Norv Turner resigns in Minnesota

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're way off on that one. Today's game adjusted to Mike Martz.

Only concern I have with the guy is he's old and not used to the grind. As I have said before I'd hire him as an "Offensive Consultant" and have him around in the organization as a sounding board for the coaching staff, to include the head coach.

That's totally wrong. The NFL adjusted to Mike Martz a decade ago. Martz is out of football because the game has progressed past him, and he refuses to adapt.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's totally wrong. The NFL adjusted to Mike Martz a decade ago. Martz is out of football because the game has progressed past him
In what way has the game progressed past him?
Not bagging on you - just curious what your thoughts are about that.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Im fine with Boras and Groh. They need to get the run game going. That is my only concern. Passing game has been on point when executed well and Qb has thrown it well. Seems what we really need is not a new OC, but to add a running game coordinator like we did in the passing game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He probably resigned because he was getting his QB killed by not being more flexible.
Please correct me IF I'm wrong! But aren't both the Vikings starting OT's out injured!?! And IF I'm correct, don't you think that could have an effect on Bradford!?!
They Moved the man they had playing ROT to the Left, and Brought in a 'wash-up Jake Long! ( Sorry Jake,you should have retired!)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't want Norv. He's like Mike Martz. He refuses to adapt to today's game.

Agreed, again I believe it could be health related that or the Minnesota winters.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In what way has the game progressed past him?
Not bagging on you - just curious what your thoughts are about that.

Today's NFL is heavy on 3-step drops, spreading the field horizontally, high-percentage passing, and minimizing turnovers. Martz's concepts are absolutely still used. But Martz's offense was built on deep drops, long-developing routes, high-risk plays, and spreading the field vertically. Modern offenses have gone away from that. Plus, Martz never quite seemed to accept the concept of a pass-catching TE.

Please correct me IF I'm wrong! But aren't both the Vikings starting OT's out injured!?! And IF I'm correct, don't you think that could have an effect on Bradford!?!
They Moved the man they had playing ROT to the Left, and Brought in a 'wash-up Jake Long! ( Sorry Jake,you should have retired!)

That's the problem, Dave. Their OL is in shambles, but Norv still wants to run the offense like nothing is wrong. He wants to utilize his long-developing routes and deep drops when they can't block for those plays.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Damn, I miss fun, exciting football! Bring back Martz! I could get used to bitching about "wasted" timeouts and 7-9 being the floor instead of the absolute ceiling of our team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Obviously, they are not going to install anything new mid-season... but, it's almost unbelievable when you think about the different coordinators he's had over the years.

Wow.

Well Sam Bradford at QB with Jake Long at LT . It's amazing they both can still are playing. I'm guessing one of them is going to get hurt soon.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Key on ESPN710 was saying this morning that "his people" he knows "very close" to the situation says he's going to Oregon to coach in the college ranks. (his alma mater)

How did so many people read past this? It makes sense. He could be ready to take over at Oregon as soon as the college season ends. Stepping down now would give him time to work on a staff and they could be ready in December and start working on keeping the recruiting class together. When coaches are fired much of the current recruiting class dispersed.

I wonder though, how easy it is for an older NFL guy to adapt to the college coaching world. Recruiting is a younger man's game. Relating to youth is a plus. Maybe Lovie told him that it is a piece of cake. Just like in the NFL you have to produce to keep your job, unless you are Jeff Fisher of course.

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Today's NFL is heavy on 3-step drops, spreading the field horizontally, high-percentage passing, and minimizing turnovers. Martz's concepts are absolutely still used. But Martz's offense was built on deep drops, long-developing routes, high-risk plays, and spreading the field vertically. Modern offenses have gone away from that. Plus, Martz never quite seemed to accept the concept of a pass-catching TE.

Jerry I'd say Todd Haley runs a very similar offense in Pittsburgh that Martz ran for the Rams. Utilizing the running back very often out of the backfield (Bell and Faulk similar in numbers of catches yards etc), along with vertical concepts built on 5 to 7 step drops for big plays to guys like Brown and Martavius Bryant. Also funny enough, Haley hasnt really used a pass catching TE much either.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
The viqueens were pretenders anyways. Their record had NOTHING to do with Bradford, and I will forever hate the viqueens for giving the eagles a 1st for a shitty QB. The Cowboys will have a first round bye and homefield advantage in the playoffs . Book it.

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretenders? Hah, the Cowboys are overrated and will get destroyed when they play a real contender.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jerry I'd say Todd Haley runs a very similar offense in Pittsburgh that Martz ran for the Rams. Utilizing the running back very often out of the backfield (Bell and Faulk similar in numbers of catches yards etc), along with vertical concepts built on 5 to 7 step drops for big plays to guys like Brown and Martavius Bryant. Also funny enough, Haley hasnt really used a pass catching TE much either.

In some ways, yes, but I'd still have characterize it differently. Haley runs the Erhardt-Perkins offense. And his offense is very horizontally oriented. Ben is just a vertically-minded passer. Arians ran a system more similar to Martz's, but it was still a bit different.