Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
To me, Jackson was a MUCH better prospect- especially between the ears(not talking about maturity). Also, he was taken at the end of the 2nd. There's a difference. Jackson also performed better in college.

Quick's stats at the end of his 2nd year are better than Jackson's at the end of his 2nd year.

V3

Hall of Fame
My problem with a lot of the talk on Quick is much like the knocks on Sam. Isolate Quick and you will see a very willing and good blocker. You will also see that he DOES go after and catch balls either by out jumping the defender or simply catching the ball with the defender on him. I think people like to use a few passes to say who Quick is and can be. Yeah - I get it. He didn't make the best effort on that one long pass down the sideline and he failed to make the hot read on another and Sam drilled it into his back. I also get that he didn't light it up like Alshon. But just because he didn't start like a house on fire, doesn't mean he never will be a very good receiver.

He and Bradford were starting to click when Bradford went down. I'm not saying he was lighting it up but you could see the progression. Watch the tape with he and KC. The guy would break open quite a bit and Kellen wouldn't even look at him. I think I would really put that more on KC's inability to be accurate past 10 yards or so. And most of BQ's routes are beyond that mark. But even though the kid was getting virtually no targets, he still got out there and balled. I believe he had more snaps than any other receiver on the team too. Do you do that because the guy isn't doing what is asked of him?

So now we're supposed to take another WR high in the draft. If as you say V3, they missed on Quick, why do you feel so confident that they would hit the mark on another WR THIS year? For every Calvin Johnson there's a Charles Rogers. The Whiners took AJJ ahead of Quick and the next receiver taken was Hill. Which would you rather have? Sure there were WRs taken later that panned out better. Isn't that always the case? Who was throwing to them and who was lined up opposite of them?

I just see greater needs and also see BQ as poised to get much more attention from Sam this season. I guess we'll see.

IMO, the reason KC didn't even look his way was because he didn't trust him. Bradford didn't seem to trust him either. I wasn't seeing any clicking going on right before Bradford went down. I saw slight improvement from Quick. That's it.

With regards to taking a WR this draft, I'm not sure how much I trust this regime to take one. I think the Rams do better with the later rounds than the top two. In 2012, I wanted the Rams to take Cordy Glenn with the Quick pick. I still think that would have been the better choice. I'm not claiming to be a better drafter but I do get extremely frustrated when the players I like turn out to be better than the ones the Rams chose.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the reason KC didn't even look his way was because he didn't trust him. Bradford didn't seem to trust him either. I wasn't seeing any clicking going on right before Bradford went down. I saw slight improvement from Quick. That's it.

With regards to taking a WR this draft, I'm not sure how much I trust this regime to take one. I think the Rams do better with the later rounds than the top two. In 2012, I wanted the Rams to take Cordy Glenn with the Quick pick. I still think that would have been the better choice. I'm not claiming to be a better drafter but I do get extremely frustrated when the players I like turn out to be better than the ones the Rams chose.

yeah, i have to say i was puzzled when they didn't take glenn at that spot. it was the perfect case of value meeting need. hopefully quick pans out and makes us forget all about it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Just look at how shitty Dez Bryant was the first 3 years in the league. You possibly cannot write Quick off yet.

Where did I say I'm writing him off? All I'm saying is I don't believe he'll be a #1 like Snead claimed he'd be. I even said he'd play a role on the team. I just feel he was horrible value for where he was taken and the team is still missing that big, #1 WR.

V3

Hall of Fame
yeah, i have to say i was puzzled when they didn't take glenn at that spot. it was the perfect case of value meeting need. hopefully quick pans out and makes us forget all about it.

Agreed. I will be glad if I'm wrong on Quick. I care more about team pride than personal pride.

jjab360

Legend
Quick's stats at the end of his 2nd year are better than Jackson's at the end of his 2nd year.
Not really. Quick had 18 receptions for 302 yards and 2 TDs, VJ had 27 rec for 453 yards and 6 TDs. The 6 TDs really stand out, imo.

Anyway, the statistics may be close, but that doesn't mean much to me. Quick is an eyesore for me on the field, just not much physicality to his game for someone who's size would suggest otherwise. When you combine that with rookie mistakes and a bad case of butterfingers, there's really just not much there for me to bet on. If he ever became half the receiver VJ has, I would be absolutely flabbergasted.

jjab360

Legend
Agreed. I will be glad if I'm wrong on Quick. I care more about team pride than personal pride.
Oh definitely, I'd love to be wrong about this one. I just have a really bad feeling that I'm not.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Not really. Quick had 18 receptions for 302 yards and 2 TDs, VJ had 27 rec for 453 yards and 6 TDs. The 6 TDs really stand out, imo.

Anyway, the statistics may be close, but that doesn't mean much to me. Quick is an eyesore for me on the field, just not much physicality to his game for someone who's size would suggest otherwise. When you combine that with rookie mistakes and a bad case of butterfingers, there's really just not much there for me to bet on. If he ever became half the receiver VJ has, I would be absolutely flabbergasted.

Their progression seems to be parallel. And you have to consider that KC was the QB for over half the year too.

Glad you pointed out the stats though. My memory slips in the short term for some reason at times.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I tend to have ALOT more patience with younger players with upside who,at the very least,work hard and have proven durability. Quick fits the bill. IMO he's made some progress and he's always ready to play every week. I do think this is a big year for him though. Third year as a pro,third year in same system,third year with Sam etc...

Guys like Danario Alexander and Donnie Avery however,i was done with long before the rest of Rams nation were. DX worked hard(i don't know about Avery)...but for me as a fan i have no patience waiting for uber-talented pro football players who cant stay on the field.

A55VA6

Legend
When Les Snead compares him nonstop to Vincent Jackson, I expect him to become a Vincent Jackson type player. If he doesn't keep progressing, he's out after 2015 imo.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He will be better than vj. he will make his own name thank you.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If what I believe he'll be turns out to be what they wanted from the first pick in the 2nd round, then they don't know what they're doing in the draft.
And we believe that because of the way the other picks have worked out??

If Quick had gotten the same number of opportunities that Stacy got this year do you think he would have produced more? If Clemens had been able to get him the ball all of those times he was open would his numbers look better? Why is being the second rounds first pick so significant? They knew they would not be relevant for 3 years and that would give him time to develop.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
If we had vj or blackman with lemons i mean clemens throwing them the ball. they would have a down year wouldnt they? quick did good considering.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I do think Quick showed improvement, and think he would have been even better with Sam, but I think Clemens played better than could have been expected as well. We knew he was a backup and that is for a reason. But I think he is a great teammate and competitor and represented himself and our team well. Honestly, how many teams are going to do much better if their #1 QB goes out?

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
I do think Quick showed improvement, and think he would have been even better with Sam, but I think Clemens played better than could have been expected as well. We knew he was a backup and that is for a reason. But I think he is a great teammate and competitor and represented himself and our team well. Honestly, how many teams are going to do much better if their #1 QB goes out?
The redskins

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
Bears

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
I give clemens one thing he has alot of heart.

V3

Hall of Fame
And we believe that because of the way the other picks have worked out??

If Quick had gotten the same number of opportunities that Stacy got this year do you think he would have produced more? If Clemens had been able to get him the ball all of those times he was open would his numbers look better? Why is being the second rounds first pick so significant? They knew they would not be relevant for 3 years and that would give him time to develop.

I'm not sure you understood what I said; that, or I don't get what you're saying. If Quick turns out to be a role player that gets around 600 yards or so each year, and the Rams still maintained that that's what they were expecting from him, then I'd argue they don't know what they're doing. If they honestly believed that getting mediocre production is good return for where Quick was taken, then I would lose all faith in them drafting a WR.

And your scenarios require a lot of "ifs". There's a reason they are "ifs". Stacey was clearly the best player at his position so he warranted the playing time. I'd be willing to bet Clemens(and Bradford, for that matter) didn't look Quick's way much because he didn't trust him.

And the reason his draft position is so significant is that when you miss on your top picks, it sets your franchise back. You can't miss on picks in the top two rounds- not in our division. Also, there are so many other players that I would have taken over him at the time(and I'm not just playing 20/20 hindsight) that are already helping their respective teams a great deal more than I believe Quick ever will. I already gave the Cordy Glenn example(whom I wanted at the time). He could be playing LT, RT, or even OG. The board seems to be in agreement that our O-line is one of our biggest weaknesses. Well, if the Rams had taken him, they could be looking at Watkins at #2 or Evans at #13 and not be as concerned about the O-line. If the Rams keep missing on their second round picks, they aren't going to win a Super Bowl unless they beat the averages in a major way by compensating with absolutely stellar picks later in the draft. Those don't happen much, though, which is why I don't count on them.