OLD THREAD-Trade (speculation) Matt Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Let your biggest rival improve their only glaring weakness is a bold strategy I must say haha. Idk man I think Stafford is significantly better then Jimmy G or Goff, but I guess we may agree to disagree.
The 9ers aren't idiots. They're gonna get a better QB this offseason. Why not have it be a mediocre upgrade.

Where would you rank Stafford in the QBs for next year? Just curious. I'd have him middle of the pack. Maybe as high as 10 depending on mood I guess. That is a far cry better than them bringing in upside and hitting on it and leaving us in the dust.

They're drafting 12. Lance may go in that area and he's got insane upside. Or maybe they move up and put that beast of a kid Fields behind that line. I'd rather go with the devil I know. Oh and Watson. I can't even stand thinking about that lol.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Let your biggest rival improve their only glaring weakness is a bold strategy I must say haha. Idk man I think Stafford is significantly better then Jimmy G or Goff, but I guess we may agree to disagree.

How about this - since you don't think much of Goff, why don't you advocate trading him to the 49ers? Wouldn't help them at all in your opinion, right?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly lol stafford takes them back to the supervisor l Superbowl I think.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let the 9ers overpay for Stafford. No way I give those clowns a ton of draft capital for that dude. I'm actually worried now that we're gonna pull this off.

Yes. Thank you. The 49ers are going to upgrade on Jimmy. And they're dangerous with a healthy QB. I'd rather they waste a premium pick or two on an average to above average QB who has had some durability issues of late than a better and younger option. Shanahan will maximize Stafford's abilities. I know that. He's an elite offensive mind. But I'd hate to see what he could do with a truly great QB.

Stafford would be a HUGE upgrade on Goff. Totally different levels of QB play.

Matt Stafford is great at padding his stats. He's an average to above average QB. Goff was a below average QB this year but has been a top 10 QB in the past. I'll gamble on Goff over trading picks and cap room for a QB who doesn't move the needle.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
How about this - since you don't think much of Goff, why don't you advocate trading him to the 49ers? Wouldn't help them at all in your opinion, right?

Sure if they'll trade the required assets? It's rough trading within the division but I don't think Goff would be the type to come back and bite us anyway. And I don't mind Goff he's an average QB. I just think Stafford is better by a pretty sizable margin.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only time Stafford even approached being classified as a good QB was when he had Megatron catching anything thrown within 10 yards of him. He's had years being a good fantasy QB but I don't think he's ever been as good as some think he is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only time Stafford even approached being classified as a good QB was when he had Megatron catching anything thrown within 10 yards of him. He's had years being a good fantasy QB but I don't think he's ever been as good as some think he is.

Despite having a lot of talented receiving weapons over his career and some good OLs, Stafford has mainly led mediocre offenses. He's managed to put up pretty good numbers leading mediocre offenses because his offense's passing TD shares have been extremely high. Basically, his TD numbers are very inflated due to situational play-calling. People will point out that he has rarely had a running game, and that's true, but you don't need a good running game to have a good number of rushing TDs. It comes down to situational play-calling.

I demonstrated earlier in this thread how situational play-calling fucked Goff over in 2019. Despite our crappy running game, McVay's preference for pounding the ball into the endzone in the redzone deflated Goff's TD numbers. If he had passing TD shares like Stafford has had for most of his career, Goff would have had 30+ passing TDs that year. People will look at Stafford's stats and conclude that he was a good QB stuck in a bad organization. I think the reality is more that he has been a generally average QB stuck in a below average organization. Would Shanahan and McVay get more out of him? Certainly. But he's not suddenly going to become Aaron Rodgers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure if they'll trade the required assets? It's rough trading within the division but I don't think Goff would be the type to come back and bite us anyway. And I don't mind Goff he's an average QB. I just think Stafford is better by a pretty sizable margin.

And yet, Goff has led the same number of top 10 offenses in the past four years as Stafford has in his 12-year career (IIRC).

Liberator

Pro Bowler
And yet, Goff has led the same number of top 10 offenses in the past four years as Stafford has in his 12-year career (IIRC).

I hope the Rams aren't judging players on stats and who was "top 10" and they're watching the tape

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd be surprised if the Rams did anything other than a courtesy call to kick the tires. Because I think McVay wants mobility and you don't get that with Stafford.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The only way I would lower my expectations and take Stafford is if we got Stafford and before that were able to trade Goff for a first rounder. So we would have Stafford and a 1st round pick this year. That gives us time to still be good and also gives mcvay a chance to mold his qb in his form even though Wolford looks like his cousin!

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
So honestly of all the Goff scenarios, this would makes the most sense. Other than the fact that the top 2 guys in the Lions front office just left the Rams, there would be upside for both teams in a Goff for Stafford trade.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Just heard on espn that rams are trying to trade for stafford. Could just be a rumir

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am amazed that Stafford suddenly became a good QB at age 32 almost 33. Imagine if we stick with Goff how good he'd be at 33 considering he's already better than Stafford. The only "good" thing about Stafford is he's cheap.