GAME DAY Pre-Season Game 2 - Raiders & Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I don't think that pick was the Rams getting too cute. I think him being the pick was a result of laser focus on finding a backup QB who can handle the job as a rookie. They weren't looking for a QB of the future. Should they have been? Probably. But it's understandable in an offseason like this.

What matters for us now is Bennett cleaning things up and settling into that backup job. And from there hopefully we don't need him year one.
That makes a lot of sense to me. They were looking at finding a guy that could step-in right now as opposed to a guy that could be a starter at some point. What better than a 26 yr old rookie who won titles?

To me that is getting cute or at least being too narrow minded or blinded a bit by being too focused on just finding a back up without realizing there is a potential to get something more than that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
That makes a lot of sense to me. They were looking at finding a guy that could step-in right now as opposed to a guy that could be a starter at some point. What better than a 26 yr old rookie who won titles?

To me that is getting cute or at least being too narrow minded or blinded a bit by being too focused on just finding a back up without realizing there is a potential to get something more than that.

It's also Wolford-induced-PTSD... Bennett has thrown some bad, bad balls but at least he hasn't thrown any hospital balls.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

Wow you really drunk the cool aid. I look forward to watching the Raiders’ 3rd string QB become MVP ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

A backup is what they need, though. I don't think it's too cute to go for what you need. The odds of any QB drafted on Day 3 being a franchise QB are extremely low. (There are currently four Day 3 QBs starting right now and range from Kirk Cousins and Dak Prescott, drafted in 2012 and 2016, to Brock Purdy and Sam Howell, drafted last year.) If they thought Stetson was the right guy to execute this offense as a backup, take him.

I will say that I'm curious to see how Sam Howell does as the starter in Washington. He's a guy I would have really loved a couple years ago when he fell down the board. Think he would have fit this scheme well. But seeing as we took Cobie Durant a few spots ahead of him, I'd rather have Durant right now than Howell, considering our needs.

So we'll see how Stetson does. But I'm not going to criticize the Rams for taking a backup QB on Day 3, as long as he's actually a capable backup.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Brock Purdy wasn't that good in the preseason last year.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
From The Athletic
David Agoha, the Raiders' International Player Pathway Program member from Nigeria, recorded a sack against the Rams in just the second football game he's ever played.

Didn't something similar happen last week?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Wow you really drunk the cool aid. I look forward to watching the Raiders’ 3rd string QB become MVP ;)
Will have to wait and see where they both are in a few yrs and if one team has to burn a high pick or muktiple picks on another QB and if the other found their next QB in rd 4 in this past draft.

The thing is their guy looks better right now as a back up.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A backup is what they need, though. I don't think it's too cute to go for what you need. The odds of any QB drafted on Day 3 being a franchise QB are extremely low. (There are currently four Day 3 QBs starting right now and range from Kirk Cousins and Dak Prescott, drafted in 2012 and 2016, to Brock Purdy and Sam Howell, drafted last year.) If they thought Stetson was the right guy to execute this offense as a backup, take him.

I will say that I'm curious to see how Sam Howell does as the starter in Washington. He's a guy I would have really loved a couple years ago when he fell down the board. Think he would have fit this scheme well. But seeing as we took Cobie Durant a few spots ahead of him, I'd rather have Durant right now than Howell, considering our needs.

So we'll see how Stetson does. But I'm not going to criticize the Rams for taking a backup QB on Day 3, as long as he's actually a capable backup.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that Brock Purdy wasn't that good in the preseason last year.
The Raiders guy looks like a pretty good back up right now.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

And yet they still went out and got Rypien who still might be the back up.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
DeAndre Square looked decent. He had dot and was fast to the ball.

oldnotdead

Legend

They seem laser focused upon sticking to their plan to remodel this team. All they needed was a backup to Stafford for two more years. If they are going to take the next QB1 in the draft it will be next year to give him a full year to acclimate and learn the offense, and develop the timing this offense requires between the QB and WRs. Also without a first round pick this year their options were limited.

The Rams look to be committed to Stafford barring injury for two more years. I think that was the plan when they originally extended him. If he can avoid a catastrophic injury he will have 2 more years to get that second ring and cement his HOF credentials. Getting a QB in the first round gives them control of his contract for 5 years so they can afford a redshirt rookie year. Under that scenario they would have a QB1 for at least 8-10 years of active years. That in turn allows them to continually build the team around him plugging in new assets as needed.

This draft was all about creating a foundational team to build around for the next 8-10 years. This is the team that will allow them to not miss a step when Stafford, AD and Kupp retire as Rams to await their gold jackets. This is a sustainable formula. The next step will be to pick the right QB in next year's draft.

You saw it on the field in preseason and because of that they will go into protect mode this last preseason game. Puka is the next Kupp, and Jefferson is already the new Woods. Higbee's replacement is on the team with Hopkins looking like he's finally ready to emerge and Allen and long not far behind.

The jury is still out on Akers, because it's a matter of his accepting the Rams offer. I think they will extend him but Evans and Williams are their insurance policy if he decides to move on. Jackson and Avila need to build that communication to transform them into the nest Whitworth and Saffold. Allen is the better technician between himself and Shelton. But he may lack durability. The one thing in his favor is how well McAllister has played. They could roll the dice on Allen, allowing Shelton to walk next year simply because they have a solid backup in McAllister. That said IMO Shelton gives them better long term security at the position, again with McAllister as a good backup. But this year I think the Rams keep both Shelton and Allen with Coleman starting at RG if Noteboom can't play.

I think we all agree the key to this offense's success lies with the OL and all of their OL options this year look pretty good. With an OL of Jackson, Avila, Allen, Shelton and Havenstein this will be a left running offense primarily left B gap and left perimeter, just like in 2018. With Puka in the slot it will give them that extra blocker they need which is why I think Nacua will start at Y over Atwell.

On defense it will be Young and Hoecht on the edges with Van Valkenburg in rotation. Edges may not dominate this year but I think they will next year. This will be a learning experience for this defensive front. One change I noted is that they were only playing the mixed two/one gap front on 1st downs. This means they will play Turner and Murchison as their 1T on second and third downs. If they drop the read react BS up front the DL can be good. They also changed it up on passing downs a couple of times playing what looked like double 2T which would put Turner and Murchison inside, move Donald to 5T (DE) opposite Young. That would allow them to play Hoecht at WIL, Valkenburg at SAM with Jones in the middle at MIKE. I would love to see them get creative upfront as they do have the players to do it. Playing that leaves Donald one on one with the LT which he loves, and Young one on one with the RT which he should beat.

This defense can be played in a lot of ways if Morris simply chooses to do so.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
You don't spend a Day 3 pick on your heir apparent to your franchise QB. If you land a future franchise QB on Day 3, you're lucky as hell. You draft backup QBs on Day 3. Be realistic.

Additionally, I'll just point out that it's far easier to look good when you're the third QB off the bench and going against guys who are practice squad players at best in the preseason, rather than the other squad's first and second team players.

And I think we saw exactly that: Bennet had a much rougher time vs the 1rst and 2nd teamers this last game. Things must have seemed a bit faster, including the pocket breaking down.

He’s still playing well enough for me to consider him a developmental backup.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

Yes he did.
But which defense would you rather face in that matchup?
The Rams’ defense looked rough and got pushed around up front.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay? McVay and co. wanted a backup who has good mobility, something O'Connell doesn't have. And again, O'Connell is the third QB for the Raiders. He's not facing first and second team units.
And yet they still went out and got Rypien who still might be the back up.
Rypien is a guy you sign in case Bennett isn't ready to be the backup this year. He's not a guy you sign to be a long-term backup.

Psycho_X

Legend
DeAndre Square looked decent. He had dot and was fast to the ball.
Agreed, it was against the bottom of Raiders roster so who knows but he certainly left a better impression then any other linebacker Saturday. I definitely want to see him get a lot of playing time this last game.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yes he did.
But which defense would you rather face in that matchup?
The Rams’ defense looked rough and got pushed around up front.
He was 15 for 18 against the Niners last week as well.
Screenshot_20230821_120640_Facebook.jpg