Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/21/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

I would argue that neither Pead or Givens has done Jack crap over the last two years. I see no signs of that changing anytime soon.

It's interesting to me that threads about replacing JL and CL find lots of people who think they are average or JAGs, yet Jones, Rhaney, Pead, Givens and others have just as many supporting them despite having done nothing to warrant such faith.

You won't see me talking ill of those said players. I liked Jones coming out of college - and know he's been recovering from injuries. Rhaney the same, but i don't know him as much..I like Jones a lot because of his iq - he never blew an assignment his last year.

I don't care about the past - I care about now. Pead provides 3rd down,KR, and Gunner duties. Givens is only a 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart as of now- before the draft-. Pead has value, with a lower contract. Period. Forget draft status - recognize value.

We had a good coverage team - it was even better with Pead. And don't forget our coach highly values defense and ST's.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You won't see me talking ill of those said players. I liked Jones coming out of college - and know he's been recovering from injuries. Rhaney the same, but i don't know him as much..I like Jones a lot because of his iq - he never blew an assignment his last year.

I don't care about the past - I care about now. Pead provides 3rd down,KR, and Gunner duties. Givens is only a 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart as of now- before the draft-. Pead has value, with a lower contract. Period. Forget draft status - recognize value.

We had a good coverage team - it was even better with Pead. And don't forget our coach highly values defense and ST's.

I don't think either Pead or Givens have much value. Givens is a WR who struggles to run routes and get open and Pead is a head case who did ok on STs thru part of a year. I wouldn't hesitate to release either one if room is needed for a UDFA who shows actual promise.

iced

I don't think either Pead or Givens have much value. Givens is a WR who struggles to run routes and get open and Pead is a head case who did ok on STs thru part of a year. I wouldn't hesitate to release either one if room is needed for a UDFA who shows actual promise.

Givens doesn't have much value.

Pead however, does. Best overall 3rd down back, KR, and a Stud gunner. Thus far, the headcase part is over. it's the injury..

And if people wanna point to Pead being a head case early in his career, then don't forget Jenkins and Givens running the stairs at SF... or Dunbar being suspended for suspended for PEDs.

Pead is just like kendricks imo - an undervalued piece of this team that would be missed

I swear the draft status is the only reason people hate on him - if he were a 4th,5th or even UDFA there wouldn't be a single complaint.

That's why i don't get it - it's about what he brings to the team NOW, not when he was drafted years ago.

hell he brings more value than Stacy and stacy can't even play special teams or #3 on the depth chart...sometimes can't even dress on game day

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Givens doesn't have much value.

Pead however, does. Best overall 3rd down back, KR, and a Stud gunner. Thus far, the headcase part is over. it's the injury..

And if people wanna point to Pead being a head case early in his career, then don't forget Jenkins and Givens running the stairs at SF... or Dunbar being suspended for suspended for PEDs.

Pead is just like kendricks imo - an undervalued piece of this team that would be missed

I swear the draft status is the only reason people hate on him - if he were a 4th,5th or even UDFA there wouldn't be a single complaint.

That's why i don't get it - it's about what he brings to the team NOW, not when he was drafted years ago.

hell he brings more value than Stacy and he can't even play special teams or #3 on the depth chart...sometimes can't even dress on game day

I don't care about his draft status. I haven't spoken of it once. He's a 2nd string 3rd down back who plays STs. He is in no way comparable to Kendricks as far as being undervalued IMO.

Stacy has proven he can get 1000 yds and has proven he can start in the league. I very much disagree with the notion he had less value than Pead. I'd say we're about as far apart on this as two people can get.

iced

I don't care about his draft status. I haven't spoken of it once. He's a 2nd string 3rd down back who plays STs. He is in no way comparable to Kendricks as far as being undervalued IMO.

Stacy has proven he can get 1000 yds and has proven he can start in the league. I very much disagree with the notion he had less value than Pead. I'd say we're about as far apart on this as two people can get.

Stacy is the exact opposite of the definition of a 3rd down back and has no ST value. With mason as 1a, cunningham as 1b, and cunningham/pead as 3rd down backs, yea Pead has more value from a pure a RB aspect alone. Then you add in Gunner and KR on ST's, and it's not even a question. I'm talking going forward - and Stacy does not appear to be apart of those plans.

Yea you're right - we're very apart on this.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wow. How anyone can put Stacy and Pead in the same sentence thus far in their careers is beyond me. That is some serious optimism for a guy who has not produced at this level and is coming off of a major knee injury. I hope Pead can contribute this year as more than a gunner, but there is no guarantee that he even makes the 53.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

IMO, comparing Pead to Kendricks is apples to oranges. But that's just me.

I'll dip my toe into the draft status water... with a high pick, I think it's fair to expect more. The fact that he may be "contributing" isn't enough to me... as a high pick, he should be contributing more than a ST guy and 3rd down back (which, even that is up for debate).

He's "contributing" like a 4th round pick...

I guess I keep going back to "what productivity have we lost by not taking another player with that high pick over what we have".

Call it lost opportunity.

lockdnram21

Legend
and Pead has done more in his career since then than Givens has.

I don't know why the numbers are the way they are - but that's how it is. Givens costs more and provides less
Givens played this past season and made some catches . last season he made some catches. so i would still say hes done more then Pead especially on offense

lockdnram21

Legend
Stacy is the exact opposite of the definition of a 3rd down back and has no ST value. With mason as 1a, cunningham as 1b, and cunningham/pead as 3rd down backs, yea Pead has more value from a pure a RB aspect alone. Then you add in Gunner and KR on ST's, and it's not even a question. I'm talking going forward - and Stacy does not appear to be apart of those plans.

Yea you're right - we're very apart on this.
how can u say that when we really have never seen him on the field on offense. Yes he might be talented but every time I seen him with the ball hes had happy feet

iced

Givens played this past season and made some catches . last season he made some catches. so i would still say hes done more then Pead especially on offense

yet costs more and doess less next season
how can u say that when we really have never seen him on the field on offense. Yes he might be talented but every time I seen him with the ball hes had happy feet
not every time - in the same breath its not like he or any of the backs often get good holes to run through either

however i do place a penchant on catching the ball and picking up blitz's/keeping the qb upright - only two backs on this team do that

IMO, comparing Pead to Kendricks is apples to oranges. But that's just me.

I'll dip my toe into the draft status water... with a high pick, I think it's fair to expect more. The fact that he may be "contributing" isn't enough to me... as a high pick, he should be contributing more than a ST guy and 3rd down back (which, even that is up for debate).

He's "contributing" like a 4th round pick...

I guess I keep going back to "what productivity have we lost by not taking another player with that high pick over what we have".

Call it lost opportunity.

And to me it's getting rid of something you have for an unknown. I'll take Pead and his 3rd down duties/Gunner/KR duties until we can find someone better to replace him with - not worse.

I like cunningham - but his hands are big one for me. Drops too many screen in particular

iced

Pead's value on ST makes his chances of staying much better than Givens and Stacy, imo. His roster spot is more dependent on health

4th/5th WRs and #3/4 RB's usually bring ST value