PREGAME On to Jacksonville

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Get to 8-4 and see if we can gain some momentum....

Im not giving up hope

Yup.

But you know the second the game is over and the Rams W there will be "its just the Jaguars" comments.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I was stunned to hear that the Rams opened at -15 1/2...I wouldn't give 15+ on the Rams against anybody in the NFL right now, the way they have tossed chunks the past 3 weeks...Would be nice though...I can say that (and I don't ever remember saying this): I fully expect them to get by the Jags, but should they crap themselves this week, I will have to close up my playoff tent for this year...I'll retire briefly to my "room of pain" now for a self-served flogging...

Sorry... couldn't stay away as much as I need to. Was hoping to just lurk and yeet...

Rams at -15.5??? Yeah, I'm glad to the marrow of my bones that I promised my wife I wouldn't gamble because with that, I'd be betting my house and borrowing money to boot. I picked the Jags in the Pick'em. I can't UNSEE the structural issues.

I feel a little like freaking Rainman and I don't like it. It's great when I worked and IRL, but when I see things like this with the Rams... it's usually NO BUENO!

We may win... I have serious doubts as we tend to be even MORE passive at home AND games like this are exactly the kinds of games we've lost the last few years (those Jets and Miami games last year still haunt me), but we may win.

The idea that with OBJ still learning the offense, Stafford not admitting to injury (by the way, if the league finds out he has been injured, expect repercussions from that) and not playing well and McVay's bizarre play calling and abandonment of the run game... there is almost NO WAY we win by such a large margin.

As with all our games recently, we'll know how the game is gonna go in the 1st quarter... but 15.5 pt favorites? Do the Jags have Matt Schaub at QB???

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams will win big. I'm not sure they will cover the 15 point spread... but they will win and it won't even be close. I know they've played like sheet the past 3 games, but they are due, and the Jags are the perfect opponent to regain some confidence, even if it is for just a week.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
The Rams will win big. I'm not sure they will cover the 15 point spread... but they will win and it won't even be close. I know they've played like sheet the past 3 games, but they are due, and the Jags are the perfect opponent to regain some confidence, even if it is for just a week.

The Jags just beat the Bills 9-6.

They have a D that can and likely will give our struggling offense a ton of trouble.

A game is about matchups of scheme and personnel. With Fisher, we weren't good, but gave the Seahawks and the 9ers FITS because our defensive scheme and personnel were tough for them.

There are things we COULD do to make the game much easier... but we won't. We won't all of a sudden adhere to the run and then run play action off of that. We won't abandon the structurally inept Morris 4-3 hybrid defense which is based on the patterns I see WORSE than the Schottenheimer offense was under Fisher. Stafford isn't gonna get healthier or stop throwing behind 5 yard crossing patterns.

Expecting anything less than a dogfight just ignores where the two teams are at this point.

Rams are struggling in every facet of the game. There isn't a single unit that's over performing or holding it down while the others get it together.

The Jags are inconsistent, but they've beaten Dallas in Dallas by 20, beat Miami and beat the Bills while holding THAT offense to 6 points.

Vegas is smart at getting people's money and I'm sure they'll make a killing on this because so many can't see how vulnerable the Rams are right now and they will apply their little bit of Fantasy Football knowledge to wager on the team game that is football and that's why Vegas loves Football the most.

I hope we win, even if it's in spite of all the crap going on.

But 15.5 points? That's just an insane amount for any NFL game, let alone in favor of a team struggling as much as the Rams are.

I hope they drop 50 on the Jags and really clean out the pipes for a late season run, but I've seen nothing to indicate that's what's on tap.

So... anything good will be a surprise. I shall hope for the best, but I no longer have any expectations without significant changes to the Rams doing things business as usual.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup.

But you know the second the game is over and the Rams W there will be "its just the Jaguars" comments.
It doesn't matter what anybody says, take the win and our thoughts are on kicking Arizona's ass on MNF.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I was stunned to hear that the Rams opened at -15 1/2...I wouldn't give 15+ on the Rams against anybody in the NFL right now, the way they have tossed chunks the past 3 weeks...Would be nice though...I can say that (and I don't ever remember saying this): I fully expect them to get by the Jags, but should they crap themselves this week, I will have to close up my playoff tent for this year...I'll retire briefly to my "room of pain" now for a self-served flogging...
If I were a betting man, I’d take the Jags and the points on that bet.

TexasRam

Legend
It doesn't matter what anybody says, take the win and our thoughts are on kicking Arizona's ass on MNF.
It is possible that - against all odds - Morris decides to put Ramsey on Hopkins which shuts him down and then Miller not only has a sack party vs the midget but also plays contain on the edge unlike Floyd did. I also see a scenario where Stafford plays with ball security and we find a way to run the ball with Sony. Miracles do happen.

The Ramowl

Starter
I don't bet against my team, it just ruins the game for me to have a reason to like the opposition, but -15.5 is insane. I don't think it will stay there.

A season sometimes is about momentum. We have the time to regather momentum before the playoffs with some key wins. Inversely it's absolutely possible that Arizona loses steam by the end of the season, it happened to us before. We'll see. I'd say Arizona has a 80% chance of winning the division, but if we beat Jax and then beat AZ at home, anything is possible.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is a reason McVay is undefeated when leading at the half....to me that is the key, get ahead and we typically stay ahead.

Ding Ding…

I love things that stand out as an outlier… something to point at and question…

Why are we so good, when leading at the half? What is happening that we can be flawless, almost dominating, in games with the lead? And in games without the lead, we are generally in a dog fight.

Figure that out. Whatever THAT is… And.. that’s the key to more consistent play.

It’s an odd stat. There is something that makes us that way. What is it?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
My two cents would be the Rams were a top 5 or maybe 6 offense with time of possession last year, a Defense’s best friend, this year they are near rock bottom in time of possession

At some point, that’s gotta change

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup.

I hear ya, but I enjoy every win. I sat thru numerous losses during the Rich Brooks, Linehan, Spags days not to enjoy a Rams W on Sunday.

That being said we gotta get the W. Snap out of it boys!!!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Ding Ding…

I love things that stand out as an outlier… something to point at and question…

Why are we so good, when leading at the half? What is happening that we can be flawless, almost dominating, in games with the lead? And in games without the lead, we are generally in a dog fight.

Figure that out. Whatever THAT is… And.. that’s the key to more consistent play.

It’s an odd stat. There is something that makes us that way. What is it?

I got what I think is a pretty good answer.

When the Rams lead at the half, it means the other team is down. THEY typically become one dimensional trying to overtake us which allows our team to get after the QB as teams try for longer developing routes. Time isn't their friend.

McVay also leans much more on the run to run out the clock and deny the other team chances to catch us.

Notice any similarities? Other teams are just doing that in the first half on us, letting us become one dimensional and then attack our offense. All you have to do to get McVay to abandon the run is to stuff the run early. He's super fickle about the run... in the first half. But with a lead... he's super disciplined about sticking with it. I dunno the internal disconnect he has, but that's what we see on the field.

Also, and I HATE to bring this up as I'm a Stafford guy, but if by the second possession, he's not on... he's just not gonna be on. With Goff, you could tell from the jump. If he was shit early, he was shit all day, but he did tend to get us those early leads... and this entire roster is based around getting those early leads.

McVay hasn't done a nearly good enough job focusing on getting those early leads especially by using sustained drives.

Is Stafford too injured to play under center and do the run/play action game that McVay has been so successful at? Honestly, I think if you ask Stafford to play using the Goff playbook, this is an entirely different offense. Let him get acclimated and just manage the game. This hero ball stuff is for the birds. I'll take a 10 play 79 yard drive for a TD over a single explosive play every day of the week, presuming there's time.

But yeah, the TL;dr of it is that McVay only sticks with the run with a lead and we haven't been able to get the lead due to poor offensive execution early and costly turnovers these past 3 games.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well reading above I’ll add to CGI’s question.

What’s up with his play sheet.Just asking because I found myself not knowing this answer until I heard & saw a play call that has started this Lossing streak.

A question on a question with maybe a dumb answer & a question. I don’t know if anyone’s following me,but that could be my paranoia.

Truth is I have a different opinion now on Mcvay’s control freak ways.

Saying his offense is his offense & never knew he called plays this way.
It’s funny as well as Shanahan & Leblanc both sort of own him right now.
I’m going to have to say Stafford doesn’t read the field like Goff did under Mcvay.The game plan is sort of different. I think it would be cool if The Rams we’re like Madden & you could plug in Goff or against Green Bay Bryce Perkins.

The simple question is about Mcvay’s first half vs 2nd half play calling.

Simple answer is there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Jalen Ramsey "grateful" for time with Jaguars, but focused on present​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – They were the team that drafted him fifth overall in 2016 and he began his NFL career with, before eventually trading him to the Rams midway through the 2019 season.

But when the Jaguars visit SoFi Stadium on Sunday, it will be just like any other game for cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

"It's cool. It's part of my journey," Ramsey said after Thursday's practice. "I'm grateful for my time there but I'm here now happy to be here. It is what it is."

Part of the reason the matchup doesn't carry as much weight is because of the turnover in the Jaguars organization since Ramsey was traded.

Jacksonville parted ways with head coach Doug Marrone following the 2020 season and replaced him with Urban Meyer. The changes extended to the front office as well, with David Caldwell – the general manager who drafted Ramsey and traded him to Los Angeles – being replaced by Trent Baalke after last season. Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin was dismissed following the 2019 season.

From a roster standpoint, personnel changes have also left few remaining connections to Jaguars players from Ramsey's time with the club.

"I don't really know much people there no more," Ramsey said. "They've got a whole new organization, I only know probably five people on the team and I don't really even be talking to them like that. I only really talk to like two of them."

In the two years since that trade, Ramsey has logged 100 total tackles, five interceptions and 23 pass breakups in 35 games, earning the third and fourth Pro Bowl nods of his career as well as his second Associated Press First Team All-Pro selection.

Rams head coach Sean McVay has seen Ramsey always be "an elite, shutdown corner that affected the game in a variety of ways" and continue to naturally mature and grow as a leader during that time.

"(He's a) special player, special person," McVay said. "I think the thing that I've really noticed about Jalen, he cares a lot about the people that he's around. He goes out of his way to really help, to share, he cares about his teammates, he cares about winning. That's the one thing is he's demanding. He's a great, elite competitor. He's got one of the best gameday demeanors of anybody I've ever been around in terms of a fearlessness, but a confidence. He's got a controlled aggression during the course of games that I think is really impressive. And then he's bringing people with him, like I've mentioned.

That approach is why Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris doesn't expect this week's game to have any sort of emotional impact.

"To be absolutely honest, I've watched him develop so much in his short time here," Morris said. "To watch his demeanor and how it was last week, going to play a great player like (Packers wide receiver) Davante (Adams), you think it would change and it would be different and out of control, and it wasn't. It was a calm, leader, player. He's been kind of steady and easy throughout the season. I think some of the different responsibilities allow him to do that, but I think it's part of his maturity and a credit to him as well."

Ramsey said he had no vision or expectation of what he thought his experience would be once he was traded to Los Angeles, but also "genuinely" preferred not to compare his time in Jacksonville to his time in L.A.

Ultimately, he is grateful for the way that time period in his life shaped him, but focused on the present.

"Just because I'm genuinely grateful for my time there and that whole experience," Ramsey said. "It was a part of my life that I needed, that I appreciated it. I went through things there that make me a better man today, make me appreciate the situation I'm in today even more, just some things I went through there. I'm grateful for that part of my journey. I'm super blessed and I'm happy to be on this part of my journey, too."

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Damn OBJ is very questionable for this game. Without him or WR core is Kupp alone. That’s not a comforting thought. Praying OBJ can play and gets other long touchdown!

Psycho_X

Legend

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1466890654420647937?s=20

Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF