Ot Greg Robinson Wows At Weigh-in

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
We aren't going to see eye to eye on this one Boffo, but philosophically can you explain to me why the LT is so much more important than the other 4 O-line positions? I think a lot of teams are asking themselves this question internally, and that's why we see a draft like we did last year, where it doesn't really matter where you play on the O-line, if you're talented you get drafted high. As defensive schemes get more complicated so are protection schemes and the days of your best pass protector at LT and their best pass rusher at RE/ROLB all game long are over, imo.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
We aren't going to see eye to eye on this one Boffo, but philosophically can you explain to me why the LT is so much more important than the other 4 O-line positions? I think a lot of teams are asking themselves this question internally, and that's why we see a draft like we did last year, where it doesn't really matter where you play on the O-line, if you're talented you get drafted high. As defensive schemes get more complicated so are protection schemes and the days of your best pass protector at LT and their best pass rusher at RE/ROLB all game long are over, imo.
One of the pro-Robinson guys even said it... the skill set and physical needs to be a good LT are comparatively rare to what it takes at the other positions. For example, anyone taking a pure Center with the #2 pick would get laughed out of the draft.

It's easy to declare something that's been true for a while as "antiquated" (like I see proclamations that pure pocket passers are passe [alliteration!] all the time, and I don't believe that either). But until I see Jeff "Doesn't draft linemen high" Fisher buck both the conventional wisdom and his own trend, I'm not going to believe it.

If we thought Long was just a 2 year solution at LT, it was a horrible signing. And drafting a new tackle sends that very message.

I just can't see drafting a project tackle as any sort of Top Ten Pick level need when we already have a tackle. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick one, I'd pick Matthews. But I'm hoping for Watkins.

jjab360

Legend
One of the pro-Robinson guys even said it... the skill set and physical needs to be a good LT are comparatively rare to what it takes at the other positions. For example, anyone taking a pure Center with the #2 pick would get laughed out of the draft.

It's easy to declare something that's been true for a while as "antiquated" (like I see proclamations that pure pocket passers are passe [alliteration!] all the time, and I don't believe that either). But until I see Jeff "Doesn't draft linemen high" Fisher buck both the conventional wisdom and his own trend, I'm not going to believe it.

If we thought Long was just a 2 year solution at LT, it was a horrible signing. And drafting a new tackle sends that very message.

I just can't see drafting a project tackle as any sort of Top Ten Pick level need when we already have a tackle. If you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick one, I'd pick Matthews. But I'm hoping for Watkins.
Your whole thinking is based on drafting because of what other people think and what history tells you to do. I'm thinking in terms of what actually helps your team the most, we're on two completely different sides of the fence. And no, it's not the same thing as saying pocket passers are done in the NFL. It's more comparable to saying that running QBs have been given a validity that they didn't have before.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Your whole thinking is based on drafting because of what other people think and what history tells you to do. I'm thinking in terms of what actually helps your team the most, we're on two completely different sides of the fence. And no, it's not the same thing as saying pocket passers are done in the NFL. It's more comparable to saying that running QBs have been given a validity that they didn't have before.
I'm also thinking in terms of what helps the team most. I just think that a #1 WR does more to help than an extra left tackle drafted at #2 does.

If we didn't have Jake Long, it'd be an entirely different story. And yes, Jake Long will be done sooner than later, but not now.

It's just a different opinion. And it's okay and entirely rational and understanding of the situation to have a different opinion. Neither of us gets a vote anyway.

jjab360

Legend
I'm also thinking in terms of what helps the team most. I just think that a #1 WR does more to help than an extra left tackle drafted at #2 does.

If we didn't have Jake Long, it'd be an entirely different story. And yes, Jake Long will be done sooner than later, but not now.

It's just a different opinion. And it's okay and entirely rational and understanding of the situation to have a different opinion. Neither of us gets a vote anyway.
Pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. There are 5 O-line positions. A dominant player at any of these positions is going to make a huge impact. What you're saying makes about as much sense as having a great WR and then passing on another great WR because they'd just be an extra #1 receiver.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. There are 5 O-line positions. A dominant player at any of these positions is going to make a huge impact. What you're saying makes about as much sense as having a great WR and then passing on another great WR because they'd just be an extra #1 receiver.
But you can and generally do get great right tackles and guards later.

You're arguing as if it's a given that all 5 OL positions are equally important (or at least guards and tackles). I don't agree with that position. I did notice you didn't address the argument that anyone taking a pure Center #2 would be laughed out of the draft.

That said, teams DO get criticized for already having a #1 WR and drafting another one. Look at Atlanta when Julio Jones was drafted. It's only because he really worked out that it looked smart.

And I've said all along that if Robinson (or Matthews) looks like they'll be special AND Watkins doesn't appear to be, go ahead and draft the OT. If we pick Robinson and he ends up a bust, then we look twice foolish though for having a bust AND taking a redundant pick.

jjab360

Legend
Atlanta got criticized because they gave up a ton in the trade, not because it was a redundant pick. Fact is, you can have a number of weapons just like you can have a number of good linemen.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Atlanta got criticized because they gave up a ton in the trade, not because it was a redundant pick. Fact is, you can have a number of weapons just like you can have a number of good linemen.
I would agree with both, but I still don't think that justifies taking someone at #2 when he's not going to start at LT.

You disagree, and that's fine. But it's dangerous to assume that you have THE TRUTH, and the people who disagree with it just can't understand.

I don't have THE TRUTH either. Ultimately, the Rams have it (at least in a strictly pragmatic sense), so we'll see what they do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But you can and generally do get great right tackles and guards later.

You're arguing as if it's a given that all 5 OL positions are equally important (or at least guards and tackles). I don't agree with that position. I did notice you didn't address the argument that anyone taking a pure Center #2 would be laughed out of the draft.

That said, teams DO get criticized for already having a #1 WR and drafting another one. Look at Atlanta when Julio Jones was drafted. It's only because he really worked out that it looked smart.

And I've said all along that if Robinson (or Matthews) looks like they'll be special AND Watkins doesn't appear to be, go ahead and draft the OT. If we pick Robinson and he ends up a bust, then we look twice foolish though for having a bust AND taking a redundant pick.

Ok...but what are the odds that Robinson is a total bust? The kid shows elite power on tape and a strong anchor so odds are if he doesn't work out at OT, he can kick inside and be an awesome OG. That is, unless, he busts due to character issues or injuries.

jjab360

Legend
I would agree with both, but I still don't think that justifies taking someone at #2 when he's not going to start at LT.

You disagree, and that's fine. But it's dangerous to assume that you have THE TRUTH, and the people who disagree with it just can't understand.

I don't have THE TRUTH either. Ultimately, the Rams have it (at least in a strictly pragmatic sense), so we'll see what they do.
Only player I'd take no.2 overall in this draft is Clowney, personally. I never claimed to have the all knowing truth that other people don't understand, just a strong opinion.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Ok...but what are the odds that Robinson is a total bust? The kid shows elite power on tape and a strong anchor so odds are if he doesn't work out at OT, he can kick inside and be an awesome OG. That is, unless, he busts due to character issues or injuries.
That's essentially what Robert Gallery did. Don't most consider him a bust?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, I am not down with staying at #2 and not selecting one of the top two talents in this draft. Which likely means Clowney.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's essentially what Robert Gallery did. Don't most consider him a bust?

He's considered a bust because he wasn't a good OG either. Bad OT. Average OG. So yea...if Robinson is a bad OT and an average OG. He's a bust.

But if he's a bad/average OT and an elite OG...like Leonard Davis. I'll be perfectly ok with that. Especially with the rookie contracts set so much lower now.

jap

Legend
Greg Robinson and Rams met on Thursday night for an interview session. So there is interest.

. . . or it's just a smoke screen if they are not interested. In either event they need to know the guy if they want draft him or sell the pick for more picks.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
WOW.. dude just ran an unofficial 4.88 40-yard dash.. 1.69 10-yard dash on his first attempt:eek::eek:

Just a physhical freak

Last edited:

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
lol yea I got too excited. Edited, thank you!(y)

He's about to run his second one.. and... 4.84 40 yard dash.. 1.68 10 yr dash :eek::eek::eek:

Jeezus, what a beast for a kid his size!! Trying not to let the combine numbers sway my personal preference, but right now I got Robinson the clear favorite for our pick at 4 :D