Rams at Dolphins vent thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
O was flat today. Our D showcasing once again its awesomeness. Nothing to show for it our O had plenty of chances early on to capitalize but failed to do so. I hate these games, but it is what it is. Watching the Chargers game now.
Watching the eagles right now and the game is very similar to ours.

TexasRam

Legend
This thread is hilarious. It's like listening to my kids whine and complain when they don't get their way.

I hate you, you suck, worst parents EVER!!!

Mcvay got taken to the shed, then Goff crumbled, Special teams exploded, not to mention 20+ batted passes and dropped passes.

It all went to hell.

It will be OK kids. We will woop up on Russell and the rest of the West. Mark it down.

But this was a great learning lesson for Mcvay, and he will learn how to counter the zero blitz.

Relax. 500-100 yards means nothing when you don.t counter a zero blitz correctly and turn the ball over.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh, I think this view takes the commentary from the broadcast too seriously. That color commentator was awful. We did not run many screens into obvious pressure in the first half. We had 3rd and long a bunch but usually that doesn't stop McVay.

The first pick was a fluke int from a defensive tackle on a well thrown ball, the other was a tipped ball. I thought the comeback routes were worse throws (Goff need to throws those with velocity if the corner can jump the route). The two fumbles came from unblocked rushers on an obvious blitz (no safety in the backfield, everyone on the LOS). Henderson absolutely whiffed on a rusher that hit Goff on his blindside. Whatever play we were running, the coaching staff believed that the blocks would hold.

......and the dropped pick six that the Dolphins DB dropped because he jumped the route too soon?

That first INT wasn't a fluke - it was a zone blitz where you drop a DL in coverage to bait a QB to throw an INT. Usually doesn't work on NFL caliber QBs. Goff's arm was hit on the second throw, but it still looked to be an awful decision.

We don't know that Henderson was supposed to block on that play - looked to me like he wasn't supposed to, Goff just ignored or didn't see the pressure

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah i didnt get that either... he does what all QB;s are asked to do.
Yeah it's getting bad when your coach literally tells you what's going on in a headset and people still think he's not doing enough for you.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
This one is on:

1. McVay. Too many promising drives were stalled because he went away from the run when it was working and when we were averaging over 5 yards per carry. I don't know what we finished at, but we were comfortably over 5 YPC in the first half. But as soon as we started getting deep in Miami territory, McVay started getting pass happy. Furthermore, he was doing so on a day when his QB was not playing well (more on that later). By the time McVay adjusted, we were in a huge hole. The stupid empty set formations that told them we weren't going to run cost us big today, because they saw that we weren't going to run, teed off, and caused turnovers. It also caused us to have to settle for a FG at the end of the first half when a TD would have been a huge momentum booster.

McVay seems to have been off his game for multiple weeks in a row now. The 49ers game was obviously a stinker. The Bears game was kind of so-so (I think the Rams could have easily scored more than 24). And today he was just gawd-awful. Didn't he hire an OC to whisper in his ear in situations like today? Is O'Connell whispering, or is McVay just ignoring him.

2. Goff. Just a mess for most of the game today. Missed too many open receivers, bad pocket awareness on a number of plays, and despite doing better later, the game could have been worse for him in the first three quarters. I realize his coach/playcaller didn't do him any favors today, but he's got to at least have the mental awareness to not let shitty playcalling turn into a disaster like that.

3. Special Teams. Giving up a punt return TD when we were already struggling was bad. KF missing the FG attempt was pretty bad as well. I can understand to a degree why they let GZ walk, he had some injury and consistency issues in recent years, and was going to cost a lot more than whoever they brought in. Still, they did not think this one through thoroughly enough.

4. Everett. Yes, I know it's only one play, but that drop at a critical juncture was just such a gutless play. And really it wasn't just that play, he missed some blocks and generally played bad today, didn't help his struggling QB or his team. We can bitch about Goff missing open receivers, but when he finds the open receiver and throws a perfect ball, the guy has to catch it. At this point, I'm about ready to wash my hands of Gerald. He's a great athlete, and his upside should be higher than Higs. But despite 3+ years in this offense, he still doesn't block well and still isn't consistent enough as a receiver. I'm ready to roll with Mundt and see what Hopkins can develop into. I just don't think Everett has it mentally to get better than he is now.

Generally, a gutless, shitty, stupid performance by the O and the ST.

I will give props to the D, and I won't grade them on a curve just because Miami started a rookie QB. The D played very well despite not getting any help whatsoever from the O and the ST, and did it down 4 starters. Feeling bad for Rapp who brought his A+ game only to see us lose.

All the writing is a waste of time. This was a team loss. You can place the blame on Goff, McVay, special teams etc. but it’s still a team loss. Need to get better for Seattle. Blaming each other doesn’t do that. Rams team is much better than its whining fans. They will get better. Who you going to blame for that?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
All the writing is a waste of time. This was a team loss. You can place the blame on Goff, McVay, special teams etc. but it’s still a team loss. Need to get better for Seattle. Blaming each other doesn’t do that. Rams team is much better than its whining fans. They will get better. Who you going to blame for that?

No, it's not a waste of time. Nobody gets better at anything unless they learn from what they did wrong and what didn't work.

And this is a message board. It's a place where people write stuff, other people read that stuff, and write other stuff in response to the first stuff. So if you don't like it, don't read it and don't write here, especially if you think it's a waste of time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I believe the biggest issue right now is passing from the pocket. This offense is so much better than last year's in the run game, but you cannot be one dimensional in this league and go very far. They gotta fix this and if they don't then running the ball 50 times a game, believe it or not, will not bring us more victories. It'll bring us more punts because teams will adjust to only sweating the run and stacking the box. We've been on that side of shit before in case some have forgotten.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Because Wofford gives you a better chance to win? Yeah, I didn't think so. Jared Goff did not lose that game.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
What I hated about the game was the constant Tua love fest by Fox.....OMG he didn't do shit.
The networks are in the business of selling football. Tua is the shiny new QB thing to talk about so that’s what they do.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I believe the biggest issue right now is passing from the pocket. This offense is so much better than last year's in the run game, but you cannot be one dimensional in this league and go very far. They gotta fix this and if they don't then running the ball 50 times a game, believe it or not, will not bring us more victories. It'll bring us more punts because teams will adjust to only sweating the run and stacking the box. We've been on that side of shit before in case some have forgotten.

Passing from the pocket is an issue to be sure, but today McVay tried to force it, and on a day where the opposition had a great plan to stop it. Why people are pissed off about it is because the Dolphins don't have a good run D, weren't really stopping our run, and on several drives before the Rams fell way behind, McVay got away from it as we got closer to the end zone, choosing to get cute with passes and empty set backfields (the latter telegraphing to the D that we weren't going to do what had been working best for us).

Shorter version, we had other options but McVay chose to forego those.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wait.....what?

Let me clarify. Rams NFL football. 40 Years of mostly losing takes its toll. The Niner game hurt quite a bit. Not sure if I need NFL football anymore, I have to say. But you never know.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Guys, our O line got rag dolled today and the coach got pass happy. Not a good combo. Their DBs were for the most part, blankets. They rolled up the Niners and rolled us up as well.
Bad loss, move on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Passing from the pocket is an issue to be sure, but today McVay tried to force it, and on a day where the opposition had a great plan to stop it.
I'm not talking about the Dolphins. I'm talking about moving forward. If you want to beat that drum beat it with someone else my man.

We have a problem in the passing game and that's in spite of the fact that we have a good ground game. I think the pieces are there, but it's by far our biggest issue.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Bad loss, move on.

Yeah but you can only say that so many times in a season, and then you find yourself missing the playoffs.
It's better to try and dissect WHY it was a bad loss.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Rams need to have options in trading Goff. He’s terrible. And maybe not renew Everett and trade Kupp and Reynolds as well. The Rams Offense is putrid.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
What's he asked to do that others aren't though? Mcvay seems to have a pretty friendly system.
Play from under center more than any other QB

Turn his back to the LOS

More footwork and ball handling

quite a bit more than standing in a shotgun looking downfield, actually

Status
Not open for further replies.