Poll: Keep Raheem or get two 3rd round comp picks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you rather keep Raheem Morris as DC, or receive two third round comp picks?

• Prefer to keep Raheem as DC

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Prefer to get two 3rd round comp picks

Votes: 64 81.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, but only Ryans has shown anything thus far.
Huh? Pierce did a great job with the Raiders, Mayo just got hired and Gannon took over a train wreck and had them competitive.
You said the trend was not defensive coaches, yet I just rattled off 4 who were recently hired. Belichick will be hired soon, Vrabel will be back next year if not this year.
The trend does not in any way shy away from defensive coaches

EDIT-
after some quick research I compiled the list of the current and previous year's hires.
Cardinals- Gannon D
Colts- Steichen O
Broncos- Payton O
Texans- Ryans D

Pats- Mayo D
Raiders- Pierce D
Titans- Callahan O
Chargers- Harbaugh Hybrid
4 of 7 hired, Defensive. Harbaugh could make an argument either way
Open
Falcons- Belichick? D
Panthers- do they even count?
Seahawks- Seems like they are leaning D
Washington- Seems like they are leaning O

So in the recent hiring, teams have elected to hire a Defensive coach some 50-60% of the time, if there's a trend it's toward defense

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Either way is fine.

He leaves... we get the picks...

He stays... we have won the Super Bowl with him as DC... so it can work.

I'll call it a win/win.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yeah and I dislike those 3rd and 20 draw plays lol

I think McVay is a hell of a coach but I wish he would be a little less conservative on some plays.
Me too. I think he would do well to take more chances - but he has forgotten more about football and football strategy than I’ll ever know

Anyway - I think we fans sometimes forget that a DC doesn’t entirely call the shots, and especially doesn’t set the philosophical tone for a D

WestCoastRam

Legend
Perhaps we can ask what DC do you want for two 3rd rounders?

There's a world where we get the two 3rds but I'd rather have Morris than our new DC.

All things equal, give me the picks!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Either way is fine.

He leaves... we get the picks...

He stays... we have won the Super Bowl with him as DC... so it can work.

I'll call it a win/win.
Take that positive, upbeat and optimistic attitude, and Get Lost!

We don’t need your kind around here.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not too concerned either way, other than I hate to see us looking for a DC too late in the offseason. But an additional third round pick in this draft would be welcome.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I’d be fine if he stays but it could be time for some fresh ideas.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. And that is why it's odd to see people saying 2023 is Morris's best year when it's the worst in most ways (see red text)
but because Rams played CBs closer to LOS they like it better.

Results never mattered to anti-Morris people. It was only how it looked that bothered them and when they expressed their
disdain it was personal ... not "I don't like it" or "It's not as good as I want" but "Morris is a retard" or "Morris is stupid" or his "scheme is stupid". There are all sorts of other exaggerations and distortions and lies, even.

But agree ... 2023 was the worst overall and that includes 2022 when the defense dropped from a playoff-level defense to one that as not nearly good enough.

But it is truly odd when the closeness of the CBs is more important to results.

Defense stats year-to-year
yards a game allowed
2021 - 17th
2022 - 19th
2023 - 20th

yards a play allowed
2021 - 10th
2022 - 23rd
2023 - 19th

defensive points allowed
2021 - 5th
2022 - 14th
2023 - 22nd

sack percentage
2021 - 5th
2022 - 20th
2023 - 23rd

Interception rate
2021 - 7th
2022 - 10th
2023 - 25th

Rushing yards a game
2021 - 6th
2022 - 13th
2023 - 12th

Yard per carry allowed
2021 - 5th
2022 - 13 th
2023 - 17th

Passing yards allowed
2021 - 22nd
2022 - 21st
2023 - 20th

Passing yards a play
2021 - 16th
2022 - 24th
2023 - 14th

DVOA
2021 - 5th
2022 - 18th
2023 - 22nd

3rd down % - incl PO
2021 - 7th
2022 - 21st
2023 - 16th

4th down % - incl PO
2021 - 14th
2022 - 31st
2023 - 24th

Goal to goal %
2021 - 11th
2022 - 2nd
2023- 20th

Red zone D %
2021 - 8th
2022 - 1st
2023 - 15th

number of blitzes
2021 - 9th
2022 - 13th
2023 - 15th

Pressures
2021 - 11th
2022 - 29th
2023 - 24th

Explosive plays allowed (20+ yards)
2021- 11th-t
2022 - 7th
2023 - 23rd

Explosive pass plays allowed
2021 - 19th
2022 - 7th
2023 - 23rd-tie

Look at how close some of those metrics are, particularly yards per play. DVOA is close the last two years, we got more pressure this year.

Now think about the difference in personnel.

That's why it's his best coaching job.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fine either way. That 3rd round pick could be a great player, but I'm also very happy with Raheem as a DC.

I also think it's probably undervalued how close he is with McVay.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Seattle has two 3rd round picks in 2024 if by chance Raheem ends up there.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Take the picks.
If we had a real DC the SB would not have been so close at the end.
Tired. tired, tired of his soft, soft, soft Charmin defense. Call him Mr Whipple.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Take the picks.
Tired. tired, tired of his soft, soft, soft Charmin defense. Call him Mr Whipple.
Held a Bengals team that averaged 27 to 20.. and they only got that because Refs missed a blatant penalty on Tee Higgins.

Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Held a Bengals team that averaged 27 to 20.. and they only got that because Refs missed a blatant penalty on Tee Higgins.

You know what you can do with it buddy.
Take the picks I say and you have no place talking to people like that around here.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You know what you can do with it buddy.
Take the picks I say and you have no place talking to people like that around here.
I'd take the picks too.

Sorry I offended you with my reaction to your offensive post about a Rams coach who helped the team win a Super Bowl.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I'd take the picks too.

Sorry I offended you with my reaction to your offensive post about a Rams coach who helped the team win a Super Bowl.
Save it with your fake apology. My post might not have been 100% correct, but it was not "offensive". You saying it was does not make it so.
Tired of watching our DBs 10 yards off the ball. Time to move on.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Save it with your fake apology. My post might not have been 100% correct, but it was not "offensive". You saying it was does not make it so.
Tired of watching our DBs 10 yards off the ball. Time to move on.
It was offensive. To me.

So, mind your own sensibilities, I’ll mind mine.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not to mention 7 of that shouldn't have happened with the face mask tackle on Ramsey

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I love a good 7 to 10 minute scoring drive, but not when it's the other team's offense doing it. The "bend don't break" gives the other team TOP advantage.

That's fair and accurate. It's a trade-off and it was a calculated decision by McVay to go with a defense he had problems with. If blitzing teams were what he was concerned about he could have hired a blitz-type DC in 2020. But it comes down to numbers ... blitzing can work (and fail) and 'bend but don't break' can work (and fail) and a mix of both can work and can fail.

Execution plays the biggest role in any defense. Or offense. It can be a perfect call on offense and the QB can throw a pick. Or it can be a bad call and result in a TD and everywhere in between. It's what is great about football.

I suspect the way McVay felt was the Fangio scheme would allow fewer points than the others so he went with it maybe thinking that the fewest points allowed were more important than TOP or yards allowed. I don't know that for sure, but that's my guess.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Take the picks.
The hate always outs. It cannot just be they don't like it.

Extremists have to call him names. Never facts. Never understanding. Never concerned about results. Always about what something looks like.

Last edited:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Not to mention 7 of that shouldn't have happened with the face mask tackle on Ramsey
I am not one who complains about calls because they go both ways. Rams benefitted in 2018 in a big way but that was so off that it was funny. Biggest game and the refs miss that one. But, it is a fair point. Bengals didn't do a ton in that game and what was a long TD that should have been called. I didn't cost the game so I don't worry about it ... but yeah, agree ... that was impactful.