Pete Carroll out as Seahawks HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
2 things I think of when Cheat Carroll is mentioned...The rampant cheating at USC and the time he used the Rams as leverage to get better contract with the Jets...(or was it NE?...one of them...)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With Carroll out, and Belichick potentially done in New England, Sean McVay could start next year tied for the 4th longest tenured head coach in the NFL, behind Mike Tomlin (17) years, John Harbaugh (16 years) and Andy Reid (11 years), and tied with Mike Shanahan and Sean McDermott.
There's been rumors of Tomlin being tired and wanting a break as well. Would not surprise me if he steps down after they get eliminated this round.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Being a Head Coach for 14 straight seasons, for the same team, is quite the achievement in this league.

Pete should walk away with his head held high.

Let’s hope they botch his replacement.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Carroll out, and Belichick potentially done in New England, Sean McVay could start next year tied for the 4th longest tenured head coach in the NFL, behind Mike Tomlin (17) years, John Harbaugh (16 years) and Andy Reid (11 years), and tied with Mike Shanahan and Sean McDermott.
And still the youngest....

PARAM

Hall of Fame
And still the youngest....
I heard an interesting discussion today after the news about Carroll. Young is the way to go. Carroll defenders were saying they shouldn't have parted ways.

But he's just 25-26 the last 3 years with 1 playoff appearance and that shouldn't have been if the officiating didn't absolutely suck.

Someone said, "he earned the right to leave when he wanted to retire" and then someone chimed in, "really? If you leave that up to Carroll....or Belichick.....they'd be coaching when they're 80."

Shula was canned. Landry was canned. And if those guys can get canned certainly Carroll can be fired.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shula was canned. Landry was canned. And if those guys can get canned certainly Carroll can be fired.
Big difference though, Pete coming off back to back winning seasons, and 11 winning seasons in last 12. Landry had 3 straight losing seasons and a 3-13 final year, it was time to go. Shula retired. As for Petey, when they dumped Wilson and replaced him with Geno Smith, I though for sure they were tanking for the #1 overall pick. But they kept winning.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Pete is still part of the organization just not a HC anymore. They still may be a threat.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
That would be a kickass avatar if it was Rams colors.
S0TNu.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Very cool thx. Since I like to change my avatar I've been meaning to try to figure out how to get animated gifs to work but never got around to it. This one I saved to the drive but it doesn't animate.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'll give Carroll his props for what he did at Seattle...but dude really lost my respect when he ran out on USC. I'm way over here in Memphis and that just really rubbed me entirely the wrong way. Every time I see dude, it's the first thing that comes to mind.

oldnotdead

Legend
Pete milked it for as long as he could. He's not a bad coach but not a great one either. Why should anyone be surprised?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Big difference though, Pete coming off back to back winning seasons, and 11 winning seasons in last 12. Landry had 3 straight losing seasons and a 3-13 final year, it was time to go. Shula retired. As for Petey, when they dumped Wilson and replaced him with Geno Smith, I though for sure they were tanking for the #1 overall pick. But they kept winning.
I still think the wildest firing was of Marty Schottenheimer by the Renters after a 14-2 season.

oldnotdead

Legend
I still think the wildest firing was of Marty Schottenheimer by the Renters after a 14-2 season.

I lived in SD back then. What the media never picked up on was how Shottenheimer forced his firing. He was in a contentious relationship with the GM AJ Smith. Shottenheimer wanted to be both HC and GM. He made it a matter of me or him. He tried to hire his brother as OC a violation of franchise rules put in place by Dean Spanos of all people where his entire family is employed by the Chargers. Dean saw him as a threat, so he told Smith to fire him which Smith gladly did.

Marty destroyed his own NFL career with that stunt. As far as I know he never worked again in the NFL as he was deemed "untouchable" as too much of an ego maniac (which he was). He wasn't very popular in San Diego with the fanbase, he was only liked by the media who he sucked up to constantly.

dang

Legend
Never had a problem with Carroll. Never liked losing to him but Kinda respected his enthusiasm. Same with Wilson (as awkward as he was in public sometimes).

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member

7 years having a team you can honestly have faith will win more than they lose. That hasn't sucked at all. Damn Steelers fans are spoiled.

Side thought.....I realize "tenured" is the same post with same organization, but it is impressive what Andy Reid is doing. Between Philly and KC he's maintained a post as an NFL Head coach for 24 consecutive years,.