PREGAME Pregame Thread - Lions at Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Any QBs in this year's draft even considered a 1st pick of the draft? I really haven't heard of any.

Like I said in another post - I would trade down/accumulate extra picks (including maybe a 1st in 2023) - keep Goff for another year

See where it goes if he gets any semblance of receivers/healthy OL next year and maybe a decent running back

Right now - I would just throw this year out because the rest of the team is absolutely horrible/injured
I have not looked at any QBs this year nor have I watched a lot of college ball. But they are going to want their guy they scout who has the stuff they're looking for. And they're going to want a guy under that first contract behind what should be a pretty good line. So barring a situation where they dislike the QB options I would think they take one this offseason.

What you suggest sounds good but it depends on how that board stacks. If I'm Brad what I'd do is position to get the QB I want from that class, and then use the rest of my resources to add a wideout and load the defense. You're not gonna win all that much with a rook QB but if the pieces around him are good then it's fine to allow him to learn on the job like the Pats are doing with Jones in New England or like the Bengals did with Burrow. Goal would be incremental improvement with a young roster reload.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Mcvay from the day he got to the Rams said things like 'communication is at a premium' and "Where communication lacks negativity fills".

There is no doubt in my mind that the communication between Goff and Mcvay slowly detoriated and with that their entire relationship did.

Goff obviously reached a plateau and Mcvay became very frustrated with that situation.

I bet Goff and Mcvay and Stafford are excited for this particular week of football to be through with.

Tano

Legend
I have not looked at any QBs this year nor have I watched a lot of college ball. But they are going to want their guy they scout who has the stuff they're looking for. And they're going to want a guy under that first contract behind what should be a pretty good line. So barring a situation where they dislike the QB options I would think they take one this offseason.

What you suggest sounds good but it depends on how that board stacks. If I'm Brad what I'd do is position to get the QB I want from that class, and then use the rest of my resources to add a wideout and load the defense. You're not gonna win all that much with a rook QB but if the pieces around him are good then it's fine to allow him to learn on the job like the Pats are doing with Jones in New England or like the Bengals did with Burrow. Goal would be incremental improvement with a young roster reload.
The QB in college that I would keep an eye on in 2022 & 2023 who won't come out until 2024 is the Freshman USC back-up QB.

When he came in against Washington State, I went holy crap.

He has an arm like Josh Allen and is accurate as well. He also has some mobility.

That guy looks to be the next big name coming out of college.

Right now he is backing up Slovis but I bet by the end of the year, he will be starting.

Slovis is a JAG. Decent for college but nothing to go wow about.

I know a lot of USC fans want the other guy to be starting.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
This take seems to suggests that the Rams were somehow guaranteed to win a Super Bowl with Goff at QB had they not made the trade.

It seems to totally disregard that teams and circumstances change every year and the potential improvement of said competition.

It also overvalues 1st round selections which will probably be at the bottom of the round (where the the success rate hasn't been very high), and seems to assume that their future use would be guaranteed to be successful.

Finally, there seems to be little to no thought regarding a benefit on the Rams side of the trade in the organization getting out of a bad contact (Goff).
The trade is successful now. The team is way more fun to watch. It seems some on this board only care about bottom line. To me that is a narrow point of view. The journey is important too.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The trade is successful now. The team is way more fun to watch. It seems some on this board only care about bottom line. To me that is a narrow point of view. The journey is important too.
4815275.jpg

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Was listening to 11 personnel and they were speculating whether Holmes or the Lions did the Rams or Stafford a favor in this trade.. and discussed the Carolina offer and how it was better. But they also talked about why the Lions may not have wanted that high pick this year, because Holmes had to completely revamp their scouting, etc.

My take.. with the added value they'll get for their own first rounder next year with each additional loss that Goff leads them to, it'll end up being the far better trade.

Couldn't resist.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Some of that is true, but I don't think anyone can argue that he made Blythe look worse while one can easily argue that the reverse is true. The fact that the Rams let Blythe walk with no sure replacement at the time speaks volumes. And nobody anywhere on the spectrum of the QB debate can say they would be happy going into this season with Stafford taking snaps from Blythe. Goff wasn't good most of the time last year, but he sure as hell got absolutely no help at all from so what does that tell you.
Some of that is true, but I don't think anyone can argue that he made Blythe look worse while one can easily argue that the reverse is true. The fact that the Rams let Blythe walk with no sure replacement at the time speaks volumes. And nobody anywhere on the spectrum of the QB debate can say they would be happy going into this season with Stafford taking snaps from Blythe. Goff wasn't good most of the time last year, but he sure as hell got absolutely no help at all from the center position.
The Rams let Blythe go because his contract was up and there was no cost to the team. In Goff’s case they traded half the farm to get rid of him. If that doesn’t tell you who McVay thought was the bigger anchor on the team than I don’t know what to tell you.