Overreaction Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
But again, I can't tell if it's scheme or ineptitude.

What defense is Morris calling?

It almost looks like they play prevent defense all the time and never press.

Defense is definitely not my area of expertise so I'm seriously asking for answers here.

Yes! The cushion the corners give up would definitely be a coaching call...but also...
- Rapp getting consistently beat deep...
- Long and Young taking turns giving up catches on 100% of their targets...

Those guys consistently stand out in coverage and not in a good way IMO...

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
The thing that frustrated me most about young is watching him in goaline situation follow our dlineman into
the exact same gap, while the ball carrier runs right through the gap young should have been
in. result- TD.
This is pop warner stuff.
Would much rather see Jones playing obvious run downs. he has a nose that young doesn't

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
All in all... unfortunately... I don't think we are overreacting to this loss. I think this loss was kind of a big deal.

Not for the offense, mind you-- I think Stafford and Kupp both had "off" days, which happens. And the OL was again excellent. The O will be just fine.

The D, on the other hand, was worrisome. A lot of posters have been complaining about soft zones and Morris' unwillingness or inability to adapt... and unfortunately this loss exposed that they might be right. And both Rapp and (especially) Long are concerning liabilities.

I think we'll be pissed and ready for the Hawks. And the Giants, Texans, and Lions are all beatable even if the Rams aren't playing well. So we should be fine for a few weeks.

The big question comes in the second half of the season, when the schedule gets tougher. Cann the Rams D improve enough to be legit contenders? We'll see.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All in all... unfortunately... I don't think we are overreacting to this loss. I think this loss was kind of a big deal.

Not for the offense, mind you-- I think Stafford and Kupp both had "off" days, which happens. And the OL was again excellent. The O will be just fine.

The D, on the other hand, was worrisome. A lot of posters have been complaining about soft zones and Morris' unwillingness or inability to adapt... and unfortunately this loss exposed that they might be right. And both Rapp and (especially) Long are concerning liabilities.

I think we'll be pissed and ready for the Hawks. And the Giants, Texans, and Lions are all beatable even if the Rams aren't playing well. So we should be fine for a few weeks.

The big question comes in the second half of the season, when the schedule gets tougher. Cann the Rams D improve enough to be legit contenders? We'll see.
We just beat the Super Bowl Champions, who were also undefeated, until we beat their ass. I think this was a letdown in concentration , focus, etc... The questions about the defense wouldn't be an issue if the offense was as effective last week as in the the previous three before that. The loss was a big deal because it was a divisional game, but not because we got "exposed" or some other bullshyte like that. The Rams are better than the Cards and no one will be able convince me differently, but we have to wait to prove it which pisses me the F*ck off.
*steps off soap box.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The thing that frustrated me most about young is watching him in goaline situation follow our dlineman into
the exact same gap, while the ball carrier runs right through the gap young should have been
in. result- TD.
This is pop warner stuff.
Would much rather see Jones playing obvious run downs. he has a nose that young doesn't
unfortunately for all his speed Young guesses wrong way to often. Makes me more worried about Morris decision making. This along with his shitty scheme is a complete clusterfuck. I hope he figures it out but I have serious doubts when you take into account his past record as a DC.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think this was a letdown in concentration , focus, etc... The questions about the defense wouldn't be an issue if the offense was as effective last week as in the the previous three before that.

Respectfully disagree.

A lot of posters have commented that the Rams failed to game plan to CONTAIN for Murray, and that sure seemed true to me. Murray often had a ton of room to roam along the sidelines. IMHO that's a failure of game planning, not a letdown of concentration.

And yeah, I'd have to say Long was picked on a lot, and Rapp doesn't seem as good at defending long passes as he does in the box. Valid points IMHO.

Lastly, I'd disagree that if the O were great, we wouldn't be questioning the D. If we won 38-37, I'd still be concerned about the D. I really didn't have much faith that the Rams D could bottle up the O at any point last Sunday. It wasn't an aberration... the D sure has given up a lot of yards in all 4 games.

I'd like to think these issues are fixable. McVay is capable of spending more time on D and helping out Morris a bit. And I'm in favor of Rochell getting some snaps over Long. And either Rapp can be utilized better, or perhaps Burgess or Hughes could get reps to see what they can do.

Anyway, I "wish" these problems were simply a lack of focus, but IMHO there are some legit problems on D that need to be addressed.

And finally... even if we disagree here and there, keep flexin' those muscles and rooting for our Rams! :thumbsup1:

jacktheripper85

Starter
As smart as McVay is he still makes moves game wise and personnel wise that makes you shake your head.

Team is lighting it up on the ground and he decides to pass every down. (Long track record of doing this)

Trades a boatload of picks for Stafford because he feels like the Super Bowl window is now and doesn’t think Goff has what it takes to get the team over the hump and than proceeds to hire a DC with a so so track record that needs to be taught on the job.

Realky don’t get this guy sometimes.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
the D sure has given up a lot of yards in all 4 games.
1581 yards this year...92 points
1423 yards last year....80 points

7 garbage points to Brady as well as 75 garbage yards...other than that not a huge difference. And last year, if it weren't for a terrific DWill pick against the Giants it would be even closer. A play here, a play there. The D wasn't setting the world on fire in 2020 to start the season. Difference is our offense should get better, not worse

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
As smart as McVay is he still makes moves game wise and personnel wise that makes you shake your head.

Team is lighting it up on the ground and he decides to pass every down. (Long track record of doing this)

Trades a boatload of picks for Stafford because he feels like the Super Bowl window is now and doesn’t think Goff has what it takes to get the team over the hump and than proceeds to hire a DC with a so so track record that needs to be taught on the job.

Not McVay's fault that his teams have been so good that our coaches get raided every damn year.

Staley was a fantastic hire, then got snatched away.

We lost seven, seven (!) coaches last year. Agreed there are some concerns about Morris, but I'm not sure there were a lot of great choices to choose from out there.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
1581 yards this year...92 points
1423 yards last year....80 points

7 garbage points to Brady as well as 75 garbage yards...other than that not a huge difference. And last year, if it weren't for a terrific DWill pick against the Giants it would be even closer. A play here, a play there. The D wasn't setting the world on fire in 2020 to start the season. Difference is our offense should get better, not worse
Well, as we all know, the D tightened up a great deal last year after the first four games.

And yeah, I think there will be a lot of kumbaya here after we mop up against crappy teams like the Giants, Lions, and Texans. Real test will be in the second half.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
A lot of blame on the defense. There isn't enough talent on the defense for it to be good. We are not going to have a good defense. Last season was a mirage. They are playing to their abilities for the most part.

If the offense plays up to its talent level the defense will hold their own which is all we need. This hurry up offense by McVay is killing this team.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
The fact is, we got beat by a good team. We're also a good team. Good teams do get beat by other good teams. They just have to move on and focus on the next game. The only way they make this loss worse than it is would be if they let it affect them.
Rams had a bad day against a gimmick team

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of blame on the defense. There isn't enough talent on the defense for it to be good. We are not going to have a good defense. Why continue criticizing the unit? They are playing to their abilities for the most part. What more can they do?

If the offense plays up to its talent level the defense will hold their own which is all we need. This hurry up offense by McVay is killing this team.

there isn't enough talent? it's almost the same talent as last season.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well, as we all know, the D tightened up a great deal last year after the first four games.

And yeah, I think there will be a lot of kumbaya here after we mop up against crappy teams like the Giants, Lions, and Texans. Real test will be in the second half.
Well hopefully by then, the D (& Morris) will have it figured out. Kumbaya is good anytime there's a W.

Anyway, it's not as bad as it seems to some.
We stopped Chicago when we had to stop them.
We limited Indy to 1 offensive TD.
We beat the Champs and allowed them 17 points before playing deep quarters and allowing Brady to go 88 yards in 14 plays (all short) eating up 3:40 of the 4:50 left in a 17 point game (prior to the TD).
Then we shat the bed vs Arizona but so did the offense (we had a garbage time TD to get to 20) making it a total team effort.
We knew this stuff would happen over a long season. So what? Forget all they accomplished in the first 3 weeks and make some heads roll? That wreaks of desperation, when desperation is the last thing we need.

They need to forget this stinker, go into Seattle and play like they did the first 3 weeks. Not an easy ask either in that stadium. Let's see what happens.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Bill Hader Midgets GIF by Saturday Night Live

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyway, it's not as bad as it seems to some.
We stopped Chicago when we had to stop them.
We limited Indy to 1 offensive TD.
We beat the Champs and allowed them 17 points before playing deep quarters and allowing Brady to go 88 yards in 14 plays (all short) eating up 3:40 of the 4:50 left in a 17 point game (prior to the TD).
Then we shat the bed vs Arizona but so did the offense (we had a garbage time TD to get to 20) making it a total team effort.
We knew this stuff would happen over a long season. So what? Forget all they accomplished in the first 3 weeks and make some heads roll? That wreaks of desperation, when desperation is the last thing we need.

They need to forget this stinker, go into Seattle and play like they did the first 3 weeks. Not an easy ask either in that stadium. Let's see what happens.

Thats the way I see it.

There are things about the D I’d like changed, but let’s see what happens. It’s an offense league. We had a few frustrations defensively last year too.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Thats the way I see it.

There are things about the D I’d like changed, but let’s see what happens. It’s an offense league. We had a few frustrations defensively last year too.
Just hope the team can pull together and beat Seattle. That will give McVay and Morris three extra days to consider how to tune up or fix the D. Doubt they have time to make significant changes before a Thursday game, though they could call it differently and that would help.

What concerns me is that Wilson is the best deep thrower off long scrambles ever. He will toast us if we can't get both pressure and downfield coverage consistently and deep into scramble drills.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just hope the team can pull together and beat Seattle. That will give McVay and Morris three extra days to consider how to tune up or fix the D. Doubt they have time to make significant changes before a Thursday game, though they could call it differently and that would help.

What concerns me is that Wilson is the best deep thrower off long scrambles ever. He will toast us if we can't get both pressure and downfield coverage consistently and deep into scramble drills.

Yeah. I hear you, FarNorth. I like to talk crap about Seattle, but I respect them as a team that can beat us, just as easily as we can beat them.

Wilson is a handful. Metcalf and Lockett are studs.

I don’t like the fact we are coming off a loss. I don’t like the fact they just got a big divisional road win. These dynamics all favor Seattle.

But… we’re damn good. The Rams have some real pros and they can’t feel good about last Sunday. Fortunes turn on a few big plays. Let’s hope we come out and make them.

:horns:

sloramfan

Starter
quoting jackthe ripper .."hires a defensive coordinater that needs to be taught on the job...

that says it all... go to work mcvay....

go rams

slo

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I've mentioned before that I couldn't believe that McVay didn't slow the game down by running the ball some and grinding it out to cool the cardinals red hot offense down in the first half.
Result;
2 three-and-outs where they decide to pass the ball six times?

Worst game management coaching/ play calling I've seen in a long time.

When the other team is hot on offense, the best way to slow them down is a long time consuming drive.

On both of our three-and-outs they scored a touchdown.

Game pretty much over.

There's nothing wrong with having confidence in your passing game but come on.