Rams Approved To Relocate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

beej

Rookie
well, I kind of get it now. Stan felt like a victim here in St Louis. A victim. a $7000000000 victim but still a victim. I sorta feel sorry for him now. I'm glad he did what he did being victimized and all, I guess he had no choice. This team is in good hands because I guess, eventually, Josh will be the owner like he is with the nuggets and avalanche. And they are doing good! so.....

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
An NFL return to St. Louis is difficult to envision
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...l-return-to-st-louis-is-difficult-to-envision

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- After the St. Louis football Cardinals departed for Arizona in 1987, it took eight years before the NFL returned to the city in the form of the Rams.

Now that the Rams are on their way back to Los Angeles after garnering league approval for relocation Tuesday, the question of when -- or if -- the league will again put a team in St. Louis has resurfaced.

It's a question that has no definitive answer because something that's true now might not be true tomorrow any more than it might be 30 years from now. Not long after the owners approved the Rams' move, it was Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones (of all people) who offered support for the city.

"Don't rule St. Louis out," Jones said. "It's got too much backbone, too much tradition. It's got a lot more heart. St. Louis is not only a great city, it is the heart of America. It just didn't have it right this time."

Those words almost certainly ring hollow in the Gateway City after Jones' clear and relentless efforts to help Rams owner Stan Kroenke get his Inglewood project approved and move his team out of town. They might carry even less weight for reasons that go beyond the fact that they came from an owner who actively worked against St. Louis in this situation.

In the hours that followed the decision to send the Rams to Los Angeles, the owners of the two teams most often connected to a potential move to St. Louis strongly shot down that notion.

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis has repeatedly said he's not interested, and though he said he would look at just about every option for his team, that apparently didn't include St. Louis. Asked directly if he'd consider it, he simply responded "absolutely not."

Shahid Khan
Jaguars owner Shad Khan, who doesn't see his franchise moving to St. Louis, sees value in the effort the city put up to keep the Rams.
A few hours later in that same hotel lobby, Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan, who has shot down rumors of a move to St. Louis on multiple occasions and -- more importantly -- invested a lot of money in his home market, followed suit when asked if he ever saw the possibility for the Jaguars to be in St. Louis, even well into the future.

"I don't see that at all," Khan said. "To me, it's like fate or destiny. It wasn't meant to be [for me] in St. Louis."

It's entirely possible that it may never be meant to be for St. Louis again. Although the last former NFL city to be abandoned and never get another team is Portsmouth, Ohio, way back in 1934, this is strike two for St. Louis. What's more, other markets such as London, San Diego and Toronto figure to be ahead of it in the pecking order for a team.

In Kroenke's application for relocation, he and his employees made it clear that they viewed St. Louis as a city that is stuck in the mud at best and regressing in a major way at worst when it comes to economics. Those points were often refuted by the St. Louis stadium task force, and even Forbes magazine offered opposition to some of the numbers to the study commissioned by the Rams. But apparently those numbers were solid enough for other owners to sit up and take notice.

Khan, who spent many years about two and a half hours from St. Louis in Champaign, Illinois, and who once watched as Kroenke exercised his right to buy the majority stake in the Rams at the last minute, said it's fair to wonder how St. Louis will be able to get the NFL back.

"The world is always changing," Khan said. "I lived not too far from St. Louis for many, many years. Just think about what St. Louis used to be. One of the big hubs, TWA and American, Ralston Purina and Monsanto, Anheuser-Busch. I'm in the auto parts business, I remember we had the Ford Explorer plant, [now it's] gone. The Chrysler minivan plant, gone. We still have the GM plant with the midsize, but the minivan has been moved out. It used to be a huge automotive center -- that's changed. All the corporate headquarters are gone too. So it's like, does it make sense? I think that's what you have to ask yourself. Does it make sense? Because if it is a smaller market, it has to be a private-public partnership. And it has to make sense for everybody."

Which brings us to the other side of the equation. St. Louis just went through a painstaking political process to raise the public funds to come up with a stadium offer to keep the Rams, only to sit helplessly by as the NFL flicked that offer aside. The league then promptly rewarded San Diego and Oakland, two cities that came nowhere close to the St. Louis proposal, a reprieve.

If you were St. Louis, would you really want to get back into business with the league after that?

The answer to that could very well be no. St. Louis mayor Francis G. Slay said as much Wednesday.

"At this point I'm so frustrated and disappointed with the NFL," Slay told reporters. "Why would anybody want to in any way even entertain any suggestions from the NFL after the way they dealt with St. Louis here? They were dishonest."

Like most things NFL-related, one can never say never. Time will heal wounds and eventually, there will be a team or teams that seek a new home. But it takes a lot of work and a whole lot of politicking to make that happen.

"I think what St. Louis and Missouri did was far, far better than not doing anything," Khan said. "Who are we to judge? But I think if you look at the result, it fell a little bit short but it's far better here to have tried and not succeeded than not trying at all."

RamBill you are the best

Thank you for all you do for me as a Ram fan - I hope you stay a fan and continue to do what you do
It's a great service to many of us truly

I mean when I see a RamBill post I know it's news about my team
Thanks again!!!

RamBill

Legend
Emotions run high in this episode, as the Rams’ move to Los Angeles is now official. Here’s the rundown: 1)Talking the relocation vote, and how Stan Kroenke trashed St. Louis on his way out. 2) What the relocation does to hurt the future of public funding for stadiums. 3) Kroenke calls himself a victim, but the true victims are the St. Louis fan base he leaves behind.

Listen to Randy & Bernie Talk Rams Move

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
http://www.wsj.com/articles/ranking...5new-york-ok-philadelphia-terrible-1451696231

Ranking America’s Top Sports Cities in 2015--New York OK, Philadelphia Terrible
The Cardinals and Blues helped propel St. Louis to the top of the heap in 2015. New York had a better year overall than in 2014, but there’s plenty of room for improvement.

By
Alex Raskin
Updated Jan. 1, 2016 8:21 p.m. ET
5 COMMENTS
New York was a winner in 2015—which is a statement of fact and not a quote from Donald Trump.

The city’s nine sports franchises in the four major professional leagues (NBA, NFL, NHL, and Major League Baseball) posted a combined winning percentage of .524 in the calendar year of 2015, according to Stats LLC. That’s pretty good, though not nearly as good as St. Louis, which earned the top spot in our table with a .622 average winning percentage last year. It was, however, a major improvement from 2014, when New York’s nine franchises combined for a .495 mark.

If only the Knicks and Nets could get their acts together, the New York metro area would rank among the nation’s best sports towns. It could be worse, though (see: Philadelphia).

BN-LX895_NYTAN0_FR_20160101184352.jpg
ENLARGE
Vladimir Tarasenko and the Blues helped St. Louis take the top spot on our list of the most successful sports cities of 2015. Photo: Associated Press
The Rangers and Yankees both stayed strong in 2015, but the biggest turnaround belonged to the Jets, who went from 4-12 in 2014 to 10-5 in 2015. (NHL teams were graded on point percentage as opposed to winning percentage, so as to account for overtime losses).

With apologies to proud towns such as Cincinnati, Kansas City and Seattle, the scope of our competition was limited to cities with at least three teams in the four major pro sports. Oklahoma City, whose Thunder boasted a .634 regular-season win percentage in 2015, may take issue. But then, Jacksonville, which has only the 5-10 Jaguars, wasn’t going to threaten the likes of St. Louis or Pittsburgh, regardless of the criteria.

Simply put, there was no place on Earth in 2015 quite like South Broad Street, where the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and 76ers combined to lose 224 times in 365 miserable days.

MO-AA099_WSA18_NS_20160101191651.jpg
ENLARGE
Philadelphians can blame the 76ers’ low-cost, low-reward strategy, but the Eagles spent big in the off-season, inking running back DeMarco Murray to a $45 million deal. Owner Jeffrey Lurie may have tossed another $13 million down the drain on Tuesday, when he fired head coach Chip Kelly.

The air of failure radiating from Philadelphia actually affected other cities in 2015.

The Phillies’ one contribution to the baseball season was the trade that sent second baseman Chase Utley to the playoff-bound Los Angeles Dodgers. That deal didn’t end well for the Dodgers, who were defeated in the NLDS, nor for the Mets, who lost shortstop Rubén Tejada when Utley broke his right leg in Game 2 of that series.

And is it any coincidence that the 3-12 Cleveland Browns are coached by Mike Pettine, who hails from the Philadelphia suburb of Doylestown, Pa.?

Former Eagles coach Chip Kelly didn’t do much to help Philadelphia get out of last place on our list. Photo: Associated Press
Philadelphia certainly made 2015 easier for New Yorkers, who are finding it harder to compete with their rivals to the Northeast, New Englanders. Boston finished eighth of the 21 qualifying cities in our rankings, buoyed by the Patriots (12-3) and Bruins (42-24-14), but stung by the Red Sox (78-84).

As for the other major cities, Chicago got great seasons from the Cubs (97-65) and Blackhawks (45-31-8), but was dragged into seventh place by the White Sox (76-86) and Bears (6-9). Los Angeles enjoyed plenty of wins with the Angels (85-77) and Clippers (55-28), but got stuck in 10th place thanks to the 17-66 Lakers.

As for New York, we could be in for a better year in 2016 given the Giants’ copious salary-cap space, the development of Knicks rookie Kristaps Porzingis, and the likelihood that the Islanders, Rangers and Devils will all make the Stanley Cup playoffs. Maybe the Nets can even turn the page on their 9-23 start.

MrMotes

Starter
You get that St. Louis is the best sports city to be a fan right?

The article says it's the best sports city to be a fan because of the teams.

It doesn't say its the best sports city to be a team because of the fans...

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
You get that St. Louis is the best sports city to be a fan right?

The article says it's the best sports city to be a fan because of the teams.

It doesn't say its the best sports city to be a team because of the fans...

You get that the 2 pretty much coincide right? You get that there's a reason multiple FAs for the Cardinals and Blues mention the fans every year when they're citing reasons as to why they decided to come to Stl right? You get that the Rams have literally been the worst team in the history of the league for the past decade and a half right?

Do you live in St. Louis or the surrounding area?

Last edited:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Everyone in that stadium was chanting and multiple chants broke out the entire night. Do you think that means the people of this city don't care about the team leaving?
Could you ask them? Do you know what it's like to live in one of the most passionate and historical sports cities in the nation? Where you could have a conversation with anyone be it co-worker, client, family member, any random person about a sports team in the city and they'll automatically identify with it?

RamBill

Legend
RamBill you are the best

Thank you for all you do for me as a Ram fan - I hope you stay a fan and continue to do what you do
It's a great service to many of us truly

I mean when I see a RamBill post I know it's news about my team
Thanks again!!!

You're welcome, DtB

I'm definitely still a fan....I've been a fan since the 70's and a fan for life.... I'll just keep on doing what I do.

Thanks for the kind words....much appreciated.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
http://www.wsj.com/articles/ranking...5new-york-ok-philadelphia-terrible-1451696231

Ranking America’s Top Sports Cities in 2015--New York OK, Philadelphia Terrible
The Cardinals and Blues helped propel St. Louis to the top of the heap in 2015. New York had a better year overall than in 2014, but there’s plenty of room for improvement.

By
Alex Raskin
Updated Jan. 1, 2016 8:21 p.m. ET
5 COMMENTS
New York was a winner in 2015—which is a statement of fact and not a quote from Donald Trump.

The city’s nine sports franchises in the four major professional leagues (NBA, NFL, NHL, and Major League Baseball) posted a combined winning percentage of .524 in the calendar year of 2015, according to Stats LLC. That’s pretty good, though not nearly as good as St. Louis, which earned the top spot in our table with a .622 average winning percentage last year. It was, however, a major improvement from 2014, when New York’s nine franchises combined for a .495 mark.

If only the Knicks and Nets could get their acts together, the New York metro area would rank among the nation’s best sports towns. It could be worse, though (see: Philadelphia).

BN-LX895_NYTAN0_FR_20160101184352.jpg
ENLARGE
Vladimir Tarasenko and the Blues helped St. Louis take the top spot on our list of the most successful sports cities of 2015. Photo: Associated Press
The Rangers and Yankees both stayed strong in 2015, but the biggest turnaround belonged to the Jets, who went from 4-12 in 2014 to 10-5 in 2015. (NHL teams were graded on point percentage as opposed to winning percentage, so as to account for overtime losses).

With apologies to proud towns such as Cincinnati, Kansas City and Seattle, the scope of our competition was limited to cities with at least three teams in the four major pro sports. Oklahoma City, whose Thunder boasted a .634 regular-season win percentage in 2015, may take issue. But then, Jacksonville, which has only the 5-10 Jaguars, wasn’t going to threaten the likes of St. Louis or Pittsburgh, regardless of the criteria.

Simply put, there was no place on Earth in 2015 quite like South Broad Street, where the Phillies, Eagles, Flyers and 76ers combined to lose 224 times in 365 miserable days.

MO-AA099_WSA18_NS_20160101191651.jpg
ENLARGE
Philadelphians can blame the 76ers’ low-cost, low-reward strategy, but the Eagles spent big in the off-season, inking running back DeMarco Murray to a $45 million deal. Owner Jeffrey Lurie may have tossed another $13 million down the drain on Tuesday, when he fired head coach Chip Kelly.

The air of failure radiating from Philadelphia actually affected other cities in 2015.

The Phillies’ one contribution to the baseball season was the trade that sent second baseman Chase Utley to the playoff-bound Los Angeles Dodgers. That deal didn’t end well for the Dodgers, who were defeated in the NLDS, nor for the Mets, who lost shortstop Rubén Tejada when Utley broke his right leg in Game 2 of that series.

And is it any coincidence that the 3-12 Cleveland Browns are coached by Mike Pettine, who hails from the Philadelphia suburb of Doylestown, Pa.?

Former Eagles coach Chip Kelly didn’t do much to help Philadelphia get out of last place on our list. Photo: Associated Press
Philadelphia certainly made 2015 easier for New Yorkers, who are finding it harder to compete with their rivals to the Northeast, New Englanders. Boston finished eighth of the 21 qualifying cities in our rankings, buoyed by the Patriots (12-3) and Bruins (42-24-14), but stung by the Red Sox (78-84).

As for the other major cities, Chicago got great seasons from the Cubs (97-65) and Blackhawks (45-31-8), but was dragged into seventh place by the White Sox (76-86) and Bears (6-9). Los Angeles enjoyed plenty of wins with the Angels (85-77) and Clippers (55-28), but got stuck in 10th place thanks to the 17-66 Lakers.

As for New York, we could be in for a better year in 2016 given the Giants’ copious salary-cap space, the development of Knicks rookie Kristaps Porzingis, and the likelihood that the Islanders, Rangers and Devils will all make the Stanley Cup playoffs. Maybe the Nets can even turn the page on their 9-23 start.
Come on man. Did you read the article? St louis teams as a whole have the highest average winning percentage. That's all it really says.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Come on man. Did you read the article? St louis teams as a whole have the highest average winning percentage. That's all it really says.

True, but how many Stanley Cups have the Blues won? Seriously, they play great hockey during the regular season, but come playoff time they are like a John Deer tractor, they come with an automatic choke.

The St. Louis Cardinals are a different story, they win consistently and have the most World Series besides the evil empire in New York.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
True, but how many Stanley Cups have the Blues won? Seriously, they play great hockey during the regular season, but come playoff time they are like a John Deer tractor, they come with an automatic choke.

The St. Louis Cardinals are a different story, they win consistently and have the most World Series besides the evil empire in New York.
And the price of tea in China is affected by this how?:confused:

beej

Rookie
I love the smell of "rotting hubris". And I'm a patient man. Now I think I'm just gonna sit back and wait.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And I suppose you think THAT is helpful.:mad::D

Go Kings!

Well, how about this...Dodger fan and the St. Louis Cardinals have been a far more successful franchise, with the exception of Enos Slaughter taking a cheap shot and spiking Jackie Robinson, but that was far before out time.;)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just adding something. But how long before they move again? Is LA permanent? When Stan dies, will the next owner try to move them back to STL? What if Stan overestimated the LA market and only 20,000 fans show up to the games? I just feel like there's a possibility this blows up in his face. I wonder what will happen.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just adding something. But how long before they move again? Is LA permanent? When Stan dies, will the next owner try to move them back to STL? What if Stan overestimated the LA market and only 20,000 fans show up to the games? I just feel like there's a possibility this blows up in his face. I wonder what will happen.
There is always that possibility. Probably a little less than there was the possibility that spending $700 million in St Louis with no equity to show for it would have been a risk. But there is always going to be risk on projects of virtually any size. That is why these guys are referred to as risk takers.

See the problem I have here is that while I was not wanting them to move for the fans sake in the Lou, now that they have been cleared to move, I am going to hope for the best outcome for the RAMS - my team for 47 years. Them failing in LA is not a best outcome so I am not going to be nice to that argument just for the sake of placating those that want to see Stan fail for what he did to the city of St Louis.

I understand the ire of the fans there. I just don't buy the script going on there that there is one man responsible for this; he planned it all along; Georgia would have never done it; Khan would have never done it; some other business man would have never done it; the CVC was right to not keep to the top tier provision; on and on.