Pick 19 - WE HAVE A 1ST ROUND PICK

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In a yr where they feel that they can make a run they might, especially after this yrs debacle in GB.
Not when they have limited cap space. And for edification purpose, that list was guys on the "low" side
Guys like Tyrod, Heincke, Mariota and Brissett are in the 6-8 mill range
We're looking at not being able to retain Dotson over a couple mill, and he'll play every down. Cant see blowing significant cap on a guy who likely wont see the field
I agree they'll re-evaluate the back up situation but there are many QB's who are an upgrade to Rypien, they dont cost big $$$

dang

Legend
Flacco was on a 2.5 mill deal in Cleveland
Andy Dalton is at 4 mill
Trubisky is making 5.6 mill
Cooper Rush 2.5 mill
Case Keenum 3.2 mill
And on and on
I can’t see a universe where the Rams will commit 3-5 mill for a backup QB
Not just as backup QB. Perhaps a QB that can be coached up to start when Stafford (presumably) retires after the 2025 season AND can be used as a wildcat/short yardage weapon in 2024/2025.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm not sure JJ helps us in the years to come either!

Burns won't be going for 2 1sts if tagged this year. Panthers desperately need draft capital too. There's a world where they tag and we trade for less than that. And I'm not opposed to it.
Just not sure there is a lot of value in that. He's expected to get a contract in excess of $20m/year. The guy had 8 sacks last year. We got that out of 2 3rd round picks who we pay pennys in comparison. Burns is talked about as being one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, guess I just don't see that (37th in the league in sacks). I'd MUCH rather take my chances on a guy at 19 then trade that away and pay a guy a massive contract.

Now Josh Allen may be a different story, as he is one of the best pass rushers in the league.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just not sure there is a lot of value in that. He's expected to get a contract in excess of $20m/year. The guy had 8 sacks last year. We got that out of 2 3rd round picks who we pay pennys in comparison. Burns is talked about as being one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, guess I just don't see that (37th in the league in sacks). I'd MUCH rather take my chances on a guy at 19 then trade that away and pay a guy a massive contract.

Now Josh Allen may be a different story, as he is one of the best pass rushers in the league.
True.

But if I'm not mistaken, the Panthers defense had the fewest passing attempts against it in the league last year. And I read somewhere that they had him dropping into coverage far more than he had ever done so in his career. And I guess the hold in didn't help matters.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sure, there is turnover every year. But it's kind of funny.

On the one hand we seek to fill as many so-called holes as possible in the draft and free agency.

Yet last year we watched a team, with all its holes, that could very well have been playing next week with better redzone play.

Is there a team without weaknesses?

Should the focus really be so much on attempting to fill the most holes as opposed to obtaining legit impact players?

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend

Burns had a 21% pressure rate. Sacks are nice but pressure rate is more important. Young has a lot of work to do in my eyes and some of his sacks were eehhhhhhh and don't happen in different circumstances. Kid needs to up his pressures. And hope he does.

Granted, I'm not saying we trade a lot for Burns, just saying I think there's a price I'm happy with. He's a complete edge who can do everything we ask and is right around the top 10 in pressure rate.

Allen, sure, give me him all day.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just not sure there is a lot of value in that. He's expected to get a contract in excess of $20m/year. The guy had 8 sacks last year. We got that out of 2 3rd round picks who we pay pennies in comparison. ... I'd MUCH rather take my chances on a guy at 19 then trade that away and pay a guy a massive contract.

My first thought (and 2nd and 3rd) was to agree with you but @WestCoastRam may have something here.

There's a bunch of "IFs", and it's far from likely but maybe not Bat-Crap-Crazy. Here me out.

Edge is a huge need. The top free agents (Allen and Burns) figure to get tagged. Carolina could use some draft capital; and a mid-first round pick, plus cap space just might be enough for the Panthers to let Burns go.

I would love one of the top-three-OL but Alt, Fuaga and Fashanu all figure to be gone by #19.
Also a big fan (still early) of three DBs in Wiggins, Mitchell and DeJean but they could also be gone at #19.

The top Edge players (again, still very early) appear to be Latu, Turner, Verse, Robinson and Trice.
Personally, I like Turner but this group does not excite me as much as the above three OL and three DBs.

Now a foursome of Burns and Young at Edge, with Donald and Turner at DL seems fantastic to me.

Burns will be costly but the contract could be structured for a reasonable cap hit in years 1 and 2; and then jump-up when several of the Rams' current big contracts come-off-the-books.

Finally, there is age to consider. Despite playing five seasons, Brian Burns will only be 26 in 2024.
Burns is actually one month younger than Byron Young, and just one year older than Kobie Turner.

Of course, it's unlikely but it's kind of fun to think about.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not just as backup QB. Perhaps a QB that can be coached up to start when Stafford (presumably) retires after the 2025 season AND can be used as a wildcat/short yardage weapon in 2024/2025.
Wentz is 31, in the 2026 season he will turn 34. Not exactly a guy you want to “coach up” for 2 years to take over for Stafford.
And if you’re paying Wentz 5-7 mill per season for the next 2 years, I can’t see the logic in exposing him to injury by running wildcat etc.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Burns will be tagged and will cost at least 2 1st rounders.
And then of course you have to sign him long term.
He’s not going anywhere unless the Panthers get overwhelmed with a great deal.
They have a ton of cap space coming up too

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The two firsts offer is long gone. He was having a great year and still had a year of team control. The price is lower now. I still wouldn't pay it though. Salary sure but not the picks.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Burns will be tagged
Highly Likely
and will cost at least 2 1st rounders.
Very Possibly
Obviously
Probably
Absolutely True

All the above being acknowledged, it's kind of fun to speculate and dream a little this time of year.

I'm guessing you don't visit the Boobie and Booty threads very often and fantasize a little bit.
My future wife is currently featured on page 268 of the Boobie thread.
Just need to figure-out what to do with my current wife.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The two firsts offer is long gone. He was having a great year and still had a year of team control. The price is lower now. I still wouldn't pay it though. Salary sure but not the picks.
The price is higher not lower.
Trade deadline deals are mostly limited to teams in playoff hunt.
Now the whole league has a shot.
Carolina holds the cards. And with them keeping their DC intact it’s a win/win. Burns btw has been very open to staying in Carolina

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm not sure if it will cost 2 1sts... but could be wrong. It won't be cheap. Certainly not the reported 2 1sts and 3rd we offered 2 years ago.

I wonder if a 1st and change could get it done given how much help they need. There's already rumblings about guys like Tee Higgens not even wanting to go there so all that money in FA may have some strings attached.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Rams have options in FA for a very good edge but none of them are surefire and they all come with qualifications.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure if it will cost 2 1sts... but could be wrong. It won't be cheap. Certainly not the reported 2 1sts and 3rd we offered 2 years ago.

I wonder if a 1st and change could get it done given how much help they need. There's already rumblings about guys like Tee Higgens not even wanting to go there so all that money in FA may have some strings attached.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Rams have options in FA for a very good edge but none of them are surefire and they all come with qualifications.
If they put the non-exclusive tag on him, it will cost 2 1st rounders if they decide not to match

dang

Legend
Wentz is 31, in the 2026 season he will turn 34. Not exactly a guy you want to “coach up” for 2 years to take over for Stafford.
And if you’re paying Wentz 5-7 mill per season for the next 2 years, I can’t see the logic in exposing him to injury by running wildcat etc.
I’m a Rams fan homer so what do I know. Well maybe a little bit - 1) Rams backup QBs since drafting Goff have been horsesh#! - Automatic losses 2) Wentz looked healthy and may have some real gas left in the tank 3) Rams are all in for 2025 so I don’t see any QB worth a darn bring drafted this year. 4) Spitballing but contemplating if Wentz can fill a need and be another weapon to the arsenal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That can be negotiated.
Not exactly.
If a team signs him to offer sheet, and Carolina declines to match, they are entitled to 2 1st rounders. Or comparable compensation if a team doesn’t have.
But that requires the player to agree to sign the franchise tag.
Cases like last year, when Adam’s refused to sign, they traded him for less