Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
Is 2014-2015 a make or break year for him. Sure he didnt light it up in 2013 but how much better would he have looked with sam for the whole year. He doubled his stats from the year before without sam for the whole year. I might be the minority but i think we might have enough wr if we add a vet in free agencey to excel next year without drafting a wr.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't think we even need a veteran WR at this point I think the most important thing for this group moving forward is repetitions with Sam and time in the playbook. They showed they had plenty to win games both with and without Sam last year, now they they need to build the rapport it takes to made the reads together and execute.

V3

Hall of Fame
I personally don't think Quick will ever be what they want him to. He may be serviceable and have niche roles but he won't be dominant at all and he'll never be a #1 or anything near it. If you can't catch the ball with hands in your face or learn to use your size, it's going to be a problem. Add in the issues he has with the mental side of the game and it creates even more doubts for me.

The problem with not taking a big WR this year is that if Quick doesn't pan out, that just means the Rams are going to have to wait an additional 2 years or so AFTER they finally take Quick's replacement. So we'd have to wait another 3 years or so (assuming they take one next year)for the chance at a big WR(which we NEED in this division) to realistically start making a difference on this team. We don't have that kind of time.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This kid hasnt even came close to what he could. Hes coming into his thrid year. You have to ask yourself with a improved running game and a starting calibar qb for the whole year. what his receiving stats would have been in just his secound year. look his stats doubled even with clemens. Lets face it with clemens often he produced lemons for passes he couldnt throw beyoned 20 yards accurately and sometimes 15 yards. This kid quick is about to breakout

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I personally don't think Quick will ever be what they want him to. He may be serviceable and have niche roles but he won't be dominant at all and he'll never be a #1 or anything near it. If you can't catch the ball with hands in your face or learn to use your size, it's going to be a problem. Add in the issues he has with the mental side of the game and it creates even more doubts for me.

The problem with not taking a big WR this year is that if Quick doesn't pan out, that just means the Rams are going to have to wait an additional 2 years or so AFTER they finally take Quick's replacement. So we'd have to wait another 3 years or so (assuming they take one next year)for the chance at a big WR(which we NEED in this division) to realistically start making a difference on this team. We don't have that kind of time.

My question to you, is he not what THEY want him to be, or what most FANS expect him to be?

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
My answer is we really dont kno do to the lack of running the bal early and clemens being the starter for the majority of the year. think about it do you think some of the elite wr in the league wouldnt. struggle with clemens being the qb .im not calling quick elite but we do kno that he doubled his stats even with lemons i mean clemens throwing to him for most of the year. Its looking up for this kid.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
Opps lol sorru coach thought you were talkung to me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Opps lol sorru coach thought you were talkung to me.

No worries. I am one of Quick's biggest supporters. I have seen too much athletic ability to write him off. Be it in training camp, or how he was becoming a much bigger part of the gameplan, (Carolina game stands out to me) before Bradford went down.

I am one who feels he is on the cusp of becoming a legitimate STARTER at this level, and with opportunities moving forward he will deliver.

For me anyway, I think the thing about him, once again, his because of where he was drafted, way too much is expected of him. I have never been one to put alot of stock in draft status. It's a game of poker in many ways, they identify a player, and they take him to ensure they get that guy. Many times they "reach" and take said player sooner than they would like, but they are playing the odds that someone else will take them before they get back around.

Way too much is put on "slotting" guys by all the so called draft experts, and placing certain value on them based on THEIR PROJECTIONS. Brian Quick, to me, is one of those players. The Rams obviously liked him enough to go get him. I just don't see the big deal whether they picked him at 33, vs. waiting till say, pick #50 where they ended up taking Pead. Bottom line, they took a guy thy wanted to take.

V3

Hall of Fame
My question to you, is he not what THEY want him to be, or what most FANS expect him to be?

If what I believe he'll be turns out to be what they wanted from the first pick in the 2nd round, then they don't know what they're doing in the draft.

V3

Hall of Fame
No worries. I am one of Quick's biggest supporters. I have seen too much athletic ability to write him off. Be it in training camp, or how he was becoming a much bigger part of the gameplan, (Carolina game stands out to me) before Bradford went down.

I am one who feels he is on the cusp of becoming a legitimate STARTER at this level, and with opportunities moving forward he will deliver.

For me anyway, I think the thing about him, once again, his because of where he was drafted, way too much is expected of him. I have never been one to put alot of stock in draft status. It's a game of poker in many ways, they identify a player, and they take him to ensure they get that guy. Many times they "reach" and take said player sooner than they would like, but they are playing the odds that someone else will take them before they get back around.

Way too much is put on "slotting" guys by all the so called draft experts, and placing certain value on them based on THEIR PROJECTIONS. Brian Quick, to me, is one of those players. The Rams obviously liked him enough to go get him. I just don't see the big deal whether they picked him at 33, vs. waiting till say, pick #50 where they ended up taking Pead. Bottom line, they took a guy thy wanted to take.

You're supposed to take the best player you can get when your pick comes up. You have to make sure he'll fit your system and won't cause issues off the field but assuming those criteria are filled, you take the player that will provide the best performance. If there are other players that perform MUCH better than Quick that are taken AFTER he was, then the Rams made a mistake. That's what people are seeing and are concerned about. He was HORRIBLE value. They could have taken someone much better with the pick or taken someone just as good much later in the draft. The Rams can't miss on picks if they want to compete in this division. They were too far behind to be missing premium picks like that. Too much wasn't expected of him. If you're a premium pick, you'd better perform or it'll set the franchise back.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If what I believe he'll be turns out to be what they wanted from the first pick in the 2nd round, then they don't know what they're doing in the draft.

in the game against the panthers, the last with sam at qb, he could have had the stat line of 200 yards receiving and 2 tds. unfortunately sam's arm was tipped on the first play from scrimmage which would have been an 80 yard td to quick and quick dropped a 30 yard td throw. are those the kind of numbers you expect?

i'm in the camp that thinks players improve over time. quick is getting there.

V3

Hall of Fame
in the game against the panthers, the last with sam at qb, he could have had the stat line of 200 yards receiving and 2 tds. unfortunately sam's arm was tipped on the first play from scrimmage which would have been an 80 yard td to quick and quick dropped a 30 yard td throw. are those the kind of numbers you expect?

i'm in the camp that thinks players improve over time. quick is getting there.

Those are some mighty big assumptions you make there. Would the ball have been there? Would Quick have even caught it? He dropped the other one you reference, which isn't anything new for him. He'll improve, which is why I said in my original post that he'll get to a point where he'll be able to contribute but it won't be worth where he was taken. Just my opinion, though. Time will tell. I didn't see him advance nearly as much as some of the rest of you claim, though. Not with balls hitting him in the head, continued issues dropping the ball, not using his body/size, running wrong routes, etc. I'm not saying cut him but I don't have much faith that he'll be what Snead sold him as being.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Those are some mighty big assumptions you make there. Would the ball have been there? Would Quick have even caught it? He dropped the other one you reference, which isn't anything new for him. He'll improve, which is why I said in my original post that he'll get to a point where he'll be able to contribute but it won't be worth where he was taken. Just my opinion, though. Time will tell. I didn't see him advance nearly as much as some of the rest of you claim, though. Not with balls hitting him in the head, continued issues dropping the ball, not using his body/size, running wrong routes, etc. I'm not saying cut him but I don't have much faith that he'll be what Snead sold him as being.

Just look at how shitty Dez Bryant was the first 3 years in the league. You possibly cannot write Quick off yet.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Would you feel the same if it was Vincent Jackson cuz the kid came from a D2 school with no WR coach and you expect instant success when Jackson took 3-4 seasons to be the player he is?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He really flashed at times in camp last year. I'm hoping he really puts it together this season.

I gotta tell you...if the Rams pass on Watkins based on what they think (and I do to) Quick will be it better pan out.

ontilllit

UDFA
Name
ontilllit
What do you ecspect from a second rounder in his second year with out his starting qb 1000 yards? he doubled his production from his first year. If sam didmt go down he could had 500-600 yards if not more. he has been using his body more

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think the rams are gonna roll with what they have at wr this season and see how it pans out. they want to be a run first team and use play action for big plays. to my eyes quick was open on the intermediate routes and sam should be able to deliver the ball to him. we will have a much better idea of who quick is in the upcoming season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My problem with a lot of the talk on Quick is much like the knocks on Sam. Isolate Quick and you will see a very willing and good blocker. You will also see that he DOES go after and catch balls either by out jumping the defender or simply catching the ball with the defender on him. I think people like to use a few passes to say who Quick is and can be. Yeah - I get it. He didn't make the best effort on that one long pass down the sideline and he failed to make the hot read on another and Sam drilled it into his back. I also get that he didn't light it up like Alshon. But just because he didn't start like a house on fire, doesn't mean he never will be a very good receiver.

He and Bradford were starting to click when Bradford went down. I'm not saying he was lighting it up but you could see the progression. Watch the tape with he and KC. The guy would break open quite a bit and Kellen wouldn't even look at him. I think I would really put that more on KC's inability to be accurate past 10 yards or so. And most of BQ's routes are beyond that mark. But even though the kid was getting virtually no targets, he still got out there and balled. I believe he had more snaps than any other receiver on the team too. Do you do that because the guy isn't doing what is asked of him?

So now we're supposed to take another WR high in the draft. If as you say V3, they missed on Quick, why do you feel so confident that they would hit the mark on another WR THIS year? For every Calvin Johnson there's a Charles Rogers. The Whiners took AJJ ahead of Quick and the next receiver taken was Hill. Which would you rather have? Sure there were WRs taken later that panned out better. Isn't that always the case? Who was throwing to them and who was lined up opposite of them?

I just see greater needs and also see BQ as poised to get much more attention from Sam this season. I guess we'll see.

V3

Hall of Fame
Would you feel the same if it was Vincent Jackson cuz the kid came from a D2 school with no WR coach and you expect instant success when Jackson took 3-4 seasons to be the player he is?

To me, Jackson was a MUCH better prospect- especially between the ears(not talking about maturity). Also, he was taken at the end of the 2nd. There's a difference. Jackson also performed better in college.

I also didn't expect instant success. I do, however, expect more from the 2nd WR taken in the whole draft, taken at the top of the 2nd round, in his second year. I'm not saying I expected over 1000 yards but I expected a lot more catches, less painful drops, and a better understanding of what the heck is going on out there.

Last edited: