Rams' compensation for free-agent losses won't be as great as first expected

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Coming into this offseason, everyone knew the Los Angeles Rams would suffer some significant losses in free agency. It was going to be nearly impossible for them to keep all of their key free agents, given their cap situation.

The only notable unrestricted free agent they were able to keep was Leonard Floyd, who they gave a four-year deal worth $64 million. Austin Blythe, John Johnson, Troy Hill, Gerald Everett, Morgan Fox and Josh Reynolds all left to sign with other teams, opening up holes across the Rams’ roster.

The silver lining all fans looked toward was compensatory picks, but the return won’t be as impactful as first expected. There was hope that Johnson would net the Rams a third-round pick in 2022. Being a quality starting cornerback, it was believed that Hill could return a fourth- or fifth-rounder. Everett has potential and some thought he would sign a solid contract and get the Rams back a mid-round pick. Blythe was seen as a mid-tier center, certainly worth more than the bargain-bin contract he signed with the Chiefs.

Unfortunately, none of those players cashed in with huge deals, so the Rams won’t get much back for losing them. According to Over The Cap, only Johnson is projected to net Los Angeles better than a sixth-round compensatory pick.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-05-at-12.19.06-PM.png

Blythe’s contract is so cheap that he doesn’t even qualify for a compensatory pick, which is a huge disappointment for the Rams. Fortunately, they will get a 2022 third-rounder for losing Brad Holmes to the Lions, in addition to the third-round pick they received this year.

The maximum number of compensatory picks a team can receive for free-agent departures in one year is four, so based on the chart above, the Rams will be a fourth-rounder and three picks in the sixth.

But in terms of free-agent losses, the Rams’ projected compensation isn’t nearly as significant as initially expected before free agency began. It certainly won’t be as impactful as the third- and fourth-rounders they got this year for Dante Fowler and Cory Littleton leaving a year ago.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next year's picks will be:

2nd
Two 3rds
4th
5th
Four 6ths
Two 7ths

I'm fine with that

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
The maximum number of compensatory picks a team can receive for free-agent departures in one year is four, so based on the chart above, the Rams will be a fourth-rounder and three picks in the sixth.
This is actually right in line with what I thought the Rams would get if they re-signed Floyd. He was their one ticket to a high comp pick.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Les will turn all those 6th rounders into a 5th and 7th

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This sucks. We lost all those guys and we only get a 4th and a few 6th's? I would not trade up for a 5th and/or whatever, I would try to capitalize on the 4 picks and hopefully get a couple of guys that might play someday. Besides Fuller, have the Rams drafted anyone in the 6th round that has made a difference?

TheTackle

Starter
Unless of course the compensation is adjusted in terms of the reduced salaries being handed out because of the CAP and Covid?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
It's almost like you should make decisions based on your roster needs and available salary cap rather than putting eggs into the compensatory picks basket. The compensatory picks should be viewed as a bonus and not as something to actively aim for.

I have been saying this for ages but I keep getting shot down.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they only award 32 comp picks, why wouldnt the Rams get say, 1 5th rounder instead of 2 6th rounders? And isnt the "value" subject to change based on awards and stuff? Like if Troy Hill were to earn a Pro-Bowl spot, wouldnt that change things?

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
This sucks. We lost all those guys and we only get a 4th and a few 6th's? I would not trade up for a 5th and/or whatever, I would try to capitalize on the 4 picks and hopefully get a couple of guys that might play someday. Besides Fuller, have the Rams drafted anyone in the 6th round that has made a difference?
Yep, we have. We took Sebastian Joseph Day in the 6th round several years ago and he has worked out nicely for us.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I question the assumption that our projected compensatory picks are somehow a disappointment. Its right in line with what i thought we’d get.

I hoped JJ3 signed a massive contract, but realistically it was always going to be 4th rd pick. Hes a safety, they don’t get paid all that much comparatively.

The 6th round picks are gravy, its a success that we could turn role players into future draft picks.

Blythe. Anyone expecting Blyth to net us a comp pick wasnt watching Blythe play. To put it lightly, he earned that contract he just signed.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Coming into this offseason, everyone knew the Los Angeles Rams would suffer some significant losses in free agency. It was going to be nearly impossible for them to keep all of their key free agents, given their cap situation.

The only notable unrestricted free agent they were able to keep was Leonard Floyd, who they gave a four-year deal worth $64 million. Austin Blythe, John Johnson, Troy Hill, Gerald Everett, Morgan Fox and Josh Reynolds all left to sign with other teams, opening up holes across the Rams’ roster.

The silver lining all fans looked toward was compensatory picks, but the return won’t be as impactful as first expected. There was hope that Johnson would net the Rams a third-round pick in 2022. Being a quality starting cornerback, it was believed that Hill could return a fourth- or fifth-rounder. Everett has potential and some thought he would sign a solid contract and get the Rams back a mid-round pick. Blythe was seen as a mid-tier center, certainly worth more than the bargain-bin contract he signed with the Chiefs.

Unfortunately, none of those players cashed in with huge deals, so the Rams won’t get much back for losing them. According to Over The Cap, only Johnson is projected to net Los Angeles better than a sixth-round compensatory pick.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-05-at-12.19.06-PM.png

Blythe’s contract is so cheap that he doesn’t even qualify for a compensatory pick, which is a huge disappointment for the Rams. Fortunately, they will get a 2022 third-rounder for losing Brad Holmes to the Lions, in addition to the third-round pick they received this year.

But in terms of free-agent losses, the Rams’ projected compensation isn’t nearly as significant as initially expected before free agency began. It certainly won’t be as impactful as the third- and fourth-rounders they got this year for Dante Fowler and Cory Littleton leaving a year ago.
Well had they lost Floyd, as we expected, then they would have gotten a 3rd, 4th, and two 6ths.

So they keep him and instead just get another 6th.

Only surprise for me was I thought Hill might get us at least a 5th.

Of course still get another 3rd for Holmes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Sebastian Joseph-Day dislikes this post.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like the extra ammo. I feel like this year's comp picks can replace most of the players we lost and at a cheaper price for now. If that happens, those comp picks next year are just trade ammo if we like somebody in the 5th round.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sebastian Joseph-Day dislikes this post.

I agree... SJD has worked out well (it took 2 years). And Jordan Fuller was a steal! But now we need McSnead to pick up a couple more. I don't have a list of 6th round picks the Rams have made, but I'm pretty sure these two guys are the exceptions. I just hope McSnead can hit on at least 2 of them (out of 4). Don't trade up 4 picks for 1 guy in the 5th round... play the numbers game. JMO

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The only one I thought we would get a decent comp for is JJ. The rest are JAGS and why the Rams didn’t sign them.

As for Blythe, no one expected anything for him did they?

Whoever wrote this is not a ROD member.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree... SJD has worked out well (it took 2 years). And Jordan Fuller was a steal! But now we need McSnead to pick up a couple more. I don't have a list of 6th round picks the Rams have made, but I'm pretty sure these two guys are the exceptions. I just hope McSnead can hit on at least 2 of them (out of 4). Don't trade up 4 picks for 1 guy in the 5th round... play the numbers game. JMO

Greg the Leg was a 6th rounder. And E.J. Gaines gave them a couple good years.