Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/21/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Speaking of Mike Pouncey, he's the highest paid center in the NFL NOW. He re-upped with the Dolphins for 5 yrs/$50m

That's how spooked teams are about the C position... That knucklehead just got ten mill per...
The Dolphins like to hand out crazy contracts from time to time. You see how they unloaded that crazy Mike Wallace contract only 2 years after they signed him. lol

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I saw the signing of Reynolds as a direct result of not being able to lock up Barksdale right away at their price. Reynolds is the new Barksdale. 1. He can hold the ORT tackle position for a year if need be, 2.be the mentor to the new ORT at the beginning of the season, or 3.be great depth to have in reserve.

However I would prefer an upgrade at ORT from what the Rams had and I am not sure Reynolds is that upgrade, so I am hoping he is option #2 or #3

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I dont mean to sound like a broken record here, but you continue to completely dismiss that the "back up plan" was injured too. Barnes can and has played Guard. So has Barrett Jones. That they didn't use them, should only exaggerate the point that they just weren't available. Mike Person was the #10 man on the depth chart and he was pushed into duty due to all of the injuries.

Just run down the list of players who ended up on the injured list at one point or another: Scott Wells (lime disease, elbow injury); Barrett Jones (back surgery); Tim Barnes (pinched nerved, shoulder injury, bruised ribs); Demetrius Rhaney (knee injury - IR); Jake Long (ACL - IR) Rodger Saffold (shoulder injury); Mike Person (shoulder); Brandon Washington (missed 3 weeks in training camp).

You reference the Vermiel Offensive lines. You want to know what they had more than anything else? Continuity that comes from guys remaining healthy. I challenge you to name the backups on those GSOT teams. We all remember guys like Nutten, Gruttudaria, Tucker and later McCollum, because they stayed on the field. So to say this can compare to that just isn't fair.

Well what does that tell us? That the Rams are just unlucky? Or are just snake bit on the Oline. Maybe but that has been going on for a long time. I don't see how drafting an injured guy in round 4 made the line woes any better. Then adding an injured Center and an oft injured OLT. I am sorry for the pessimism. But the more we talk about this more frustrated I get rehasing all of the Oline failure this team has had over the last 10 years. I want to go back to the time when all we were worried about was how was finally going to nail down the ORT position.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Well what does that tell us? That the Rams are just unlucky? Or are just snake bit on the Oline. Maybe but that has been going on for a long time. I don't see how drafting an injured guy in round 4 made the line woes any better. Then adding an injured Center and an oft injured OLT. I am sorry for the pessimism. But the more we talk about this more frustrated I get rehasing all of the Oline failure this team has had over the last 10 years. I want to go back to the time when all we were worried about was how was finally going to nail down the ORT position.
Wells wasn't injured when they signed him. He had a MINOR procedure to clean up his knee. He was ready to go in game one. His knee had nothing to do with his broken foot. So please don't keep trying to say they signed an injured center, because that isn't true.

As to drafting Jones, we already discussed that. It wasn't the foot injury that set his development back. He wasn't gonna play that first year regardless. It was the back injury from LAST YEAR that has hindered his progress. And based on early reports, he is bigger and stronger and HEALTHY reporting to the team workouts this week.

This is the epitome of the instant gratification society. On one hand you seem to complain about them NOT developing younger players, but it seems that if they aren't contributing by year two they are not ever going to.

All you see is the failure, but don't want to even try to understand the reasons why. It's April 23rd, so if you want to stay firmly entrenched in your misery, you have a long wait til you see the light at the end of the tunnel. For me, I am anxiously awaiting the next 2 or 3 weeks, and seeing how this will all come together.

iced

And from weeks 10 through 17 he had the 2nd most snaps on Special Teams each week, usually only a few behind Chase reynolds. I'm not worried about him not making the field in 2013 - we heard the reasons why for it were more related into being in Fisher's dog house more than anything.

Cunningham may have developed but he's still not where Isiah is at on 3rd down, particularly when it comes to catching the ball

He also had a receiving role @ Niners

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
JMO JT didn't HAVE to answer the question the way he did and FWIW indicates to me he could be as much a part of the problem and accusing other posters of being petty only makes think those who bash bashing are pointing one finger only to have 4 pointing back.

JMO the Rams are doing what is responsible by not overpaying Bark and well could have their eye on a player in the draft who will be or already is better than Barks and or another guard who himself would be better than a FA guard.

The surest measure of what anyone is "worth" is indicated by what someone WILL pay them so far the rest of the league has not broken down Barks door to give him more than the Rams OR he'd be gone NOW.

As far as JT and what I think ,. his answer was petulant and he is reaching Bernie strata, I sure do hope no one here is going to tell me that my opinion on this is childish ,it's honest and if it's not good enough for them,they can do as they suggest others do just don't read my content and realize I'm only holding them to the standards they seem to think is their prerogative but others aren't worthy of.

So shoot me that's how I see it

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I can't believe that friggin Pead is still being called our best ANYTHING. What has that young man ever done to ever deserve that kind of love?? 30 or so total snaps??? Craziness. Barret Jones isn't an injured player? Then what IS he? Seriously, a few fans have seen him in training camp and declare he and Pead as better than (enter actual NFL starter name here)? Nope. Not in my mind. I kinda like my Rams to play in actual games. That is kinda the point. The Rams are too good at this point to even consider having to rely on "veteran" players at key positions who have never done a thing at this level...

iced

I can't believe that friggin Pead is still being called our best ANYTHING. What has that young man ever done to ever deserve that kind of love?? 30 or so total snaps??? Craziness..

Special Teams is just as important as offense and defense.

What's crazy is people want him cut I'm guessing because of where he was drafted; nothing with what he brings to the team. Again, He's the starting Gunner that was one of the better coverage units in the NFL, and is one of our top 3rd down backs. If Cunningham goes down, who do you want picking up blitz's for foles? A guy that has proven he could do it or hope and pray your "next man up" can do it. TBH I'd rather have Pead in there ahead of Cunningham - better hands and better pass pro

If we're talking pure value to the team, it's friggin crazy that I'm seeing Pead being mentioned as a cut way before other players, like Givens and Stacy. And if people wanna talk about cap hits, again, Givens. Givens has a $1.542 million cap hit - higher than Pead.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I can't believe that friggin Pead is still being called our best ANYTHING. What has that young man ever done to ever deserve that kind of love?? 30 or so total snaps??? Craziness. Barret Jones isn't an injured player? Then what IS he? Seriously, a few fans have seen him in training camp and declare he and Pead as better than (enter actual NFL starter name here)? Nope. Not in my mind. I kinda like my Rams to play in actual games. That is kinda the point. The Rams are too good at this point to even consider having to rely on "veteran" players at key positions who have never done a thing at this level...
So a "veteran" who hasn't contributed for various reasons by now will NEVER be able to develop into a good NFL player?

There is a huge difference between a player who cannot play due to legitimate injuries (B. Jones) and someone who isn't able to get on the field because of a lack of talent
(Givens) Again, for all the complaining some people do about this organization NOT developing players, I would love for someone to explain to me what they consider developing.

Play now, or you wont ever amount to anything.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So a "veteran" who hasn't contributed for various reasons by now will NEVER be able to develop into a good NFL player?

There is a huge difference between a player who cannot play due to legitimate injuries (B. Jones) and someone who isn't able to get on the field because of a lack of talent
(Givens) Again, for all the complaining some people do about this organization NOT developing players, I would love for someone to explain to me what they consider developing.

I am guessing the reason is, that when you see successful players they usually didnt take years to get there until they started. Consider the Rams starting roster. Who is on it that sat for a few years before getting to start so they can develop?

Aren't the Rams like most other teams? I dont think the idea of developing players into starters is all that common. Maybe a QB or an Olinemen here and there sit and develop, but even TEs that converted to OTs in college usually start right away. Even backup corners get playing time. It isn't like all of the other NFL teams rosters are full of these developmental types that sat or two or three years.

BTW I would consider having to have your knee scoped to mean there is something wrong with that knee, which translates to an injured knee. That is why I cite Wells as having an injury.

I am not exactly wallowing in misery I can't wait for the season to start. If I lived in St. Louis I would be excited to see training camp. I love the draft. I just am tired of the Oline problems and don't believe the solutions to fill the 3 remaining holes are on the roster right now. However if Jones or Barnes become he greatest Olinemen in the history of the game I will be happy to be wrong.

Alan

Legend
iced with this view:
What's crazy is people want him cut I'm guessing because of where he was drafted
; nothing with what he brings to the team. Again, He's the starting Gunner that was one of the better coverage units in the NFL, and is one of our top 3rd down backs. If Cunningham goes down, who do you want picking up blitz's for foles? A guy that has proven he could do it or hope and pray your "next man up" can do it. TBH I'd rather have Pead in there ahead of Cunningham - better hands and better pass pro

If we're talking pure value to the team, it's friggin crazy that I'm seeing Pead being mentioned as a cut way before other players, like Givens and Stacy. And if people wanna talk about cap hits, again, Givens. Givens has a $1.542 million cap hit - higher than Pead.
I think you're being a little too harsh there when you talk about people wanting him cut because of his draft status. Yeah, STs are very important and I like his work there but I'm thinking most of his naysayers would rather have someone who is good/great on special teams and a good positional option. Easier said than done of course but that's what I want too.

I see no real reason to keep Givens except for this:

11Tavon AustinWR245-81763West Virginia
12Stedman BaileyWR245-101943West Virginia
--Emory BlakeWR236-01921Auburn
81Kenny BrittWR266-32237Rutgers
13Chris GivensWR256-02034Wake Forest
83Brian QuickWR256-32184Appalachian State
10Damian WilliamsWR266-12006USC
--Devon WylieWR265-91872Fresno State

We need to keep at least 5 WRs and when looking at these possibilities, which 5 would you keep? I'd keep the bolded ones .

When looking at the RB position we have this:

36Benjamin CunninghamRB245-102173Middle Tennessee State
27Tre MasonRB215-82072Auburn
24Isaiah PeadRB255-102044Cincinnati
34Chase ReynoldsRB276-02053Montana
30Zac StacyRB245-92243Vanderbilt
42Trey WattsRB245-92082Tulsa
46Cory Harkey TE/FB 246-42594UCLA

Even if we cut Pead or Reynolds are we going to keep 5 or 6 RBs counting Harkey who's our defacto FB? The WR position frequently fields 3 starters with backups required. Are we saying we need the same amount of players at RB?

IMO, our goal should be to replace players like Chase & Pead (and Givens for that matter). I don't think we're at that point yet though. Still, I'd cut Pead before I cut Givens just because of the numbers.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

This will be Pead's fourth year in the league. Fourth. Thus far, he has been beaten for the starting job by 3 RBs that were drafted with or after him. NONE as highly I might add. I have heard reports such as "he had his head up his ass", and "he is upset with himself and pouting" as reasons that he was in Fishers doghouse in the past. Great. I have no problem with a kid maturing and getting a second chance. I have nothing against IP, I just get sick of hearing how amazing he is when there is little to no proof that he is ANYTHING other than a seldom used ST player.Maybe last year was going to be that year. He certainly looked good in preseason. Shame that he had that knee injury, but at what point do you call a spade a spade? How long should the Rams spend developing this amazing talent? Into his next contract?

Yet Givens has actually produced in his career. I loved the B Jones pick, and I PRAY that he is ready to go this season, but the injuries he has sustained worry me. I am sure he is very talented. You don't win those kind of awards playing in the SEC by being JAG. The Lisfranc injury (any foot related injury for that matter) and then the issue with his back should worry us all. I would argue that his career is in jeopardy at this point. Luckily for him, he is a bright kid with an education that will be just fine without football.

Look, I am not trying to say that either player is not talented, What I am saying is that I don't think the Rams are in a position to rely on EITHER of them based on their history. Fair enough?

iced

Yep, and like I said, most of his issues last season had little do with on the field and mostly off the field.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Do other teams have fans of players who never play? Relying on Bradford's injuries was considered risky, but relying on Jones is considered a good idea? I don't think it should be considered impatient to wonder if a guy who's been injured for two years is going to be able to handle a full role. I don't think it's impatient to wonder if a RB is going to actually produce something before the end of a 4 or 5 year deal. There's a difference between players who are developing and players whose injuries or stupidity has kept them from practice, TC, or game snaps.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Over/Under on the Rams Defensive SACK total in 2015???

That's about 4-5 low on an over/under. They had issues last season with GW's scheme starting the season, but game 11 on they would have been on pace for over 56. With Fairly added and last year's experience, I am FULLY expecting Rams to make a run for most sacks this season. ESPECIALLY if they draft a top tier CB, which I hope they do round 1.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JMO JT didn't HAVE to answer the question the way he did and FWIW indicates to me he could be as much a part of the problem and accusing other posters of being petty only makes think those who bash bashing are pointing one finger only to have 4 pointing back.

JMO the Rams are doing what is responsible by not overpaying Bark and well could have their eye on a player in the draft who will be or already is better than Barks and or another guard who himself would be better than a FA guard.

The surest measure of what anyone is "worth" is indicated by what someone WILL pay them so far the rest of the league has not broken down Barks door to give him more than the Rams OR he'd be gone NOW.

As far as JT and what I think ,. his answer was petulant and he is reaching Bernie strata, I sure do hope no one here is going to tell me that my opinion on this is childish ,it's honest and if it's not good enough for them,they can do as they suggest others do just don't read my content and realize I'm only holding them to the standards they seem to think is their prerogative but others aren't worthy of.

So shoot me that's how I see it
Wow.

lockdnram21

Legend
Special Teams is just as important as offense and defense.

What's crazy is people want him cut I'm guessing because of where he was drafted; nothing with what he brings to the team. Again, He's the starting Gunner that was one of the better coverage units in the NFL, and is one of our top 3rd down backs. If Cunningham goes down, who do you want picking up blitz's for foles? A guy that has proven he could do it or hope and pray your "next man up" can do it. TBH I'd rather have Pead in there ahead of Cunningham - better hands and better pass pro

how is Givens cap hit bigger he was a 4th round pick. Pead was a 2nd round pick. But still Givens did more in his rookie year then Pead did in his entire Career

iced

how is Givens cap hit bigger he was a 4th round pick. Pead was a 2nd round pick. But still Givens did more in his rookie year then Pead did in his entire Career

and Pead has done more in his career since then than Givens has.

I don't know why the numbers are the way they are - but that's how it is. Givens costs more and provides less

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
and Pead has done more in his career since then than Givens has.

I don't know why the numbers are the way they are - but that's how it is. Givens costs more and provides less

I would argue that neither Pead or Givens has done Jack shit over the last two years. I see no signs of that changing anytime soon.

It's interesting to me that threads about replacing JL and CL find lots of people who think they are average or JAGs, yet Jones, Rhaney, Pead, Givens and others have just as many supporting them despite having done nothing to warrant such faith.