Peters = Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Great comparison, both gave tremendous athletic ability but lack the knowledge and awareness.

I thought peters was possibly the best corner in the leauge, not so much anymore
agreed, even bought a jersey. Ugh

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I am a fan of Marcus Peters
He’s a Ram
and we are in the Championship game
I hope he plays lights out against NO

Psycho_X

Legend
Peters is about as soft as they come for defensive players. He tackles with the same want as most prima donna offensive players do when an interception happens. But he's been a turnover machine in years past. If he's getting those turnovers in our type of defense he is worth it. If he's not then he's a liability a lot of the time.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I agree with almost everything said about Peters here, but sometimes players like this come thru when it counts the most. It may be their ego or their belief in themselves but something drives them when they are on the biggest stage. Watch for him to have a good game with maybe a turnover or two.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I spent the weekend working with an audio tech from KC and a huge Chiefs fan. He knows how Peters has played this year and knows a lot of fans are pissed but he said he misses Marcus Peters so much and thinks KCs Defense would be better with him back. He thinks his bad season is an outlier and that something must be off with Peters legs. That the gambling was always there but this season he seems unable to close. He will never be a physical tackler but will surprise from time to time. He thinks Peters needs an elite high safety who is on the same page in order for his game to work, like he had in Eric Berry in KC. He said he would bet he has a much better year next year.

I spent the weekend working with an audio tech from KC and a huge Chiefs fan. He knows how Peters has played this year and knows a lot of fans are ticked but he said he misses Marcus Peters so much and thinks KCs Defense would be better with him back. He thinks his bad season is an outlier and that something must be off with Peters legs. That the gambling was always there but this season he seems unable to close. He will never be a physical tackler but will surprise from time to time. He thinks Peters needs an elite high safety who is on the same page in order for his game to work, like he had in Eric Berry in KC. He said he would bet he has a much better year next year.

Ok, I'm far from an X and O guy but speaking of safeties, would moving Peters to safety be a possible experiment if we give up on him as a corner? He's about the right size and instinctively chases the ball over chasing receivers. - Just a random thought.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I’m rewatching the Rams/gurlz game and I can’t help but consider the comparison between Peters and Watkins.

Peters doesn’t seem to get the coverages. Watkins was constantly having to have first year Ram players line him up.

Peters always seems to come to other players - both on our team and others - and get in their face. Watkins would many times act like the ball wasn’t where it was supposed to be or going to him.

I realize we have Peters for another season but I can’t help but think we look to upgrade and dispatch with his excuse mentality.

This is VERY much a we not me team and I can’t help but think his mentality is one this organization can and will do without.

I had GREAT not good hopes for the secondary of Talib and Peters. I even thought Peters was the biggest upgrade. Now he strikes me as Janoris without the lock down talent.

Sorry to say this, but, step the freak up Marcus, and shut the freak up until you do.

can someone post a screen shot of this to his Twitter? lol

dang

Legend
Ok, I'm far from an X and O guy but speaking of safeties, would moving Peters to safety be a possible experiment if we give up on him as a corner? He's about the right size and instinctively chases the ball over chasing receivers. - Just a random thought.
If that were an option - Peters would have to take $4M/year vs $10M/year.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
he had a good PD in the Dallas game, but also saw many examples of his lack of will to tackle. We need to draft corners to put some pressure on him. How much do we lose if we cut him in spring?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We know that the Rams Org. acquired CB Marcus Peters on Feb 23, 2018, in a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs for 2 draft picks one of which was a 2nd round :cry:selection in the 2019 draft & the other was a 4th rd pick in the 2018 draft. On April 24th, 2018 Rams Org. exercised a $9.069 million option for 2019 season.

Best I know is when the Rams exercised that 5th yr option, it becomes guaranteed for Peters injury only. If Peters is on the Rams roster at the start of the 2019 League Year in this option season, Peters salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap, and injury. So to me that means that Peters over $9 million salary is guaranteed for injury only, so the Rams could still cut Peters before the 2019 season if they chose:sneaky:.

Key here is the Rams who did exercise Peters fifth-year option, but still can cut Peters before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for that $9 million salary:whistle:. Again when the 2019 league year begins, Peters fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury.:shocking:

I am 100 % sure if it was my decision when this season ends I would release Marcus Peters & let him enjoy being a UFA so he can find a team who can use his talents!;) Then I am going to the draft to :wabbit:get me 2 or 3 outside corners!

Last edited:

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
Sorry to say this, but, step the freak up Marcus, and shut the freak up until you do.

Don't be sorry. You're right. Time for Peters to man up and stick his pride back in his pants because everyone knows Payton and the Saints are gonna be pulling shit on him All Game Long.

Beating the fuckers is the BEST revenge. Serve it cold and ruthlessly.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
We’ve all been so hard a Peters. He hasn’t played well. But I just have this gut feeling he’s finally going to do something to come up big in this game. Something to make up for everything that has happened this year.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I’m rewatching the Rams/gurlz game and I can’t help but consider the comparison between Peters and Watkins.

Peters doesn’t seem to get the coverages. Watkins was constantly having to have first year Ram players line him up.

Peters always seems to come to other players - both on our team and others - and get in their face. Watkins would many times act like the ball wasn’t where it was supposed to be or going to him.

I realize we have Peters for another season but I can’t help but think we look to upgrade and dispatch with his excuse mentality.

This is VERY much a we not me team and I can’t help but think his mentality is one this organization can and will do without.

I had GREAT not good hopes for the secondary of Talib and Peters. I even thought Peters was the biggest upgrade. Now he strikes me as Janoris without the lock down talent.

Honestly, I agree completely. I don't know what it is with Peters. He's been super soft all year. I was watching the game with my buddy who is a huge Cowboy fan and I kept saying, why is everyone playing 12 yards off the WR's every play. It's not like Gallup and Cooper are Julio Jones. Peters just plays to try and get picks, not to play solid D, it seems sometimes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Marcus Peters’ comments about Amari Cooper were a master class of no class
Shockingly, Marcus Peters lacked class on Saturday night.
By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa Jan 16, 2019
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...-amari-cooper-were-a-master-class-of-no-class

The Los Angeles Rams beat the Dallas Cowboys last Saturday night. That is true and will be true no matter what. They won and to the victors go the spoils.We’ve all been a part of trash talk at some point in our lives. Either in the lead up or aftermath of a competition (definitely some Cowboys games), we’ve all had some words to say. Again, when you win you have the right to have the last laugh.

Rams cornerback Marcus Peters did some talking on Saturday night, and he did so in a pretty classless way. Speaking with NFL Media’s Mike Silver he had some words about Amari Cooper (who he’d been in some tussles with).Tell Coop I thought he knew us. He said he played us two times a year... that’s 12 times he played against me and (Talib). I think he got strapped tonight. He had that TD, but he didn’t do s---. (While incurring the personal foul) I choked him out. He couldn’t do nothin’. He was crying for his mama. That’s how he is. That’s why the Raiders got rid of him.

Amari Cooper finished tied with Brandin Cooks for the third-most receiving yards in the game. LA’s Robert Woods was in second and Amari’s teammate Michael Gallup was the leader as the only one on the night to break triple digits.Michael Gallup also may or may not have been on the receiving end of Peters’ hands getting a little too close to his face mask, but hey we’re talking about facts here! Facts like Amari Cooper getting “strapped” on a night where he was the only wide receiver to score a touchdown.

Peters and Cooper do go back to their days in the AFC West when the former played for the Kansas City Chiefs and the latter the Oakland Raiders (Aqib Talib formerly played for the Denver Broncos). They certainly know each other and rivalries between cornerbacks and wide receivers run deep. We definitely saw that on Saturday night.

Early into the game Peters and Cooper were “playing” well after the whistle. It’s football, a playoff game at that, and we’re talking about two guys who were operating at high levels of energy. When you watch the video you can see clearly that Peters initiated the scuffle and then tried to play innocent afterwards. How noble and not at all wrong of him!
pic.twitter.com/twB186AtKY
— Blogging The Boys (@BloggingTheBoys) January 13, 2019
Just after this the Cowboys had had enough of the Rams (the last time that would be true, unfortunately) and responded with a huge touchdown... to the “strapped” Amari Cooper!

WELCOME TO THE DIVISIONAL ROUND AMARI COOPER pic.twitter.com/isSXXTDvnb

— Blogging The Boys (@BloggingTheBoys) January 13, 2019
The Rams beat the Cowboys last Saturday night and as a result they are the team that gets to play for a spot in the Super Bowl. It sucks, but they earned it. Good for them.

Many Los Angeles players won with class and didn’t spew out incorrect takes like this after the contest. Don’t count Marcus Peters among them.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt it ... i like my safeties making tackles if they are needed

i was so buzzed we got MP at the start of the season and he hasn't lived up to the hype

go back and watch us stuff Zeke on that 4-1 watch peters ...he wanted no part of helping the team ( he may have a put a hand on the pile ) sure zeke was stopped but it just stood out to me

phenomenal player amazing athlete zero heart ..

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Marcus Peters: 'I choked out Amari Cooper' in Divisional Round
ByPatrik Walker
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...t-Amari-Cooper-in-Divisional-Round-127909073/

Marcus Peters isn't done with Amari Cooper.

When the Dallas Cowboys headed west to face the Los Angeles Rams in the NFC Divisional Round, everyone knew it'd be a hard-fought game. Although the 30-22 final score landed in favor of the latter, who handled the former rather easily by way of a record-setting night of running the ball, emotions ran high enough on both sides to spill over in unpredictable fashion. The usually soft-spoken Cooper found himself being challenged by Peters to a degree that ran afoul of NFL rules, their escalating feud beginning with what was a simple called route that ended with Peters latching onto the facemask of Cooper and refusing to let go of course, the two-time pro bowl wideout rightfully took exception to it, before going on to deliver a 29-yard touchdown on the very next play from scrimmage.
Marcus Peters pisses off Amari Cooper.
Amari Cooper immediately takes one to the house. pic.twitter.com/SEWHa1gEIE— Barstool Sports (@barstooltweetss) January 13, 2019

Things only got worse from there, with the two having a physical exchange in the end zone at another point in the game, followed by Cooper seeking out Peters in the post-game get-together -- wherein the two had to be separated for the third time in one afternoon.
Marcus Peters and Amari Cooper were still going at it after the game.pic.twitter.com/72UeNgXFWG
— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) January 13, 2019

Unlike Cooper, Peters is known for being exceedingly vocal about his opponents, both before and after having played them (pending the outcome, usually).Despite the Cowboys' star wideout being one of few who contributed on offense, ending the day with 65 receiving yards and the aforementioned TD, Peters was still scathingly critical in his assessment of how the matchup played out. Speaking with Michael Silver of NFL.com, he took the gloves off and went full-bore at his familiar adversary, the two having done battle often before Cooper was traded to Dallas by the Oakland Raiders.

Before the game, Cooper said he knew Peters and All-Pro cornerback Aqib Talib "in and out"."I know how they play," he said, via the team's official website. "And I'm able to tell my teammates [and] the quarterback their tendencies."To that, and a whole lot more, Peters replied."Tell Coop I thought he knew us," the All-Pro cornerback said. "He said he played us two times a year... That's 12 times he played against me and [Talib]. I think he got strapped [on Saturday]."He had that TD, but he didn't do s---. I choked him out. He couldn't do nothin'. He was crying for his mama. "That's how he is. That's why theRaidersgot rid of him."He'd ultimately end his tirade with a smile."I'm just playing."

The Rams are now readying for an NFC Championship matchup with the New Orleans Saints, the first team to defeat Los Angeles in 2018 to the tune of 45-35 in Week 9. Peters became the focal point following that game as well, calling out head coach Asshole Face in an interview with the press.Tell Asshole Face to keep talking that s---," Peters said, via SI.com. "We going to see him soon, you feel me? Because I like what he was saying on the sidelines too. So tell him to keep talking that s---."I hope he see me soon, you feel me? Then we going to have a nice little bowl of gumbo together."He'd follow up his threat by announcing on Twitter "it's gumbo week" after advancing to the next playoff round, but he then immediately deleted the tweet.

Cooper has opted to not respond and Payton took the same road in dealing with Peters' antics, with the Saints readying to host the Rams on Jan. 20 for shot at heading to Atlanta for Super Bowl LIII. Despite the mouthiness, Peters is having the worst year of his NFL career statistically, and had just one tackle and one pass deflection against the Cowboys.Others were much more impactful on the outcome of the game, but they're not the ones talking.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He thinks Peters needs an elite high safety who is on the same page in order for his game to work, like he had in Eric Berry in KC. He said he would bet he has a much better year next year.

I think it's a combination of a bunch of things...

First, I don't believe he's known wtf he's doing half the time through the season and when Talib went down he was exposed. Instinctive players like him aren't the same when they're thinking.

Second, he also had to step up as our top cover option for 8 games when Talib was out, and given the above plus his history/tendency of being a freelancing SOB it was a recipe for disaster.

Third, he's definitely lost some juice in his well known makeup speed. He is not the same dude not sure if it's a bad offseason of prep, gettin old, being injured, etc.

And lastly, yes our safety play deep has been horrific, particularly when Talib was out it was like inmates runnin the asylum. It's crazy the difference you can clearly see, and having a safety who brings range, instincts, and who plays the call would definitely help when you have a corner who does wtf he wants regardless of the call.

Oh and I'm diggin that new avatar man nicely done! (y)

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
Peters is a character and he hasn't played very well, minus his couple picks this season, so it's easy for people to make a lot of assumptions about him and I get it, but like another poster said right now he's a Ram so I'm hoping he has his best game yet Sunday

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
right now he's a Ram so I'm hoping he has his best game yet Sunday
Absolutely. I would love nothing better than for him to have a great game. I would settle for him just not allowing his man to torch us. I keep thinking that he will turn it on and play like appeared to be playing when the season started. I think he has the physical skills. Maybe the leg injury slowed him? I don't know. I just want to see us shut down this offense like I believe they can. And Peters needs to be a big part of that.