(Poll) Who would you start this weekend? The Wolford/Goff Collection Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB are you starting?

• The Wolf

• Perkins

• Bortles

• Hekker the Wrecker

• Case Keenum

• Cam Akers

• Dieter Brock

Results are only viewable after voting.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Wolford starts and the Rams fall behind 21-3 , do you take Wolford out and stick Goff back in ?
If we fall behind Green Bay I don't think we'll recover no matter who is at QB. But to answer that question if the score reflected Wolford playing badly (that is turning the ball over and enabling that kind of score) I would definitely pull him. You should always do that as the head coach in a meltdown type situation.

TexasRam

Legend
To add my extra 2 cents here because why not, it's what we've been doing all year with Goff and why quit now with possibly our final game.

I personally get peoples criticism of Goff this year. I really do. His inconsistent up and downs are maddening. I would not claim he has not made bonehead decisions and rushed throws or failed to read the field at times.

But I think its very realistic to say that its largely unrelated to Goff himself and the effect of a bad Oline. Hear me out. He has Havenstein who is gives up pressures constantly, we have Blythe who is a turnstile most of the time, we have Edwards and Corbett who are mostly average to solid but have times where they fail as well. Edwards mostly overpowered and Corbett mostly missing his assignment. You also have the Miami game which, I know their is disagreement on Goff's role vs Mcvay on the failure to audible, but he had free runners sacking him full speed untouched multiple times.

I believe people fail to realize the importance of trust in an oline. QB's that can't trust an Oline because they are constantly getting pressure from multiple spots get real rushed and jittery. That is exactly what we see with Goff. Even when he has some time or rolls out with some time, he has a hard time making decisions. For the fan it's unnerving. But if you have ever played the QB position you understand. Even when you have time you think you don't and rush things when you shouldn't. It's like if you hit a dog or kid enough times they start to flinch when you raise your hand. I really believe this is hard to understand but its what is happening. Goff is tough and stands in the pocket strong. But taking sacks kills drives and I believe he has a hard time chilling out and trusting. Maybe that's a flaw of his but I would bet money that if you rebuild the center position and possibly RT or the blocking TE spot then you could see a complete reversal with him back to his top 32 player in the NFL self that his peers voted him at.

I don't argue with those that see Wolford as the better start. I personally see Goff's incredible talents as mostly unusable behind this Oline. We almost need a running QB behind this Oline to slow down a pass rush and give them a chance.

I would start with Goff and see if this Oline could block up this average packers pass rush. If not then Wolford might be the only chance. Either way the best scenario for the Rams is to rebuild the Oline in 2021 in order to return to that top offense that scored 30+ back to back years and lead the NFL.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think you people are fucking crazy.

I love and support Goff, I just have the perspective that he's been a bottom third QB this year. The reasons for his struggles are not all on him, however right now in the playoffs McVay has to ensure he's got the best mix of guys on the field and that best mix might not include Jared Goff.

Whether you can handle that as a fan, well, that's up to you.

Where some posters are right now, judging from what I am reading, is that Wolford isn't worthy of putting Goff on the bench. But I think those of you who hold that opinion are wrong. And I think Wolford if he plays will probably prove you wrong.

How could I be so confident of this? McVay. He knows this system can be inclusive of weak armed QBs. He has seen Wolford making quick decisions and reading fast in practice all season long. We have an emerging run game to complement a system QB and the OL is getting healthy at the right time.

McVay has done this before with Cousins who is another shitty armed QB. So for me I'm going to treat this like I would ANY OTHER POSITION and root for the guy who gets the nod. If it's Goff, I am confident he'll rebound in his play. If it's Wolford, I am confident he'll run the gameplan efficiently. It's really that simple dudes. IMO.
Gotta agree with this.

I’ve been a Goff fan for years, and I‘ve always looked at his play with a homer’s rose-colored glasses.

But man, I just re-watched the 1st half of the Seattle game, and there is just NO WAY anyone could say that was a good half from Goff. He rebounded a bit in the second half, I guess, with a couple nice passes sprinkled in, and the easy wide-open TD pass to Woods.

But I’d forgotten just how shaky he was in the first half. First three drives— NOTHING. Just took a sack (not his fault) and started 0 for 4 in passing.

The KEY play was on Goff’s fourth possession, that 40+ yard pass to Kupp. That was a turning point in this game. And I’m sorry, but that was an AWFUL pass, just a wounded duck that was begging to be picked (and yes, I’m sure the thumb affected it). That play was all Kupp. If that had been an INT, the story of the game would have been: Goff comes in and goes 0 for 5 with an INT and does nothing on four straight drives.

Goff had ONE nifty pass late in the 2nd quarter, the nice little outlet pass to Akers, who then did some magic on the sideline for a big gain. And Goff had two little 5-7 yard completions. That’s it.

Overall, I remember Goff as really showing some guts to grit out the win, and he made zero big mistakes. But after re-watching it, his play was shakier than I’d remembered. This game was won because the D was dominant and Akers was a beast.

Hey, I remember the Goff who could freaking light it up. And for some games this year he looked great. But given his struggles in the second half of the season, and the obvious impact of the thumb, I really would understand if McVay just decided to roll with whatever QB seems the most healthy.

And yeah of course I’ll be rooting my guts out for whichever QB gets the nod!

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That play was all Kupp.

fucking finally, a rams receiver helps out goff. if they had done that all season, gone after the ball, the rams would have won another couple of games. about fucking time.

other than that why are you complaining about goff's game? he was the emergency qb. he wasn't even supposed to play, for the very reasons you expressed.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I said it in another post, Goff needs to put in some serious time and invest in his career this coming off season.

He does that every year.

For all the bad mouthing of this QB, no one who works with him has ever said that he doesn't have a strong work ethic or that he isn't committed to improvement. That he isn't self-motivated or that he lacks self awareness.

Or that he can't handle constructive criticism from his head coach. Goff has been knocked down many times in his career. He always gets back up.

For not "doing anything" in the Seahawks game, he did what only four other QBs in the SB era have done; come off the bench to win a playoff game. For not having any practice time, for being 12 days removed from thumb surgery, what he did was succeed in the face of adversity. The man won my enduring respect for that.

And I'm glad it bought him about two hours grace period before his critics started in on him again.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Nick Wright & Brandon Marshall break down the latest for the Los Angeles Rams and Sean McVay's silence in naming a starting quarterback. Nick feels McVay knows Jared Goff is the Rams biggest impediment to winning the Super Bowl and is therefore scoping out other options.

So Nick "Never" Wright has "a feeling" about McVay and Goff.

I have "a feeling" I am going to win MegaMillions tonight

You mean this clip @RhodyRams ?

This is a brutal clip to watch. Only the thick skinned will be able to view it start to finish.

Goff must avoid turnover number 50......

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U66n4WukMK4&t=10s

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
He does that every year.

For all the bad mouthing of this QB, no one who works with him has ever said that he doesn't have a strong work ethic or that he isn't committed to improvement. That he isn't self-motivated or that he lacks self awareness.

Or that he can't handle constructive criticism from his head coach. Goff has been knocked down many times in his career. He always gets back up.

For not "doing anything" in the Seahawks game, he did what only four other QBs in the SB era have done; come off the bench to win a playoff game. For not having any practice time, for being 12 days removed from thumb surgery, what he did was succeed in the face of adversity. The man won my enduring respect for that.

And I'm glad it bought him about two hours grace period before his critics started in on him again.

You are correct.

This is where 16 trains every off-season for those that don’t know.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
fucking finally, a rams receiver helps out goff. if they had done that all season, gone after the ball, the rams would have won another couple of games. about fucking time.

other than that why are you complaining about goff's game? he was the emergency qb. he wasn't even supposed to play, for the very reasons you expressed.

I took his post as it relates to Wolford vs Goff this week, i.e. factoring the thumb in.

As for the Kupp catch, I was really bummed after the game when I realized that Kupp HAS made those types of catches in his career - so why haven't we thrown him more of those this year??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You are correct.

This is where 16 trains every off-season for those that don’t know.

No Practice time ?? Reports were Goff was taking Reps ?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
No Practice time ?? Reports were Goff was taking Reps ?
I was responding to @tempests post about Goff’s off-season training.

yes, it was reported that Wolfie had the starter reps last week before Seattle. Typically the backup doesn’t get many, if at all.

Goff did some drills last week for the short time that media can attend.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Something I live my life by seems apt when thinking about this forum and Goff:

At the root of all conflict are unmet expectations

With QBs, fans have different opinions on what a QB is responsible for, and we also have differing opinions on production vs how much a player is paid - some of us care and some don't.

And of course you have people who are rooting for or against the specific player which makes it even messier.

I think that were all Rams fans though and at the end of the day want what we think is best for the team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With QBs, fans have different opinions on what a QB is responsible for, and we also have differing opinions on production vs how much a player is paid - some of us care and some don't
Pretty inaccurate IMO. It's not a matter of caring or not, it's a matter of salary slotting in today NFL. QB's get theirs when the contract is up. In the case of the 1st round QB, the 5th year option is picked up before the 4th season commences. Coming off a SB trip and 2 outstanding seasons, they werent dumping Goff and starting over. So you extend the player or you get stuck in a franchise tag situation that benefits nobody, doesnt allow the restructuring that allows cap flexibility. Essentially, the argument isnt about how much he got paid, because its not negotiable. Every QB that signs gets more than the 1 before him. So the argument is really whether they should have moved on from Goff before the contract extension or not.
Frankly, when the ball is snapped, it doesnt matter if the QB is paid 40 million or $40, the QB needs to play well. At that point expectations shouldnt be based on the paycheck. If that were the case, it wouldnt have been disappointing if the 99 Rams didnt win the SB considering what Warner was being paid? Of course it would have.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He does that every year.

9-19 for 155 yards. One for 44 on a dump off the Akers turned in to a big gain and a terrible throw undoubtedly affected by the thumb that Kupp bailed him out on for another 44 yards.

Goff did not win that game.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
9-19 for 155 yards. One for 44 on a dump off the Akers turned in to a big gain and a terrible throw undoubtedly affected by the thumb that Kupp bailed him out on for another 44 yards.

Goff did not win that game.
well, there it is...all settled

John R

Rookie
Name
John R
Goff seemed to settle down as he went on in the game. He did a great job buying time to get that ball to Akers for that long run...and he looked like himself when he threw the TD to Woods. He was really fired up after that.

I'd like him to start...and I'm sure the med staff will do all they can to have the thumb at 100. All I want him to do is be willing to take off and run when there's plenty of daylight in front off him.

i noticed that too. Goff was very tentative the first few series, pretty much like he was in those bad games. There was definitely a drop off from Wolford’s two series, but then Goff got his head together, and started playing with confidence. His thumb was still bad, but he was coping with that and making plays. I think he was inspired by his defense, whatever it was, he ran for that first down, he is a master of the play action. Anyway that second half I felt like we had the old Goff back, albeit with an injured thumb.

RamWoodie

Legend
I call CRAPOLA!

I believe any coach/qb relationship that is healthy is going to have disagreement between the two.

I believe Goff wants more liberty in the playcalling, and I think he should have it.

"JUST MY THOUGHTS...I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S THE SITUATION"

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
well, there it is...all settled
At best he didn’t lose it by half of those throws not being picked.

The defense, oline and Akers had more to do with winning it.

And I was responding to the ridiculous claim that Goff came in and won the game.

dang

Legend
As the game progressed Goff’s confidence grew. His movement and footwork looked bad in the first couple of series. Goff needs rhythym to hit his stride. He needed a little more time to get into rhythym as his thumb was clearly impacting his passes There were more floaters thrown by Goff.