Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think the key with Tutu is how quickly he learns the offense. Another key is can he contribute on teams. Being a punt returner fits his skill set. He tracks it well and has good hands. Why he didn't do it in college no idea, and only thing I'd be worried about is him getting hurt, but he's a bottom of the chart WR so it fits. Way better to risk him than Kupp.

If he's smart he'll work his butt off to be a great returner as a rook too. Because that gets him on the gameday roster. From there McVay will try to get him involved provided he knows the plays.
Yea I think he'll play on punt returns for sure. Something else that DJax can work with him on because he's been elite in that role before. I think he's going to definitely make an impact as a rookie. As others have mentioned before, our jet sweep game hasn't been the same since Tavon left. As bad as he was as a WR, having that elite speed coming around the edge will open a lot of things up and make teams respect it again. Not to mention the times where we have Tutu running the jet motion, with a PA pass and DJax going deep with Tutu continuing around on a wheel type route. Shit will be tough to defend. And Akers is going to go off this year. Many forget Akers faced the #1 amount of stacked boxes (8+ defenders) in the NFL. It was more than anyone else because people didn't respect our deep passing game. So the ripple effect from Tutu being on the field running jet motions will help in other areas too.

xander47

Rookie
That LB was future Hall of Famer Bobby Wagner.

Few years later, there was a safety Fisher loved and decided to draft him higher than he was projected to go. Fisher said he thought of the Wagner situation and did not want a repeat.

That safety was Maurice Alexander.

Good Times.
They were also in on bahktiari but the Packers picked him right before they were going to...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Was the pick a reach? Yes.

Will all of us root for him as a Ram? Yes.

Will he succeed as an NFL receiver? We will see!

I personally like the guy, and although I would have taken an Oline there, maybe McVay and Snead are smarter than me as far as football goes. Just gotta wait and see what happens.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Snooping Seahawk forums... fans wanted Creed Humphrey and a lot of them are not too happy with Eskridge.... “Undersized”. “We need OL.“ Etc.

Did the Rams have Atwell equal or higher than Eskridge? Both guys (Eskridge/Atwell) are not very big. Had we picked Eskridge the size question would still be there.

As far as receiving... Atwell has the better resume over fewer seasons.

Atwell is younger too; Eskridge-24, Atwell-21.

ESKRIDGE
904E507D-CFCD-4ABC-A067-14038E9FECA2.png

ATWELL
4A70A607-1259-44FD-AB25-C83167684D31.png

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Snooping Seahawk forums... fans wanted Creed Humphrey and a lot of them are not too happy with Eskridge.... “Undersized”. “We need OL.“ Etc.

Did the Rams have Atwell equal or higher than Eskridge? Both guys (Eskridge/Atwell) are not very big. Had we picked Eskridge the size question would still be there.

ESKRIDGE
View attachment 45287

ATWELL
View attachment 45288
Perhaps the Rams interest in Eskridge was real, or maybe just a smokescreen to block Atwells name from showing they had interest/liked him more.

Psycho_X

Legend

ESKRIDGE
View attachment 45287

ATWELL
View attachment 45288

Seems like I read somewhere that Atwell said the Rams told him before the draft that they would draft him in the 2nd if he was there. If true seems like he was their boy all along. At the end of the day the only negative I see with him is his size. It is a concern but frankly might also help him avoid serious injuries. Those small guys are agile and bendy... just got to avoid putting your head down into contact like Brandin Cooks always does.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Ouch!

I don't envy a young Kevin Bacon from that Animal House initiation but I do envy the life and career he has enjoyed since then.

Shit man, that's over 40 years ago.

Bacon's best line of that movie will always be 'Remain Calm. All is well' ... right before the desperate crowd stampedes him.

Tano

Legend
Ouch!

I don't envy a young Kevin Bacon from that Animal House initiation but I do envy the life and career he has enjoyed since then.

Shit man, that's over 40 years ago.

Bacon's best line of that movie will always be 'Remain Calm. All is well' ... right before the desperate crowd stampedes him.
I loved that movie

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I loved that movie
Me too.

Favorite line? Many to choose from.

One of my favorites was ... "Don't feel so bad. You fucked-up. You trusted us"

It's a great line that can be (and I have) used by anyone in real life.

Tano

Legend
Me too.

Favorite line? Many to choose from.

One of my favorites was ... "Don't feel so bad. You fucked-up. You trusted us"

It's a great line that can be (and I have) used by anyone in real life.
I don't know why but I loved

"I'm a pimple - Get it!!"

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Mcvay runs more three wr sets than anyone in the league. I think this year that third wr is a deep threat. That mean djax starts and tutu is his backup. A 34 running a lot of deep patterns will need breather. Is so tutu will get a decent number of snaps

I doubt seriously that djax "starts" unless you're suggesting that the starter be limited to around a third of the snaps...then again, perhaps that's simply splitting hairs.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I doubt seriously that djax "starts" unless you're suggesting that the starter be limited to around a third of the snaps...then again, perhaps that's simply splitting hairs.
outside red zone I can see having the third wr as a deep thread with djax as maybe the snap leade and mix in tutu and perhaps jefferson. Inside 20 jefferson in 3 wr sets. That would proobaly keep djax to around 40% snaps or less of total snaps

Ram65

Legend
I still think it would be interesting to see if he can return punts. He just outran everyone in college but, he might have some moves we haven't seen. The Rams need a better punt return option.

The Rams and McVay seem very high on him. Being a coach's son he could pick things up quickly. He is more for the future and some insurance for Jackson. For the Rams not to trade down or up you have to think this is the guy they wanted. As I stated before it would be nice to see get some reps this year. Can't hurt to send deep some or even scheme him open to using that speed. Would really like to see that speed in action this year. Rams always seem to have a good plan early in the draft.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Mcvay runs more three wr sets than anyone in the league. I think this year that third wr is a deep threat. That mean djax starts and tutu is his backup. A 34 running a lot of deep patterns will need breather. Is so tutu will get a decent number of snaps
Rams will be able to run three wr sets with a great rotation of players at all positions. But I expect some exotic formations too. As someone said in a different context, McVay is probably locked away somewhere channeling his inner Mike Martz and drawing up plays with 4 or 5 receivers and no blockers.