Official Rams vs. Chargers Vent Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

Legend
rhinobean giving in to the heat of the moment:
I was just as pissed at Hill's first interception, if not more since I didn't see how he could make that throw!
You and me both! :LOL: But as I look at the last two games I see a decent backup rent-a-QB. You knew that when we signed a perennial 34 year old back up QB. I think his play has earned the money we paid him. The only reason I wanted Davis to play was because even though he wasn't as good as Hill, there was the possibility of upside. Upside that didn't exist with Hill. I really didn't see us surviving the blow of loosing SB so this year is all about the development of our players for me.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I just don't understand why Davis vs Hill is still being discussed so intensely. Neither guy is the answer. I thought we all knew this weeks ago.
I'm not seeing any "vs." talk. I'm seeing "Hill sucks" talk.

All I said was, if they both offer the same level of play, go with the cheaper, younger guy who might be here next year in some capacity. I thought Hill would be an improvement over Davis but that isn't really the case.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Davis would have won this game because the refs like him.

They hate Hill obviously. Didn't you see them look in his direction every time they threw a flag.

It was like they were telling him "you are the Yugo of QB's".

Anyway that's my takeaway from the game today. :whistle:

Honestly, I think it's Tavon. They saw Tavon's dance moves when he scored last year and are jealous. Now, they're doing anything they can to keep the Rams out of the end-zone. Hell, they flagged Janoris once he got into the end-zone. Obviously, they were trying to deter Tavon in case he scored later. It worked when he did score. But they had to know that you couldn't keep Tavon's dance moves down for long.

moklerman

Warner-phile
jrry32 said:
I'm not sold that Mariota will be great but I think he's Alex Smith with Kaepernick's legs. Which is more than enough for us to contend. I'm just not sure if he'll progress above that.
You don't trade two 1st's and a 2nd for Alex Smith.

jrry32 said:
I'm not overestimating our quality of starters. We're young and yet we have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. The depth could use improvement but we should have cap room and other draft picks to address that with. Two picks(1st and a 2nd) aren't going to kill our depth.
With your hypothetical trade, the Rams are without a 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th next year and the 1st in 2016. Not to mention whichever current players aren't retained. All for a QB that can just as easily be Geno Smith or EJ Manueal as Ben Roethlisberger. No, now that I say that I don't think there's an equal chance that they get a borderline HOF out of the deal. Not even close. 1 in 10 maybe.

jrry32 said:
No, I don't think it is. I don't think there is a rule. Bad teams shouldn't do it. But this isn't a bad team.

This team is a QB away.
They're a lot closer than they've been but that's only if they keep doing what they've been doing and a big part of that is re-loading and building through the draft. Isn't it? And, they're not just "a" QB away. If that were the case, Davis or Gilbert or whoever could be inserted into the lineup. They still need a good QB and that's a HUGE "if" in the draft.

jrry32 said:
The whole right guy falls philosophy doesn't work when nobody falls and you're left with nothing at the QB position.
Bradford is a risk, but he isn't "nothing". His health isn't an ideal situation but he does still provide an option for the Rams so they don't have to mortgage their future.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 thinking it's worse than I thought:
Actually it looks to me like he has lost some power on his throws. I don't ever remember him throwing the kinds of ducks I saw today. And that last one as someone already mentioned was a total stare down. The defender was sitting there in total disbelief that it was going to be that easy.
Lost power from what he was last year or lost power from last week? You might be right but that's exactly what I saw in the preseason and read about from our many experts who went to training camp.

He and Davis had some decent days but everyone said they were significantly worse than Sam and Sam isn't a top ten QB yet. So that always meant that Hill wasn't of starter quality. Probably a lot of that did derive from a loss of power due to his age. It was poor decision making when he was younger that kept him from becoming a starter and not a lack of strength. He is what he is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Alan needing clarification on how a duck knows which direction south is said:
Lost power from what he was last year or lost power from last week?

Noticed that was a little vague. I meant from previous seasons.

Alan

Legend
moklerman sticking to his guns:
No, it's all about the situation. Rivers, or any QB, can be more aggressive early in the game. Granted, an interception in the red zone is never a good thing but when you're in the spot Hill was, you have to be even more careful. If it's there, take it. If it's not, throw it out of the end zone and live to run a play on third down.

That he threw the pick is inexcusable but that he stared down the receiver and took a chance in that situation is unforgivable. He should know better. Not only did he not have a clear TD and safe pass, he didn't even see that that was what was going on. It was really bad QB play that you'd expect to see from a rookie.

Seriously, if today is what we can expect of Hill then I'm for putting Davis back in. He MIGHT have a chance to remain as a backup moving forward but this is it for Hill. He is what he is, he isn't young, he isn't cheap and he looks done.

That's a factor for sure but it's actually easier to make a good decision when the game isn't on the line. In addition to which, it's not the largest or most influential factor IMO. Poor decision making would also include not knowing when to throw it away wouldn't it? When you look at the totality of his last two games I think he's playing to my expectations. It's that "If it's there, take it" part where the bad decision making rears its ugly head.

I'd be in favor of putting Davis back in except for one thing. He's getting skittish. I don't know how that's going to work out or if he should be given more time not starting or what. I wouldn't yell if they did it either.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 getting into ornithology:
Alan needing clarification on how a duck knows which direction south is said:
So how does a duck know? I could google it but I've got you so...give. :LOL:

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'd be in favor of putting Davis back in except for one thing. He's getting skittish. I don't know how that's going to work out or if he should be given more time not starting or what. I wouldn't yell if they did it either.
I'm not really trying to argue the point too hard, it's just that the situations were far different for one thing and trying to equate Hill to Rivers seems like a bit of a stretch.

And, I don't really care which QB they start at this point. Neither is the future and neither gives the team a real good chance to win now. Even if one of them did, Schottenheimer is still on my "must get rid of list" so I don't really know how that's going to happen if the offense has success.

Of course, if they get rid of Schottenheimer that likely means a new system. Which could be a good thing but generally it just means at least a half a season of a learning curve. His departure would also likely mean Bradford's departure so the offense would REALLY be starting over. Again.

And there really isn't much in the last 10 years to indicate starting over is going to turn out well.

Damned if I do....

Athos

Legend
Fuck.....put in Keenum. Might as well try all the damn options. Fuck this season. Lose out for Mariota.

If we lose to the Raiders, that moves them up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
freak.....put in Keenum. Might as well try all the damn options. freak this season. Lose out for Mariota.

If we lose to the Raiders, that moves them up.
I was thinking this earlier. Idk. Hard for me to utter that four-letter word that starts with "T."
I still want to fuck things up for one of the other divisional teams.

Alan

Legend
moklerman thinking there's no value:
And, I don't really care which QB they start at this point. Neither is the future and neither gives the team a real good chance to win now. Even if one of them did, Schottenheimer is still on my "must get rid of list" so I don't really know how that's going to happen if the offense has success.

Of course, if they get rid of Schottenheimer that likely means a new system. Which could be a good thing but generally it just means at least a half a season of a learning curve. His departure would also likely mean Bradford's departure so the offense would REALLY be starting over. Again.

And there really isn't much in the last 10 years to indicate starting over is going to turn out well.
It's good to have a 3rd QB. Why bother having one if you're going to pick one of the street who doesn't know your system. I think there's value in finding out exactly what we have. He played pretty well in some games and our O-line sure didn't give him any breaks. There's nothing we need to find out about Hill and he's expensive too.

Getting rid of any coordinator is always bad so I agree with you about that for sure.

Athos

Legend
I was thinking this earlier. Idk. Hard for me to utter that four-letter word that starts with "T."
I still want to freak things up for one of the other divisional teams.

I mean, we play the Raiders, ForeSkins, and Giants. Say the Giants win (currently up on Cowgirls) that brings them to 4 wins. Win against the Rams brings them to five. Losing to Raiders brings them to 2. Losing to Foreskins brings them to 4.

Keep the draft chain moving.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
You and me both! :LOL: But as I look at the last two games I see a decent backup rent-a-QB. You knew that when we signed a perennial 34 year old back up QB. I think his play has earned the money we paid him. The only reason I wanted Davis to play was because even though he wasn't as good as Hill, there was the possibility of upside. Upside that didn't exist with Hill. I really didn't see us surviving the blow of loosing SB so this year is all about the development of our players for me.
I figured that was why Fish went with Davis. Wanted to see what he had! He did,now he's getting what the Rams paid out by playing Hill the rest of the season! :sneaky::D

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It is time to get Keenum in there to see what he can do. If they are not going to use him now then why is he even on the team?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It is time to get Keenum in there to see what he can do. If they are not going to use him now then why is he even on the team?
He's there for emergency backup. It's going to be Hill or Davis for the last 5 games unless both are hurt. Probably Hill for the last 5.

I see absolutely no reason Keenum would do any better.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Texans now in similar boat to Rams. Mallett has torn right pec muscle, likely done for the year. Do they draft someone or go with Mallett based on what he's done so far? Talk about a team that just needs a QB. The Texans have missed out on the Super Bowl because of QB ineptitude/injuries.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Yet another season that ends prematurely. I'm just tired of losing seasons. I have seen at least 10 teams fall from the top and rise back again in this drought span for the Rams. We seem stuck just below the surface. When will our fortunes turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.