Rams Back up QB 2023

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I know that @oldnotdead keeps insisting that the Rams will invest significant $ to keep Mayfield as a backup, but I'd be absolutely shocked if they do that. Rams have a ton of holes on the roster now and extremely limited cap space. Hard for me to understand the wisdom of investing $ in Baker.

And just my personal opinion, but Baker didn't show me enough to prove he could legitimately be "the guy" if something happened to Stafford.

I'm predicting that the Rams save $ by using one of their picks on a backup QB.

Let's see, he played behind the worst OL in the NFL, where the only starter on the OL wasn't exactly the best one. The only starting WR was just returning from injury. Oh yeah, he played his first game less than 48 hrs after arriving in LA and won in dramatic fashion. He won 2 of 5 games, and Stafford was 3 wins in 9 games with starters for most of those games. Oh yeah, have you listened to the way McVay enthused over Mayfield and exactly what he said? How much he likes Mayfield since before the Combine. McVay tweaked his plays to help Mayfield, something he did for Stafford and Mayfield but no one else, not even Goff.

It's not a matter of whether you or I like Mayfield. It's how McVay feels about Mayfield. The huge upside to signing Baker is that even if they pay him the same $8M they paid him for 5 games, to backup Stafford for one year it's already factored in the cap, it's simply not deducted on the new year, i.e. today. If Snead and McVay commit to Mayfield to be the starter in 2024 I really think he stays. If Baker stays it completely frees up Snead to wheel and deal those first round picks next year and beyond. Baker as a starter will be paid about half of what Stafford was being paid so look at the massive difference it will make with the cap.

I have never been a fan of Mayfield. But I will give credit where it is due. Why do you think Tampa who passed on him on the waiver wire suddenly wants him as their starter? Because he showed something he needed to show. He showed he could read defenses, and he could make all the throws accurately. Mayfield showed more than could be expected in those 5 games. If he could win 2 of 5 with a bunch of backups what can he do once he knows the full offense with the starters? Kupp will cook no matter who is spinning the ball. He made Tutu look like a legit Y receiver. He made Skowronek look like A Robinson. In other words, he raised the level of play of the skill position players around him. I'm sorry but that's impressive no matter who is doing it. Baker showed that with McVay designing plays for him he can be very good. Snead and McVay can't afford to make the same mistake with Mayfield that they made with Goff.

Ultimately the decision is Mayfield's to make. But Snead and McVay owe it to the franchise to make a run at him, not just let him walk. If both Goff and Mayfield blossom into franchise QBs on other franchises how will it make the Rams look the next time Stafford goes down, his health isn't one I'd bet on. IMO his undoing will be the same that destroys pitchers, elbow tendonitis. It really affected his throws beyond 20 yds, they were under or overthrown. With the sore elbow, Stafford had last year I really think his ability to complete the last pass would be a tossup considering the distance.

So yeah I personally think they will try to sign him and the only way they have a chance is to offer him the start in 2024.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do you think Tampa who passed on him on the waiver wire suddenly wants him as their starter?
Because they had Tom Frickin Brady at the time?
And riddle me this, they "promise" Mayfield the starting job in 2024, and Stafford goes out this year and throws for 4,200 yards and 30 TD. Do you bench Stafford and his 37.5 mill guaranteed contract? Because you "promised"?

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Heard the Rams want to bring back Perkins. Hopefully just for the practice squad.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
Minshew to the Colts on a 1yr $3.5mil deal
I have absolutely no idea why we didn't do something like this. I really think the plan is to tank 2023 and make the run in 2024. I simply can't believe that they would stick with Wolford or Perkins

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I have absolutely no idea why we didn't do something like this. I really think the plan is to tank 2023 and make the run in 2024. I simply can't believe that they would stick with Wolford or Perkins

Didn't the Rams refuse to tender Wolford, thus making him a UFA.
I could see him brought in as a camp arm and then being released. jmo.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
You and me both brother!

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Gotta say it sure is looking that way so far. Actions speak louder than words. So far there's more action from a guy with no limbs than the Rams free agency signings. :eyeroll::laugh1:

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Accusing the team of tanking 2023 because we don’t sign a backup QB is a new level of thinking.

Were most likely going to try and fill holes through the draft, and maximize comp picks by staying out of free agency.

Sincev when did building via the draft become tanking?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't the Rams refuse to tender Wolford, thus making him a UFA.
I could see him brought in as a camp arm and then being released. jmo.
I imagine the 2.6 mill they would be stuck with was the problem, now they can sign him to league min, which is about 1 mill

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
I honestly wouldn't mind spending a 7th rounder on getting a guy like Dorian Thompson-Robinson to be our backup.

Young, 5 year starter, hometown guy at UCLA, probablly be available to us. Played under Chip Kelly, so eh.

And would work great with WR Jake Bobo, who I heard is on the Rams radar

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I feel like it'll be Perkins and whichever QB we draft this year (hopefully a pocket passer that McVay can work with) If Stafford gets injured we're done anyways, in a write off year and would have a high first round draft pick for 2024.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
As someone purely focused on 23 as a developmental year... it'll drive me a little crazy if Bryce Perkins is on the roster next season.

He's not an NFL QB and never will be.. bring in prospects with real NFL potential.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Brian Hoyer was released by New England yesterday, he'll be very cheap, and along with Stafford could serve as a great mentor to a high quality newly drafted QB, if we go that route. jmo.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't follow the college guys as much as I used to. So I really don't know anything about the quarterbacks. But there has to be a few who aren't noodle arms and can run when needed. Sure, it won't be like the Purdy situation where all they have to do is throw short, easy passes to the playmakers. But at least have enough arm to throw downfield to guys like Jefferson and Tutu.