Pick #57 - Rams select WR Tutu Atwell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Yea trying to press him is a risk for sure lol. Just like DJax, which is why he gets a ton of cushion. But elite CBs like the Ramseys of the world can do it and take them out of the game. My point was just like you said though...as he develops and sees the field more McVay will make sure he gets free somehow. Motion and sweeps for sure will be huge for him. For that same reason I'm very exicted to see how DJax is used this year too. :biggrin:
I was watching KW break down McVay’s offense and I started thinking about Tutu in the naked boot system. Everyone has seen it by now but with Woods or Kupp doing the jet motion. I love those guys but they don’t really scare you with speed or open field ability which is Tutu’s strength. Even when Cooks was here running with the ball and making guys miss wasn’t what he was best at, hopefully Atwell’s quickness helps him avoid some of the shots Cooks took that landed him in concussion protocol. Tavon wasn’t a very good receiver and Cooks wasn’t a great runner I think McVay has been wanting a guy who can do both, that, and having a qb who loves to go deep, can get this offense going again.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was watching KW break down McVay’s offense and I started thinking about Tutu in the naked boot system. Everyone has seen it by now but with Woods or Kupp doing the jet motion. I love those guys but they don’t really scare you with speed or open field ability which is Tutu’s strength. Even when Cooks was here running with the ball and making guys miss wasn’t what he was best at, hopefully Atwell’s quickness helps him avoid some of the shots Cooks took that landed him in concussion protocol. Tavon wasn’t a very good receiver and Cooks wasn’t a great runner I think McVay has been wanting a guy who can do both, that, and having a qb who loves to go deep, can get this offense going again.

The most unstoppable short yardage play in the NFL - maybe NFL history - is the Chiefs little playaction boot with Hill coming across. They have done that like 10 times the past two years and been successful every single time. They even ran it with their backup on 4th down near midfield in the AFCCG to ice the game.

Obviously Tutu isn't Hill, but hopefully his speed is close and we can implement that play.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When people start spewing negativity nonstop, it is fair to wonder what they're actually rooting for - do you disagree with that statement?
Generally we give people a chance to do something before making wild assumptions on how they'll handle something in the future. You make some serious assumptions about a lot of people around here and have this entire draft season. Just because I (or Memento or Jrry or one of the many other people around here and around Rams fandom hell even other teams fans like the pick because they don't get a taking a WR who had to beef up to 160lbs when there were other players available) dislike a pick in your mind I'm going to root against a player on the Rams. Quit creating problems around here that don't exist and get over people having a different opinion of a draft pick than you, this situation is all on you and something you created and assigned to others.

Also it's comical that you and others want to assign the same ability of Atwell to existing and former players like Hill and Smith JR. Guys who are considerably thicker built and weigh at least 25 lbs more than him. There's a world of difference between them.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Generally we give people a chance to do something before making wild assumptions on how they'll handle something in the future. You make some serious assumptions about a lot of people around here and have this entire draft season. Just because I (or Memento or Jrry or one of the many other people around here and around Rams fandom hell even other teams fans like the pick because they don't get a taking a WR who had to beef up to 160lbs when there were other players available) dislike a pick in your mind I'm going to root against a player on the Rams. Quit creating problems around here that don't exist and get over people having a different opinion of a draft pick than you, this situation is all on you and something you created and assigned to others.

Also it's comical that you and others want to assign the same ability of Atwell to existing and former players like Hill and Smith JR. Guys who are considerably thicker built and weigh at least 25 lbs more than him. There's a world of difference between them.

That's good feedback, thank you. I do need to tone that down.

However, all I said in regard to Atwell and Hill was one play that the Chiefs run and I specifically said that he's NOT Hill, only that I hope we try to use that play because he's also VERY fast - this is a good example of you wanting to skew something to the negative for no reason.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Hated the pick - wanted some big uglies along the OL. But He’s a Ram and thus I’m a huge fan of the kid now. Hoping he has a great career and makes McVay & Stafford look great.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tutu seems like a real good and well-raised young man. Respectful. Humble. No diva here. Kind of guy who I'm going to enjoy rooting for. (y)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tutu seems like a real good and well-raised young man. Respectful. Humble. No diva here. Kind of guy who I'm going to enjoy rooting for. (y)

Josh Reynolds seemed to not understand his surroundings.He seemed to miss assignments.
Tutu is a different player,but he seems to be aware & the game doesn’t look like it will be to big for him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's good feedback, thank you. I do need to tone that down.

However, all I said in regard to Atwell and Hill was one play that the Chiefs run and I specifically said that he's NOT Hill, only that I hope we try to use that play because he's also VERY fast - this is a good example of you wanting to skew something to the negative for no reason.
You did, this time, but go back through this thread and others about the kid. He's compared to Hill, Smith Jr and even DJax though if I was trying to comp him to anybody a guy that's been healthy enough to play a full season what twice in 13 years is the last comp I'm giving.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Tano

Legend
I agree and I think you'd be an exception.

One of the reasons I brought it up is because it goes hand in hand with what my mindset is after a draft - sure, I may have wanted the Rams to draft a certain player, but I give all that up right after the draft, because:

Players often succeed or fail due to factors that we are unaware of - interactions with other players/coaches or something inside the player that nobody knew about. Greg Robinson was a unanimous top 5 pick - he was a complete and total bust - but everyone had him going that high. What happened? It's not just Snead and the Rams that missed on that - anyone would have.

So I just choose to be happy with who the Rams took. For any given player, there's 32 different potential outcomes for 32 different teams - because at the end of the day, all of these guys have talent or they wouldn't have been drafted. The real difference is going to be their attitude, demeanor and work ethic - none of which we have any clue about.
I don't root against a player either. I just wanted them to draft someone else instead.

Hopkins last year is a good example. I strongly wanted Biadasz instead of Hopkins. However, Hopkins is a Ram and I am hoping he turns into the receiving TE that Everett never quite became.

As to Tutu, I think he is way too small for the game and hope against hope that he is able to avoid any big hit.

153 lbs is too darn small.

Tano

Legend
Tavon was pretty damn good on the jet sweep but after getting hit so much on them he started avoiding the cuts inside at the end there.

I wouldn't have had a problem if he cut inside and then dove forward when about to get hit to avoid any big tackles.

I hope Atwell can implement that in his game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah... short video. Seems like a good young man. Easy to root for.
He does seem like a good kid.

Did you notice where he said that they told him he'd be next up on the clock? That would seem to me to indicate that they weren't actually taking the whole time allotment... that they knew he was their guy at 57.

I wonder if that kind of stuff is more dictated by the NFL than by the teams. It would make sense that they have a time schedule and if one team picks early then they may have to delay the next one. I didn't really pay attention to much of that stuff. I wonder if most teams took their entire time allotment. Regardless, I'm sure they weren't going to just end the draft show early because teams had their picks ready to go.

Psycho_X

Legend
He does seem like a good kid.

Did you notice where he said that they told him he'd be next up on the clock? That would seem to me to indicate that they weren't actually taking the whole time allotment... that they knew he was their guy at 57.

I wonder if that kind of stuff is more dictated by the NFL than by the teams. It would make sense that they have a time schedule and if one team picks early then they may have to delay the next one. I didn't really pay attention to much of that stuff. I wonder if most teams took their entire time allotment. Regardless, I'm sure they weren't going to just end the draft show early because teams had their picks ready to go.

Yeah I'm pretty confident that commercial time quota dictates that time between picks more than anything the teams do. Just like the games... both teams can run the ball every play but the NFL is still going to get three hours out of you one way or another.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah he seems like a nice respectful young man. Hope he's got some dog in him though. I think of all of the impact smallish WR's i've seen over the years...Gary Clark, Steve Smith, DJax, Edelmann etc. They were all tough and scratched, clawed and fought for balls and production. They had to be.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
This thread...

A: Yeah but he's fast!
B: Yeah but he's small!

Rinse and repeat till season starts

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This thread...

Rinse and repeat till season starts
Interestingly enough there are a lot of guys in the NFL as fast or faster. Very few as small as he is at WR.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Interestingly enough there are a lot of guys in the NFL as fast or faster. Very few as small as he is at WR.
There are not many who can run fast, track a ball over their shoulder, catch it and hold on through contact.
Not many of those guys