Ogletree traded to Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Can one of the resident Board cap guru's explain what this means for our cap? Is there any dead money for associated with this deal? How much do we save and how much does that give us overall to play with?

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
I knew the Rams were going to overhaul the defense this off season. Last year they used their resources on offense, I get it. But Wade isn't going to go with the status quo with a defense that was 19th in yards allowed and a pathetic 28th in run defense. Not when you have a great offense. They couldn't get off the field vs Atlanta. Lot of it was personnel fit in the 3-4, but Tree was one of those decent not prolific players the Rams have always resigned (Tru, Quinn, Austin, etc). They recouped the cap hit and got a couple late picks. The line backing was the weak link last year.

Obv the return isn't on equal value but I'm not going to judge this deal until I see where those 11 million dollars are going to.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins. How much money did we save this year?
Have to look further at the numbers but his signing bonus of $1.6 million a year for 4 years we owe. Giants will pay his $3 million base and $7 million roster bonus. So we save that $10 million but eat his signing, not sure if we’re charged the $6.4 million this year or $1.6 million a year.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Wow im as surprised as most of you but I get it. Will miss Tree. A good character guy but he just didnt fit the system. Wade knows whats he wants and the Rams are gonna go in hard to make it happen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gurley and Tru don't seem very happy about this.

Where are you Tru ? If you like Tree so much why not go to the Giants ?

If your ready to walk ? Get rid of the old & bring in the young.

Gurley ? Do you want to get paid ? Once Donald signs a HUGE contract you will be the one franchised if not signing a contract .

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have to look further at the numbers but his signing bonus of $1.6 million a year for 4 years we owe. Giants will pay his $3 million base and $7 million roster bonus. So we save that $10 million but eat his signing, not sure if we’re charged the $6.4 million this year or $1.6 million a year.
If you trade a player all prorated signing bonus money immediately becomes dead money.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't think there's gonna be a cap hit. it's all on the giants who can get out after this season for no cap hit.

or am i wrong?

good move by the rams getting something for a player that didn't fit their scheme.

Psycho_X

Legend
What the holy fuck. Wow. I am actually ok with this but being that we just resigned him I did not see this coming at all. Like, I could have seen us trading almost every player on defense except him or Donald. Wow.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as I liked Ogletree... he wasn't great at shedding blockers and run defense. I guess we gave him a pass because of his above average pass-coverage skills? He was very athletic, but he was not a middle linebacker IMO.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Love this move. Tree was a huge liability covering RBs, missed too many tackles, and couldn't get off blocks. His leadership will be missed, but the Rams need more especially for what he was paid. I would have liked more, but compensation is fair since Giants have to take on Tree's huge contract. I think Wagner and Keuchly are the only MLBs that make more.

I posted in my mock I would rather keep Barron because he is a better fit in today's NFL, but I didn't think the Rams agreed. I guess they do agree

Agreed 100%. I'll miss his locker room presence, but not his inability to shed a single effing block. Great dude tho.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
If you trade a player all prorated signing bonus money immediately becomes dead money.
Yes. And scrolling farther down the spotrac website, it looks like this trade brings us $6.4 million in dead cap. That's four years worth of his $8 million signing bonus over five years. Keeping Tree would have cost $3 million in salary, plus $7 million in roster bonus on March 15 plus the prorated part of his signing bonus $1.6 million? So it's $6.4 million in dead cap and no linebacker vs. $11.6 million with Tree?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Very dangerous approach unless they're gonna go all out in free agency

Not true. The Rams are stacked with late picks. They can move up & down the board.

Donald has to be signed. He is the leader now !! The depth a LBer in the draft is huge.

What have The Rams lost on defense so far ?

They added Marcus Peters an elite CB.