talk to the fans.
Bones01.jpeg

Yarber01.jpeg

Eric Yarber walking laps around the field stops to catch up with Fossil.

New D Lineman Carlos Watkins wearing #69 same number as Kevin Dotson

D lineman the first group to start going through drills fist punches while alternating left foot right foot.

Jared Verse walking laps around the field just walked by.

Verse01.jpeg
Has his earbuds in and seems to be taking some time to get focused.

Just spotted Stafford an Bennett walking down to the shade of the far field in the back corner.

It is hot out here sitting on the metal bleachers in the direct sun just like at LMU but there is a breeze coming in from behind me.

Everyone is on the far field except for except for Karty, Evans and long snapper Ward. They're warming up right in front of us.

There's Shula also walking laps around the field.

Bennett and Winn playing 40 yard catch on the far field.

Karty practicing field goals with the tee and a planted foot, not running into it at all just standing on his plant foot and Kicking. Made them all from 30 yards out.

Cowboys players are starting to trickle.

Now Karty is doing his regular routine 3 1/2 steps back and two steps to the left.

Defensive line doing drills it was almost like martial arts, coach has the hand pads on and the defenders are doing jabs then swimming by.

Full kicking team (Karty, Evans, Ward) Karty kicking field goals between 30 and 50 yards, hitting them all.

All the Cowboys coming over to the close field to warm up, lucky me.
Dak comes running out on to the field and right over to Sean McVay and gives him a hug. Everyone loves McVay! Him and Dak are walking and talking now, Sean gives Dak a pat on the helmet and he takes off.

First Cooper Kupp sighting, he comes running up to the D linemen and playfully smashes through the group.

BY and Verse hanging together again, with Hampton right behind them.

Everyone brakes up in to position groups to do drills.

Full offense running snaps against air. Stafford throws a dump off to Kyren Williams on the left-hand hand side.

Then out of the shotgun a quick out to Kupp on the right side.
Stafford play action roll out to his right and throw to Whittington on the right side.
Then passes to Demarcus Robinson, Tyler Johnson, Colby Parkinson, then Nikola Kalinic is the first to drop one.

They’re getting ready to start scrimmaging. Looks like the Dallas offense up against the Rams defense on the close field, and the Rams Offense against the Cowpokes defense on the far field.

Starters on Defense you got Verse, Kobie Turner, Bobby Brown, Braden Fisk and Byron young up front, Rozeboom and Ernrst Jones in the middle (good to see Jones back out there) Kamren Curl, Durrant, Tre'Davious White, and Lake on the back end.
First play Dak hands off to Dowdle and he gets stopped at the line by Ernest Jones.

Far field Stafford in shotgun hits Parkinson for 5 on a quick out to the right.

Close field, False start on Cowboys Braden Fisk shooting into the backfield.

Dak back to pass, muddy pocket Rams converging Dak steps up in pocket to complete a 20 yard out to Ferguson down the right sideline.

Run up the middle Ingle make a big hit short gain.

Far field I see Stafford in shotgun 10 yard pass to Colby Parkinson again on the right sideline

On the Far field Stafford rolls out to the left after faking the handoff throws back right from the 50 yard line deep to Robinson overthrows him in the endzone.

Cooper Rush hands off to Malik Davis gets tackled in the backfield by Hoecht.

Dak drops back had lots of time but Kobie Turner up the middle flushes himm out of the pocket but good coverage by the back end nowhere to throw so Dak runs out of bounds for no gain.

Twos in with Trey Lance this looks like what we saw in the preseason game with these lineups. Handoff to Deuce Von gets clocked by Jaylen McCollough trying to run up the middle, knocked on his ass.

Dak hands off to Zeke trying to get through a hole but Braden Fisk gets into the backfield then catches Zeke from behind, he’s going nowhere.

Dak drops back to pass looks like he was going to go deep but the ball got blocked by Troy Reeder and popped up in the air and Christian Rozeboom drops an interception.

Roll out by Dak to the right throws to Tyron-Billy Johnson but batted down by Tra'Davious White, sticky coverage.

Dak throws deep down the right side light to Jalen Brooks, Tra'Davious white was with him step for step cuts him off to the ball. Incomplete.

Second false start I’ve seen on the far field with Jimmy G and the two's.

Next play Jimmy G throws a laser for about 25 yards to Hunter Long over the middle.

Horn blows for "TV timeout" two minutes.

Nice play by Byron Young pushing the right tackle back into Dak forcing him to roll out throws incomplete.

Uh oh! Jared Verse is down on the turf, looks hurt players gathering around...he's getting back up and walking off the field under his own power, puts his helmet back on, gets a drink, looks OK!

Starters are back in Dak rolls out wanted to throw out to the running back on the right side but Verse is right there in coverage, nice play, but Dak hit somebody down the field for 10 yards over the middle
Ernest Jones drops what should have been an interception, drops down and does pushups.

Dak hits Brandin Cooks for 10 yard even with Jerry Jacobs all over him.

Another fall start for cowboys that’s the fourth.

Stafford roll out to the right throws back to the left for Robinson 10 yards.

dead Tacketts Ferguson over the middle it’s two conditions and three was cardigan separation

Backdrops back pockets respect down the steps up and needs to the right just a heads up a cylon but is there a game today miss way

Byron young with a sack started to the outside then broke to the inside then right in Dak's face but stopped because of red jersey.

Another 2 minute "TV time out."
Now special teams practicing kick offs. Ethan Evans doing the kick offs for both teams. Cowboys in coverage Rams receiving. Blake Corum receives first kick off returns to about the 30. Next we got Tyler Johnson and Xavier Smith in the backfield, receiving is Smith contact about the 25.

On the Far field I could hear Jared Verse jawing at Cowboy's O Line as they're engaged in one on one pass rushing drills. On the right side of the far field the Rams D line against the Cowboys O line on the left side of the field at the Rams O line against the Cowboys D line.

Kick off to Xavier Smith who breaks it to the outside down the right sideline got to 50 yard line but may have taken it to the house.

Now the Cowboys are returning grams are in coverage

Far field, Rams Oline/ Cowboys Dline one on one pass rush drills. Limmer holding his own against Cowboys pass rusher. Limmer again, took his guy to the ground. Bruss does the same, took his guy to the ground. Wish I could see who exactly they were going up against.

TV Timeout #3

Back to 11 on 11 snack and half of 56 no game

Dak throws 30 yards down the left-hand side to Jalen Brooks, Tre'Davious White all over it, incomplete.

Cowboys run the same play this time Brooks had a step on White who grabs his jersey. Flag thrown. Tyron Billy Johnson is skipping off the field shouting "Can’t do that Can’t do that!"

Dak hands off to Dowdle, Bobby Brown meets him at the line of scrimmage. No gain.

Cowboys are in a fourth in one play, they got about 2 yards up the middle, Reeder and Terence Steele start getting into skirmish but it breaks up quickly.

On the far field Stetson Bennett getting some work hands off to Boston Scott had a nice run off tackle right look like he gets about 10-15. Another another nice run from Scott about 5 yards up the middle before any contact.

Bennett with a jet sweep handoff to Whittington around the left side looks like it would go for 10 yards at least.

Dak with a short pass on the right side on first down about 3 yards. Second down pass to left side to Cooks for 15 yards.

Next play Dak drops back, Verse blows by his guy on the right side for a sack and he’s letting everyone know about it, talking shit, clapping his hands, yelling it to the cowboy sidelines. I love it!

Dak throws a quick pass to Dowdle who just gets blasted by Byron Young at the line of scrimmage.

Trey Lance delayed handoff Troy Reeder meets RB in the backfield would’ve had a tackle for loss.

Another TV time out

Redzone now. Bobby Brown with a possible tackle for loss on the handoff on first down.

Jared Verse Chases down Dak rolling out for a sack on the Cowboys sideline and he’s letting them know, yelling in their faces.

Cleveland Browns fan in the stands asking me who #8 is.

Pass break up in the endzone by Kamern curl nice play went upfor that one.

Kyren Williams in Newton second Street in Christo Chimi cheese QB cup on ice runs in the Rezza one off taco left her in the outside light for about 10 minutes I am Steve holding up well against the run in the red zone

Dickheadz off right this comes her all the way around for me to your game

Good coverage by the backend Byron Young gets another sack.

Rams good coverage but not a good pass rush on the 5 yard line and Dak hits Cooks alone in the back of the endzone.

Dak with a bad hand off, Ball on the ground, Rams coming in, trouble baby.

On the far side looks like Stafford‘s done for the day because it’s been Jimmy G and Stetson Bennett alternating in Redzone.

Another bad snap or bad snap to Dak in shotgun this time, Fiske there to pick it up looks like a scoop and score.

Verse still talking shit tells some Cowboy to shut up as he walked off.

Far field, Quick out from Jimmy G to Cooper Kupp down the outside for Touchdown.

Another "TV Timeout"

Special teams running punt plays in front of us. Kyren Williams back to receive. Cowboys punter with a huge punt Kyren had to drop all the way back to the 10 yard line he kicked it from his own 18.

Xavier Smith back now and punter shanks this one Smith does good job fielding bouncing ball.

Kyren Williams back again fields the punt over his shoulder.

Coaches yelling for the two's now, Xavier Smith comes running back out. That means Kyren Williams is the starting punt returner?

Xavier Smith on that one miss judged that one. Ball bounced out of bounds.

Rams turn to punt.

Trey Tomlinson getting into it with number 40 on the Cowboys they started pushing and shoving but it got broken up quick.

Good hang time for Evans on most punts, had one line drive.

Whittington and Scott as the gunners on that one.

Rams has Stone backed up cancer on it Jimmy G again playing with the ones nice quick out and catch

I cylon to Brandon cooks covered by Kobe Durant

Can cover my Kobe Duran you get coverage for the nice purse pocket was clubs in a deck

That drives back Britain Fisk cause of astroid or stacked throughout fast burning

Cooper Rush drops back with nowhere to go, pocket collapsing take me to the sack

Rams two seconds ones that has a wide-open Brandon cooks for 20 yard game down the left side line

I want to dance tunes only for one play

Each other

It’s still Jimmy G on the far field with the starters. Just looks like they're giving Stafford the rest of the day off, he's just hanging on the sideline talking, still has his helmet on.

Dak pass over the middle receiver catches it and is instantly hit by Lake, jars the ball loose, Lake picks it up and runs around the right side and out of bounds.

Anthony Goodlow gets pancaked by the right tackle of the Cowboys

Even from the sidelines Verse is talking shit or yelling words of encouragement.

Nice pass from Jimmy G down the right side line to Corum for about 40 yards and all the way to the endzone.

Bennett with a nice pass over the middle for about 20 yards to Weddington OVER THE MIDDLE!

Tre’Davious White having a heated conversation with number 13 (Tyron Billy-Johnson) keeps going back, keeps going back finally Verse has to pull him back.

Cowboys number two offense against the Rams number one defense. Pocket collapse quickly Verse ends up underneath Cooper Rush on the ground. Cowboys offensive lineman #64 down has to be helped off the field.

Jimmy G runnin the hurry up hits Tyler Johnson 10 yards
Jimmy G throws a pick.

Still Rams ones on D against Cowboys twos, Jared verse with a sack on Cooper Rush.

Trey Tomlinson was out there on coverage had a nice play on the ball, is playing with the ones right now on the left side on the outside.

Yeast tried to jump the route for Ferguson Ferguson caught it for 10 yards.

Fiske and Byron young meet at the quarterback Cooper Rush was trying to pass hit his arm. Verse yelling at Cowboys. "Fuck off!"

Bennett with a 20 yard completion behind middle billboard, Drew cheers from sideline.

Cameron McCutcheon on coverage gets called for PI

Trey Lance tried to throw a 35 yard pass to the end zone broken up by number Josh Wallace.

Lance throws to #16 Jalen Cropper on the crossing pattern, broken up by Tanner Ingle.

That's a wrap.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kyren Williams in Newton second Street in Christo Chimi cheese QB cup on ice runs in the Rezza one off taco left her in the outside light for about 10 minutes I am Steve holding up well against the run in the red zone

interesting.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
dead Tacketts Ferguson over the middle it’s two conditions and three was cardigan separation

RIP Tacketts Ferguson

He went over the middle
and got caught slippin on tha third condition

Psycho_X

Legend
Nice info, thanks for the write up. Happy to see jet sweeps being used again with Whittington... that dude is going to be the swiss army knife McVay hasn't had since Woods left. He's going to do everything.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Verse is very vocal. I remember when they asked Dak about him. Dak's reply was "He talks". Its great he has that intensity. My only concern is the NFL refs not taking kindly to it and throwing a flag for taunting.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That was a fun read. Thanks for reporting. Sounds like Verse is going to be a handful.

But were you getting second hand smoke from So Ram? Maybe you just borrowed his recorder.:laugh3:

Backdrops back pockets respect down the steps up and needs to the right just a heads up a cylon but is there a game today miss way

Can cover my Kobe Duran you get coverage for the nice purse pocket was clubs in a deck

That drives back Britain Fisk cause of astroid or stacked throughout fast burning

I want to dance tunes only for one play

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That was a fun read. Thanks for reporting. Sounds like Verse is going to be a handful.

But were you getting second hand smoke from So Ram? Maybe you just borrowed his recorder.:laugh3:
It’s like watching a party when it gets started, then gradually turns crazy.

Maybe the beers were cold and cheap.

Either way.
One hell of a write up.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
oh, autocorrect.... love this write up though! thank you @dpjax !!
Very encouraging report, sounds like we are going to be a handful on D. Both Verse AND Fiske making plays is great to hear.
Lots of PB's by our DB's. great to hear as well.
With good talent at D-line, LB backers & DB's / Safeties, I think we got a chance to be top 10 defense. Maybe even better.
Corum catching a 40 yd pass?? Kyren taking punts?? JW taking jet sweeps???? what's this new devilry?? loving it!!

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
oh, autocorrect.... love this write up though! thank you @dpjax !!
Very encouraging report, sounds like we are going to be a handful on D. Both Verse AND Fiske making plays is great to hear.
Lots of PB's by our DB's. great to hear as well.
With good talent at D-line, LB backers & DB's / Safeties, I think we got a chance to be top 10 defense. Maybe even better.
Corum catching a 40 yd pass?? Kyren taking punts?? JW taking jet sweeps???? what's this new devilry?? loving it!!
Yeah, auto Correct was definitely taking over as time went on. Thought I’d leave in some the good ones in.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
It’s like watching a party when it gets started, then gradually turns crazy.

Maybe the beers were cold and cheap.

Either way.
One hell of a write up.
Auto correct must have been downing those beers when I was trying to see what was happening on the far field. But at 10 bucks a pop! I better check to see if my phone was accessing my bank account.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Verse is very vocal. I remember when they asked Dak about him. Dak's reply was "He talks". It’s great he has that intensity. My only concern is the NFL refs not taking kindly to it and throwing a flag for taunting.
He definitely gets the D fired up, and is definitely fun to watch, let’s just hope he knows when to turn it on and turn it off.