QB Carousel Could Be Crazy This Year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
It's the only decision they could make.
I'm not a fan of Fields, but they have so many needs, they have a real opportunity to gain some draft capital and build around him.
Doesnt hurt that there isnt a consensus #1, franchise QB in the draft either. If Caleb Williams had been draft eligible, would be a different story
The Alabama QB is probably the closest thing to a #1 Franchise QB in this draft.

CJ Stroud - pfft - going to be a mediocre QB

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's the only decision they could make.
I'm not a fan of Fields, but they have so many needs, they have a real opportunity to gain some draft capital and build around him.
Doesnt hurt that there isnt a consensus #1, franchise QB in the draft either. If Caleb Williams had been draft eligible, would be a different story

I would take a REAL hard look at the top QB's before deciding on Justin Fields.

He looks to be a dangerous running QB, but I'm not sold on him as a passer. If you have a shot at the top QB on the board, you REALLY NEED TO CONSIDER IT.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Alabama QB is probably the closest thing to a #1 Franchise QB in this draft.

CJ Stroud - pfft - going to be a mediocre QB
I agree that Young is the better QB and prospect, and I didnt even think it was debatable. But it appears that some actually prefer Stroud, although it could always just be wordspeak to generate conversation.
Either way, I dont think either are any more of a franchise QB prospect than Fields at this point. Just my .02 of course. I look at the last 20 years and the only guys I looked at as "cant miss" guys, (Caleb Williams likely joins this list)
Lawrence, Burrow, Luck, Stafford & Carson Palmer

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would take a REAL hard look at the top QB's before deciding on Justin Fields.

He looks to be a dangerous running QB, but I'm not sold on him as a passer. If you have a shot at the top QB on the board, you REALLY NEED TO CONSIDER IT.
I'm no fan of Fields, but I dont see Stroud being any better. Fancy big numbers in that OSU system, with all that WR talent, looking at the recent OSU Qb's who didnt amount to much in the NFL, I cant see where Stroud has something extra they dont have.
Conversely, you can say the exact same things about Young, although I would give him the nod as I dont think he's played on as good of a team as did Jones, Tua or Hurts

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would be very worried about his height. If you can't see over the OL in the NFL that's a really tough thing to get past. Defenses know how to stack themselves against specific weaknesses at this level.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I would be very worried about his height. If you can't see over the OL in the NFL that's a really tough thing to get past. Defenses know how to stack themselves against specific weaknesses at this level.
And he’s got the same frame as Tutu… a recipe for time on IR

Tano

Legend
How tall is he? I never checked.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How tall is he? I never checked.
No idea so gonna wait for weigh-in day at the combine but I figure he's gonna disappoint in the height department. If not then yeah he'll be the first QB.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Let's say there are 14 openings. 3 spots taken by 1st rounders and that's it imo.

Then there's maybe Rodgers but GB would have too much dead cap and what do they really get for him to me they need to stick it out with him.

Then there's Lamar I just don't seeing him going anywhere similar to GB who do they get that's equal or better no one so what's the logic unless a huge package for him occurs unlike GB Baltimore would be smart to get a monster package for him and start over I am not convinced he takes them to the promised land similar to how McVay felt about Goff.

Then you got Carr, Jimmy G, Mayfield (maybe), maybe Tua (doubtful) not much else. No Brady so to me that leaves several teams in a world of hurt. To me it feels similar to HCs reshuffle every couple years the same names a different team. Rest are 2nd tier and not worth a discussion.

I think it could be worse - honestly I would dump D. Jones and NOT pay him what his agent will ask for period. He is not leading the Gmen anywhere. I fear Mac Jones is in the same category. Is Cousins truly the answer? Kyler or Russell not sold on either for completely different reasons.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
One more idea that could really help Chicago. As stated and most would agree I don't see more than 7 real bonafide options for 14 slots. As mentioned previously and it may be worse. With that being said it is definitely a seller's market so why does Chicago see if one those 7+ teams that still need a QB offer a huge package for Fields if it's big enough they take Young and use those picks to help build the team unless they can figure a way to get a big package for Fields and still drop down and pick up more ammo. They definitely are in the driver's seat due to Houston going for 2 pts to win the Indy game.

Poles the GM must max the value or maybe he keeps trading down to aquire several 1sts this and next year so he has a shot a Caleb Williams who will be the best QB to come out since Luck and he's way better than even Luck bonafide superstar. Especially with all that ammo of players draft picks he could reload really quickly and that division in flux.

Tano

Legend
One more idea that could really help Chicago. As stated and most would agree I don't see more than 7 real bonafide options for 14 slots. As mentioned previously and it may be worse. With that being said it is definitely a seller's market so why does Chicago see if one those 7+ teams that still need a QB offer a huge package for Fields if it's big enough they take Young and use those picks to help build the team unless they can figure a way to get a big package for Fields and still drop down and pick up more ammo. They definitely are in the driver's seat due to Houston going for 2 pts to win the Indy game.

Poles the GM must max the value or maybe he keeps trading down to aquire several 1sts this and next year so he has a shot a Caleb Williams who will be the best QB to come out since Luck and he's way better than even Luck bonafide superstar. Especially with all that ammo of players draft picks he could reload really quickly and that division in flux.
Think Goff would be wanted by those 14 teams?

Hides from all the shit thrown my way for possibly turning this thread into a Goff thread

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With that being said it is definitely a seller's market so why does Chicago see if one those 7+ teams that still need a QB offer a huge package for Fields if it's big enough they take Young and use those picks to help build the team unless they can figure a way to get a big package for Fields and still drop down and pick up more ammo
Interesting idea. And I dont even think Fields would garner a "huge" package, but what if they were offered say a 2nd and 4th rounder? Im not a fan of Fields and am probably way underestimating his value but still, you get Young and 2 years of rookie contract back, and the extra capital? Not contending WITH Fields this year so why not?
Heck, this seems like a smart play for Baltimore, even with Roman gone they still can have similar offensive concepts

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The NFC West is gonna be interesting. AZ has their quarterback. But he's fragile and probably won't be ready till mid season. Not to mention a head case. Seattle's starting quarterback last year is a free agent. SF's assumed starter has almost no experience. And its widely reported he has plenty of flaws they need to work on. The Rams are the only team who is settled at the quarterback position.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10064163-report-giants-seahawks-dont-want-to-use-franchise-tag-on-daniel-jones-geno-smith

Report: Giants, Seahawks Don't Want to Use Franchise Tag on Daniel Jones, Geno Smith​

The Seattle Seahawks and New York Giants both made the playoffs this season with pending free agents at quarterback in Geno Smith and Daniel Jones, respectively.

Per The Athletic's Jeff Howe on Saturday, both teams want to keep their quarterbacks in the fold but would prefer to do so without using the franchise tag.

Avoiding the franchise tag would certainly benefit the teams. The one-year tender's cap hit for quarterbacks in 2023 is $32.4 million, all of which is guaranteed.

It doesn't sound like there's going to be any drama between Smith and the Seahawks. He told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Friday that things are "looking very good" in their early discussions about an extension.

The vibes between Smith and the Seahawks have been good all season. After their loss to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Wild Card Game, head coach Pete Carroll told reporters "we've got our guy" at quarterback and called him "a big part" of their future.

After spending the previous six seasons in the league as a backup with the New York Jets, New York Giants, Los Angeles Chargers and Seahawks, Smith took over as Seattle's starter following the Russell Wilson trade. He had a terrific 2022 with 4,282 yards, 30 touchdowns and an NFL-best 69.8 completion percentage.

Giants head coach Brian Daboll wasn't as forthcoming about Jones' future following the team's playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

"All these conversations, we're going to have those. We have a long offseason," Daboll told reporters. "There is a time and place to have all those conversations and tonight's not it."

General manager Joe Schoen told reporters at the Senior Bowl this week they haven't begun discussions with Jones' representatives, but they want to have him back next season.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan projected an extension of four years, $152 million ($80 million guaranteed) for Jones.

There are reasons for the Giants to play their cards close to his chest. Jones, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft, looked like a bust after his first three seasons and didn't have the fifth-year option on his rookie deal picked up.

In his first season playing with Daboll, Jones set career highs in completion percentage (67.2), passing yards (3,205), rushing yards (708) and rushing touchdowns (seven). He accounted for 379 yards and two touchdowns in the Giants' 31-24 win over the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Wild Card Game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ESPN's Jordan Raanan projected an extension of four years, $152 million ($80 million guaranteed) for Jones.
Just cant be. On an open market, who is paying anywhere near that? Nobody.
He made 22 mill in '22, so with a "healthy raise" to 26-28 mill aav would seem extreme but fair, as a Giant.
On an Open market? Is he worth more than a Baker Mayfield? Darnold? Wentz? Carr? Tannehill?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you're not sure about a QB a franchise tag is a hell of a lot better than paying him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Giants are in a tough spot with Jones.

Playing him under the tag might be the way to go… see if he can duplicate his 2022.