Rams Bring in QBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I say Quinn and/or McElroy. I've long rooted for Quinn but I think his book is written. Thought he would improve once he got out of Cleveland but he's never been a decent starter.

Haven't seen much of McElroy but maybe he was just a victim of the numbers game in NYJ? Decent college numbers at a big time school. Maybe he's worth developing? Wish he had better size. 6'2", 220 isn't anything to write home about.

Skelton's been pretty bad but his size and arm strength make him tempting if there's anything to work with. Can't trust what went on with the Cardinals considering how bad they were/are for QB's. Maybe in a new situation he's worth developing? He's never been accurate though and Harbaugh cut him after getting a look so I'm not too confident in what he's got to offer.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Skelton the Same qb that over threw like every wide open wr in arizona last year after Kolb got hurt? or was that a few yrs ago? If so that guy was horribly inacurate

moklerman

Warner-phile
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Skelton the Same qb that over threw like every wide open wr in arizona last year after Kolb got hurt? or was that a few yrs ago? If so that guy was horribly inacurate
Yeah, he's been pretty brutal for much of his career but he didn't exactly go to a good situation either. He was a project to be sure and was evidently playing too soon.

The only reason I'd go along with the Rams signing him is if the staff thought there was something there to develop. It's hard to imagine that there is based on his game stat's but a change of scenery and different coaching has paid dividends in the past. Really didn't like what Arizona did with their QB's most of the time and Warner made them look a lot better than they were IMO. But I do respect Harbaugh in that regard and if he gave up on Skelton then I'm very skeptical that there's anything there to develop. If it was just a numbers game or something then that's different but if Harbaugh didn't want him, I'd say forget it.

But Skelton's never been accurate. Not in college or the NFL so as much as his physical size and strength are tempting, I don't think he's got much of a future in the NFL.

EDIT: check that, I wonder who I was thinking of? I thought I'd looked at his college numbers in the past and that he was always under 60% but Skelton's completion % got better each year in college and he completed 64.1% his senior year. Maybe there is something there worth looking at?

Last edited by a moderator:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
That signature is just wild (I'm talking about the girl wearing red)

Of course you are! I'd be impressed if you were talking about the other one. I've decided to take a page from moklerman and add a some eye candy to my sig- that way you'd have to read my post :cheese: :bigup:

Last edited by a moderator:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Not sure about the cap implications, but what would it take to get Barkley from Philly? They seem pretty happy with Vick and Foles maybe the Rams have a player that they could trade for Barkley, maybe even throw in a draft pick. Barkley is inexpensive and would be a good candidate to groom behind SB in the future and definitely better then Clemens for the present.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I've nothing against USC and would probably pick them if I had to choose an NCAA team to follow but Barkley is NOT an NFL QB. Dude threw 3 picks in about 8 seconds of playing time when he relieved Foles the other day. Maybe for free just to take a wild stab in the dark but no way for a draft pick.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Not sure about the cap implications, but what would it take to get Barkley from Philly? They seem pretty happy with Vick and Foles maybe the Rams have a player that they could trade for Barkley, maybe even throw in a draft pick. Barkley is inexpensive and would be a good candidate to groom behind SB in the future and definitely better then Clemens for the present.

You realize that Barkley is their only healthy QB right now? If Foles fails the concussion exam, Barkley is their starter this week. he ain't goin anywhere, and no WAY I would trade anything more than a 5th for him without seeing more from him at this level.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I've nothing against USC and would probably pick them if I had to choose an NCAA team to follow but Barkley is NOT an NFL QB. Dude threw 3 picks in about 8 seconds of playing time when he relieved Foles the other day. Maybe for free just to take a wild stab in the dark but no way for a draft pick.

Agreed. Trying to think of the last USC QB to be relevant in the NFL....Palmer?? The only reason Sanchize was relevant was for his fancy modeling shoots, haha.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Of that list I like Carr the best. But with B. Quinn coming in I would prefer him over Carr. Tyler Wilson is intriguing as is Chandler Harnish from the Colts PS. Whoever is the "choice" I hope we sign 2.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I really can't stomach this. All of these options make me cringe.

I'm really pissed at this front office right now for running with 2QB's, especially when 1 of them is not really an option. Why did they take such huge risk, what was the benefit?

Given our options at the time I don't mind that we went with only 2. I think we all knew from the start if Bradford went down so did the season. Keeping a 3rd QB from the options available wasn't going to change that.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Of course you are! I'd be impressed if you were talking about the other one. I've decided to take a page from moklerman and add a some eye candy to my sig- that way you'd have to read my post :cheese: :bigup:
I just can't stop watching it! It messes up my ability to concentrate on other posts written in thread.

iced

it's like you guys used the same girl too...

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
Where's Austin Davis? I would sign him because he knows our offense. Bringing other QB's would have to adjust to our offensive philosophy, and WR's/TE's timing all over again.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Where's Austin Davis? I would sign him because he knows our offense. Bringing other QB's would have to adjust to our offensive philosophy, and WR's/TE's timing all over again.

This is the way the Rams go IMO...They will sign Davis & Quinn or Thigpen IMO. Again I hope the Rams go Thigpen because he's had some success at the NFL level and can run as well. Brady Quinn has failed every where he's has been and had an opportunity in KC last season and was just awful.

Davis will serve as the number 2 this week because he's knows the offense and hopefully it will be Thigpen and they can get him up to speed. But in the end IMO it will be Clemens for the rest of the year and the Rams will be lucky to be 5-11.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
This is the way the Rams go IMO...They will sign Davis & Quinn or Thigpen IMO. Again I hope the Rams go Thigpen because he's had some success at the NFL level and can run as well. Brady Quinn has failed every where he's has been and had an opportunity in KC last season and was just awful.

Davis will serve as the number 2 this week because he's knows the offense and hopefully it will be Thigpen and they can get him up to speed. But in the end IMO it will be Clemens for the rest of the year and the Rams will be lucky to be 5-11.

Dont get Sum started on Thigpen. LOL I wanted him in 2009 when Spags joined the team to replace Bulger.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dont get Sum started on Thigpen. LOL I wanted him in 2009 when Spags joined the team to replace Bulger.

Major difference between then and now...Then Bulger was still a better alternative (in fact, I'd probably take Bulger TODAY over Thigpen)...but we are talking about a backup to our replacement starter...not a replacement for our legitimate starter.

The Rams aren't looking for someone to play over Clemens...and there really isn't anyone out there that is going to propel this team to the playoffs coming off the street. Which is why I'm in favor of plucking someone off a practice squad and seeing what they can do as a developmental project.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Kyle Freakin' Boller

Someone get him on the phone LOL.

This is a better choice than the three that have come in already. Leinert will make me skip games I can tell you that right now.