Official Training Camp Thread - Day 6!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Feisty Rams mix it up at Thursday night practice
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...sty-rams-mix-it-up-at-thursday-night-practice

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams are not yet a full week into training camp but the time to hit someone else has already arrived. Or so it would seem from the events of the team's practice Thursday night.

It's common to see a scuffle or two break out in a regular training camp practice but the Rams had two or three that seemed to go on for a bit. At one point, tackle Greg Robinson got tied up with end Robert Quinn leading to a skirmish, though I couldn't tell who Robinson was going after because of the scrum around them.

But the biggest involved a couple of usual culprits in linebacker Alec Ogletree and tight end Jared Cook. Ogletree delivered a hit to a running back and he and Cook started jawing. It eventually devolved into more trash talking before Ogletree and Cook went after each other. For the most part, they were held back by teammates but Cook put up quite a fight before he was finally restrained.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher doesn't mind the physical approach but also has his limit on what's OK and what's not.

"You just want to make sure someone doesn't get caught off guard," Fisher said. "There were little things going on that they got worked out. They're ready to go practice with somebody else, go play somebody else."

The good news is the Rams don't have much longer to wait. They're a little more than a week from the preseason opener in Oakland and then get a couple of days with the Dallas Cowboys in Oxnard, California.

The Rams had a trio of new additions to the injury list on Thursday, most notably running back Tre Mason. Mason did not practice because of hamstring tightness, according to Fisher. Defensive tackle Doug Worthington and linebacker Korey Toomer (ankle) also did not practice. That trio joined cornerbacks E.J. Gaines (foot) and Brandon McGee (knee) and guard Cody Wichmann (calf) as non-participants. On the positive injury front, safety Mark Barron participated in some team drills for the first time after coming back on a limited basis in Tuesday's practice.

Barrett Jones took his turn at center with the first-team offense as the rotation there continues.

With no Mason and no Todd Gurley, Benny Cunningham took most of the reps with the first team at running back. Chase Reynolds also got some reps and scored a touchdown after a nice angle route out of the backfield in red zone work.

Speaking of the run game, Cook offered an excellent wham block to spring Cunningham for a touchdown on one run play.

On the next play, rookie guard Jamon Brown missed Ogletree on a screen to Cunningham as Ogletree blew the play up. Brown has been getting rave reviews for his work so far and has mostly held up well, especially since the pads came on. But he got an earful from line coach Paul Boudreau after the play.

It was a long day at the office for running back Isaiah Pead. Not only did he get mostly left behind on reps with the first-team offense, he also took a couple of pretty big hits in practice, one from Lamarcus Joyner and another from Daren Bates (or it looked like Bates from a long view). Pead is coming back from a season-ending injury and can't even make it through practice without having it tested.

St. Louis Cardinals baseball players Jon Jay, Matt Adams and Jordan Walden took in the practice. So, too, did Scott Casterline, who represents defensive tackle Michael Brockers. Legendary offensive line coach Jim Hanifan was also in the house.

The Rams are back at it Friday night when they have their annual scrimmage at nearby Lindenwood University. It's set for 6 p.m. ET.

RamzFanz

Damnit
OK, I just watched the NFLN coverage. I just want to throw a few things out there that I saw:
Everyone looks to be in shape.

Practice is run very efficiently.

In one on one drills, Brockers, and Donald look almost unblockable. Westbrooks looks more powerful this year. Sims looks a little thicker, like he does every year, steady improvement.

From the offensive side of the drill, each player got two reps, and almost to a man, they got beat one, and they won one.

Bond went against Trinca-Pasat from the ORG spot. Bond won the 1st rep, where Trinca-Pasat tried an inside move, but Bond's feet are slow. Trinca-Pasat won the 2nd rep with a rip move to the outside. Trinca-Pasat and Bond both looked meh, IMO.

Brockers up next against Barnes. Brockers with a swim move, looked like he was in water and flew past Barnes on the first rep. On the nest rep, Barnes got his hands on Brockers early, and won the rep, with Brockers going to Barnes' left. Note: Brockers jumped a few times during this portion of practice, he was trying to read the snap count.

Next up was Wang vs. A, Donald. Ummm, not pretty. Donald bull rushed, and pushed Wang back, way, way back, as the cheerleaders used to say. Wang in the dirt, you get it. 2nd rep: Donald abused Wang, and bulled him, then cut to the inside, like lightening fast. This matchup wasn't fair, and Donald would have sacked any QB on the team. They gave Wang another chance, and this time Donald, easily beats him to the outside. Don't see Wang hanging around long. Pun intended.

#63? vs. Battle. #63 looks quick, and uses a rip move to go outside of Battle, for the win. Next rep, #63 fakes outside, and Battle, retreats quickly, #63 makes a hard move inside, and Battle grabs one of his shoulder pads with one hand, and tosses him down. Could have gone either way, if it was in the fray. Rhyme not intended. Battle has pretty quick feet, and he needs some technique work, but he has the body, and quickness to be that swing OT that we need. He's not ready, yet.

That was it for that drill that they showed, horn sounds. 11 on 11:

All starters, this is a better gauge of where the OL are, because one on one's always favor the defense. First rep, every OL wins, except Kendricks who absolutely looks lost. T.J. McDonald, lined up straight over him, blitzes, and flies in. Benny picks him up, so Foles can make the throw, and by this time, Brockers had walked Jones back to Foles. It was a 7 step drop, and Foles threw on time. It was incomplete, they didn't show it, but it was Foles only option, Brockers was there. Jenkins busted up the pass to K. Britt. Except for Jones, all the other OL did a great job. G.Rob, J. Brown, and R. Saffold, all held at the LOS. Havenstein, dealing with a blitzing OLB Ayers, picked him up nicely.

Next play. Inside give to Benny C. Saffold (pulling right) and B. Jones got tripped up, Jones on ass, Brockers blew it up. Play looks like it was supposed to go to the 4 hole. Havenstein, and Kendricks seal the outside effectively on C. Long. G Rob, seals the backside...Quinn. J. Brown single handedly stymied his man at the LOS, Brockers, wow. Harkey, from FB position kicks out on T.J. who is on the LOS, again, and Ayers, also there makes the play, no gain. Note: There was a hole on the backside that runner may have seen who has great vision, patience. But, Benny ran where the hole, should have been. I think Hark, missed the block, but the D is giving a lot of different looks.

Next. Looks like same play, but now Harkey lined up offset on the left side at FB. Foles, under Center again, drops back, and fakes hand-off to Benny. Harkey takes a quick release into the left flat and is wide open for a short gain, then T.J. wraps him up on the sideline. Only one OL block had to be made, and G. Rob, rocked Dunbar for the outside seal. Looks like Jones and Brown may have had a little miscommunication error, and Brocker swam though almost untouched. Irrelevant, because it was a quick hitting play. Ayers came again from the outside, lined up wide of Long.

Next. Hayes humps offside, but they let the play run. 3 step drop to Quick, who high pointed the ball, on a 12 yard gain. Like a mini comeback fade. His split was pretty tight on the right. Hard to comment on OL on this play. Joyner on the tight coverage, and Alexander coming quickly, actually makes some contact, with the yellow doily, helmeted Quick.

Next. 2 WR split wide, offset right Harkey at FB, and Pead at RB. This time J. Brown's job on Donald, who comes hard through the gap, but Brown, showing great lateral quickness, pushes Donald past the play. Looks like a potential big gainer, until Hayes sheds Havenstein, to fill the hole. I'd give Pead 3 yards, but he hit it hard, and kept running, after the play. Alexander there on the very quick fill. Tru and Pead have words after the play, because Pead kept trucking, and rammed Tru.

Same formation. Cook the TE on the right takes a hard release down the seam. OL does a pretty good job on the P/A, same as before, oppo, with Harkey running to the right flat. Open again. About a 7 yard gain. Jones got knocked back pretty good by, I think, Donald, he ends up on ass. Hayes tries to bull haven, but Haven is able to re-set and stave him off.

Next. Same formation, but offside FB to left. Pead with carry, and he hits it pretty hard to the 1 or 3 hole, and it's pretty well blocked. Nobody on the D gets penetration. Would have been about a 5 yard gain. Pead, again, fights and keeps running. There was a small seam, where he may have broke, had he seen it. Tough to tell. Saffold just drove his guy 5 yards down the field...a DT couldn't catch the number, and G. Robinson got to the 2nd level, and just murdered a LB, with little effort, on a seal. Nice looking run play.

Switched to backups, and I'm too sore to go on. Maybe, I can do the rest tomorrow. Pausing tape.

IMO, the OL looks pretty good. We might have something in the future. We ran simple stuff in that first go though. Different looks from the same formation. Center, was weakest of the group.

Defense lines up all over, lots of different looks.

Why aren't you at camp?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Number 63

D) Longacre

O) Williams
Awesome, thanks. Longacre shows a little burst off the edge. Tough to make this d-line though.

Just for clarification, they were in pads, but were not going full tilt, at all times. Only one real tackle that I saw.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
R.O.D. presented Coach and Jim with a gift of gratitude and a big thanks for all they do and it was my honor to deliver it! I was also honored with a gift which I promptly turned into cold liquid beverages. :) Thanks Rams Fans!
Fantastic!

RamzFanz

Damnit
OK. Got it. Quinn will be Quinn. Thanks

I want a t-shirt that says that, "Quinn will be Quinn" where he's unnaturally bent backwards thrashing a QB. It's true. Between you and I and the internet, I have zero worries about the D-line. If we hear of no injuries, Rams may be #1. When a Robinson handles a Quinn, thank god. It's iron on iron, not one or the other slipping, IMHO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't he an offensive player? I don't think it was him, he didn't look 6'5". @RamzFanz , any notes.
He is, maybe it was 93? Ethan Westbrook? 73 is GRob it wouldn't have been 83 quick and 53 is Bates so he wasn't involved. The only DLine in the 60's is Trinca-Pasat at 62.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like Jones still isn't there when it comes to functional strength. But if he can play technically sound football and not botch snaps, he's still an upgrade over Wells.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He is, maybe it was 93? Ethan Westbrook? 73 is GRob it wouldn't have been 83 quick and 53 is Bates so he wasn't involved. The only DLine in the 60's is Trinca-Pasat at 62.
Ramzfanz said it was, Longacre. You were right on the offensive player, wearing that number.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sounds like Jones still isn't there when it comes to functional strength. But if he can play technically sound football and not botch snaps, he's still an upgrade over Wells.
Of the two really bad reps for him in team, one, he got tripped up a little bit, and on the 2nd, couldn't handle, probably Donald. Not many can. He had some good reps too. I'd like him to play more stout, no doubt.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Awesome, thanks. Longacre shows a little burst off the edge. Tough to make this d-line though.

Just for clarification, they were in pads, but were not going full tilt, at all times. Only one real tackle that I saw.

Yeah, they aren't supposed to do full tackle yet. They can hit and disrupt. The tackles draw boos only because they aren't allowed. We have to wait for preseason for full tackles. There were some full tackles today, 3-4, but they often led to pushing and one choke hold that I saw.

As Coach said, and I'm paraphrasing, "I'm not impressed with tackling a RB unless that RB is allowed to lower his pads and run through you"

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ramzfanz said it was, Longacre. You were right on the offensive player, wearing that number.

I'm just reading from the sheet. There are two 63's. They are listed as I wrote. Quinn is 2 and Britt 18, by the way, if anyone is confused.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, they aren't supposed to do full tackle yet. They can hit and disrupt. The tackles draw boos only because they aren't allowed. We have to wait for preseason for full tackles. There were some full tackles today, 3-4, but they often led to pushing and one choke hold that I saw.

As Coach said, and I'm paraphrasing, "I'm not impressed with tackling a RB unless that RB is allowed to lower his pads and run through you"
And after Pead did that the 2nd time, Fisher pulled him. I don't mind seeing Pead work hard though, so.....I agreed with Fish, in the end.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 8/6: High Defensive Expectations
By Austin Lankford

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-86-High-Defensive-Expectations/1aa0e0f6-0317-41dc-a5a4-c1f251ef7d9e

The Rams completed their sixth training camp practice on Thursday and with the high expectations for this year’s defense, veteran linebacker James Laurinaitis likes the unit’s direction thus far.

“I’ve seen some really good things and I think today we saw a lot of guys trying to compete,” Laurinaitis said. “I think it’s a great thing for us and I think higher expectations forces higher accountability. Last year we had huge expectations and we came out of the gate slow like we have the last few years.”

The veteran linebacker added the defense talks about the slow starts every day and what can be done to improve in that regard this year.

“We know that all 11 players have to be on the same page to play great team defense,” Laurinaitis said. “To be where we want and where we expect -- and that’s a top five defense -- we have to go out there and really start putting what’s on paper onto the field. To be honest, that’s the big difference in a defense like Seattle who is up there over and over. They do it week in and week out. They’re consistent and we have to figure out how to be consistent.”

Consistency has been a big theme for the defense this offseason and many players have noted Gregg Williams’ return for a second season to be a key component.

“It’s really nice to have the same coordinator,” Laurinaitis said. “It allows you to play fast and the nice thing is we are correcting are little things. We aren’t installing a new defense that guys have never heard before. We’re installing the same stuff from OTAs and stuff we ran last year. It’s the first time in a while where we are able to do that.”

Laurinaitis is also impressed with the talent and depth St. Louis has assembled on defense, specifically noting the number of reliable safeties and corners on the team. He said Williams does a tremendous job of installing multiple packages to fully utilize the unit’s talent.

Head coach Jeff Fisher is also pleased with the overall progress of the team through six practices and is noticing specific improvements from last year.

“We haven’t played anybody else yet and I am not going to put a lot of stake in the first preseason game, but I am pleased with where we are,” Fisher said. “What’s interesting is our on the field practice full-speed penalties are way down compared to where we were last year. … And the discipline of things down the field like the contact, the holding, and the hands to the face -- all those are things that we emphasize and that’s encouraging to me and that will carry over.”

The Rams’ next practice is set to take place at Lindenwood University, which Fisher said will be similar to what the team has done at the Edward Jones Dome in years past. Fisher said the practice traditionally ends in a 10 to 12 play rookie scrimmage.

“We will be in full pads,” Laurinaitis said. “And aside from the special teams practices, it’s where a lot of young guys can make a name. It’s a big opportunity for these kids and it’s their first chance to show who can tackle well, who’s not afraid to get hit, and who can take a hit.”

“I think the guys are excited about the change of venue and a little more intimate place,” Fisher said. “We went by there yesterday and took a tour and it’s a great stadium and it’s in great shape. Even though we are starting at five, the lights will be on. And when you put the lights on Friday night, it’s always a little different.”

ROOKIE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

Fisher also said on Tuesday that he’s pleased with the progression of rookies Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown.

“You can look at right tackle and the right guard right now and they look like they’ve been here for a while,” Fisher said. “It’s good to have that feeling inside that you have confidence in both Rob and Jamon that they can line up and play and it shows with the pads on that they’re doing it.”

For more on the rookie OLs, keep a look out for a feature on Havenstein and Brown and how they have the potential to grow together for years to come.

ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE v2?

With the NFL Network in town, some of the Rams’ defensive linemen continued acting in line with their earned reputation for pranks. Check out the video below to see why.