Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hiring Coughlin for the front office was an inspired move. Congrats Jags fans, whatever happens with Marrone your team is now going to have a no-nonsense direction.

Jack & Ramsey . Good young defensive core.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This many interviews tells me one thing: they want real information about the team from as many unbiased sources as they can get because they simply don't trust any of the info they have from Fisher.

Plenty of teams have been this bad or worse, identified a few candidates, interviewed them and made relatively quick decisions because for better or worse, they knew the truth of their situation.

I don't think Demoff trusts that he has good information. I think that he is probably feeling he relied too heavily on Fisher and this process is a reorienting of sorts.

I'm glad Demoff is doing it this way. Throw out the bad info and reload with good info. It would be hard to even make the coaching decision with all that bad info still in the building. Having all these new perspectives may help inform that one candidate is actually better than another when initially, they would have preferred another based on their initial bad info.

It's no surprise that so many are guys we played against...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let's not make excuses and pretend this is a benefit. It's treating people like crap for the Rams' own benefit. If the Rams aren't intending to hire these guys, it's a dick move.

I don't want you to interview me if you aren't interested in hiring me. Because like most people, I put a ton of work and energy into prepping for an interview. If it's a job I really want and I don't get it, it hurts. It makes me question what I did wrong in the process. Screw the experience. Don't string me along. I don't need it.

Reminds me of a volunteer job I did. I interviewed for a position in the kitchen of a retirement home. Management said that I had the job after my interview and that I just needed to volunteer for a set amount of time before they hired me fulltime. I work there for a year without pay, asking after every month if they were going to hire me. They said that they weren't going to hire me after the twelfth month. Which sucked because I had made a lot of friends in my job, including the manager. A lot of them wondered why I hadn't been hired.

They strung me along, and it sucked.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Kind of a dick move, if you ask me.

Yeah, it takes iterations. Practice. You wouldn't want your dream job to be your second interview NFL HC interview. It's grueling...

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Let's not make excuses and pretend this is a benefit. It's treating people like crap for the Rams' own benefit. If the Rams aren't intending to hire these guys, it's a dick move.

I don't want you to interview me if you aren't interested in hiring me. Because like most people, I put a ton of work and energy into prepping for an interview. If it's a job I really want and I don't get it, it hurts. It makes me question what I did wrong in the process. Screw the experience. Don't string me along. I don't need it.
I agree in a way, but interview experience in high level jobs is very hard to get. I've had to interview many more times than I would have liked, but I improved after every one.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I don't think the Rams know who they are going to hire. Know some of the interviews may be "practice interviews" in the sense that the Rams may not have initially have them as tier one candidates. But if any candidate blows them away, I'm pretty sure Demoff won't hold that initial eval against them. I mean, pretty sure Vrabel isn't a tier one candidate, but if he smokes even McVay's presentation? Do you think Demoff is going to ignore that because of his initial designation?

I don't. Once a guy has an interview, it's a shot. AND...it's one of the limited opportunities to interview for an NFL HC position.

Occasionally a team knows who it wants to hire, but those days seem far gone as the days of recycling HCs as the de facto method of acquiring the next HC is in the past. Teams are doing tons more research now.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
DAMMIT!!!

Trust me on this. We do not want McVay coaching the 9ers. We already have tough coaches in Carroll and Arians in the division...dammit.

He could have the Harbaugh effect up there...

Just sayin'

If we don't hire him, I want McVay to stay with the Redskins. Let the 49ers hire someone else. He has too much potential to be great.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think it's unlikely he remains a OC. He's nailing too many interviews.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Why would interviewing a lot of candidates be a bad thing?

As an organization, research should have been done to identify 3-5 top candidates prior to interviewing anyone. There isn't another company out there in the corporate world that would interview 10 candidates for the "CEO" position. Time is money.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Probably not. Hopefully he would hold off until next year though, when we're still in danger after the 49ers fire their head coach within 1 year again.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
If Demoff wants to learn about the Rams he needs to read this board.

It's all right here a click away.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I hope the Rams hire McVay. I'm sold.

I will support and root hard for McVay if he's indeed the choice. He makes my Top 4 armchair wishlist but I confess that I have a bit of a distance between the Top 2 compared to number 3 & 4.

#1____________________________#2
addon.php
addon.php

#3____________________________#4
matt-patricia.jpg
26b86eab890903721557ffb720580eb2_crop_exact.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As an organization, research should have been done to identify 3-5 top candidates prior to interviewing anyone. There isn't another company out there in the corporate world that would interview 10 candidates for the "CEO" position. Time is money.
It wouldn't be very wise to only interview 3-5 guys when there are 6 jobs open
In addition, they re using the HC interview window to potentially look at coordinators
I was in executive recruiting and never heard that there was a "cap" to how many interviews per position
And right now, what the Rams actually do have IS time, so they have the opportunity to interview other candidates that may have been bypassed if they didn't have a flexible time frame.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if Buffalo hires Lynn, the Rams Shanahan, the 49ers McDaniels, Denver hire Joseph and San Diego hires Toub or Patricia, where else would he go?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Mack, do you really think in today's day and age anyone would say that somebody did not give a good interview? Reports were that Anthony Lynn gave an outstanding interview too.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Mack, do you really think in today's day and age anyone would say that somebody did not give a good interview? Reports were that Anthony Lynn gave an outstanding interview too.

View: https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/818191172573216768

It happens. Seems like the well connected reporters have nothing to gain from it though. Ruins relationships between teams and agents (and prospective candidates) and in turn ruins the relationship between the source and the reporter. Just not good all around unless you're looking to make a name for yourself.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So if Buffalo hires Lynn, the Rams Shanahan, the 49ers McDaniels, Denver hire Joseph and San Diego hires Toub or Patricia, where else would he go?

I don't see things breaking that way Dieter... Way I see it:

1. Denver will go balls out for Shanahan. His complementary BS towards them seems to echo what we've heard in the press. If Rams wait for him they'll strike out on him. The Joseph stuff is fluffed by the media IMO, he does not compare to Shanny as a candidate, neither does Toub, and Elway knows it.

2. Rams will go McDaniels. I suspect there's something in play with him and Caserio, who passed on the whiners' job but did not list why, i.e. he was not blocked like KC's guy that I know of. Familiarity and all that with Stan will win out and Stan gets his second shot at implementing the Patriots' Way.

3. Forty weiners will take a flyer on McVay. Family connection, red hair, all that. He's also in his first job so will take an offer to work for a dip$#!t owner.

4. Chargers will hire Mike Smith. They need a defensive guy, and Patricia is an option sure but Smith is the seasoned option who will be able to build that staff around existing guys like Whisenhunt.

Odd men out are Toub and Patricia.