OBJ torn ACL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
He can have a piece of my patellar. I don't use it much anymore.
It’s good that you used sarcasm font. We would want the classic Monty Python organ donor sketch to play out:

<Knock knock>
“Rams medical staff. We’ve come for your patella tendon!”

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspected this when I saw it, and also given his demeanor on the sidelines afterward.

Given that it wasn't a "gruesome twisting injury", there probably wasn't damage to other structures or ligaments, so that won't complicate his rehab. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Time to change yur name! to "LVIwin" !!!!!!

Last edited:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Shannon sharpe said same knee
https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/odell-beckham-jr/6942 this says his right knee and then yesterday was his left so pretty sure opposite knees.
If it is the same knee does that make it harder to heal?
my understanding is when you get a tear you steal material from other ligaments to fix the torn one so its almost bandaged together if you will. i dont think its harder to heal the 2nd time but probably more likely to occur again

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
....does SoFI have a turf monster problem??
First Woods, now OBJ?? anyone else I'm missing?
I hear acl injuries have more to do with how you workout. I know it sounds funny but apparently squat exercises strain your ACL and can theoretically weaken it. Some teams have already stopped doing any type of squat exercise. I guess it was a soccer team that originally started the trend.

I tried looking for it but couldn't find it. I think someone on this board actually posted an article about it

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Time to change yur name! to "LVIwin" !!!!!!
Lol, yeah, I've been thinking about that, I just might!

And just to keep things consistent, I might have to update the "coach and QB victory hug after the SB" photo:

74F4DB38-19C1-4B15-9605-5840135416CB.jpeg

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My pre-2021 negative thoughts & opinions on OBJ have flipped completely. I feel really bad for him on this bad knee injury. Both Kupp & Woods have had ACL tears & reconstructions now & should offer up a good cheer to assist OBJ through this repeat rehabbing event that is upcoming.

The younger Kupp used his rehabbing event to help make him the most feared receiver in the NFL today. He came back faster quicker stronger.

I would imagine that WR Robert Woods even though he is past 30 now should come close to achieving what Cooper Kupp was able to do. I would be fine with the Rams Org resigning OBJ to a new contract even with the knowledge that OBJ will miss most of the 2022 regular season. I want the trio of Kupp/Woods & OBJ to be playing in our next season 2022 playoff run.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We wouldn't have reached the super bowl without him. Hope we can work out a way to keep him
True. With Woods out I’d say definitely not. If Woods was healthy I think there’s still a good chance to make the big game

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
So how much of the season would he miss exactly if he returned with no complications/setbacks? I've noticed some say most of the season, some say a couple of games.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So how much of the season would he miss exactly if he returned with no complications/setbacks? I've noticed some say most of the season, some say a couple of games.
It’s an 8 month recovery, at least, from what I’ve read.

Not sure if it’s something that could be accelerated like Akers.. but let’s remember it’s the same knee he blew out already.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Like Kupped said, 7-8 months. The problem is that most player who tear their ACL always say that it's really after the 1+ year they really feel at 100%. So he might be able to come back fast, but we'll see how long it takes for him to be back to his old self.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
9 months at a minimum if he’s got a full tear. Usually 12 to run with full contact. Although he knows what he has to do on top of vast medical improvements. Still think he’s out 2022 unfortunately.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
9 months at a minimum if he’s got a full tear. Usually 12 to run with full contact. Although he knows what he has to do on top of vast medical improvements. Still think he’s out 2022 unfortunately.
Wentz tore his in mid Dec, missed two gms. So probably looking at at least 10 games or more considering the position he plays.

My son said he saw an article earlier, maybe a few months ago, that there was fear his first ACL surgery never healed correctly and that he could tear it again. And there was a thought at one point to go back in and correct it.

So maybe this was a simple re-tear and not a case of other ligament damage. Wentz also tore his MCL as well.

So might be a case of them being able to repair it right this time.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am no doctor, but intuitively, you think recovery time would vary on factors such as the extent of the damage, the location and type of tear, etc. So let's just hope for the best and mentally prepare for the worst.

And even once the ACL is "healed", how long will it take him to get back into NFL football shape? And to feel comfortable enough mentally with his twice injured knee to go full tilt in a game? Or.... do those things ever happen? Is he ever the same? I would not bet against OBJ.

I would re-sign him and have a realistic hope of him essentially being a playoff contributor. Kupp/Woods/Jefferson is a mighty fine trio so OBJ should take his time and not return until 100%. I would do a 2 year deal, if he is interested and the two sides can make the money work.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

legend has it that adrian peterson tore his acl in late december one year then came back the next season and ran for over 2,000 yards.

i wouldn't count out obj just yet.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think worst case scenario if we resign OBJ he'll be 100% by playoffs next year so still worth having him because you never know what the WR room will look like by that time. Average case scenario we'd have him for playoff push come November-December. Best case and least likely scenario he's playing before week 9.

If we bring back OBJ it'll be to bolster the WR depth for playoff time. As we already know, the NFL is a game of attrition so it wouldn't be a bad thing having a WR of his caliber becoming available towards the end of the season.