OFFICIAL OL injuries and recovery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Fuck that. I don't trust AJ. I would tag his ass next year just in case, to ensure I have a starter. Then I would move heaven and earth to get up in the draft and take a young stud OT.

Find that LT and then we'll be looking real nice with QB, Edge, and LT filled of the classic cornerstone roles. And they still might be able to get lucky on the Corner thereafter, assuming we have some picks left in rounds 2-4.
I still get nervous, thinking about life without Stafford.
I think we need to start seriously planning for his exit.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still get nervous, thinking about life without Stafford.
I think we need to start seriously planning for his exit.
I get that. But I can't get past LT needing to be first. We need to get that blindside settled.

Rams tried to go the budget route with Boom and it burned them. I don't trust AJ. Soon as that dude gets the bag he's gonna vaporize.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams need to lock up AJ. Worst-case scenario with him, imo.. is you move him to RT.. but he seems like a starting LT to me. Not dominant, so he won't break the bank in FA.. but he'll get paid.
Sign him.. run with Havenstein on his last year of his contract and draft another tackle. Bummer is they don't have a second rounder.. maybe they'll trade back in the first to get more.

Or not.. they get an extra third for Raheem.
I agree. He shouldn’t break the bank. A left tackle on the low end of the scale would be huge for the cap. Aleric has made his mistakes, hopefully he has learned from them, especially recently. He likely cost the Rams at least one game, and could have improved their chances against Arizona, at least in the score disparity.

Maybe he burned his bridges with McVay but we’ve seen McVay be married to a few lesser players, like Noteboom and Allen. Aleric is miles better than either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I get that. But I can't get past LT needing to be first. We need to get that blindside settled.

Rams tried to go the budget route with Boom and it burned them. I don't trust AJ. Soon as that dude gets the bag he's gonna vaporize.
Left tackles aren’t easy to find in every draft. It’s already looking like the deep tackle draft from last year is going to end up being mostly right tackles.

This is like the Stafford situation to a lesser degree. Stafford carries the team in many instances. His experience, intelligence and arm talent aren’t easily replaced. No rookie QB picked in mid to late pick range is going to replace that.

There is no guarantee that the Rams can easily replace AJ unless they get an early pick. This may be a Noteboom case, where they left themselves no choice.

I think once Stafford retires the Rams enter a bit of a rebuild. At that point, if they aren’t happy with AJ or a few other pieces, that would be the time to trade them to amass some picks

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Left tackles aren’t easy to find in every draft. It’s already looking like the deep tackle draft from last year is going to end up being mostly right tackles.
Teams sometimes start LTs out on the right side in their rook season to get them rolling. So the indicator of where they play initially doesn't always mean anything. But the big boys with the best feet are always high in the draft.

It's time for us to make LT a priority.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
I want a top-10 LT and a younger one, draft, trade or FA I don't care. No team has regretted an anchor at LT for a decade. erase that from your list of needs and make it happen, especially with a new QB coming in the next few seasons.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
21 mill for Alaric? Wow
I was hoping for a 2-3 year deal at 10-12 mill
Since we're a contender and since I don't trust AJ I think that's the best combo. Then you can start AJ if necessary, but the plan would be to prep the kid from day one in camp on that left side and even if he redshirts you have an answer to not get the QB killed.

I don't think a 2-3 year deal at 10-12 million is even remotely gonna do it. But if AJ would take that then yeah I could see it.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Alaric Jackson played well yesterday. I wonder if he can actually be the new Noteboom (give him a decent contract with some team friendly outs).
If I had to guess, I bet this is the plan. The Rams don't get rid of OTs lightly or quickly since good ones are hard to find. I seriously doubt they move on from both AJ and Noteboom next year.

Sign AJ to a decent contract and draft a LT early would be wise strategy.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys saw what this OL looked like when AJ went out. LT is a cornerstone position for a reason. AJ is gonna want some bag.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams just/finally invested in the O-line. Considering that free agency comes before the draft, letting AJ walk away would be an enormous risk. After prioritizing Stafford's protection, I don't think they take that risk. If they plan to let AJ leave, then it will be to sign a veteran a different Left tackle in free agency.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want a top-10 LT and a younger one, draft, trade or FA I don't care. No team has regretted an anchor at LT for a decade. erase that from your list of needs and make it happen, especially with a new QB coming in the next few seasons.
Besides Joe Thomas in Cleveland...Poor Guy.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If I had to guess, I bet this is the plan. The Rams don't get rid of OTs lightly or quickly since good ones are hard to find. I seriously doubt they move on from both AJ and Noteboom next year.

Sign AJ to a decent contract and draft a LT early would be wise strategy.
From what I have seen thus far on the draft sites, it's not a great LT draft. Not like last year's draft. The 1st rd OTs appear to be more RT types as many of them are listed as potential OGs... So they don't seem like your elite LT types in pass protection.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
From what I have seen thus far on the draft sites, it's not a great LT draft. Not like last year's draft. The 1st rd OTs appear to be more RT types as many of them are listed as potential OGs... So they don't seem like your elite LT types in pass protection.
Interesting. All the more reason why I believe that AJ will be resigned. I don't think they'll wait to the draft to fill the starting LT spot. When have they ever done that for that position? Also, when have they ever not had a vet LT under McVay?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Interesting. All the more reason why I believe that AJ will be resigned. I don't think they'll wait to the draft to fill the starting LT spot. When have they ever done that for that position? Also, when have they ever not had a vet LT under McVay?
If his contract demands are reasonable and he plays well this year, bring him back and at worst he could be the future RT when they hopefully find that elite LT prospect over the next two years.