Now THAT'S a crap call

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is going to burn the NFL during a Super Bowl.

You wanna see fans quit? Forget any boycotts over whatever.

You take a person's gambling money or cost their team a Lombardi? People will walk away fast.

Very fast.

we didn't walk away after the biggest sting in nfl history back in superbowl 36.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Here is Al Riveron from the NFL explaining the ruling.

Say what you will about the rule, but the replay ref interpreted the play properly.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/nflfootballops/status/942559627295764480

And I agree with kurtfaulk’s comment— if the rule is changed, there are bound to be consequences in the other direction, too.

This play looks exactly like the Dez play— receiver makes a football move (lunges ball forward ) “while going to the ground.”

RedRam

Pro Bowler
The NFL is clear as mud on this type of call. They need to figure it out. Bring clarity to the teams, the players and the fans. Figure it out!!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he was a running back or a runner in that situation it's a TD.
The way the rule is written it was not a completed catch. After the first replay I was saying it was incomplete.
What it means is the rule is inexcusably badly written.

Agreed, man.

I'm taking back my comments RE- refs. Still a dumbass rule.

Rams win. Check.

Win fantasy week. Check.

Hope my fav in the AFC takes down the NE Patriots...no.

Still salty.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Say what you will about the rule, but the replay ref interpreted the play properly.

And I agree with kurtfaulk’s comment— if the rule is changed, there are bound to be consequences in the other direction, too.

This play looks exactly like the Dez play— receiver makes a football move (lunges ball forward ) “while going to the ground.”

Okay.

Either they screwed up on the "football move" for the Pittsburgh TE (and Dez and others)...OR...

It's a crap rule that's not enforced uniformly and costs teams whole seasons in an instant.

Yet another brick in my "brick bunker of a building" that argues for full-time refs that train all off-season together with the league and competition committee going over and over WHAT constitutes each call, from holding to what a catch is including Touchdown plays.

Because this crap is just wearing me out.

If the Rams weren't doing so well, that honestly might have been the last straw for me.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Easiest way to rewrite the rule is to ignore going to the ground once the player completes the process of the catch. Two feet down (or whatever else is satisfactory) + football move = catch. Anything that happens afterwards is irrelevant. The majority of the plays would not be changed, but the plays where players clearly catch the ball and lunge for the end-zone would stop getting overturned.

I disagree with you, Jrry. The receiver should just hold on to the ball in the first place. If the rule is changed, you now have to distinguish between a fumble or incomplete pass on bang-bang plays, and I think that call is a tougher one for the refs to make. This rule is not hard to understand, just hold onto the don't let it move when it hits the ground.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I disagree with you, Jrry. The receiver should just hold on to the ball in the first place. If the rule is changed, you now have to distinguish between a fumble or incomplete pass on bang-bang plays, and I think that call is a tougher one for the refs to make. This rule is not hard to understand, just hold onto the don't let it move when it hits the ground.
I'm with @jrry32 here. If you make a football move, then it's a catch, similar to the ground can't cause a fumble, ESPECIALLY>>>if in the end zone. IMO. 2 feet down, football move. I'm good. I understand that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The rule isn't hard to understand until you see it in action. And then you have a lot of nonsensical rulings where a guy clearly caught the ball and made a move to score but ends up with an incomplete pass, like today.

I think it's stupid that you're going to ask a receiver who has caught the ball to pass up a TD or first down conversion in order to avoid overturning a stupid rule. It's not a hard call to make. It's an easy call to make. Did he get his feet down? If yes, did he make a football move? If yes, it's a catch. Did the ball get into the end-zone? If yes, it's a TD. If no, was he down by contact when it got knocked out? If no, that's a fumble.

It's very simple, and it would prevent the asinine results that end up with people pissed off because a clear catch was turned into an incomplete pass.

It's easy to sit here and say, "Hold onto the ball." But you're not the NFL player catching the ball in the final seconds who is trying to make sure he gets into the end-zone instead of touched down at the one yard-line.

P.S. You already have to distinguish between a fumble and an incomplete pass.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
On the play we are talking bout. It was a catch, then his knee was down, so no fumble. If his knee wasn't down, then it WAS a fumble, and we recovered it.

Ellard80

Legend
If you have possession of the ball, and the plane of the EZ is broken while you are in possession it's a TD.

He did that.

The instant the ball crosses into the end zone in a persons grasp the play is over it's a TD.

He had the ball.

The moment that happens on the goal line the play is over.

crap call by the refs and this is a BIG reason why fans are tuning out.........

When you are catching a football the play is not over as soon as the ball crosses the goaline... A catch is a catch.. you have to control it all the way to the ground and not let the ground hit it and lose control. When James tried to twist it into the endzone he never completed the process of the catch.

The rule is strange.. but then again I'm not sure how they should make the rule.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The consequence is that this becomes a TD:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uag-ClYRMs

This also becomes a TD:
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000541000/Bengals-Tyler-Eifert-overturned-TD-catch

And suddenly, the rule starts to make sense.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The rules only seem to make .....some sense....if you win.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agreed, man.

I'm taking back my comments RE- refs. Still a dumbass rule.

Rams win. Check.

Win fantasy week. Check.

Hope my fav in the AFC takes down the NE Patriots...no.

Still salty.
I hear ya.
Don't worry.
If history means anything there will be a judgement call that is obviously wrong that will go tbe pats way come playoff time.

fearsomefour

Legend
When you are catching a football the play is not over as soon as the ball crosses the goaline... A catch is a catch.. you have to control it all the way to the ground and not let the ground hit it and lose control. When James tried to twist it into the endzone he never completed the process of the catch.

The rule is strange.. but then again I'm not sure how they should make the rule.
Well, there certainly can be an arguement made that having control of the ball when it breaks the plane is all that matters.
Possession is different down there for a runner but not a receiver who has possession of the ball like James of the Steelers today.
A RB dives and breaks the plane then drops the ball it is not a fumble it is a TD. The definition of what a catch is is what's messed up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a crap rule that's not enforced uniformly and costs teams whole seasons in an instant.
I agree with everything you are saying on this topic, except this.
They have been calling this consistently. I believe it’s consistently wrong but still they are calling it the same for all wr

Ellard80

Legend
Well, there certainly can be an arguement made that having control of the ball when it breaks the plane is all that matters.
Possession is different down there for a runner but not a receiver who has possession of the ball like James of the Steelers today.
A RB dives and breaks the plane then drops the ball it is not a fumble it is a TD. The definition of what a catch is is what's messed up.

It's an entirely different thing when its a runner not trying to make a catch.. if you have caught the ball and are running with it and dive over the endzone than yeah... all that matters is that it crossed.

Honestly people can not like the rule and that's understandable - but its pretty clear how they call it.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's an entirely different thing when its a runner not trying to make a catch.. if you have caught the ball and are running with it and dive over the endzone than yeah... all that matters is that it crossed.

Honestly people can not like the rule and that's understandable - but its pretty clear how they call it.
I agree.
It's just silly.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I agree with everything you are saying on this topic, except this.
They have been calling this consistently. I believe it’s consistently wrong but still they are calling it the same for all wr

How many videos of examples proving it's NOT enforced uniformly to do ya need?

This is one topic where people have made tons of hay making videos EXPRESSLY proving that it's NOT uniformly enforced.

The video showing Calvin Johnson's catch being overturned, but Victor Cruz's was upheld that's just posted above is just one example.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Either they screwed up on the "football move" for the Pittsburgh TE (and Dez and others)...OR...

I’m with dieter on this one, Mackeyser.. from what I’ve seen, the NFL has been pretty conisistent in enforcing this rule. I have not seen the vids you mention that expose discrepancies in enforcement. Here’s an interesting article that actually defends the current catch rules:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...5/12/9/9867846/nfl-catch-rule-smart-explained

Two sentences I find interesting from the article are:
“There has never been and never will be a perfect catch rule that is void of subjectivity and human error....The other tidbit that's important to note before diving in too far is what utter nonsense is the notion that "no one knows what a catch is anymore."

Moving on:

Jrry, thanks for pointing out the other side of the debate and the consequences of changing the rule.

I think it would be really hard to come up with a rule that would please every one in all circumstances.

Last edited: