Plan B: Paul Richardson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thanks for finding that 65. There was not another WR that snagged as many balls over the middle than Sammy. I counted 16 in that video and that wasn't all of them.
Most of his receptions resulted in 1st downs too.

To expect Reynolds or Thomas to replicate Watkins ability to go over the middle is unrealistic. And the Rams are not going to find a FA that does it as good as Watkins either. Watkins is the best out there at going over the middle.

Weather they decide to sign him or not, if they let him walk they going to be losing an important aspect of the passing game, and some other team is going to benefit.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for finding that 65. There was not another WR that snagged as many balls over the middle than Sammy. I counted 16 in that video and that wasn't all of them.
Most of his receptions resulted in 1st downs too.

To expect Reynolds or Thomas to replicate Watkins ability to go over the middle is unrealistic.

I'm sure the plan includes having more receptions by the TEs - mostly over the middle - next season. We all expected the Rams offense to include more of that last year, based on the Redskin offense and the drafting of Everett as McVay's first draft pick.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams TE's were weak over the middle. Everrett had trouble getting separation and Higbee dropped half the balls thrown to him, and he had trouble getting separation too.

I expect them to get better with experience and I expect more from Hemingway. But I have no delusions that the Rams current TE's will make up for the loss of Watkins. Especially going over the middle.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams TE's were weak over the middle. Everrett had trouble getting separation and Higbee dropped half the balls thrown to him, and he had trouble getting separation too.

I expect them to get better with experience and I expect more from Hemingway. But I have no delusions that the Rams current TE's will make up for the loss of Watkins. Especially going over the middle.

They won't fully make up for it. But given limited resources, I doubt they throw much at the offense this offseason. They will want to give Everett a chance, and they need to upgrade the front defensive 7, especially after trading two linebackers this offseason. If a bargain comes in free agency or in the draft, they'll jump at it, but they need to finish the defense, and they almost certainly want to save cap dollars to frontload Donald's extension, so they can deal with Gurley next year and Goff the year after.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Time to put the recent (2016/2017) TE/WR draft investments & assets to work & stop letting them sit & watch.

These Rams are now entering their 2nd & 3rd seasons no reason not to get them going. Won't know what we have till they get them in action. If these youngsters don't pan out then reset for new prospects in 2019 & Snead will have to do a better job. I not in the mood to over pay in free agency for a receiver when the Rams have big upcoming issues in the future OL where we have no bunch of draft assets & investments sitting around watching.

I stand alone in here :sadwalk:if we are going to over pay :banghead: in free agency adventures let it be in the solidification :lifting:in the future protection wall for our main Ram investment...... Jared Goff!:rant:

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend

I too doubt the TE alone can make up for the loss of of Watkins. The slants for TDs were a big part of the Rams and Sammy's game. All in all they didn't take full advantage of Watkins in general and over the middle. In 15 games he caught a total of 39 catches. They will have to find a way to get the TD production and the attention he commanded from others. Still a chance he signs. Thomas could get some over the middle passes. Reynolds could get red zone targets. He needs to get stronger. The TEs have to get better with a years experience. It will be up to McVay to figure out where he gets the overall production. I think he has to involve more players which is what he does. He also needs to add to the play book

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I really want Sammy to return, but I fear SF or Oakland are gonna offer too much money.

I really hope Sammy values winning and coaching over money and stats. Sadly, that almost never happens...and I don't blame players who make the choice to take the money.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
IMO, Watkins contributions to the team go way beyond his box score stats. Teams simply have to game plan for him especially in our offense. We have the talent at QB/Receiver/Coach to make teams pay when they give him too much attention. I hope we sign him.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I really want Sammy to return, but I fear SF or Oakland are gonna offer too much money.

I really hope Sammy values winning and coaching over money and stats. Sadly, that almost never happens...and I don't blame players who make the choice to take the money.

I’m with you. I’m also thinking that with Woods, Kupp and Everett all missing time is Sammy a higher priority than we think. This whole thing with Sammy has me torn but I think this is one of those decisions that internally they have a much better handle on what they think he’s worth than all of us and it will shake out in regards to their offer.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

We didn't see a lot of Everett. He did show some flashes as evidenced by his yards per catch. I have a feeling they want to get him move involved. There's a reason he was their first pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams need SW, but others will outbid us
train
This very wise :bow:Ram fan understands the situation & summarized it in just a few words. Take the 3rd round comp pick next draft & look to train up & utilized what we have now.

nighttrain

Legend
This very wise :bow:Ram fan understands the situation & summarized it in just a few words. Take the 3rd round comp pick next draft & look to train up & utilized what we have now.
Still there is a hope of resignin Watkins, until that's gone, hope prevails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
train

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I too, fear money will be the issue with SW. I'm not on board with signing him at any cost, just pointing out what he brings to the Rams O and what they will miss if he goes elsewhere. I just don't see any one guy able to do what he does.