Peters = Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I’m rewatching the Rams/gurlz game and I can’t help but consider the comparison between Peters and Watkins.

Peters doesn’t seem to get the coverages. Watkins was constantly having to have first year Ram players line him up.

Peters always seems to come to other players - both on our team and others - and get in their face. Watkins would many times act like the ball wasn’t where it was supposed to be or going to him.

I realize we have Peters for another season but I can’t help but think we look to upgrade and dispatch with his excuse mentality.

This is VERY much a we not me team and I can’t help but think his mentality is one this organization can and will do without.

I had GREAT not good hopes for the secondary of Talib and Peters. I even thought Peters was the biggest upgrade. Now he strikes me as Janoris without the lock down talent.

Sorry to say this, but, step the fuck up Marcus, and shut the fuck up until you do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade him after the season imo. He knows the coverages. He just thinks his stats are more important than the team. I'm tired of his half-assed tackle attempts. I'm tired of him giving zero effort when he doesn't feel like it. I'm tired of him vacating his assignment to freelance. I'm tired of him hanging other players out to dry. The guy is as gifted as anybody in the league, but he doesn't give a shit about his team.

I remember when Janoris was gambling like crazy. It made me mad, but Janoris at least reached a point where he realized that he could be a special CB if he stuck to his man like glue and played the ball in the air. I hoped that light would come on for Peters with this team. It hasn't. I don't know if it ever will.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, I'd deal him for a fourth, to be honest. (Coming soon to a mock draft near you!)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I remember when Janoris was gambling like crazy. It made me mad, but Janoris at least reached a point where he realized that he could be a special CB if he stuck to his man like glue and played the ball in the air. I hoped that light would come on for Peters with this team. It hasn't. I don't know if it ever will.
That's because Jenkins was a better corner. He was oftentimes the only corner playing man when we ran zone. Peters is never on the line in zone because, presumably, he can't be trusted in that role. They keep Peters off the line because - like in KC - he's better when everything's in front of him and he can read the QB & play the ball. But yeah, you're right. He doesn't care about playing sound fundamental ball and playing within the scheme. He just wants to make the splash play and leaves everyone else hanging out to dry when he reads things wrong and freelances. You KNOW Wade has addressed it too. How could he not? And yet, Peters keeps putting forth the same effort. There's no room for that, and that's a shame. Because he definitely has the talent.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Great comparison, both gave tremendous athletic ability but lack the knowledge and awareness.

I thought peters was possibly the best corner in the leauge, not so much anymore

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Marcus Peters is free-lancing too much and his pride and ego will hurt the Rams. It's best the Rams part ways with him after this season because he's not that good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's because Jenkins was a better corner. He was oftentimes the only corner playing man when we ran zone. Peters is never on the line in zone because, presumably, he can't be trusted in that role. They keep Peters off the line because - like in KC - he's better when everything's in front of him and he can read the QB & play the ball. But yeah, you're right. He doesn't care about playing sound fundamental ball and playing within the scheme. He just wants to make the splash play and leaves everyone else hanging out to dry when he reads things wrong and freelances. You KNOW Wade has addressed it too. How could he not? And yet, Peters keeps putting forth the same effort. There's no room for that, and that's a shame. Because he definitely has the talent.

Agreed. Peters has special natural ability. With his ballskills, football IQ, instincts, and natural talent, he could be a special CB if he wanted to be. He could very easily be a top 5 CB. The problem is that being great means understanding that it's not about you. It's about the team. It means understanding how to be special in the scheme and do the dirty work even when it won't glorify you. Peters isn't about that. He's only about himself. I've just had enough of the selfish play.

dang

Legend
I doubt anyone would trade for Peters and his $9m 5th year contract. If a 2nd round pick was offered that might be too tempting to turn down. So Plan B would be:

- Transition Talib to FS - he's a player
- Keep Peters one more year, keeping him under Talib's mentoring to see if he can turn it around
- Draft an elite CB with 1st round draft pick

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt anyone would trade for Peters and his $9m 5th year contract. If a 2nd round pick was offered that might be too tempting to turn down. So Plan B would be:

- Transition Talib to FS - he's a player
- Keep Peters one more year, keeping him under Talib's mentoring to see if he can turn it around
- Draft an elite CB with 1st round draft pick

I wouldn't move Talib unless he can't play CB. He's still a high-level CB right now. We can't afford to lose him there.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Honestly, what is there to like about this guy. Selfish, me not we player. Constantly blows assignments, and it's not because he doesn't know the assignments, it's because he's selfish. If anyone really believes he didn't know he had the deep third on the long pass to Amari Cooper last week, then you must think Peters is dumber than a rock! You know he's been coached up on this, but again see problem numero uno, HE's SELFISH. Then you have the fact that he likes to commit personal fouls at the worst of times and seems to always be the reason the other team is streaking back into a game. Oh yeah, then there's the fact that he went into the stands to confront an eagles fan...WTH is that. Of course he couldn't even let us win with dignity on Saturday by starting a fight with Amari Cooper after the game was over so that it could be put on national TV. I also think his lazy tackling has rubbed off on the rest of the secondary.

I know it doesn't really make good roster building sense, you feel me, but if we could just cut him, you feel me, that would be great, you feel me.

His ass better be on the opposite side of the field from Michael Thomas next Sunday. If he is anywhere close to him I will loose my mind!

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Watched the game again as well. He hangs the safety out to dry multiple times. Even Buck and Aikman commented on it. Just watching him, he left guys open a lot. If he does this Sunday, Brees will toast his a$$

Ellard80

Legend
Thing that people don't realize about Peters is that he is not that fast... he is a big physical corner who matches up, bodies and grabs.

That being said he has been piss poor for much of this season.. I watch him and have no clue what the fuck he is doing sometimes.

Make eat crow Pete....

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
If game planning for the Rams I would multiple double moves planned against him...mix in the QB staring the receiver down or with a pump fake.
He is like the Jackrabbit without the discipline.....haha.
I loath a guy who runs his mouth and can't play.
At this point I would trade him for almost anything just to be rid of him.
Maybe he can come up big vs New Orleans.
He has the WR diva routine down pat.

Psycho_X

Legend
I would love to be a fly on the wall in a defensive backs meeting. We know how vocal Peters and Joyner can both be on their own, if it is Peters usually free lancing that is making Joyner look so bad I’d think there’d be a boiling point eventually.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
With all that being said, he's still a step above Watkins. Watkins is still struggling in KC, and Peters is a former All-Pro.

I wonder what's going on in the locker room. His teammates support him, including Gurley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've wanted him gone for most of the season. Me not We player and don't buy in to the team spin control they might well boot his @$$ after this run.

Him playing well in the next game or two is my hope. That might get some trade interest going.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
With all that being said, he's still a step above Watkins. Watkins is still struggling in KC, and Peters is a former All-Pro.

I wonder what's going on in the locker room. His teammates support him, including Gurley.

The fact that his teammates still believe in him is why you can't trade him. They know how it works. You can't give up on a play maker like this. Players with his ball hawking ability will get beat sometimes and they won't be super consistent and they will make bad plays. Who are we going to replace him with? We don't exactly have anyone right now, and I don't know if we have the ability in the first to pick up someone who can be better then him right now. No one will trade a lot for him, you'd literally be selling low on a player. It's worth the risk that he turns it around as long as the teammates like him and can stand by him.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Thing that people don't realize about Peters is that he is not that fast... he is a big physical corner who matches up, bodies and grabs.

That being said he has been tick poor for much of this season.. I watch him and have no clue what the freak he is doing sometimes.

Make eat crow Pete....
Peters is far from physical. His tackling has been pis poor all season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It will be interesting to see if Peters uses the Payton comments to motivate himself to play to the best of his ability, or if he is just motivated to fight.

It will also be interesting to see what the decision is with Peters this off season. Keep, trade, cut.