Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Pretty damn impressive if he brings Wade along. I have read some pretty amazing quotes about him from his players and fellow coaches. Color me optimistic on this one. I like it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Linehan, Spagnolo 3.0? Unproven HC AGAIN. Even though he's bringing along a proven competent DC in Wade Phillups, McVey is still a huge gamble.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Linehan, Spagnolo 3.0? Unproven HC AGAIN. Even though he's bringing along a proven competent DC in Wade Phillups, McVey is still a huge gamble.
So e can't hire first timers but you want us to hire Kyle Shanahan? We can't hire veteran coaches cause of Fisher either. Guess it's QB and head coach Jared Goff.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Really happy about this hire. Also I'm impressed that they didn't wait and just went out and got the guy they wanted, it'll make getting the best staff that much easier.
yeah I can't believe we haven't signed a dc,oc, qb coach or ol coach yet what in the world is the hold up.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I can't believe for the first time ever, I am older than an NFL HC. This isn't a knock on McVays age, just that it sucks that im getting older :(

Leuzer

Daniel Leu

It's gonna take a few years to make us a contender, but I think he's going to be our guy for a long time. Excellent hire!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/nfls-young-coaches-have-been-a-mixed-bag/

NFL’s young coaches have been a mixed bag
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 12, 2017

107686880.jpg
Getty Images

The Rams have made 30-year-old Sean McVay the youngest head coach in modern NFL history, and he’s immediately drawing comparisons to the man he replaced for that distinction, former Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin. But while it’s true that Kiffin was both a young head coach and an unsuccessful head coach, there have been some success stories among the youngest head coaches as well.

Mike Tomlin and Bill Cowher were both 34 when they became head coach of the Steelers, and both won Super Bowls. Jon Gruden was 34 when he was hired by the Raiders. He had success in Oakland and then even more success in Tampa Bay. Go a little further back, and Hall of Fame coaches John Madden and Don Shula were hired at ages 32 and 33, respectively.

If you go really far back you’ll actually find lots of player/coaches who were younger than McVay, such as George Halas, who was 25 years old in his first season leading the Decatur Staleys, who would soon change their name to the Chicago Bears. But we’re talking only about the modern NFL.

With that in mind, here are the coaches who, along with McVay, make up the 10 youngest NFL coaches in modern history, with their ages at the time they were hired:

Lane Kiffin, Raiders, 31 years, 8 months: Had a miserable and short tenure in Oakland characterized by major disagreements with Al Davis about quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Harland Svare, Rams, 31 years, 11 months: Took over in the middle of the 1962 season and became something of an old-time Jeff Fisher, with surprising job security despite frequently mediocre teams. Svare resigned from his second head-coaching job, with the Chargers, in the middle of the 1973 season even though he had signed a five-year contract extension just a year earlier.

John Michelosen, Steelers, 32 years, 2 months: Never got to the playoffs in four years with the Steelers, finishing with a 20-26-2 record from 1948 to 1951.

Raheem Morris, Buccaneers, 32 years, 4 months: Got fired after three seasons and a 17-31 record from 2009 to 2011. Is currently the assistant head coach and wide receivers coach for the Falcons. Hasn’t drawn a lot of interest for other coaching vacancies.

David Shula, Bengals, 32 years, 7 months: Has one of the worst coaching records in NFL history, 19-52. Left coaching after the Bengals fired him to work in his father’s steakhouse business.

Josh McDaniels, Broncos, 32 years, 8 months: Was fired during his second season after compiling an 11-17 record. Is now a well-regarded assistant with the Patriots who is seen as a likely future head coach.

John Madden, Raiders, 32 years, 10 months: A Hall of Famer with the highest winning percentage of any coach in modern NFL history. Retired to become the NFL’s most popular TV broadcaster, a hugely successful commercial endorser and the front man for a video game that has generated billions of dollars in revenues.

Don Shula, Colts, 33 years, 4 days: Got the Colts to the playoffs three times, then went to the Dolphins, where he became the winningest coach in NFL history.

Al Davis, Raiders, 33 years, 6 months: Before he hired Kiffin and Madden in Oakland, Davis coached the team himself. He was AFL coach of the year in 1963, his first year coaching the Raiders.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
yeah I can't believe we haven't signed a dc,oc, qb coach or ol coach yet what in the world is the hold up.
Not what I'm inferring at all. Some of the best candidates for those positions are up for either head coaching positions or may be sought-after for other staffs once some more teams are eliminated from the playoffs. It'll be nice to have the head start on that.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
So many rumors and things going around about the potential coordinators. I'd love to keep Fassell - maybe that was even apart of the interview process. Like all of us I hope McVay can bring in a top notch staff.

However the purpose of this post was to bring up another free agent name that I heard on the radio. Not Garcon or Jackson, but Vernon Davis will be a free agent. He would be a very interesting guy to bring in for our team. A nice option for Goff. A veteran offensive player that has played with McVay. I know we have a few tight ends on our roster but it seems to me like Davis could really be something for our team.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The Rams have a new "young gun" leader in town named Sean McVay. I tease about his Age but I'm actually excited to have him on board.

He was never my first choice of preference but he was one of my Top 4. I'm ready to see if McVay's energized Millennial brand of coaching changes the losing culture our team. The sooner he gets the respect of the veterans and captains, the quicker the 2017 team will buy into his message/plan.

Like many have already posted, he's got many similar quirks about him that are very Jon Gruden like. I believe he's going to be a tough little "Son of Gun" and gain the respect of players sooner than some might think.

I do think McVay is going to have some bumps in the road early but he doesn't come across to me as some little submissive players coach that is going to let the inmates run the asylum.

I have faith he's going clean up the crap that has caused the the Rams to be in the Top 5 in penalties under the watch of the last regime.

Hail to the Rams new young

...__...."Disciplinarian"

addon.php

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
"What are they saying over at ROD about me being hired as head coach?"

"Many are concerned that you're too young, Sean."

giphy.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/819718465409798145

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0611355122538123899-4

Bears TE Logan Paulsen, with the Redskins from 2010-15, told ESPN's John Keim he thinks Sean McVay is "one of the best at seeing the game from a big-picture perspective." "Even as a young coach, the way Sean talked about the game wasn't on a small scale like a tight end position coach would.

It was on a grand scale of understanding conceptions of what the defense was trying to do and what the offense was trying to do within the confines of every play. That perspective just grew during his time as a position coach, and when he became the coordinator it just expanded. Sean is a prodigy in that way. It's very special to have a guy who understands those levels of football."

Ram65

Legend

View: https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/819718465409798145

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0611355122538123899-4

Bears TE Logan Paulsen, with the Redskins from 2010-15, told ESPN's John Keim he thinks Sean McVay is "one of the best at seeing the game from a big-picture perspective." "Even as a young coach, the way Sean talked about the game wasn't on a small scale like a tight end position coach would.

It was on a grand scale of understanding conceptions of what the defense was trying to do and what the offense was trying to do within the confines of every play. That perspective just grew during his time as a position coach, and when he became the coordinator it just expanded. Sean is a prodigy in that way. It's very special to have a guy who understands those levels of football."

Wow!