Noteboom & Allen both injured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Well again we know who Stafford is and he's going to need to get back to the guy he was during the playoffs. He's gonna need to dial back the risky throws.

Another problem with that pass is he put it on a rope, so if it's not perfectly placed for a highpoint it's a high chance of INT. Give it a higher trajectory, though, and it's not too terrible a decision as Higs should be able to fight for it.

Of course Higs has never been a guy who comes down with the ball in contested situations. So that reinforces not throwing it to him unless he's actually open. But either way Robinson should have been the guy running that route in that situation. It's why we're paying him and he will either come down with it or ensure the other dude doesn't.

Oh ofcourse with Stafford. I Think it's a given we'll get some mistakes mixed in with some amazing play...but I do see Noteboom start to lose his rep against a subpar pass rusher which is worrying...the game plan was made to get the ball out quickly and HIDE Rams' pass pro problems but it's worrying given the game plan that he still manages to stick out in a bad way...Do i want him to get better? OFCOURSE...I just don't know how some can objectively say he's playing well given whats going on infront of us.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Stop with your crusade dude. Nobody is bashing Boom. He needs to play better.
That guy was, in case you missed his response.

And, no shit.. we know this and I acknowledged he ain't Whit. But he wasn't a problem this week.

We all knew we were going to see a downgrade in play from LT, did we not?

Or did people on here expect the same level of performance from Boom as Whit?

He got fucking LIT UP by Von Miller.. and he's not the first guy that's happened to.

Against a mediocre pass-rush, he did fine. We'll see how he fares against good edge rushers in future games.. I just don't understand the desire to imagine problems... like the previous poster did on the interception Stafford threw to the end zone.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Oh ofcourse with Stafford. I Think it's a given we'll get some mistakes mixed in with some amazing play...but I do see Noteboom start to lose his battle against a subpar pass rusher which is worrying...the game plan was made to get the ball out quickly and HIDE Rams' pass pro problems but it's worrying given the game plan that he still manages to stick out in a bad way...Do i want him to get better? OFCOURSE...I just don't know how some can objectively say he's playing well given whats going on infront of us.
But Noteboom's play didn't contribute to that bad decision.... at all.

I'm not saying Boom is a wall.. I'm saying he wasn't playing bad.

He needs to improve, sure... but these are all NFL players and you're not gonna stone pass rushers on every play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh ofcourse with Stafford. I Think it's a given we'll get some mistakes mixed in with some amazing play...but I do see Noteboom start to lose his battle against a subpar pass rusher which is worrying...the game plan was made to get the ball out quickly and HIDE Rams' pass pro problems but it's worrying given the game plan that he still manages to stick out in a bad way...Do i want him to get better? OFCOURSE...I just don't know how some can objectively say he's playing well given whats going on infront of us.
None of these guys got the benefit of preseason. Then they ran into a buzzsaw with that Buffalo roster who is playing lights out right now. Von was an insane matchup for week one given that, which is why I said before the game that Boom was gonna struggle. I knew that would happen, but I did not expect him to completely disintegrate.

My concern with Boom is his competitive drive. It seems like on his bad outings he has a tendency to get down vice fight back. This goes back to him getting trucked on the interior early on, where his mentality probably made things hard on him.

But either way there is time and plenty of games ahead to measure him and the rest of this offense. SF is week 4 which should see an offense that is hitting on all cylinders. So that's going to be his biggest early season milestone (after that Buffalo opener which was his first huge test).

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Stop with your crusade dude. Nobody is bashing Boom. He needs to play better.

Reminds me of Goff's last year with us...tons on this board wanted us to keep Goff and ignore his awful league-leading turnover play even tho McVay was trying to hide it in a quick pass, ball control offense...simply because we had been to a superbowl with him before.

I understand there's good film on Noteboom during TB last year but for whatever reason, thats not the same play we are getting now. I see a guy who's struggling and now we've had to adjust how we play offense because of it....

i HOPE this is him just settling in and he along with the rest line improves. I was looking for a home game against a team with a bottom 3rd ranked pass rush to be a statement game for him and I don't think this was it.

MachS

Hall of Fame
None of these guys got the benefit of preseason
A big point I think a lot are missing. We had a crazy off-season with a SB win and we also usually get two weeks of joint practice in every training camp but this year we only got one. The Chargers joint practices were cancelled so all we really had was the Cincy week. Plus Stafford didnt participate and throw much at all for months. Ramsey didnt participate and play for months. The OL had a new piece and didn't really have a chance to get tested properly. The Bills came out ready and sharp and fucked us up.

I expect us to get into a rhythm and play better overall during the next few weeks. To me a big indication was Stafford's arm week 1 to week 2. To me versus the Bills his arm didn't show a lot of life. His velocity was way down, yet versus ATL it seemed pretty close to what we saw last year. Im sure many players on the team are trying to get themselves back into form as well.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I cant disagree with either take really. I've always been a boom guy at LT but as @Merlin said let's give it til at least week 4 having said that something does seem off though seems it's hard to develop a real sync where you believe in it and I know Stafford starters like 12-12 but there's just a sense of uneasiness there. Having said that it's early and a bum knee now but I can't say I'm completely confident or committed at this time but agree after week 4 the answer may make itself more clear.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
My strategy was to run it for a first down. They didn’t even try bringing in another Olinemen like they did during the one game last year. ... Bring in a fullback or Olineman and commit to it. Try to get the first down.

Then taking the safety and kicking it back to the Falcons is not necessary.

I think your frustration is preventing you from seeing things accurately. That can happen.

On the first down run, the Rams gained five yards running to the right behind RG, RT and Bobby Evans who WAS in the game as an extra O-Lineman. To Evans right were BOTH of the active TEs (Higbee and Hopkins).

On second down, those same three players remained in the game and were lined-up on the left-side.

McVay did EXACTLY what you wrote above that you wanted him to do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think your frustration is preventing you from seeing things accurately. That can happen.

On the first down run, the Rams gained five yards running to the right behind RG, RT and Bobby Evans who WAS in the game as an extra O-Lineman. To Evans right were BOTH of the active TEs (Higbee and Hopkins).

On second down, those same three players remained in the game and were lined-up on the left-side.

I missed the end. I only saw the highlights

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

But knowing that actually makes it sound a bit worse. With extra Oline, some of the best blocking receivers in the game and two tight ends they still didn’t get the first down?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I guess, for me, this is kind of where my disagreement really is focused.

It's not a big-picture problem. The Rams won the Super Bowl last year and didn't have that kind of an offense. Would it be nice to have an offense that could do EVERYTHING? Yes. Yes, it would be. But they don't.
They showed last year that they could win without the kind of run game that wears people down.

Don't get me wrong... I don't want a shitty run game like last season.. and I hope they're better this season.
But I'm just not concerned about them not being able to win the way you describe, as long as they win.
To me it’s an important aspect of the game. Being able to run effectively when needed saves the team from sketchy late game situations. The inability to get that first down nearly cost them the game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it’s an important aspect of the game. Being able to run effectively when needed saves the team from sketchy late game situations. The inability to get that first down nearly cost them the game.
I'm sure McVay would agree with you. I remember an article from the time he was hired where he was breaking down the 9ers drive that ended with that overrated catch and he went on about how the run game made it happen. I thought to myself "this guy." But of course the spirit of Mad Mike still haunts the hallowed halls of Rams park.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And the success rate of passing the ball was probably higher.

I just think the notion that they HAD to run isn’t cannon in football.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Don’t get me wrong.. it’d be great to be more complete and be able to run better.
I just think that people default to their core preferences when their team has a bad game.
I’d like them to be better running… but I think THE PROBLEM is turning the ball over and doing a bad job in punt protection.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this level the problem can be a guy taking a false start penalty that leads to deeper drops and then a QB sack with a fumble. Anything that makes you fall behind the chains. Difference in great teams and average teams is that one guy here and there not doing his job.

McVay definitely is trying to get the run game going. But he is that polar opposite of Shanny and always will be. Where Shanny's goals offensively are to be able to run the ball 30 times (which means efficiency is there to get to that count), McVay's goals are always pass game oriented and it shows in the product on the field. Both approaches work. But whatever it is you do the more balanced you are the better your offense will be and the better you'll be able to survive winning four straight in the playoffs to hoist that Lombardi.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
At this level the problem can be a guy taking a false start penalty that leads to deeper drops and then a QB sack with a fumble. Anything that makes you fall behind the chains. Difference in great teams and average teams is that one guy here and there not doing his job.

McVay definitely is trying to get the run game going. But he is that polar opposite of Shanny and always will be. Where Shanny's goals offensively are to be able to run the ball 30 times (which means efficiency is there to get to that count), McVay's goals are always pass game oriented and it shows in the product on the field. Both approaches work. But whatever it is you do the more balanced you are the better your offense will be and the better you'll be able to survive winning four straight in the playoffs to hoist that Lombardi.
Shanahan can even run the ball successfully with back up Online men and 6th round, or UDFA free agent runningbacks. Why is it such a challenge for the Rams to figure out what the 49ers do well evaluating RBs and Olinemen?

I was happy with some of what I saw in the running game but Shanahan doesn't have to bring in extra Online men to move the chains.

The Niners are the biggest obstacle to the Rams. That's why I look at what they are doing.
It also sounds like the Packers are running at will.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Shanahan can even run the ball successfully with back up Online men and 6th round, or UDFA free agent runningbacks. Why is it such a challenge for the Rams to figure out what the 49ers do well evaluating RBs and Olinemen?

I was happy with some of what I saw in the running game but Shanahan doesn't have to bring in extra Online men to move the chains.

The Niners are the biggest obstacle to the Rams. That's why I look at what they are doing.
Didn't Shanahan say that they look for they run blockers because it's so easy to pass block that anyone can do it? If I'm remembering that correctly, I'd guess that's why they run block well and essentially require very short passes (for the most part).

MachS

Hall of Fame

Shannahan prioritizes toughness and run blocking in their OL, they spend a high draft capital and FA dollars on top OL talent, plus he is a genius at scheming up the run game lets be honest. As a pure offensive mind I'd probably give the nod to Shanny over McVay, however McVay's leadership qualities and ability to build a culture are second to none which is why he's the much better coach. But McVay's philosophy on OL seems to be different, he seems to prioritize pass blocking and OL versatility over raw talent. This has lead to multiple years of average to below average OL's in his tenure already. But we did win a SB with this formula so it's hard to imagine him changing his ways IMO. Plus he's so cocky he probably believes he can just scheme around an average OL and get yards based on playcalling and game planning advantage.