Pick #249 - Rams select WR Ben Skowronek

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think at face value round seven was all about special teams.

With the way the Rams use Kupp and Woods it’s even difficult for Jefferson to get catches. Stafford likes to throw to his RBs too. Now they added DJ and Tutu and how can Harris or Skowronek get their hands on a ball.

Harris has the biggest physical upside of these special teams picks but his lack of production in college makes him a longshot imo.

Snead and McVay both said that this draft will be about depth. It certainly seems that way since it doesn’t appear that they chose a single starter in the group. The closest to starting will be the DLine additions because they could fit into the rotation if they make the team.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That could be an excellent spot for him, he has the size and the blocking ability, plus being able to catch the football on the screen. I actually like this pick and believe he has some excellent skills.

As they say, ... if you can't be with the one you love (FB Ben Mason in my case), love the one you're with (Ben Skowronek).

The Rams like him, so now I like him. Lets make it work. jmo.

TheTackle

Starter

Wide receiver: Ben Skowronek, Notre Dame

Notre Dame produced an enticing, big-bodied receiver last year in Chase Claypool, and his success at the next level should have teams excited about the player filling a similar role for the Fighting Irish: Ben Skowronek.

A graduate transfer from Northwestern, Skowronek is a big-bodied receiver at 6-foot-3 and 224 pounds. He has the height and catch radius needed to be a physical mismatch against practically any defensive back he faces. He uses his frame well, boxing out defenders in contested-catch situations and using his brand of bully ball to intimidate teams in the red zone. Skowronek is not just your average big receiver, though: he has very good ball skills and offers ideal body control in his adjustments to the ball, as well as optimal fluidity across the middle of the field.

Is Skowronek the most explosive route runner? Not quite, and his lack of elite production could limit his draft stock to an extent. Despite not having more than 650 yards in a single collegiate season, he was invited to the Senior Bowl to showcase his talents, and it wouldn’t be surprising if he became a more nationally-recognized prospect by the end of that week.

TheTackle

Starter
I chose Fuller as my sleeper last year

The more I read, and watch, the higher I am on this pick. He looks like a real find and a great fit for the west coast offense.

Ben offers us something we have often been missing: A move TE/FB type who both excels at blocking in space and is a dynamic pass-catcher who can consistently go up over the top of safeties and CBs - Dare I say (dream) Kyle Juszczyk? Is Ben an even better receiver out of the backfield? A player who can flex wide and out-muscle smaller Nickle-backs?

'Loves to fire off on defenders early in game as a blocker'
'Consistent working up to back-side safety in run game'
'Size and strength to pancake on perimeter and scrap near the line'

"Tough, physical and reliable," Skowronek said during a video conference with reporters after being selected 249th overall by L.A. in the 2021 NFL Draft". I love to get in there blocking. That's my favorite thing to do on the football field is hitting people. Maybe I play the wrong position at receiver, but that's what I love to do. I think I have some of the best hands coming out in this year's draft. Strong hands, I catch everything and I'm also a high IQ player. I love the game of football. I study the game of football. I've been around the game of football growing up. So, I feel like I'm savvy in that way and just a high IQ type guy."

Tano

Legend
This guy could be a sleeper pick that becomes one of the best blocking TEs in the league with sure hands on the short yardage downs.

I think this guy will be a huge asset on the 3rd and short plays and goal line plays that we seem to have issues from time to time.

That's my take anyway.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This guy could be a sleeper pick that becomes one of the best blocking TEs in the league with sure hands on the short yardage downs.

I think this guy will be a huge asset on the 3rd and short plays and goal line plays that we seem to have issues from time to time.

That's my take anyway.

I think you mean WR. He is a Hibred type of build though.The interview from above on when he got draft was pretty cool. He is going to learn from the best.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can't wait for preseason. :horns::cool::horns:

So your going to make it out to camp ? It will be a Zoo & I think you’ll have to sign up & get tickets ? It’s changed from back in the day.
Funny The Cowboys in Oxnard of all places.Wonder about the Raiders.I have to get out to the Chargers camp.
Staley’s defense might be better than when he was with the Rams ? I think Cleveland & the Dawg pound after this 2021 draft will be Top 5 easy.

Only 3 preseason games so it should be more intense than in the past.New rules or dates ?
The cool thing about camp is you get such a close look at players & there characters.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Don't see it as possible in 2021. They both re-structured, and their cap hit in dead-$ would be extreme.
Totally agree here. Why does it seem that everyone wants to speculate that we'll trade one if them when we are supposed to have way more CAP room next year? If it ain't broke, don't fix it lol. Only way I see it is if one of them falls off a cliff or if one of the WRs we drafted ends up being a total gem. Makes no sense whatsoever otherwise.

Tano

Legend
I think you mean WR. He is a Hibred type of build though.The interview from above on when he got draft was pretty cool. He is going to learn from the best.
I think he would make a better TE than WR - but he would definitely need to put on some more weight for that

Can he add another 20 to 25 lbs - 6 3 250?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think he would make a better TE than WR - but he would definitely need to put on some more weight for that

Can he add another 20 to 25 lbs - 6 3 250?

Yeah - I think easier said than done.Ben himself said he want to run the 40 to prove people wrong about his speed.He loves blocking .

IMO - I’d say he will be learning from the best.Woods,Kupp,DJ11 are all such good guys to play behind.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Totally agree here. Why does it seem that everyone wants to speculate that we'll trade one if them when we are supposed to have way more CAP room next year? If it ain't broke, don't fix it lol. Only way I see it is if one of them falls off a cliff or if one of the WRs we drafted ends up being a total gem. Makes no sense whatsoever otherwise.

Funny I’m into this black & white thing right now. Can’t get it out of my head with connection.I’ve been to Rams training camps.Get all fired up,yell scream. I run around & then observe.I watch & listen to players.

Copper Kupp & Robert Woods are awesome.The like Tonto & the Line Range. They just seem pure and look like when they come onto the practice field they do it as a pair.I’ve seen it at least twice. Maybe 3 times,but in different years.I think Inhave this football Brian’s Song thing that I am just now picturing.
—For what it’s worth DJ11 is going to bring a whole new element to The Rams.This guy is the perfect player at the perfect time.He is all about home(community) & giving back.
—I laugh at all the doubters they say this & that about players.Not saying I’m totally different.I thought Havenstien was going to get traded as well as Brockers.Then once Bobby Evans played Guard things changed on that. Rob Havienstien means to much to The Rams. His contract is cheap & there is over half O”Lineman that are FA after 2021 as of now.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Example of Roger Saffold & DJ11.
Todd Gurley
Copper Kupp as well.

Those are all real injuries and concerns. Gurley was to much of a Diva & wanted the ball.Mcvay needs to keep things about WE & not ME.
That is a very simple concept,but is so simple as to knowing when it becomes about a player first.
—Brockers wanted change & to get paid.He was on his way out to Baltimore.
—Goff & Mcvay ??? Gone bad ? I loved Goff though & wish him the best.I know he is not the best,but when it comes to ball he plays 100%. That Green Bay game at one time was 18-20.Threw a ball to Josh Reynolds in his hands & dropped. Then if anyone wants to talk crap about Bobby Evans was able to.Aaron Donald was about ME that day on his personal foul.Selfish & cost The Rams the game.
— just saying players still need to be held accountable,but the focus is together.Mcvay wants to keep this group fresh & grow the squad the right way. Reggie Scott will keep players healthy. I still laugh at all The T.Lewis Haters. —AD was playing hurt & is one of the best.He is the Alfa Dawg now on the D-Line.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another thing we need to look at is the fact that 3 of our top 4 WR's are in their 30's. For many reasons, it's smart o have options if something was to happen to any of them.. injury, cap $, etc. Also adding possibilities for more diverse personnel groups and not be so predictable. Boosting ST's . All of these are reasons they are making these pics. I love it.
What receiver is over 30 other than Djax?

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
One thing to mention: Stafford seems to love his tight ends. Bigger targets. Harris and Skowronek could get a lot more chances to make the roster if they're listed at tight end.
Yes he does! I was thinking the same. I'm thinking Higbee will put up some career numbers this year.

Tano

Legend
Brian’s Song thing that I am just now picturing.
1620339245340.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As a Rams Fan I’ve noticed certain players together.

Weedle was just a solid Mentor giving back & Mcvay bringing a certain leader in. Eric Weedle looked smaller & slower when I saw him practicing.Bad to keep looking at my roster to see who he was.
Morgan Fox & Brockers we’re always around together in the DL group.
Ogletree & Brockers were tight. Fox & Brockers always pushed each other & were connected at the hips a bit.
Corey Littleton & Bryce Hager were always in groups together.They always pushed each other in LBer group & special teams.I liked the way they lead by example & pushed each other. They left last season together.
Brockers & Fox gone this season.
Noteboom & Whitworth have been next to each other on LT/LG. Noteboom has been Whitworth’s back up & played next to him as LG as well. They are always working together in one way or another.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wally Triplet - 1949 draft
Rayfield Wright - 1967 7th rd pick
Edelman 2013 7th rd
Jake Funk 7th rd 2021
/ Garrett

Last edited:

TheTackle

Starter
It will be interesting to see if he is in the TE room. I hope so, because that could mean we got an absolute steal

‘He's a quick opener to eat up quick throws underneath, has the speed and athleticism to work the second level and occasionally get deep if teams aren't careful about how they match up with him. He needs more weight but is already a plus run blocker who can handle blocking duties from the slot. Skowronek could be the next Robert Tonyan if given a chance at that spot’