Official Training Camp Thread - Day 6!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gurley looks good in individual drills.
kramer-yeah.gif

fancents86

Starter
Really nice to hear Watts working with the 1's, I really like that kid.

Kendrick's letting me down again. :(

ram007

Starter
what is the dealio with Quinn? He is not mentioned much. Either G-Rob is good or Quinn is going to disappear again for the first 8 games?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Today was just strange. I think some of it was because of the NFLN coverage. They slowed down a lot and didn't do a lot of drills. The crowd was half of what it's been. No one wandered over to the crowd after practice to take pics and sign things. Rams may have banned "stay in STL" signs inside which is BS but they were on the streets outside. Grass parking area was soaked and closed so everyone had to street park and walk.

I DID meet @12intheBox though and he's a cool dude. Of course, anyone who buys a round I call cool dude. :cheers: He hung with Coach and me. We'll be meeting up tomorrow at the Scrimmage. North Carolina representin'. Yes, he flew in to see camp this week. Where are you Europeans?!

I also met @Jim Fadler the Tweet Master (see what I did there? Rhyme and all?). Nice guy. I didn't talk to him a lot because he was so involved in the action. Maybe tomorrow. I would like to hear his observations.

R.O.D. presented Coach and Jim with a gift of gratitude and a big thanks for all they do and it was my honor to deliver it! I was also honored with a gift which I promptly turned into cold liquid beverages. :) Thanks Rams Fans!

I always read what's been said and today, you guys had the better view. When they are on the middle field, our vantage sucks. Tomorrow should show a lot more for our reports.

It's not so much that Foles holds the ball too long, covered receivers are covered receivers, but that he pumps the ball over and over and then he's not accurate on his passes after the first read. His first read is very good. Foles is the king in the seam.

Pead was up to play again today. He made the most of Mason being out.

Quick is jumping over defenders for the ball as is Britt which is AWESOME!

I didn't see much of little man TA today. So far in camp though, he's an effective part of this O.

The o line gets better every day. Again, limited views, and no 1 on 1 today that I saw, but far fewer free running white uniforms in the backfield. Snisher may have just pulled this off. Can't WAIT for preseason.

No view of Jones at center play pretty much at all. What I did catch was good. Take it for what it's worth.

Manion has pretty much fallen out of the rotation. I assume they want the other two to get as many evaluation reps as possible. Just watching him in passing drills is impressive.

Gurley running sprints. It's all I saw of him today.

Kendricks, come on bro, I'm a fan. Stop it.

Smelly catches balls. Just sayin', he does.

Bailey had a drop. It's so rare, it's news.

My main man Rodriguez dropped one too, caught a few, and was fielding punts again.

Cook is Foles favorite target and it's paying off.

Can't wait for the Scrimmage tomorrow! I'll get pics and gifs!

Thanks again, from us all, for the kind gifts, R.O.D. This is my "All Things Rams" home on the internet and the people I've met from here in person are always a pleasure. Coach is a fountain of information. People come out of the crowd to get questions answered by him all the time. I've never enjoyed training camp so much as when I get to hear his observations. He's also funny! I kid you not! Everyone else has also been a pleasure to meet and hang with, Jims and Daves and Will and...short term memory loss...and I look forward to future meetups.(y)

lockdnram21

Legend
Plus, Foles tore it up with DeSean Jackson in 2013. Might mean good things for Tavon. One can hope.
I hope for the best but I don't think he's going to excel in that roll. I think they should use him like sproels

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
OK, I just watched the NFLN coverage. I just want to throw a few things out there that I saw:
Everyone looks to be in shape.

Practice is run very efficiently.

In one on one drills, Brockers, and Donald look almost unblockable. Westbrooks looks more powerful this year. Sims looks a little thicker, like he does every year, steady improvement.

From the offensive side of the drill, each player got two reps, and almost to a man, they got beat one, and they won one.

Bond went against Trinca-Pasat from the ORG spot. Bond won the 1st rep, where Trinca-Pasat tried an inside move, but Bond's feet are slow. Trinca-Pasat won the 2nd rep with a rip move to the outside. Trinca-Pasat and Bond both looked meh, IMO.

Brockers up next against Barnes. Brockers with a swim move, looked like he was in water and flew past Barnes on the first rep. On the nest rep, Barnes got his hands on Brockers early, and won the rep, with Brockers going to Barnes' left. Note: Brockers jumped a few times during this portion of practice, he was trying to read the snap count.

Next up was Wang vs. A, Donald. Ummm, not pretty. Donald bull rushed, and pushed Wang back, way, way back, as the cheerleaders used to say. Wang in the dirt, you get it. 2nd rep: Donald abused Wang, and bulled him, then cut to the inside, like lightening fast. This matchup wasn't fair, and Donald would have sacked any QB on the team. They gave Wang another chance, and this time Donald, easily beats him to the outside. Don't see Wang hanging around long. Pun intended.

#63? vs. Battle. #63 looks quick, and uses a rip move to go outside of Battle, for the win. Next rep, #63 fakes outside, and Battle, retreats quickly, #63 makes a hard move inside, and Battle grabs one of his shoulder pads with one hand, and tosses him down. Could have gone either way, if it was in the fray. Rhyme not intended. Battle has pretty quick feet, and he needs some technique work, but he has the body, and quickness to be that swing OT that we need. He's not ready, yet.

That was it for that drill that they showed, horn sounds. 11 on 11:

All starters, this is a better gauge of where the OL are, because one on one's always favor the defense. First rep, every OL wins, except Kendricks who absolutely looks lost. T.J. McDonald, lined up straight over him, blitzes, and flies in. Benny picks him up, so Foles can make the throw, and by this time, Brockers had walked Jones back to Foles. It was a 7 step drop, and Foles threw on time. It was incomplete, they didn't show it, but it was Foles only option, Brockers was there. Jenkins busted up the pass to K. Britt. Except for Jones, all the other OL did a great job. G.Rob, J. Brown, and R. Saffold, all held at the LOS. Havenstein, dealing with a blitzing OLB Ayers, picked him up nicely.

Next play. Inside give to Benny C. Saffold (pulling right) and B. Jones got tripped up, Jones on ass, Brockers blew it up. Play looks like it was supposed to go to the 4 hole. Havenstein, and Kendricks seal the outside effectively on C. Long. G Rob, seals the backside...Quinn. J. Brown single handedly stymied his man at the LOS, Brockers, wow. Harkey, from FB position kicks out on T.J. who is on the LOS, again, and Ayers, also there makes the play, no gain. Note: There was a hole on the backside that runner may have seen who has great vision, patience. But, Benny ran where the hole, should have been. I think Hark, missed the block, but the D is giving a lot of different looks.

Next. Looks like same play, but now Harkey lined up offset on the left side at FB. Foles, under Center again, drops back, and fakes hand-off to Benny. Harkey takes a quick release into the left flat and is wide open for a short gain, then T.J. wraps him up on the sideline. Only one OL block had to be made, and G. Rob, rocked Dunbar for the outside seal. Looks like Jones and Brown may have had a little miscommunication error, and Brocker swam though almost untouched. Irrelevant, because it was a quick hitting play. Ayers came again from the outside, lined up wide of Long.

Next. Hayes humps offside, but they let the play run. 3 step drop to Quick, who high pointed the ball, on a 12 yard gain. Like a mini comeback fade. His split was pretty tight on the right. Hard to comment on OL on this play. Joyner on the tight coverage, and Alexander coming quickly, actually makes some contact, with the yellow doily, helmeted Quick.

Next. 2 WR split wide, offset right Harkey at FB, and Pead at RB. This time J. Brown's job on Donald, who comes hard through the gap, but Brown, showing great lateral quickness, pushes Donald past the play. Looks like a potential big gainer, until Hayes sheds Havenstein, to fill the hole. I'd give Pead 3 yards, but he hit it hard, and kept running, after the play. Alexander there on the very quick fill. Tru and Pead have words after the play, because Pead kept trucking, and rammed Tru.

Same formation. Cook the TE on the right takes a hard release down the seam. OL does a pretty good job on the P/A, same as before, oppo, with Harkey running to the right flat. Open again. About a 7 yard gain. Jones got knocked back pretty good by, I think, Donald, he ends up on ass. Hayes tries to bull haven, but Haven is able to re-set and stave him off.

Next. Same formation, but offside FB to left. Pead with carry, and he hits it pretty hard to the 1 or 3 hole, and it's pretty well blocked. Nobody on the D gets penetration. Would have been about a 5 yard gain. Pead, again, fights and keeps running. There was a small seam, where he may have broke, had he seen it. Tough to tell. Saffold just drove his guy 5 yards down the field...a DT couldn't catch the number, and G. Robinson got to the 2nd level, and just murdered a LB, with little effort, on a seal. Nice looking run play.

Switched to backups, and I'm too sore to go on. Maybe, I can do the rest tomorrow. Pausing tape.

IMO, the OL looks pretty good. We might have something in the future. We ran simple stuff in that first go though. Different looks from the same formation. Center, was weakest of the group.

Defense lines up all over, lots of different looks.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
what is the dealio with Quinn? He is not mentioned much. Either G-Rob is good or Quinn is going to disappear again for the first 8 games?

Coach O put it as well as anyone could today, but I'll have to paraphrase because I don't remember exactly: "I can't say who is standing out as easily because the level of play is so much higher across the board, it's hard to see who is standing out anymore. It was so much easier in earlier camps."

When you paraphrase, do you use quotes?

From me, I will say, Quinn isn't talked about because he's Quinn. I've seen him killing it and ignore it because A) It's expected and B) I want the o line o stop him. It's bigger news to me when they actually stop him.

For the record, in games 6-8, he had 5 sacks. Sometimes I think you are baiting me. o_O

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Today was just strange. I think some of it was because of the NFLN coverage. They slowed down a lot and didn't do a lot of drills. The crowd was half of what it's been. No one wandered over to the crowd after practice to take pics and sign things. Rams may have banned "stay in STL" signs inside which is BS but they were on the streets outside. Grass parking area was soaked and closed so everyone had to street park and walk.

I DID meet @12intheBox though and he's a cool dude. Of course, anyone who buys a round I call cool dude. :cheers: He hung with Coach and me. We'll be meeting up tomorrow at the Scrimmage. North Carolina representin'. Yes, he flew in to see camp this week. Where are you Europeans?!

I also met @Jim Fadler the Tweet Master (see what I did there? Rhyme and all?). Nice guy. I didn't talk to him a lot because he was so involved in the action. Maybe tomorrow. I would like to hear his observations.

R.O.D. presented Coach and Jim with a gift of gratitude and a big thanks for all they do and it was my honor to deliver it! I was also honored with a gift which I promptly turned into cold liquid beverages. :) Thanks Rams Fans!

I always read what's been said and today, you guys had the better view. When they are on the middle field, our vantage sucks. Tomorrow should show a lot more for our reports.

It's not so much that Foles holds the ball too long, covered receivers are covered receivers, but that he pumps the ball over and over and then he's not accurate on his passes after the first read. His first read is very good. Foles is the king in the seam.

Pead was up to play again today. He made the most of Mason being out.

Quick is jumping over defenders for the ball as is Britt which is AWESOME!

I didn't see much of little man TA today. So far in camp though, he's an effective part of this O.

The o line gets better every day. Again, limited views, and no 1 on 1 today that I saw, but far fewer free running white uniforms in the backfield. Snisher may have just pulled this off. Can't WAIT for preseason.

No view of Jones at center play pretty much at all. What I did catch was good. Take it for what it's worth.

Manion has pretty much fallen out of the rotation. I assume they want the other two to get as many evaluation reps as possible. Just watching him in passing drills is impressive.

Gurley running sprints. It's all I saw of him today.

Kendricks, come on bro, I'm a fan. Stop it.

Smelly catches balls. Just sayin', he does.

Bailey had a drop. It's so rare, it's news.

My main man Rodriguez dropped one too, caught a few, and was fielding punts again.

Cook is Foles favorite target and it's paying off.

Can't wait for the Scrimmage tomorrow! I'll get pics and gifs!

Thanks again, from us all, for the kind gifts, R.O.D. This is my "All Things Rams" home on the internet and the people I've met from here in person are always a pleasure. Coach is a fountain of information. People come out of the crowd to get questions answered by him all the time. I've never enjoyed training camp so much as when I get to hear his observations. He's also funny! I kid you not! Everyone else has also been a pleasure to meet and hang with, Jims and Daves and Will and...short term memory loss...and I look forward to future meetups.(y)
You rock Ramzfanz.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Quinn has logged 40 sacks and 13 forced fumbles in three seasons under Fisher. At this point I would prefer that Quinn coast a little thru TC if that's the case. We're good there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Coach O put it as well as anyone could today, but I'll have to paraphrase because I don't remember exactly: "I can't say who is standing out as easily because the level of play is so much higher across the board, it's hard to see who is standing out anymore. It was so much easier in earlier camps."

When you paraphrase, do you use quotes?

From me, I will say, Quinn isn't talked about because he's Quinn. I've seen him killing it and ignore it because A) It's expected and B) I want the o line o stop him. It's bigger news to me when they actually stop him.

For the record, in games 6-8, he had 5 sacks. Sometimes I think you are baiting me. o_O
Well, what I just watched, and I focused on the OL, G. Rob handled him pretty good. G. Rob was a beast.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Well, what I just watched, and I focused on the OL, G. Rob handled him pretty good. G. Rob was a beast.

Iron sharpens iron.

Still I have to worry. This excuse that our offensive players are struggling because they're playing such a top flight defense...well, you mean like Seattle?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Quinn has logged 40 sacks and 13 forced fumbles in three seasons under Fisher. At this point I would prefer that Quinn coast a little thru TC if that's the case. We're good there.

Seriously Mojo. Dead on. If he went full speed and rocked the camp, what could anyone learn? The thing to watch for with Quinn and Donald is when someone says they don't look good. It's a given until then.

For the record, Quinn is bending like Stretch Armstrong and Donald explodes the line like GI Joe.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Exactly. So many beasts, it's harder to say who is more beastly.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
#63? vs. Battle. #63 looks quick, and uses a rip move to go outside of Battle, for the win. Next rep, #63 fakes outside, and Battle, retreats quickly, #63 makes a hard move inside, and Battle grabs one of his shoulder pads with one hand, and tosses him down. Could have gone either way, if it was in the fray. Rhyme not intended. Battle has pretty quick feet, and he needs some technique work, but he has the body, and quickness to be that swing OT that we need. He's not ready, yet.

63 is Darryl Williams fyi

RamzFanz

Damnit
Iron sharpens iron.

Still I have to worry. This excuse that our offensive players are struggling because they're playing such a top flight defense...well, you mean like Seattle?

Fair point. Hey, you have my cell, meetup tomorrow? (I hear @12intheBox is buying!)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Iron sharpens iron.

I didn't see them struggling, per se, they were moving the ball. They looked much better in team, than individual, as expected. I would say Jones struggled, in the portion that I broke down, but with a Center, you can't always put it all on them, there could have been help that missed their assignment.