Noteboom & Allen both injured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Shanahan can even run the ball successfully with back up Online men and 6th round, or UDFA free agent runningbacks. Why is it such a challenge for the Rams to figure out what the 49ers do well evaluating RBs and Olinemen?

I was happy with some of what I saw in the running game but Shanahan doesn't have to bring in extra Online men to move the chains.

The Niners are the biggest obstacle to the Rams. That's why I look at what they are doing.
It also sounds like the Packers are running at will.

Looks like the 49ers RB acquisition system has a big luck component that probably can't be copied:

View: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1565089846934355969

So if the rat drafts an RB he won't last but if it's an UDFA he'll be good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shanahan can even run the ball successfully with back up Online men and 6th round, or UDFA free agent runningbacks. Why is it such a challenge for the Rams to figure out what the 49ers do well evaluating RBs and Olinemen?
Yeah it's crazy. I think his pops gave him his secrets because it was similar with his offenses.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looks like the 49ers RB acquisition system has a big luck component that probably can't be copied:

Well what the last trade up I was sort of PISSED off. Why would you ever trade with an opponent For LESS Value in the Draft Chart?

Then if you look at the result IMO it was Earnes Brown & J. Harris ?

The fact the Miners cut that pick really makes me feel a lot better.I don’t wish players bad,but if he makes it with say the Browns I would be happy even more.Making it more about how bad that team in SF is.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah it's crazy. I think his pops gave him his secrets because it was similar with his offenses.
Mike Shanahan always found a running game mid 90’s to late 2000’s.

Lose a running back to injury… Didn’t matter. Insert next guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I recall during a game the announcers were talking about what he looks for in a RB. He said number one is that they can hit the hole hard and fast.

So my guess is that the holes don’t have to be open very long if a guy can blow through it. They didn’t mention long speed or juking. It’s all about that initial burst. Then I guess the hole has to be where it’s supposed to be, so his line would have to be powerful enough to create it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love the way Jackson usually leaves room for the QB to step up in the pocket. He anchors so well and I'm sure Stafford loves that. Of course the left side eradicates pocket space the way they give up ground on most snaps.

Edwards has really devolved in pass pro. I don't know what's going on with him but it almost looks like he's been coached to let the DL pick then seal him. He gives the shoulder then locks him up but that can make the QB move his feet which isn't ideal. They need to get him going he can play better than we're seeing.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I get giving guys time to settle in and the season just started but Alaric Jackson is looking too good to be a backup lineman. I HOPE Noteboom settles in and plays like he did during the playoffs last season but if Note goes down with an injury and Jackson is able to slide into his spot, I have a feeling he's not giving it back.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I get giving guys time to settle in and the season just started but Alaric Jackson (who also didn't have a preseason) is looking too good to be a backup lineman. I HOPE Noteboom settles in and plays like he did during the playoffs last season but if Note goes down with an injury and Jackson is able to slide into his spot, I have a feeling he's not giving it back.
Jackson played in the Preseason ... pretty sure anyway.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If I remember correctly,
His dad's Olines weren't big at all.
He drafted smaller , quick linemen and ran a Zone Blocking scheme, always pulling guards to open holes.

What I really found intriguing against ATL, was McVay using Skow as a lead blocker. Even lining up in "I" formation.
I dont recall seeing that formation in McVays offense.
(Not since he's been a Ram, anyway)

dang

Legend
I must've misunderstood..

Because Noteboom was taking care of business on that rep and Stafford just made an awful decision.
The Rams are committed to Noteboom and Hav for the next couple years. As a result they need to build a better IOL so Stafford can step up in the pocket if he gets edge pressure. And for gosh sakes have a decent run game. For long time Rams fans the current rush attack effectiveness is close to an all time low.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I remember correctly,
His dad's Olines weren't big at all.
He drafted smaller , quick linemen and ran a Zone Blocking scheme, always pulling guards to open holes.

What I really found intriguing against ATL, was McVay using Skow as a lead blocker. Even lining up in "I" formation.
I dont recall seeing that formation in McVays offense.
(Not since he's been a Ram, anyway)
Yes his pops took advantage of smaller OL. And McVay did use Skow as lead blocker last year, just out of motion.

The backfield usage is a nod to Shanny's approach, which I am glad to see, though I don't think fundamentally he will ever be like him. Shanny's entire focus is getting to 30 carries. McVay is impatient and prefers to throw the ball. I think that carries over to team identity, where a McVay team will never be consistently physical running the ball, as it is something he does vs something he loves.

Re: what he can do with Skow comes down to player limits. Justzvikc or whatever his name is brings a full FB functionality and is very tough. Skow is bigger and not as potent blocking but he offers more pass game options. You can use him in the pattern with success where his counterpart cannot offer advantages.

These two guys are driving league tendencies and what is funny is most of the league follow McVay's lead which must piss Shanny off. McVay is a rock star and all that but in the end it is about how to best establish the run and use it in conjunction with the pass game. McVay basically jumped ahead by getting a better QB so once again I am hoping Shanny tires of SF's owner and bails to find a better situation. Because he will never be on equal footing with McVay when he has one of the best owners fueling his approach.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yes, Alaric Jackson played in all 3 preseason games & played LT & RG most all the snaps. The Rams OL'ers who played RG in the preseason were Jack Snyder (cut), Tremayne Anchrum (IR)& Logan Bruss (IR).
I thought Jackson and Anchrum sat out the third game because that led me to believe they had the top-two reserve spots secured.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought Jackson and Anchrum sat out the third game because that led me to believe they had the top-two reserve spots secured.
You would be correct! Jackson & Anchrum suited up & were available to play that 3rd preseason gm. but did not get any snaps. OT posts were handled by Arcuri/Evans & Pircher. Jack Snyder took all the snaps @ RG.

At that time (last gm of preseason) Coach Carberry was ready to go with Anchrum & Jackson as his RG's until he could get Brian Allen Back @ center & then move Shelton back into the RG post with Anchrum being the swing OG reserve. Now, all that has been changed.

Last week's injury to starting RG Anchrum will cause coach Carberry to revamp that earlier plan. This will be Alaric Jackson's first assigned start in the NFL @ RG. Up till now, Jackson did play most of last Year's Vikings game @ LT but did not start. Last week Against the Falcons Jackson was the reserve @ RG. But this week Jackson is going into a game as "STARTER".

Jackson is a much larger- thicker{ Approx 320 plus lbs}-taller{6-5 5/8ths} OL'er than alligator arms Shelton. Carberry will have a big decision upcoming when Allen or if Allen ever returns to full health. Removing the larger bigger OL to insert two smaller interior OL'ers combo like Allen 301 lbs /Shelton 299lbs. When you see Jackson & the 6-8 330 lbs plus Havenstein standing next to each other, Jackson looks as thick & broad as Hav & almost as tall. Then when you get a look @ Shelton standing next to Jackson, well this is where you can really see a big difference in size.

Rams drafted OT Logan Bruss to be the new starting RG. Then he was beaten out by our small reserve center Shelton then the injury to reserve RG Bruss then injury to OC Brian Allen then reserve RG Tremayne Anchrum. Now it's Jackson's turn to start @ RG.

If were my decision I would not kick Alaric Jackson out of the starting lineup @ any time during the rest of this season. Time to have some continuity!

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Van Jefferson to short-term-IR, Grant Haley to the 53-man-roster, Jacob Harris will be active tomorrow (same as last week) and Keir Thomas cleared waivers and was signed to the Practice Squad.

Per Jourdan Rodrigue.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Van Jefferson to short-term-IR, Grant Haley to the 53-man-roster, Jacob Harris will be active tomorrow (same as last week) and Keir Thomas cleared waivers and was signed to the Practice Squad.

Per Jourdan Rodrigue.

So Van Jeff will miss another 4 games at least ? Damn !

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Well, the injury bug had avoided us decently for a few years. Bound to catch up. Jefferson hasn't been quite right since last year.

oldnotdead

Legend
All you have to do is look at the difference in how Juszczyk blocks and Skowroneck blocks to see the difference. Juszczyk is a FB and blocks like one. He will blow a LB out of a gap whereas Skowronek blocks like a WR, i.e. he impedes the LB but doesn't really move him. That is why for years I've been saying if McVay is serious about running then use a power blocked scheme for his OL and use a FB for a lead blocker to get that last LB out of the way. We saw how effective it was with Benny Skow who allowed the RB to get through the hole.

It's about blocking schemes and personnel, i.e. using a FB. If you run without a FB you are really limited to OL zone concepts. This is why in the Ram's first SB the Pats went with a 6 man front. Without a FB lead blocker, there was always one man too many to block. It's why that front still works when teams want to shut the Ram run game down.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So Van Jeff will miss another 4 games at least ? Damn !
If there ever was a time to see if the two unused speedsters can successfully run deep routes, now is the time.

There is no way for a coach and QB to build confidence in new players if they don’t give them any opportunities to prove themselves.