Professional Boxing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There really is no benefit to a champ fighting him. The scenario would have to be he fights and beats the top four contenders. After that the money would have to be right. But even then.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ali gets most of the praise. And maybe he should. Louis was probably the better over all fighter. Just my opinion. But the one know one ever talks about is Rocky Marciano. Kinda like the 72 Dolphins. Everyone just goes oh yeah forgot about him.
I never did, but I am pretty sure he wasn't as good as Ali. As for Joe Louis being better than Ali? I don't think so. If memory serves, Ali had the fastest jab in the history of the heavyweight division...and it hurt when he used it.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never did, but I am pretty sure he wasn't as good as Ali. As for Joe Louis being better than Ali? I don't think so. If memory serves, Ali had the fastest jab in the history of the heavyweight division...and it hurt when he used it.
I will most respectfully disagree.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joe Louis got lucky ~ James Braddock

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember when I got furloughed from Greyhound, I used my month or so to relax and take a trip to St Thomas/Virgin Islands. I was in a taxi cab with a driver who I surprised by knowing a hometown hero, Emile Griffith. Griffith was a 5-Time Champion in few divisions and finished in the Middleweight division. I never saw him live, but I'm a history guy and so I had read about his career.
His rematch title fight versus Benny Paret in 1962 at Madison Square Garden, led to Paret's death 10 days after the fight. Reportedly, Griffith was a bisexual man who Paret infuriated by touching Emile's ass and making homosexual slurs during the fight.

Anyway, Emile Griffith was a great fighter that few know about.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marciano is always the elephant in the room in any talk of the greatest Heavyweight. And it drives experts crazy. Most want to crown Ali. But there is Louis, Johnson even Tyson. (and several I have missed.) But Marciano fought all comers and was undefeated. Hard to dismiss.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marciano is always the elephant in the room in any talk of the greatest Heavyweight. And it drives experts crazy. Most want to crown Ali. But there is Louis, Johnson even Tyson. (and several I have missed.) But Marciano fought all comers and was undefeated. Hard to dismiss.
True. An undefeated fighter will always deserve respect, but was his competition as stiff as in Ali's era? I don't think Marciano in his prime could survive in the early 70's, undefeated. The same for Joe Louis, but that one is harder.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. An undefeated fighter will always deserve respect, but was his competition as stiff as in Ali's era? I don't think Marciano in his prime could survive in the early 70's, undefeated. The same for Joe Louis, but that one is harder.
Maybe. My opinion and thats all it could ever be is. Prime on prime Rocky would have beaten Ali. Much like Frazier, Rocky was all wrong for Ali. To win Ali would have to take Rocky into the later rounds and pray he got winded. I don't think that would happen.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe. My opinion and thats all it could ever be is. Prime on prime Rocky would have beaten Ali. Much like Frazier, Rocky was all wrong for Ali. To win Ali would have to take Rocky into the later rounds and pray he got winded. I don't think that would happen.
Hard to know, but Ali beat Frazier 2 of 3 times. I don't think Marciano would have stood a chance against Ali myself, but it's an unknowable outcome.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hard to know, but Ali beat Frazier 2 of 3 times. I don't think Marciano would have stood a chance against Ali myself, but it's an unknowable outcome.

I tend to agree with Loyal on this ... no disrespect to Marciano. Ali had such a height and reach advantage, and in his prime had a huge speed advantage as well. The best I can see Marciano doing is getting inside and maybe eking out 15 round decision like Frazier did in his first fight against Ali, but that was just two fights removed from a 3 year layoff. The Ali of '66-'67? No, I just can't see it.

Here's where this thread is about to go ( :D )

View: https://youtu.be/-R1h2Df3Nrc?t=78

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I tend to agree with Loyal on this ... no disrespect to Marciano. Ali had such a height and reach advantage, and in his prime had a huge speed advantage as well. The best I can see Marciano doing is getting inside and maybe eking out 15 round decision like Frazier did in his first fight against Ali, but that was just two fights removed from a 3 year layoff. The Ali of '66-'67? No, I just can't see it.

Here's where this thread is about to go ( :D )

View: https://youtu.be/-R1h2Df3Nrc?t=78

Ohhh shyte! No you dint! ~Ozark
byBWvs3.gif

Last edited:

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sadly we will never know. And that's probably for the best. Cuz then I would have to listen to you guys whining about the lucky punch that knocked Ali out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There really is no benefit to a champ fighting him. The scenario would have to be he fights and beats the top four contenders. After that the money would have to be right. But even then.
True that.
Take for instance George Foreman. When he came after his retirement, he won 24 straight fights before facing, and losing to Evander Holyfield for the title. There's no upside for Fury to face a guy who hasnt earned a shot
(Now it was ridiculous that Old George got the title shot against Moorer, but that's a different story)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True that.
Take for instance George Foreman. When he came after his retirement, he won 24 straight fights before facing, and losing to Evander Holyfield for the title. There's no upside for Fury to face a guy who hasnt earned a shot
(Now it was ridiculous that Old George got the title shot against Moorer, but that's a different story)
All these young punks walkin' around scared of an old man. It's ok, we'll play patty-cake, Tyson Fury ~ Iron Mike

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwb08rorMg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope to direct this thread to more recent fighting talent in the heavyweight division. We've looked at Deonte Wilder and Tyson Fury, former Champion and current Champion, but I also want to look at contenders. The guy is undefeated and young and is a British boxer named David "Dynamite" DuBois. This video may be a little in front of itself, but the dude really lays the lumber. He is undefeated and has knocked out every fighter he has faced, save one (won the decision). He needs to fight better competition, but those opportunities will come with more wins. He trains in the same gym that Frank Bruno and Lenox Lewis trained. Give it watch.!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_3UUJpjEBQ

fearsomefour

Legend
He would have to fight a couple warm up fights and beat one contender and then the money would be so huge he’d likely get his shot.

fearsomefour

Legend
True that.
Money, money.
Foreman was still a contender at that point but hadn’t fought in a long time and was coming off a loss.
Not the first time a guy coming off a loss got a title shot.
Bit, as unusual, it was all about the money.
If Tyson is serious about it (I don’t think he is) he would only have to string together a couple of wins to get a shot at a title or a big name.
$$